PDA

View Full Version : Tool's music, and Tool's inspiration

IceBlueEye84X
11-19-2002, 01:30 PM
...First of all, I just want to say to Maynard(for when he checks on this page again), and to the rest of the gang, that what you say about wanting to inspire people to do something great, WITHOUT "spoonfeeding" everything to us, is exactly how I listen to your music, every single day. I sit and pop in one of Tool's CD's, and I just sit and write, or sing, or draw, or play drums...or just plain THINK, and daydream...It doesn't matter...all the forms of art that I have a passion for, I draw inspiration from Tool. It's like I am putting myself in such an environment to do all of the things I love to do. The music inspires thoughts of ALL kinds, pictures of ALL kinds, and sounds, like it's literally stimulating my mind, and just helps it to keep expanding, without any limits, whatsoever...I've even remembered times when I've fallen asleep, with one of their cd's in, and having the CRAZIEST, most surreal dreams...so thank you, Maynard, Adam, Justin, and Danny, for expanding my mind, with absolutely no limits...my talents are broadening, and getting exceptionally better, all the time, from the thinking I do, now. Some say you gotta smoke, sniff, or snort, or jab a vein for an adrenalin rush, or mind-expanding experience, when all you gotta do is pop in a Tool CD...who the hell needs drugs when you've got TOOL!!!!
...Anyway, I do have an actual "opinion" for this page...and that is: I have absolutely NO disrespect for the rather intelligent opinions and interpretations that these people post...but I would just like to know why you would try so hard to figure out what these rhythmic, and musical masterpieces, actually mean, or are about...In all honesty, yes, sometimes I sit and just think and ponder about what Maynard could have been feeling, or thinking at the time he wrote those lyrics...but I NEVER try and figure out what it's about...I just let myself think and think and think,and expand...what's the use of trying to figure it out, when IF you do figure it out, you don't have to think anymore, which is what Tool wants you to do in the first place...so you're mind will "stop functioning," if you will...so all I do is just take in all those ingenious sounds, and words, and just paint my own picture and use it to expand...that's my opinion of it, and my inspiration....later, fellow Tool heads....

Bullet
11-19-2002, 02:23 PM
In fact I was thinking about the same thing...Why am I posting? Maybe because I want to see what other people think...But then again, I could do that without posting, just reading...Or I can debate...Or I can just show how smart I am ;) ...or just think on by myself, loud. And when people offer me other options I can debate and finally admit that s/he could have been right...Or something like that..
And tonight I am going to put AEnima to my CD-player and listen to it all night. Thank's to you ;)

PerplexedbyGOD?
11-19-2002, 07:11 PM
K, some good points about some people that might post anywhere on this forum, spending their time trying to figure out what Maynard is writing about. If I wanted to figure out what Maynard is saying, I would have gone to college to be a shrink, but I went to college to be a psychologist. Not to figure out people so much, but to see what really lurks inside me, and how far I can expand my conciousness. I come to post here, so that I can share my "opinions" with people, and be able to throw ideas around and have opinions bounce back, just to spark new ideas. That's why I listen to music from TOOL, Aphex Twin, NIN, Telephon Tel Aviv... not so much for the lyrics per se, but for the music whick sparks ideas (music today, is too extroverted, which sucks; and music I love is introverted...). I think it's good to share ideas, even when they may seem a little naive or just plain stupid, but whose to judge opinions as stupid? What I am really trying to say is, that no opinion is a bad one, and when and if it is to you, go ahead reply with what it is you believe in, because you may just get a reply back that proves you indifferent. So, write, express your ideas, flaunt your opinions, cause you just may learn something!

Peace

IceBlueEye84X
11-19-2002, 07:27 PM
...Hey you made some good points...but I just realized how much I provoked that kind of reaction...lol...I had just posted that message up, when I sat back, and realized how I worded it...what I was REALLY trying to say, was just how thought provoking the music is, and that it shouldn't be something you should try and "figure out"...I actually wasn't trying to say anything about people on here trying to, or really anybody in general...my point was that I have actually heard people try and look at it that way...not you people, not ANYBODY, on here...I wasn't directing that at anyone...it's just that like I said, I've heard people waste such valuable time trying to come up with some useless conclusion about the music...and they don't even appreciate the music like it should be...sorry about that...I didn't mean to offend, at all, if I did...

IceBlueEye84X
11-19-2002, 07:57 PM
...I truly apologize if I offended anybody n here, in anyway...whe I put that first entry up, I was a little pissed off at the fact that some "people" in general, actually waste precious time, trying to figure out some big conclusion about the music, and then they never listen to anybody else and disagree with everyone once they DO make that conclusion...In all honesty, listening to and reading interpretations, to me, is more of a learning experience that listening to and reading just plain facts...what I meant to say was that there IS a great point in interpretiing and sharing ideas, and there's NO point in wasting time trying to figure them out...I guess I just kind of left that one part out, and it sounded like interpretations, and opinions, in general, are pointless...DEFINITELY NOT....so I'm SOOOOO sorry if I offended anyone, or sounded like a fuckin dumbass, lol...my Screenname is on my profile, so IM me sometime....Peace, friends...

manifestcontent
11-21-2002, 09:32 AM
it is important to figure out what the songs mean to you. not what they originally meant to the band. tool wrote these songs so they would be open for interpretation. they may mean nothing to them at all. i think it's good to find out what they mean to you so you can relate to them, thus creating a more enjoyable experience listening to them. did you ever notice that when you can relate to a song you get into it more and find yourself playing the air guitar in your whitey tighties in your bedroom? it's fun isn't it?

crackhoarmojo
11-26-2002, 06:44 PM
Coincidence; while reading this whole thing about over analyzing songs, with my Lateralus playing, Lateralus (in terms of the song) comes on and I quote "Over thinking, over analyzing, separates the body from the mind"
I think were all pretty much on the same track here; it's important to find out what the song means to YOU.

bmeason
11-27-2002, 12:32 AM
Yes... it is important to find out what the song means to you, and express it.

You can use these forums as a journal of some sort and also see who agrees or shares your opinions. It comes back to realizing we are all one mind and trying to get on a same wave length. I don't believe people agree because they think they are right, rather to convince. People who get heated and use deflamitory words are going against the purpose of these forums in the first place... right before the post button Be Intelligent, anger is far from that. It is good to get people who can sit down and interpret such ideas, and then see it from another perspective. It helps you not only mold your thoughts, but gain another lesson by viewing the piece from all angles. Take it as your viewing is straight forward, then read another and see it from a 180 degree flip. Seeing all sides is a must for learning about a experience.

We will never know what the songs were trying to portray (unless Maynard tell us as such), but what we do know is the message we recieved, and that message should be valued and looked upon as a learning expeience. We should use it to better our lives and better others.

Remember to smile, stay positive, and be creative.

-Bryan Meason

IceBlueEye84X
11-27-2002, 05:58 PM
Hey, fortunately, I guess it looks a little like people are understanding what I was trying to say...I just hope everyone knows, NOW, that everything that you guys are saying, is exactly what I meant by everything I said...thank you, people...I'm glad I didn't make anybody angry, or think that I'm basically stupid...I hope I make peace with everybody, now...So, keep on posting your replies...I'll be glad to share ideas...later.