PDA

View Full Version : Here's An Idea...

matthias9
12-23-2003, 03:19 PM
I am not a chemistry whiz, but despite whatever the title of this track means, my first thoughts aren't of molecules or atoms or ions, but of something else.

To me, I like to think of Area 51 test flights landing and taking off. What we're hearing are the various sounds that would come along with an airport being used by spy planes and government-owned UFO's. Is this idea too radical? Too imature or naive? Or too fucked? Is this an old idea that once was argued about, and has now been thrown away into the dumbshit pile?

Inside the album's packaging, where the CD is placed, was TOOL trying to make a statement on where the actual Area 51 is? It seems to me it would take some sort of effort to place that thumb-press thing right over some southwest location in Utah. It's two treats in one, isn't it? If you tilt the case, you see the new Arizona Bay take form, but also you get a possible geography lesson on where the UFO's are.

This is my second post, so I am a newbie, be kind in telling me if I need to do more homework.

Thrakandor
12-23-2003, 05:33 PM
This is my second post, so I am a newbie, be kind in telling me if I need to do more homework.
I love you. More people need this attitude.

As to the content of your post, it can be argued one way or another [molecules/aliens] but not really proven either way, short of asking the band. So I think you're safe for this one.

What makes you think of Area 51 when you hear it, though? I must say that I never made that link.

matthias9
12-23-2003, 06:30 PM
Well, in the last few nights, I have been listening to Aenima in bed with my headphones on. Right away, I think headphones are just more intimate than stereos. By the time (-) Ions comes into my ears, I'm still kind of baked from from my nightly herb treatment, plus I'm minutes away from being totally asleep (Third Eye always scares me awake). Anyways, I just can't help but envision big, black planes soaring slowly through a desert canyon or something.

Maybe ions have something to do with alien aviation? Plus there's the multi-pupiled creatures all over the liner notes, and dosen't the area where the CD goes look alot like some sort of positioning crosshair (plastic thumb piece) that's hovering over a secret Utah location?

If there have been any major breakthroughs on about what this song means, and I've knocked them off track, I will shut up on this potentially terrible theory.