PDA

View Full Version : what the song means to me

Voodoo
12-27-2003, 09:54 PM
personally ive always thought it was more of a song to vent to, just to let go, and prepare yourself for the journey thats ahead of you. (the rest of the album)

i'd post more but i'm tired.

ajs.

INNER_STRUGGLE
02-20-2004, 11:18 AM
I think the song is one part of like a two part episode. The grudge is the problem while the second part is schism which means the separation. I dunno they just seem to go together. The statement of the problem and then the separartion.

findmyself
02-21-2004, 06:40 PM
I think the song is one part of like a two part episode. The grudge is the problem while the second part is schism which means the separation. I dunno they just seem to go together. The statement of the problem and then the separartion.

what do YOU think the problem is, exactly?

INNER_STRUGGLE
02-23-2004, 06:24 AM
^^The problem is life in general my man. What else could be the problem? Really I think its a problem wih acceptance and in the end its seperation from life

findmyself
02-23-2004, 11:32 AM
^^The problem is life in general my man. What else could be the problem? Really I think its a problem wih acceptance and in the end its seperation from life

life would not be life, if it was not life. I think that we (I) should try to take what we can from that and go with it. Life is more tolerable, to me, if i look at it from all points of view, and then I can decipher from that my point of veiw. I do agree tho, that people have a hard time with acceptance, especially when talking about life in general, but I think it all boils down to perspective.

Someone once told me, "Cool is what you make it." I didn't undertsand completely what he meant when he said it, but i think that the word cool could be replaced by the word life , meaning that if you veiw the world to be a negative place, then negativity will surround you, and the same should go for positive veiws.

corps d'allumen
03-17-2004, 08:11 AM
On a very broad and general level, I think the song 'The Grudge' is about people stuck in the Ænima phase vs. people that 'get it' and move on. That album was, in my opinion, engineered to make you overwhelm yourself trying to understanding vagueness, if understanding vagueness is even possible, until something gives. It was designed to have people give themselves an ænima. If you stay too long trying to 'figure out' that stage, you will eventually wither and die. You had five years to figure it out and move on, to be ready and prepared for the next album.

Specifically to me, I can relate this to myself and old friends of the LSD days of long ago. We caught wind of the mystery concealed, did all the 'research,' if you want to call it that, and essentially fried ourselves. All the confusion ceased, for me, when I stopped looking at it like it was an external mystery; that album was specifically about my life. It's about the life of whoever's listening to it. So, conceptually, 'The Grudge' is the one who figured it out telling the others to let go of all the extraneous , the weight of this external mystery, and to forgive their 'scarlett lettermen,' and be forgiven for arguements over who was 'right' about that mystery which has no true meaning outside of the individual.

The only show of the Lateralus tour I saw started with 'Sober,' and they played it in near absolute darkness. It was followed by 'The Grudge,' which totally broke the bleakness; the stage lit up with two big faces, merged together to make a big column-looking thing. What does it mean? I see 'Sober' talking about their previous message, and the darkness as a visualization of that message; there is no light in thinking like that. It reminds me of sitting in the blacklight, tripping balls, going crazy, overanalysing the music for the 'hidden meaning.' I finally found the light inside myself, and I wish I could say the same for my ex-colleages...

pops333
03-19-2004, 01:18 AM
I think my interpretation of this song (and the whole album) seems way different than a lot of other people's. I think the grudge is about forgiveness. The "cornerstone" mentioned is all the hate and resentment that you might hold toward someone who has huyrt you (the scarlet letterman). YOu have to let go of that hate and resentment, and let the oceans of love and forgiveness improve you as a person.

Although I like the live version of this song a lot better. It just has 20x the energy. And the 30 second scream is just intense.