PDA

View Full Version : My 'as of yet un-named' Band

Divine_left
12-05-2003, 06:19 AM
Just a couple small videos we made at the last practice:

http://whatever.psysem.com/movies/doppleganger.avi
-Doppleganger' (9MB)

http://whatever.psysem.com/movies/Saints.avi
-'Bass Antics' (<1MB) ...This is for the Bass Players.

And if you're interested, some prospective Band Names:

-Chaos Theory
-Typhoid Mary

Leave Constructive Comments

Divine_left
12-06-2003, 09:58 AM
*bump*

...19 Views, no comments?

Come on....come on...

Dirty Sanchez
12-06-2003, 10:13 AM
You all seem to play your instruments quite well but it feels like the song aren't going anywhere. It's basicly just the same riff with some soloing throughout the whole song. IMO, if you want to make instrumental music, you have to make the music a little bit more progressive. If there's no vocals and no progression in the music the songs tend to become a bit boring. The song gets a bit heavier at the end but i'd like to see it change even more.

Just my thoughts.

psilomind
12-06-2003, 10:15 AM
I am far superior at playing 'When the saints come marching in'...

Divine_left
12-06-2003, 10:26 AM
I am far superior at playing 'When the saints come marching in'...

That's cool. However, he is playing "when the saints go marching in" ...Which is a lot harder.

To Sanchez: Agreed. That was more or less just a jam that turned into a song. The video only captures about half of it. Most of our other songs are more organized...though none of them have words yet (I'm working to change that).

If we get any MP3s going...I'll be sure to post them here.

psilomind
12-06-2003, 10:38 AM
That's cool. However, he is playing "when the saints go marching in" ...Which is a lot harder.
According to the CDRDSB (1983 Comission to Determine the Relative Difficulty of Saintly Basslines), I remain correct...

However, as I see it, it has more to do with whether or not the singer is drunk than the melody itself.

Divine_left
12-06-2003, 12:37 PM
According to the CDRDSB (1983 Comission to Determine the Relative Difficulty of Saintly Basslines), I remain correct...

Foiled again...Damn CDRDSB.

They get me everytime

deviatedwolf625
12-06-2003, 02:40 PM
*does the annoying simpson's character HA HA*

EDIT: Hey does your guitar player like Satriani?

I can't really hear the bass.

The piano might be able to back off a wee bit, or have the camera closer to the guitar.

It just all got really quiet ... worrisome.

Yeah, overall, lots of potential, excellent players, just more variety, no offense intended.

jbesquire77
12-06-2003, 04:33 PM
"I am far superior at playing 'When the saints come marching in'..."-- psilomind

That's neat, however I was attempting to play it with artificial harmonics
a technique I will readily admit that i suck at, so it was not meant as a
serious rendition of the real piece, which is far more arduous.

Thanks for all the feedback, its very helpful.

Divine_left
12-06-2003, 04:55 PM
"I am far superior at playing 'When the saints come marching in'..."-- psilomind

Hey john. Welcome.

Everybody...that's the bass player, John.
Shake hands.

psilomind
12-06-2003, 05:23 PM

Agreed, artificial harmonics are a pain in the ass...

And divine, your avatar is fucking with my head...

Divine_left
12-06-2003, 05:26 PM
And divine, your avatar is fucking with my head...

Good to know it's working. I was gonna be cool and make a thread announcing it, but I figured that would defeat the purpose.

deviatedwolf625
12-06-2003, 07:35 PM
Define artificial harmonics pls?

Divine_left
12-06-2003, 07:48 PM
Define artificial harmonics pls?

Okay....here's my best attempt (being a piano player, i have a little help from my Guitarist)

I'm assuming you know what regular (natural) harmonics are...

Basically, natural harmonics can only be played in certain places on a guitar/bass (12th fret is the most well known). To fix this, you can create an "Artificial Harmonic" by using the tip of your finger to "graze" the string at the same time you pick it. According to Rich(guitarist) this is hard to do. I have no idea.

