PDA

View Full Version : Couple q's on singing

deviatedwolf625
12-21-2003, 01:45 AM
Alright, I've got a good friend of mine (Dave) whom is trying to write lyrics and sing. My honest opinion is he has potential, but doesn't know where to go.

His main two questions (to me) were:
(A) How do I sing raspily but not from my throat?
(B) How do I sing stuff but not echo the melody?

What do I tell him?

All-One-Mind
12-21-2003, 04:07 PM
(A) Practice, expermentation. It is really hard to explain. What I do is make the voice come from the front of my mouth. That's the best way I can describe it. People used to try and describe it me, and I couldn't understand.
(B) Can you clarify that? Are you talking you or him?

All-One-Mind
12-21-2003, 04:08 PM
(B) How do I sing stuff but not echo the melody?

Oh, I see what you mean. You just make a conscience effort not to. You make a counter melody. It really isn't too hard at all. Just be mindful not to do it, but on a few occasions it is called for.

Matteran
12-21-2003, 09:34 PM
I'm not really sure one the techniques that you are talking about, except for (B), which All-One-Mind explained nicely.

I was just going to suggest that the first thing you work on with the singer is just getting him to really be able to sing from the gut, the diaphragm and all that. It might not sound very good at first, he'll be all shakey and stuff, but just try and get him as powerful as possible. Then he can work on anything. We had a singer that was pretty good when we had everything quiet, but the first concert he was really shakey sounding and stuff, because he tried to keep up with the volume. Sorry, i'm just kinda rambling, i've been succluded in a studio for days, and i wants a lady.

deviatedwolf625
12-22-2003, 02:22 PM
LOL alright, he's good at singing from the diaphragm, just not good at the raspy stuff. He's a tenor, to the bone, can sing Maynard, just can't do the raspy-growly stuff.

All-One-Mind
12-22-2003, 04:47 PM
LOL alright, he's good at singing from the diaphragm, just not good at the raspy stuff. He's a tenor, to the bone, can sing Maynard, just can't do the raspy-growly stuff.

make sure he dosen't try to do that from the throat then! When done properly, screaming/growling should not hurt at all. If it hurts, it is wrong. Like I said before, I just have it come from the front of my mouth, the ffront TOP part of my mouth. I stiffen my mouth a little too, but I leave my neck relaxed for those parts. Fucking impossible to explain. FUCK.

mosquito
12-23-2003, 09:56 AM
make sure he dosen't try to do that from the throat then! When done properly, screaming/growling should not hurt at all. If it hurts, it is wrong. Like I said before, I just have it come from the front of my mouth, the ffront TOP part of my mouth. I stiffen my mouth a little too, but I leave my neck relaxed for those parts. Fucking impossible to explain. FUCK.

I have a question about this singing from the gut stuff... when you do it, is it the same feeling as if you're trying to take a shit? Because I've been trying to understand this. If you can explain the diaphragm thing or at least point me to a good website, I'd be very thankful.