PDA

View Full Version : He is frightened to.

ThreeDeviations
12-16-2002, 12:01 AM
The "her" he makes repeated reference to in Cold and Ugly is himself.

Cold and Ugly.

Underneath the skin and jewelry,

"Jewelry" doesn't mean earrings, necklace, rings.. etc.
Jewelry means all of his habits, behaviors, attitude, mannerisms, walls... and so on- that help him to keep this facade operational, and appearing to be genuine to anyone who comes in contact with him.

Hidden in her words and eyes- Is a wall that's cold and ugly and she's scared as hell.

He doesn't want people to notice his insecurity.
So although you'd never auditorily/visually detect insecurity in his words or eyes... it definitely exists. He just makes sure that it remains "hidden."
He's not proud of this, it makes him feel cold and ugly inside.

Trembling at the thought of feeling.

He's scared to totally open up and come to terms with his past, present, future. He'd rather stay in this shell of insecurity because he feels safe/less vulnerable here.

Wide awake and keeping distance.

He's conscious of the wall(s) he has up... and actually prefers it.

Nothing seems to penetrate her 'cause she's scared as hell.

His defenses act as a shield against any stimulus that he'd consider a threat to his facade. So although people might perceive him to be a pillar of strength, which nobody, or no-thing can penetrate. He knows and feels, otherwise. Despite his walls of protection... he still feels very vulnerable, alone and scared as hell.

I am frightened to. (NOT "too" as many assume)

He's saying, "I am frightened to" take down my walls / take off my jewelry....

Wide awake and keeping distance from my soul.

He's aware that he's living with these insecurities. He'd acknowledge that this is not how he'd like it to be.(soul)
However, this is how he wants it to be. (current state of mind)

I am scared like you. (or now you can say... "I am frightened "too.")

Just him saying he's a human being like the rest of us. We're all scared. We all have insecurities. We all have walls that alter our behavior / thought process.

Finally...
Know how he dresses like a female from time to time? It's more than just for shock value... It symbolizes a part of his personality/self. It's not that he wants to appear feminine. It's the affective aspect of dressing up that's relevant.. Those are the emotions he often represses....
which leads to...
cold and ugly-

EuphoricBlue
12-23-2002, 06:45 PM
I really haven't listened to this song even though they opened with it when I saw them here in Fresno a month ago.
But that interpretation was fucking amazing. It is great that we all have a forum to talk about each song! Great Job

Blue

ThreeDeviations
12-24-2002, 12:35 PM
EuphoricBlue, thank you.

Yes, I agree... It's awesome we all have a place to come to that allows us to express our thoughts and opinions on Tool.. and other things.

So a thank you to Kabir and all of the other people behind the scene who make this page and section possible is definitely in order.

I guess the best way to say "thank you" would be to send in some money to help fund the page...

I plan on making a small contribution right after the holidays have passed.

So thanks again, and happy holidays to all.

larips
01-13-2003, 07:51 AM
Agree. I think once you say that the song is about someone (don't think it necessaaily has to be maynard) making a conscious effort to put on a public face and a show of bravado, then enough has been said.

.............except maybe to say there is a strong case to be made that it is the story of how someone may react to a specific traumatic event. Again the nature of the event is largely irrelevant.

Filtered_Iris
02-03-2003, 11:49 AM
I think there is a few other things to this, VERY nice though so good i need not open a new thread this says most of it...
also talking about how most people have that wall and they stop growing because they are afraid to get hurt and he is using the song to TRY and comfort us and kind of encourage us to let the wall down at least enough to get a better look into things and also that he knows just how hard it is to bring that wall down
meanings come to us all :)

Undertolerance
03-05-2003, 10:01 AM
Neat interpretaion ThreeDeviations. That is ceratinly a good meaning for this song. If you take the very literal translation of this song, it basicallly describes my ex-girlfriend. which is sort of scary. I wont go into too much detail, seeing as how it is still a touchy subject for me. But if you read the lyrics straight up ofr what they are, then you will get the idea. I hope that none of you have the misfortune of getting a girlfriend or boyfriend that is similar to the one that I had. Keep your fingers crossed, but don't hold your breathe.

holy reality
03-13-2003, 05:35 PM
Why on earth is he singing about himself, because he does say "I am frightened too" and "I am scared like you"...