What John is doin on the bass (in aforementioned video) is taking the artificial harmonic thing one step further by Slapping instead of picking.

I think it's pretty damn innovative. Hope that helps.

deviatedwolf625
12-06-2003, 08:02 PM
Nada bit, I'll ask about it when I go in for a lesson next week.

Maya
12-06-2003, 09:31 PM
What John is doin on the bass (in aforementioned video) is taking the artificial harmonic thing one step further by Slapping instead of picking.

I think it's pretty damn innovative. Hope that helps.

Yeah, they're pretty hard to do on guitar, especially transitioning from normal picking to artificials. Gotta get the thumb just right.

How is the bass player using slaps? That sounds like something I'd like to know more about...

baphomet
12-07-2003, 12:12 AM
Divine_Left, I think you guys have lots of potential. It's hard to make any really definitive statements since you guys were basically just jamming--albeit jamming pretty damn well. Because of the audio/video quality, it was hard to pick out the individual instruments at times. You all are very talented, and your guitar player burns. Some of his runs seemed inspired by McLaughlin and Santana.

Overall, you guys seem really promising, but I'd love to hear an mp3 with halfway-decent audio quality of one of your more structured songs.

Keep up the good work

BTW, PM me if you guys put together a show anytime. I'm just down the commuter rail in Waltham.

Divine_left
12-07-2003, 05:57 AM
and your guitar player burns. Some of his runs seemed inspired by McLaughlin and Santana.

Overall, you guys seem really promising, but I'd love to hear an mp3 with halfway-decent audio quality of one of your more structured songs.

Keep up the good work

BTW, PM me if you guys put together a show anytime. I'm just down the commuter rail in Waltham.

Thanks, will do.

We're looking at an EP by February, although we'd like to lay down at least one track between Christmas and New Years. Right now we're not really doing as much as I'd like (on account of my school schedule) but as soon as something comes out, I'll be sure to let you know.

My guitarist is more of a Satriani/Vai/that kind of thing fan. But I can see where you're getting the Santana reference from.

jbesquire77
12-09-2003, 09:15 PM
thanks for the introduction divine_left aka Tim

ok, i'll try to explain what i'm doing on the bass, this could be difficult cause i'm not really too sure exactly what i am doing, but alright, here goes.

firstly, what i'm doing is slapping the string and immediately letting my thumb slip past it in order to mute it slightly, this cancels out any of the lower harmonics vibrating on the string and leaves the one i want. however this can't be done at just any place on the string,only in particular spots, (the physics isn't worth discussing) On an open string there are 3 spots (there are more then three but they're more difficult to use) where i slap and mute, the 1st one is about 2 and 1/2 inches down from the 20th fret, the 2nd is about 4 inches from the 20th fret, and the 3rd is about 5 and 1/4 inches down from the 20th. Now in order to get more than just these 3 harmonics, i use the same method, but instead of an open string i use fretted notes. When using fretted notes, each of the aforemetioned spots shifts further down the string, depending on how far away they are in tone from the open string. So the whole trick really depends on hitting the exact spot for the particular harmonic you want.

this may seem a little complicated but it's not, i'm just bad at explaining things.
I'm not too sure how one plays 'real' artificial harmonics on the bass, whether this is the same method or not, i don't know, seeing that i'm only self taught. but i do know that i'm getting harmonics, that are artificial, and that's good enough for me.
i'm still working out how to do this, so it may take some time to get anything real out of it

since i can't think of anything else to say i'm just gonna end this sentence with an ellipsis......

All-One-Mind
12-09-2003, 10:02 PM
nice jam, my friend. I dig it.

Divine_left
12-10-2003, 05:17 PM
nice jam, my friend. I dig it.

Thanks Muchly

Choler
12-12-2003, 06:19 PM
Yes I would like to hear an actual song. Jamming was cool but unorganzied, I want to see you put that talent into a structured song. Good noises to enter for my ears :)