PDA

View Full Version : Ænima, what it means

Arsonnyst
12-15-2003, 07:05 PM
The more i listen to tool, the more interested i am in all the things they say

as i try to understand the lyrics, and what maynard is singing or writing about, i find myself reading and learning more about the theories maynard is using

ive noticed a few theories used by Maynard come from Carl Jung so i thought id read up on who he is and what he had to say

i specifically was reading about "the shaddow" which is mentioned on this album at least once, trying to figure out exactly what the thery behind the shaddow is
when i stumbled accros a few "personalities" or companions that Carl Jung had inside of him.
a personality he had was a young girl he called "anima"
She was his main medium for communication within himself

When you think about the album as a whole, it is about cleansing yourself and accepting who you are for yourself. As i undertsand, your shaddow is the things about you that you fear, or dislike
Jungs shaddow, was a small dwarf, and in his dreams the dwarf and him killed a young boy named Seigmund (named after, and representing jungs hero, Seigmund Freud)

An Enima, as defined in the dictionary is "The injection of liquid into the rectum through the anus for cleansing, for stimulating evacuation of the bowels, or for other therapeutic or diagnostic purposes. "
and Anima, is a "medium for communicating with your 'shaddow' "

Combined, i believe this is what the title is trying to portray, when you communicate with yourself, and accept your shaddow, and all of the parts of you that you dont neccesarily like or feel comfortable with, you are able to cleans your soul

IC
01-02-2004, 02:33 PM
yea, there is supposed to be an african word something like anima which meaning's is 'spiritual' and as you said with the enema, so it can be concluded - spiritual cleaning

crazypsycho6666
03-26-2004, 07:46 PM
i thought that Aenima meant the female version of a male's brain.

Gillian
08-10-2004, 11:23 AM
i find that all this song really is, is about the end of the world....its me & ''my soulmates'' song!!........one time when i was drunk i was chillin with my frind David & we were singing it together & i was all freaked out by it so he was my ''soulmate'' for that night!!!

Mr Omnipotent
08-10-2004, 11:50 AM
aenima = continental enema

Undertolerance
08-11-2004, 09:14 PM
Innercombustion hit the culmination of the two words right on, but as far as an interpretaion of the song that is sorta hard to say one way or the other. But of course you can take in on the surface as well as dive into it but I will leave that you all to do on your own time. Good luck and fun travels.

Circe
08-11-2004, 10:57 PM
Since this old thread has been revived, I might as well jump in here.

Anima is latin for soul/ breath of life.

Pendragon
09-12-2004, 11:48 AM
Wow. Thats a really good thing man I could never do anything like this I cannot find meanings.

Cygnus-ß °|X1|°
10-05-2004, 09:57 AM
It's try and read between the lines I guess

Lateralareallofus
06-17-2008, 09:11 AM
so i was looking up how to type ae (obviously I was unsuccesfull), and came across the meaning of ae. It is medival latin for 'eye' which would be pronounced 'hey'

'hey, hey, hey, hey, hey'

sound familiar in theintro to the title track Aenema? Perhaps by repeating 'hey, hey, hey' over and over agian hes trying to pry open the third ae. thoughts?

Inner_Eulogy
06-17-2008, 10:18 AM
so i was looking up how to type ae (obviously I was unsuccesfull), and came across the meaning of ae. It is medival latin for 'eye' which would be pronounced 'hey'

'hey, hey, hey, hey, hey'

sound familiar in theintro to the title track Aenema? Perhaps by repeating 'hey, hey, hey' over and over agian hes trying to pry open the third ae. thoughts?

I've always thought of the beginning where he goes hey hey hey.. as him portraying a breathing technique used sometimes in meditation. In some practices it is known as the prana/lifeforce/chi that they are breathing in. Conditioned breathing can do many things for the body and spirit.

Of course another way of looking at it is as someone gasping for air as the are engulfed by water as Cali sinks however, I'm more inclined to go with the prior.

Th@ Guy
07-03-2008, 04:23 AM
I always felt this song was one of the easiest Tool songs to interpret..... it seemed to be calling out for a global warming style flooding of the world to cleanse it of this human parasite that insists on inhabiting it. a sadly self destructive wish... yet all together uplifting in its delivery