PDA

View Full Version : Does Maynard miss the last note?

greenblazepheno
12-16-2002, 09:49 AM
Any thoughts? Does he miss it, or is it intended?

For me, it sounds different every time.

Donnchadh
12-16-2002, 10:01 AM
No he doesn't "miss" it. He changes it. Rather than holding the note exactly like the first one, he wavers it slightly. A la Whitney Heuston! Personally I think it sounds better. I have a bootleg video of them playing that version on the same tour and he hits the last note just like it is on Aenema. It's one of the main reasons I prefer the Salival version.

greenblazepheno
12-20-2002, 08:35 PM
That's why I think he misses it- I've never heard him sing it the same way. Even on the Lateralus tour when I saw them, he sung it like it's featured on Aenima.

Anyone else have an opinion/eye(ear)witness account?

LazyE462
12-26-2002, 08:40 AM
He changed the note, its sounds a lot better i think. It really raises the dynamic bar to give it an even MORE climatic ending, i think its sweet as hell. Listen to how it goes with the drums on that part.

halo99
01-18-2003, 10:48 PM
who cares, the song is fucking amazing

the reverend
01-19-2003, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by halo99
who cares, the song is fucking amazing

Amen to that!

holy reality
01-25-2003, 11:08 AM
the I must persuade you another WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY note? I don't like it as much, he hits it but then pulls off really quick and lets the sustainer hold it out for a while, I'd rather he held it out for a while, I know he can do it.

Still it's a damned amazing song...

Valkyrie
01-25-2003, 11:31 PM
I think the line in question is "This will end no other way"...the second time it is sung, Maynard wavers the note on "way" about a half note up...(I think...?)

Anyway...I think it's great, because...it works, and it's not a break in his voice, so it seems thrown in there. It's much better IMO because it provides a better dynamic closure to the song. The Ænima version seems a little discordant because it doesn't seem to come to the same conclusion that the Salival version does. Anyone know what I mean?

It's like on live bootlegs of H., when he says "and I feel this comin' over like a storm again, now..." the second time, just before the first chorus, he'll raise the "agAIN now" part...which sets the tension up for the release of the chorus in a pleasantly adrenaline filled way.

Whatever, maybe I just think about the composition too much, but I love it.

holy reality
01-26-2003, 11:15 AM
i still don't know what note you guys are talking about....

i think he does great in the song but the really insanely long good sounding one when he says "way" for like 4 seconds isn't as good on this one because he has a sustainer hold the note out, and he doesn't