PDA

View Full Version : Buying My First Amp

stu
12-08-2003, 03:52 PM
i have a $500 limit for a christmas present this year, i could either get a new guitar or a new amp.
i'm not sure i'm ready to get a new guitar right now, my current guitar is ass but i still like it... and i'm still learning to play.
i guess this really wouldn't be my first amp since i already have a $50 10-watt piece of shit kramer amp that came with my guitar.
i would like to buy a decent amp.
the problem is.... i know almost nothing about amps and the few friends i have that play guitar are no help either.
i was looking for some recommendations.
i'm really into bands like the smashing pumpkins, tool, apc, old metallica, nirvana, opeth... stuff like that.
that's the kind of music i play and would like to be able to play...
so good distortion would be a plus.
i'm sure you can't have both great distortion and great clean tones on an amp for this price, but i don't want something that has good distortion but sucks ass in just about every other way.
if you guys could help me out i'd really appreciate it
i tried some other websites to do some research and they were not very helpful, if you just want to direct me to another webiste that would be cool too.

thanks

deviatedwolf625
12-08-2003, 06:36 PM
Let me tell you some about amps.

There are two types of amps, Solid-state (Interchangeable with digital) and tube. Tube's are great for distortion, get a nice warm distortion to them.

Solid-states are nice choppy distortion, more grating (Listen to Disturbed).

Adam uses a Marshall, which is a tube amp.

My ultimate advice is try some amps. I recommend Marshalls as tubes, and Line6's as digitals

haftelm
12-08-2003, 07:23 PM
Actually Adam uses many different amps. But mostly an old modded Marshall bass amp and a Diezel VH4.

I find that if you want something simple that has a lot of effects and versitility go for a digital modeling amp such as Line 6. If you want really good tone and the warm, organic, responsive amp go for a tube amp.

Tube amps are generally more expensive though. But they sound better.

There are many many many choices out there. Go to www.harmony-central.com for more info.

Since you are a beginner I would reccomend maybe getting a cheap line 6 but as time goes by and you get better and your ears develop you may want to upgrade to a better amp.

You probably don't need anything more than 50 watts.

deviatedwolf625
12-08-2003, 07:30 PM
Good recommendation.

I would, however, like to disagree about Line6's being beginner gear. I know a couple guitarists who are pretty damn good, and play on them. The amp modeling capabilities are nice, and the effects are decently modeled.

Just don't buy a spider amp.

Yeah, another thing: Don't worry about what gear the pros are using.

haftelm
12-08-2003, 07:42 PM
Well, I have had a few Line 6 amps and I don't feel they can compete, tone-wise, to higher end amps such as Diezel, Bogner, VHT, THD, ENGL, SLO, etc.....

Then again, I play a lot of high-gain stuff and I like to stick to simple amps with no frills....that is why I bought an Uberschall.

I didn't mean that Line 6 is strictly a beginners amp, but it is something that would suite a beginner quite well because of the features and ease of use.

deviatedwolf625
12-08-2003, 07:50 PM
I'm a big fan of the more synthesized sound though, so a good high-end line6 would fit my needs perfectly.

Stu, just go to a guitar store, and play around on them. Take everything the salesman says with several grains of salt. See what you like. Learn what the knobs do. Have fun.

WideOpenEye
12-08-2003, 08:22 PM
I've been playing for a while, played with Marshall, Fender, Peavey, Line 6, Randall and a whole bunch of other crap. I too like the type of music you like so maybe I can point you in the right direction. First take your guitar with you at a music store and ask if you can try some. Here's a BIG CATCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you plan on playing music for more than 1-2 years from now, or in a band you'll probably want a big amp on day so that you can hear yourself with a drum. So find one that has an output that can add a cabinet to it cause that will save you some trouble later on BELIEVE ME ! I had one I loved but had to get rid of it cause it wasn't powerfull enough, I sold it and got 1/4 of the price after 5 months that I had it so, you get the point. Fender deville's have that on them, they're tube amps and they can blast if you get one with 2-12¨ speakers. I played with one and with a boss ME-8 pedal (100$ at your local pawnshop easilly) we could get sounds that were fucken close to Rage/Tool/Deftones/Sheryl Crow's Clean sound/ Led Zep. But like I said try them out and try to bring a friend that knows what you're looking for and know's what he's doing. I would got but my mom asked me to do the dishes that night so have fun man you're in the best part ;-)
I remember my first GOOD amp...ahhh (sheds a tear)