if he was singing about himself he would not say that he is scared like himself unless he has multiple personalities and one of them is a woman, but even then people that are like that aren't supposed to know about their other persona.....

yes he is just like the girl he is singing about, but i do not see how it would make any sort of sense for him to be that girl.....

though I guess perhaps this could be kind of like the Anima.... maybe he is talking about the feminime side of himself?

he could also be saying "i am frightened to" as in to try and reach her or something along those lines

Lachrymologist
05-03-2003, 06:47 PM
He dresses up on stage (like a woman, or with body paint or as a minister) to separate himself into the person on stage performing and the regular everyday person that he is all the time.

ThreeDeviations
04-26-2004, 11:17 PM
Holy reality,

You say Cold and Ugly must not be him talking about himself because he says "I am frightened too" and "I am scared like you." You explain, "because he would not say he is scared like himself."

(So then how do you rationalize it when he says "wide awake and keeping distance from MY soul...")

When he says, "I am scared like you" at the end of the song.... He's basically saying that he has insecurities too.... just like you. He's a normal human with emotions and insecurities like "you."
I am scared like "YOU."
"You" is the reader, the listener of the song..... that he's not so different than.

By the way..... he NEVER says or writes "I am frightened too."

As I explained in my initial post, and what Maynard has submitted to the page.... he says "I am frightened to." He's saying, "I am frightened to" take off my jewelry and expose my insecurities.

Undertolerance
05-02-2004, 05:41 PM
As a matter of fact he does say "I am frightened too, I am scared like you." Whence I listen to the song again I can give the times at which he says those lines. Like I have placed in my other post about this song, in another tread. I have sang this song plenty of times and therefore have put a lot of effort into learning the lyrics. But it has been quite some time since I have done so, and I need to find my Opiate Cd once again. Thence I can give you times in the song. Until then, stay cold and ugly. And P.S. it's 'underneath her skin and jewelry'

ThreeDeviations
05-03-2004, 11:07 AM
Yeah, you're right.
My point was just that the first time he says "I am frightened to." He doesn't mean "also, too" like so many people assume.

Thanks for the reminder-

TD

Convoy_X
05-04-2004, 05:42 AM
I think there is too much mistry here for it to be about "him". I think that the best interption of this song was a first sexual incounter, I forget who said that but it was here.... Both people in the incounter are first-timers so it is ockward and frightening for them; I know my first time was. As for the "Jewelry" It might be real Jewelry seeing as how women, or girls get dressed up and paint there skin for the men nad when one is planing for sex they do this more so.

I think that MJK wrote this song when he was young colage or high school even. I wrote a pome after my first time, and I could see young MJK wakeing up the next day and not being anle to get her out of his head. The look on her face, the way she did not seem to know what to realy do... and how he wanted to hade the fact that he was just as lost as she was...

Mike

AllforUnity
05-04-2004, 12:00 PM
Cold and Ugly is most likely about humans in general. l think he uses a girl as a metaphor because it's an easy one. Everyone hides behind their "jewlery" and such, but inside we're all scared and weak.

ThreeDeviations
05-04-2004, 12:59 PM
It's about Maynard specifically even though he uses the "her" reference to disguise who he's truly talking about.

Read this slowly.....

Underneath her skin and jewelry,
hidden in her words and eyes
is a wall that's cold and ugly
and she's scared as hell.
Nothing seems to penetrate her.
She's scared as hell.

"I AM FRIGHTENED TO."

If he were talking about "people in general" he would've written, "I am frightened TOO," and not "I am frightened TO." Give that some time to settle.

Until the reader/listener can distinguish between the "to, too" in the song.... they'll never be able to understand it. It's really not that mysterious... you should interpret the "to/too" just the way he has it written on the lyrics page.

At the end of the song he refers to himself saying that he is scared like "you." (or, the "her" that he made repeated reference to... they're both him)

Underneath her skin and jewelry, (His own skin)
hidden in her words and eyes (his own words and eyes)
and she's scared as hell. (he's scared as hell)
Nothing seems to penetrate her. (nothing penetrates him)
She's scared as hell. (he's scared as hell)

I am frightened to.

Wide awake
and keeping distance from my soul.
I am scared like you.

