PDA

View Full Version : Pro Tools (Mbox)

Darkend Feeling
12-25-2003, 03:26 PM
I just recieved the Mbox with Pro Tools software for Christmas and I was wandering if any of you were familiar with it and had any opinons about it. I talked with a few people (one of which was not a store emplyee) and they all gave it rave reviews. After playing with it for a little over an hour now, I think it's great but there's plenty to learn.

If you don't know anything about the Mbox or Pro Tools, here's a link: http://www.digidesign.com/products/mbox/

So anyways, I play guitar and a little bass. I'd like some thoughts on Pro Tools software and if you think it's the right thing for a complete beginner at recording.
Thanks.

BTW, what first turned me on to Pro Tools is that I heard somewhere that Thirteenth Step was done on it.

deviatedwolf625
12-26-2003, 06:33 PM
It looks decent from what I see, especially for 500$. *shrug* Beginning recorder ... I dunno what to suggest for ya. Buy a book on it?

elevate
12-28-2003, 10:02 PM
BTW, what first turned me on to Pro Tools is that I heard somewhere that Thirteenth Step was done on it.
Pro Tools has little to nothing to do with what 13th Step sounds like.

I've used Pro Tools, and the software gets a big 'meh' from me. It looks, feels, and behaves like a Mac app circa 1994. It offers nothing in the way of features over any number of other apps. It does work though (obviously), and if forced to, I could get my work done with it, though I'd rather use something different.

The Mbox seems like a pretty good deal though - decent pres and software for $500. If you're interested in trying something different, I'm almost positive Digidesign provides ASIO drivers, which means any audio app can use its i/o.

Darkend Feeling
12-28-2003, 10:09 PM
So then, what do you prefer to use? From my understanding, Pro Tools is the "industry standard". Does anyone know if I can get a job if I get proficient with it?

elevate
12-29-2003, 08:52 AM
So then, what do you prefer to use?
I prefer Vegas, which has, IMO, the most intuitive UI available in a multitrack audio app, has excellent SMP support, uses system resources better than any app I can think of, and also happens to be the best nonlinear video editing app this side of an Avid workstation. Vegas is Windows-only though, but if you're using a Mac, you should be using Logic anyway.
From my understanding, Pro Tools is the "industry standard".
Yes, it is...sort of. Keep in mind that "Pro Tools" isn't just software, in fact, it has more to do with hardware, I'd say. You can (could?) actually use Logic as a frontend for Digidesign's hardware.
Does anyone know if I can get a job if I get proficient with it?
That depends on a multitude of things. I imagine your best bet at getting a job as an engineer would be to go to one of those mixing schools, as I believe they usually offer job placement.

Darkend Feeling
12-30-2003, 09:10 AM
Thanks for your help elevate, I'm now quite interested in this stuff and I'm thinking I really wouldn't mind a job doing it.

paraflux
12-30-2003, 09:18 AM
"meh" all you want...

Pro tools is top of the line. End of story. I dont know about the Mbox version, but the 10 Grand version rocks all ass, never locks up, and is otherwise completely stable. Somehow, things come out sounding better than they do on Digital Performer run on the same computer.
The thing about sequencing software though, is that they are all the fucking same and its just a matter of discovering where they put the buttons.

FrothyGiglet
02-26-2004, 01:53 PM
I don't know what mbox is but i use pro tools on my comp. Also i have jobs using it and im only 14!

OftenLost
02-27-2004, 04:39 PM
Great shit man, I'm jealous.

holy reality
02-28-2004, 01:28 PM
what's the difference between pro tools and pro tracks?

because pro tracks came with my digitech rpx400 and well... i haven't bothered to use it.

Cool Edit I already understand so I didn't feel like learning something else.

elevate
03-01-2004, 08:33 AM
what's the difference between pro tools and pro tracks?
I'm not really sure what "pro tracks" is...some Cakewalk variant? Regardless, they both probably share similar features and interfaces. That pro tracks thing is probably a bit more limited in what you can do though. The difference between Pro Tools and everything else comes down to hardware - Digidesign makes the whole thing - preamps, consoles, i/o, da/ad conversion, timepieces, midi, etc... and it all fits together seamlessly. You could assemble your own hardware ensemble and have it be far superior (and far more expensive) to Digidesign's stuff (Apogee, Lucid, Grace Design, etc...).

Anyway, if you have Cool Edit and you can get done what you want to get done, then you should feel no reason to switch.

deviatedwolf625
03-01-2004, 07:17 PM
Fuck man, midi sequencing sounds really good ... what versions do they offer, and how much is each version?

elevate
03-01-2004, 10:54 PM
Fuck man, midi sequencing sounds really good ... what versions do they offer, and how much is each version?
What are you talking about? MIDI sequencing on what?