PDA

View Full Version : 3 songs finally posted

deviatedwolf625
12-07-2003, 10:15 PM
Hey All One Mind, thanks for hosting these

As for everyone else, these are the three songs i've got written in nearly complete form:

http://www.allonemind.com/deviatedwolf625/funk2_clean_mp3.mp3

Funk 2 Clean is the most recent. I want to add a bass solo to this piece, except I'm not sure what to do for it. Got a couple small ideas though.

http://www.allonemind.com/deviatedwolf625/to_kiss_the_bullet_effects_mp3.mp3

This is version 1, this version has a lot more effects than the below version. Vocals written, but not recorded.

http://www.allonemind.com/deviatedwolf625/to_kiss_the_bullet_mp3.mp3

This version has a solo in it, and only uses Delay.

Any and all feedback appreciated!

EDIT: The links are fixed

deviatedwolf625
12-10-2003, 04:10 PM
27 views and not a single reply!?

Aeromorea
12-16-2003, 02:33 PM
Well, I guess I might as well be the first.

First one:
As a bass player myself, you've got some damned fine tone, and you do sound like you know what you're doing. Still, my one complaint is that (to my ears) at time it doesn't seem to flow. It would almost become an entirely different song, but then fade back to the original. May have been how it was written, but doesn't sound right to me. The ending also seems forced, like you're trying to stick as many notes as possible into the last second of it. Of course, that might just be filling, like every musician does.

Second one:
The hollow sound at the beginning really adds something unexpected to the song, then when the other guitar (or what I can only think might be a guitar) comes in, it becomes almost tribal. Still, you cut out of that feeling pretty abruptly just to give way to the fuzzy, chunky bass bit. Not something I thought really worked. You also managed to through that fuzzy thing again! But wait! I love what you did towards the end of the song, with the bass line and the fuzzy overlapping and that sound that I can't descibe on top. Magnifique!

Third one:
So far my favourite of the three. Magnificent bass work here! Then it sounds like tapping incorporated into it, or maybe popping. Can't tell, but it really works! Overall, very nice work.

Well, there you go. Hope I was of some service.

deviatedwolf625
12-16-2003, 03:53 PM
Alright, thanks.

The first one was a very rough recording. I want to rerecord it ASAP, with better playing, more solid fills, and possibly, if I can figure out what to do for it, a bass solo.

Second one, it's just a bass. I was using reverb, multitap delay, and a phaser (for the wah-wah effect).

Third one, same one as the first, just delay, and that was tapping.

As soon as I can record again, I'll re-record all of these and get em posted.

And yes, the feedback was very helpful.

Elgyn
12-17-2003, 04:14 PM
I'd have to agree with Aeromorea, a lot of the time, a flowing motion isn't clear. It doesn't sound like you're in time at some points. Having a metronome going would probably be a good start. The only issue with this is keeping the metronome out of the recording. I like what you wrote in the first one, but it didn't seem to flow as a 'song', rather a collection of seemingly unrelated riffs.

I really liked the big delay effect you have going in the second song, but tended not to like the fuzz on the bass. It sounds badly recorded, even though it's probably an effect you've chosen to put on. This song has a much clearer sequence. The delay in the third song makes it sound cluttered, and individual notes are difficult to distinguish. It tends to just sound like a lot of bass.

I didn't realise it, but I used to have quite a problem with timing. It tends to make things sound pretty amatuer if it's just done intuitively. Overall though I'd say it's some good work, with a lot of potential.

deviatedwolf625
12-17-2003, 05:02 PM
Alright, thanks Elgyn, I want a good tap tempo metronome, but I doubt I'm gonna get it.

I've been plugging the bass straight into the comp, and using the EQing there. I can only hear what I'm playing acoustically.

And thanks, I've heard a lot of negative comments on the distortion I used at that point, and I'm going to re-record it anyway.

As for the first song, I've kinda hammered that down a bit, the connections are there, they'll be more evident if I could lay down/write vocals to it.

Uhm ... speaking of, can you mention waht kind of emotion/feeling you get from each piece?

deviatedwolf625
12-31-2003, 03:45 PM
Fixed links (again)

The heavily mixed To kiss the Bullet

www.neuroleptic.net/linkedstuff/jeffsongs/TKTBbass1.mp3

The lighter mixed one

www.neuroleptic.net/linkedstuff/jeffsongs/TKTBbass1alt.mp3

Funk song, rough draft

www.neuroleptic.net/linkedstuff/jeffsongs/funkbass.mp3

deviatedwolf625
01-01-2004, 04:17 PM
Ok, edit:

I am putting these in a .ace file.

The songs:
www.neuroleptic.net/linkedstuff/jeffsongs/songs.ace

The Grudge
01-03-2004, 06:19 PM
yeah...none of those links worked...but maybe its just me?

deviatedwolf625
01-03-2004, 07:37 PM
You try right clicking and saving the ACE file onto your comp? The rest of the links are dead

The Grudge
01-05-2004, 02:19 PM
Thanks.