(he switches the "her" to "I" at the end of the song to make the listener believe that he was previously referring to someone other than himself... to add disguise and dimension to the song)

If the song wasn't about Maynard speficially....... the lyrics would say "I am frightened TOO."

Think about that before you start writing.

and as I said in my first post..... the "her" could be referencing when he dresses up like a woman on stage. As I said before, it's for more than shock value when he does that. It's more than just to disguise his face for Devo's sake....
There are plenty of other disguises that could fulfill that desire without causing so much wonder- Yet, he has repeatedly gone back to the feminine theme. That feminine person you see on stage is a part of his personality. It's a part of him. It's the side of him that he often denies which leads to these "cold and ugly" feelings he has about himself because he's scared to totally open up. It's not that he wants to be a transsexual... or be a woman. It's the affective qualities that a woman has that he doesn't allow himself to exhibit in his Maynard persona. (Affective qualities such as nurturing... caring... affection... vulnerability) Those are a lot of the same emotions that the "Maynard" side of him often represses because he's scared. He's keeping distance from his soul... even though he's aware (wide awake) of how he SHOULD be. However, he is frightened to totally be himself. He'd rather "wear" the flamboyant, feminine jewelry because it helps distract the eyes and mind from coming to terms with truth.

AllforUnity
05-06-2004, 06:32 AM
The to and the too also have to do with the lyrics on this site, or wherever else you get them. There isn't really a way for you, or any of us to know that it's TO and not TOO. As we all know already, alot of the lyrics on this site aren't 100% correct. SO how do you know that he doesn't mean too in what he's saying? You don't. l think in the song he's just stating how he's just like all of society, and scared as hell just like the rest of us.

ThreeDeviations
05-06-2004, 07:12 AM
AFU- Obviously, you've already said that.

Maynard himself apparently submitted these lyrics.

Are there many instances in Tool songs where he says other words than what are listed on the site? Absolutely.
Not only different words, but phrases and whispers that aren't listed anywhere.

However, when he does sing something exactly the way it's written... It's with purpose.
When Maynard was typing up the lyrics, he certainly knew the difference between "to" and "too" and obviously chose "to" because it made perfect sense in the context of the whole song.

He also prpbably assumed many people like yourself would automatically assume that he's meaning "too" when you listen to the song. You have to consider all variables when searching for the meaning of the song. Music, tone, emotion, lyrics and context are all factors that need to be considered.

You never addressed my one question/statement anyhow....

If the song wasn't about him.... then why would he submit "I am frightened to" as the actual lyrics?

Why would he write it that way if he didn't mean for it to be perceived that way.

That "to" is what he intended...

but, blind inertia is very powerful-

AllforUnity
05-06-2004, 11:28 AM
l did say that l think he would add (my version) l am frightened too, to indicate that all of society is like this "girl." Scared, and hiding behind a facade. Obviously, typing up to, instead of too, was not a mistake. So to me, either of us could be correct. My question is, what is he frightened of? He says "l am frightened to..." To what? lt never mentions anything after that sentence besides the rest of the song. "Wide away...and keeping distance from my soul." ls that what he is afraid of?

ThreeDeviations
05-06-2004, 03:36 PM
afi-

As I said before, I think the "she" is actually him. He's referring to self when he says "she."

So now think of it like this...

She's scared as hell.

"I AM FRIGHTENED TO."

He's saying that "I am frightened to" take off the jewelry...

When he says "I am frightened to" he's explaining...

why is it under the skin and jewelry? "He is frightened to." (open up)
why is it hidden? "He is frightened to" totally be himself... he'd rather keep the wall up.
he says "and she's scared as hell..." Which is the same as "I am frightened."
Trembling at the thought of feeling. Why? "He is frightened to" accept his thoughts and emotions.
Wide awake and keeping distance. Why, because "he is frightened to" be his true self.
Nothing seems to penetrate her. Why? "He is frightened to" let anything close to him.

You basically have to take that whole verse and see it as a whole..... and then see the line "I am frightened to" as his explanation for all troubling things mentioned in the first verse.

ThreeDeviations
06-05-2004, 09:03 AM
AFU- No more responses?

If you get to 1000 posts we give you a backstage pass.

