PDA

View Full Version : The Patient, H., and Pushit

Andorion
11-19-2002, 03:13 PM
I tend to think of these three songs as being related... they all deal with one particular aspect of a relationship: The simultanious attraction/repulsion, the love/hate, pull/push, however you want to call it.

Just like the rest of the album, The Patient seems to be the most mature. You can hear the frustration but it's controlled, and the mood is very resolved - there's the realization (or at least honest hope) that positive outweighs the negative.

Pushit demonstrates the breaking point. It's much angrier, obviously, and makes me feel more tense. Maybe the positive doesn't outweigh the negative, or rather, maybe even if it does, maybe the negative is too much to bear?

The oddest of the three is H., where the subject doesn't even seem to be in control anymore - no determination of The Patient, no anger of Pushit. He's being pulled both ways, being torn apart, and past the point of deciding what to do, either way. A show of emotion when stating the obvious "I am too connected..." then resigned to being 'killed' with a whisper and a shrug.

Anyone else make these connections? Any other songs you'd include in the group? Granted, many of Tool's songs are about relationships, but I think these three go together especially.

~Berj

Croteau
11-19-2002, 04:28 PM
I think i would add "You Lied" to your list... even though itt was written by peach, i think it is in the same ategory as pushit , h., and the patient. i wish i had more to say, it just get the same feeling when i hear those four songs..

SkoomaOGT
11-20-2002, 01:58 PM
that's interesting, because those are my three favorite tool songs, in the order of H., pushit, then the patient. i never really tried to see a connection between the three, other than the fact that they are all kickass.
-jack

FearKills
12-11-2002, 06:03 PM
I definately see a strong connection between these three songs. Very similar to Andorion...here goes..

The Patient seems to be the song where in a relationship, you would be the one recieving an unbearable pain. Your in a position where your emotionaly battered and bruised, but still holding on. Hence - "Keeping Faith, And Still Right Here"

Pushit seems to be The Patients counterpart in a certain sense. The studio recording takes the agressive side in the relationship, the one giving the pain/hurt/anger. But the live recording seems to be the median, like H.

H, as said above and in Andorion's post, serves as the median between these three unbelieveable studio recordings. This song seems to serve as the observation of the actual relationship.

Just my thoughts....

Penguin
12-11-2002, 07:04 PM
Hehe what about The Grudge and Swamp Song? Those can ..bah nevermind.. I'm stupid.. someone else figure it out!

*runs*

Toad
12-17-2002, 08:37 PM
I think if you really thought about it enough, you could link any two tool songs together. Try it, it's fun.

LazyE462
12-24-2002, 08:08 AM
yeah i agree, a lot of tool songs have to do with one facet or another of any type of realtionship, be it bf'gf, religious, family, or any type of relationship you can think of.