PDA

View Full Version : nigredo-albedo-rubedo-citrinas

fathomthepower
12-24-2003, 06:43 AM
or as we know it: black, white, red, yellow

i found the following information in a book called "Alchemy: an Introduction to the Symbolism and Psychology" by Marie-Louise von Franz. She is a famous follower of Carl Jung. I highly reccomend this book to anybody wishing to understand some of the alchemical references throughout the Laturalus album. I recently found something that references the line in the song Lateralus "black then white are all i see, in my infancy, red and yellow then came to be"

the "Aurora consurgens" is a 15th Century alchemical text discovered by Carl Jung when he was delving into the topic of alchemy. It is believed that the text(considered to be blasphemy by the Catholic church) was written by Saint Thomas Aquinas. The author of the book(von Franz) contends that there is skepticism about the actual author being Saint Thomas(in those days people would tack on a famous name to a written work), but there is evidence that points to him actually being the author. The work itself comes across as being the rantings of a person gripped by a schizophenic episode, and the main concern of the work is explaining the "Wisdom of God."

The title itself, "Aurora consurgens" translates to the Rising Dawn. In one chapter the author explains the significance of the title saying that "the dawn is between day and night and has two colors, namely yellow and red, and thus our science, or alchemy, produces the yellow and the red colors, which are between black and white."

That is classical alchemical knowledge about the "nigredo-albedo-rubedo-citrinas", the four stages of color, and the dawn would be the coming up of the yellow-red color, the "fulfillment of the alchemical work."

any thoughts??

JTCrace
12-24-2003, 04:27 PM
This book is incredible. I have read it twice (so far) and it inspired me to get "Psychology and Alchemy," by Mr. Jung himself. I have tried twice to get through that one, failing miserably each time (does that son-of-a-bitch ever get to the point?).

I remember coming across that same reference (isn't that a wonderful feeling?...slowly putting the pieces together). In an interview Maynard said that the colors have to do with consciousness as conveyed in Native American myths.

I think the key in this passage is the term, "between," as in the dawn being "between" day and night. And everyone knows that as the sun rises, there is usually the presence of both red and yellow in the sky (if anybody gets up that fucking early!).

This reference is just a symbol for resolving polarities, the ultimate polarity being between "existence" and "non-existence." To be or not to be--apparently that really is the question.

Life is polarity (The 1st Noble Truth). Unfortunately Beings have conditioned themselves to see the world not as it truly is (unwholesome--polar) but as what they want it to be. If one could see life for what it truly is, one could see that is set of basic polarities (see http://toolshed.down.net/opinion/forum/showthread.php?t=13730 ), this being symbolized as "black and white."

My friend said once, "The secret to Buddhism is that if one could HAVE everything, one wouldn't WANT anything anymore."