Et in Arcadia Ego
06-05-2004, 09:37 PM
Pretty good theory here about the song interpretation, ThreeDeviations... However, I also agreed with the thoughts put together by Convoy_X...
I think there is too much mistry here for it to be about "him". I think that the best interption of this song was a first sexual incounter, I forget who said that but it was here.... Both people in the incounter are first-timers so it is ockward and frightening for them; I know my first time was.
I know the spelling isn't that great, but what he's saying does seem to make sense... The same way I can attribute those feelings to my first time...
He just isn't quite comfortable with the feelings and emotions that he instinctively knows will be there... Whether these feelings are the insecurities and uncertainties of who he is and how he feels (in conjunction with a feminine outlook on things...) Or the uncertainty and trembling of someone being "close" to someone else but trying to distance themselves from the experience at the same time...
I wrote a pome after my first time, and I could see young MJK wakeing up the next day and not being anle to get her out of his head. The look on her face, the way she did not seem to know what to realy do... and how he wanted to hade the fact that he was just as lost as she was...
Here I believe he could be putting his first thoughts out there... That fortress that you are trying to penetrate (Nothing seems to penetrate her) when the intimacy is almost lost behind the nervous gestures of someones first time... He's trying to penetrate the emotional wall that's cold and ugly... He's trying to evoke feelings of pleasure, trying to make her feel closer and safe... They're together but they're apart, because of their uncertainties...
I am frightened to.
I think this could either be read...
I am frightened too.
OR
I am frightened to...
The first one is obvious... He's in the same situation as she is, which he even makes clear with the last line...
I am scared like you.
And the other translation could simply be him trailing off... He doesn't know the words to say, to describe, because he has trouble understanding his primal urges and the reasoning he is trying to give himself for sleeping with her...
"I am frightened to penetrate you"... "I am frightened to come closer to you"...
It could be any number of things, but the trailing off exemplifies his uncertainty and the mysteries of what he has just done...
Was it right?
That's what I think he's asking himself... So overall, I find the "first time" theory just seems to sit better... But yours was also interesting, ThreeDeviations...

ThreeDeviations
06-06-2004, 12:30 AM
While I can appreciate your/that perspective, I certainly don't believe the lyrics agree to support your claim.

If he were talking about his "first sexual encounter...."
There wouldn't be a line "is a wall that's COLD AND UGLY."

There's a wall that's cold and ugly because he's nervous about a girl in underwear next to him??

That's not a "wall".... that's a house of cards. It wouldn't cause him/"her" to be COLD AND UGLY.. maybe just a little nervous and excited...

I think you have to really think about the choice of words he chose. "Cold and Ugly," don't really fit into aprehension about a first sexual experience. But they certainly DO fit when you consider it's the self description of his self/wall that he's not proud of.

Also, like I said before, he says, "I am frightened to." Ya can't twist it around and assume he means "too," so it will agree with an angle on the song.

Read the first passage...... and then think about the line "I am frightened to."
If you really give that some thought, and read it a few times... I think it will help clear things up. It's very basic.... but it really gives clarity to the song... people just brush over that line way too quickly.

Maynard carefully chooses every word he sings / writes.... and each word has significance.

The fact that he says "I am frightened to" at the end of the first passage eliminates the "2nd person" theory in the song.
If it were written "I am frightened too".... then your idea about 2 people.. or the "he's scared about his first sexual encounter" theory would hold a little water.

"Keeping distance from MY soul."
"I am frightened to."

Also something to consider..... the first word in the song- which is screamed in the beginning is "SAAAAAAAFFFEEEE!"

He's saying he feels "safe" behind the facade... behind his jewelry.

He's "safe... underneath her skin and jewelry"

and, how would he feel "safe" if he had all these anxieties about his "first sexual encounter?!?!?"

It just doesn't makes sense-

Et in Arcadia Ego
06-11-2004, 11:24 PM
It's all a matter of opinion... Where you say it doesn't fit the thoughts of a first sexual encounter I disagree and think that it does...
If he were talking about his "first sexual encounter...."
There wouldn't be a line "is a wall that's COLD AND UGLY."

There's a wall that's cold and ugly because he's nervous about a girl in underwear next to him??

