PDA

View Full Version : finding the 'voice of god'

corps d'allumen
12-01-2003, 02:51 PM
consider for a moment that music is an entity of language; a being who's voice defines its body. this musical lifeform is recapping, if you will, its journey towards evolution. from a drummer's point of view, total independence (of limbs) is evolution of their abilities not only as a drummer, but as a musician and a human. the song feels to be traveling within itself on an ominous and seemingly painful road (my take on the jungle-esque feel and the blurry screams) faster and faster, until it reaches something. the intensity recedes but the momentum remains. back to the drummer view, DC is playing on the virge of non-human with his independence; levels of independence to that degree, from my knowledge of drumming and from my experiences with one of the greatest amateur drummers i've ever heard or made music with, requires a degree of separation of the mind and body, in order to keep the brain from trying to rhythmically 'assimilate' the polyrhythms the body is doing, instead of keeping them as separate and multiple differing rhythms. a bad correlation would be a musical out-of-body experience. (this is not a good explanation, i know) to the music again, all extremities of the musical entity (vocals, drums, bass, guitar) hit that level of independence where it almost seems like chaos, and the listener can't rationalize it but is forced to just feel the underlaying pulse of it all. it's finding order in chaos, like hearing music in traffic noises or construction sites; everything becomes music. ('dancer in the dark' with bjork makes my point clear) the entity pushed and pushed until it reached the limit, then pushed beyond it. it evolved itself. but the way the song is, makes it seem almost as an accidental discovery, because it pulls out and goes back to the way the song kind of was in the beginning. or maybe it's just coming back to a new moon... i think this theory is further defined by the last track of sheer rhythmic noise and jargon, through which the entity hears something inside but beyond music, it hears a voice. not that it specifically pertains to this that i know or will say, but it's an interesting thought; i've read about higher level beings that communicate through the language of music, for it can convey so much more than limiting words. i just think it's a good story to put it all into a perspective, this music we listen to as a tool for evolution. i would elaborate on my viewpoint more, but this post is becoming ridiculously long. please comment.

aintsofar
12-06-2003, 11:50 AM
nice thoughts. i would like to imagine that limb independence comes not from being able to play different things with different limbs, but from knowing how the different rhythms fit together and playing them all. in the sense that, at the 5=6 part of lateralis, i would like to imagine that danny isn't counting 1 & 2 & & 1 & 2 & &, but rather that he "knows" or feels how the base-5 and base-6 beats fit together. maybe i'm just skirting the subject.
"total independence (of limbs) is evolution of their abilities not only as a drummer, but as a musician and a human. "
i would add and a mind, but i imagine you already meant that with "human". i live too close to the united states to know what words mean anymore.

corps d'allumen
12-07-2003, 08:05 PM
nice thoughts. i would like to imagine that limb independence comes not from being able to play different things with different limbs, but from knowing how the different rhythms fit together and playing them all. in the sense that, at the 5=6 part of lateralis, i would like to imagine that danny isn't counting 1 & 2 & & 1 & 2 & &, but rather that he "knows" or feels how the base-5 and base-6 beats fit together. maybe i'm just skirting the subject.
"total independence (of limbs) is evolution of their abilities not only as a drummer, but as a musician and a human. "
i would add and a mind, but i imagine you already meant that with "human". i live too close to the united states to know what words mean anymore.

that's exactly what i think... danny (or any of the others) aren't playing, thinking to themselves "one two, one two, blah blah" but they feel it through; in one way, that's what that song is talking about with "feeling the rhythm" and not over-analysing everything. also, in a sense, it is knowing how differing rhythms fit together. but, especially w/ drummers, playing a polyrhythm in itself, as opposed to a polyrhythm to another instrument, is extremely difficult with regards to keeping independence. triad is definitely a song that pushes the limits of one man.

dawn
12-07-2003, 08:08 PM
If any of us could truly comprehend the contents of this thread...there would be no discussion...

...it's the scale...

dawn
12-07-2003, 08:09 PM
If any of us could truly comprehend the contents of this thread...there would be no discussion...

...it's in the scale...

corps d'allumen
12-08-2003, 12:37 PM

...it's in the scale...

i'd like to think i understand what i have written, but true, i've written nothing on the song's key. my curiousity is piqued... please explain.