deviatedwolf625
12-08-2003, 09:05 PM
Alright, WideOpenEye, playing off of your idea

Get an amp that has:
A line out
A headphone out
A speaker out would be nice, but you can make one of those if you know how/have the right tools.
An input.

From there, just play on them. Play until you find one you really like.

Don't play on the expensive ones, I made that mistake ...

GernBlanston
12-09-2003, 01:40 AM
the amp that i'm using right now is a marshall v265R solid-state (valve-state, whatever). its a 2x12 with reverb on clean and overdrive, 3 channels, fx loop, chorus, headphone / line / filtered outs, etc. its pretty damn versatile when it comes down to it. i mean, you are on a $500 limit, right? you should go for the biggest combo amp you can find. fender amps are a good place to start (if you want a traditional fender tone). most of their amps are combos.

also look for some cheap tube amps if you can find them. but definitely play on several until you feel comfortable with your sound.

if its a dilemma for you between the amp or a new axe, ask yourself which of the two do you currently know the best? if you are getting more comfortable with your guitar than your amp, you should spring for an amp b/c it will only introduce new sounds and enhance your overall playing.

holy reality
12-12-2003, 03:21 PM
i wouldn't recommend any of the Marshall MG series

fuck I wish I would have gotten a dsl401 or an avt50 instead.

though i'm thinking if i get somthing else it's just going to be straight up tube and i'll rely heavily on outside fx units to shape my sound...

or i'll get a kickass modeling amp

the vox valvetronix has caught my eye at the moment... though line6 looks like it has some good stuff

i want fucking good tone though.

ihatemickjagger
12-13-2003, 09:29 PM
As far as distortion goes, if you like to play alot of Metallica, i HIGHLY recommend the Boss Metal Zone Pedal. It's a very strong distortion and has a very nice chunky sound to it. I sound alot like James Hetfield when i'm playing with it, and it's a nice feeling. As far as Amps go, i'm not too clever when it comes to those. i am currently seeking a bass rig myself, and am having a hell of a time

haftelm
12-14-2003, 10:10 AM
What ever you do, do not get the Boss Metal Zone!!!!

It is complete crap and sounds like a swarm of bees.

Paladin
12-14-2003, 01:20 PM
Maybe you should buy an amp and perhaps a multieffects pedal for christmas, the pedal could somewhat help shape your tone.

Paladin
12-14-2003, 01:22 PM
What ever you do, do not get the Boss Metal Zone!!!!

It is complete crap and sounds like a swarm of bees.

that sounds very strange for a pedal, are you sure it wasn't broken or modified by me?

haftelm
12-14-2003, 05:12 PM
that sounds very strange for a pedal, are you sure it wasn't broken or modified by me?

No. I am not saying that the one I got was somehow broken or bad. I am saying that the pedal itself is a complete POS. I really don't have a need for a pedal anyway because my amp provides all of my distortion. But to anybody who is considering new gear I would not recommend the MZ. It hides mistakes in your playing and it restricts your tone. I suppose if you just wanted to dick around with it thats fine, but as far a serious use for gigging and playing out....it is just silly.

Paladin
12-14-2003, 07:57 PM
well, in your opinion i guess, its just all taste, some people might like an ass sound, like myself :). hah, and well. i dont know. good night.

an_unseen_existence
12-21-2003, 12:36 AM
i just got the line 6 spider II 212 for $500 i have had it for about a week and its pretty nice so far .