That's not a "wall".... that's a house of cards. It wouldn't cause him/"her" to be COLD AND UGLY.. maybe just a little nervous and excited...
Bit of a narrow-minded dismissal, if you ask me...

If Maynard is thinking about his first sexual encounter in a subjective way, then I find it very possible for him to be faced with a "wall" of blank emotion and loss of feeling (even though the moment is supposed to be full of feeling and emotion...

Hidden in her words and eyes
Is a wall that's cold and ugly
and she's scared as hell

I mean, couldn't he be relating it to the scenario that although her words are filled with confidence and the determined strength of her opinions, the emptiness and fear that comes from being thrown into the unknown has her facing a wall, a barrier that is stopping her from enjoying the moment...

Also, like I said before, he says, "I am frightened to." Ya can't twist it around and assume he means "too," so it will agree with an angle on the song.
Okay, okay... Even though I don't agree that you can trust the translation of lryics to subtlety of meanings very well, I'll play along anyway...

So suppose that it does say "I am frightened to. I like the idea that it's him trailing off, unable of knowing what to say... For example...

I am frightened to say something comforting...

I am frightened to break the silence...

Or any other similar alternatives, which would then fit in nicely in the last few lines... Where he has the courage to also admit that he shares her fear...

Wide awake
I am scared like you.
He's saying he feels "safe" behind the facade... behind his jewelry.

He's "safe... underneath her skin and jewelry"

and, how would he feel "safe" if he had all these anxieties about his "first sexual encounter?!?!?"
Well, I'll tell you... IMHO I find the concept of being fearful juxtaposed with him screaming "safe" a great part of importance with the idea of a first sexual encounter...

When in the moment - of their sexual encounter - they are scared, they are withdrawn, they are closer to each other than they can be but at the same time they are distant... The scene that unwinds is one that's "cold and ugly"...

It's the classical feeling of ambivalence... Having two completely opposite feelings towards the same thing... You know you're safe when in the process of sex or any similar sexual act, but you feel "scared as hell" because it's your first time...

That's how I think you can relate the song to his first sexual encounter...

I know that you're going to say that it doesn't make sense again, but I also know that it's going to take more to sway me from my thoughts... So feel free to keep going because I will admit that I'm enjoying this discussion... Thanks...

ThreeDeviations
06-20-2005, 09:14 PM
anyone?
anyone?
anyone?
anyone?
anyone?
anyone?
anyone?
any one person.... please.

Tyson
06-21-2005, 01:55 AM
Give it up.

ThreeDeviations
06-21-2005, 06:03 AM
I did... on your type.

bluefire
06-27-2005, 05:53 PM
I wager that the "I am frightened too" line is maynards saying that while he condemns everything this woman is about, he empathizes with her.

ThreeDeviations
06-28-2005, 04:45 AM
I'll take that wager... especially considering how he doesn't say I am frightened "too." He says, I am frightened "to."

That should be the biggest hint about what the song is actually about... but people can't add. Probably because most imbeciles dont even know the difference between to and too.

bluefire
06-28-2005, 04:57 PM
A) Why would maynard refer to himself as a woman?
B) Why is the last line "I am scared like you" if he is talking about himself?
C) Where are you getting this "to" instead of "too"?

(to threedeviations)

ThreeDeviations
06-28-2005, 05:21 PM
Read this thread from the BEGINNING.... especially the first post. Your questions are answered.

toolshed.down.net lyrics... submitted by Maynard.... (not that everything that's submitted to that site is verbatim as to what is actually sung) but this isn't questionable considering the whole song's lyrics/meaning.

bluefire
06-28-2005, 05:39 PM
alright, I read the whole damn thread, and ill say that you could possible be right on. But who knows. And as far as dressing up as a woman, its probably because maynard loves the cock. This thread made me listen to the song for the first time in months, and thank you 3deviations for showing a new light on it. Thats why I love this section of the navy, the discussions about the songs make me fall in love with them all over again.

ThreeDeviations
06-28-2005, 07:07 PM
"maynard loves cock?"

I dunno about that, guy.

I think his desire for women is about as potent as anyone's.

But as for the post and song... I'm glad you took the time to read the thread. You might want to try reading my thread on 4 degrees... and my post for the prison sex video...

pathological2
08-04-2005, 05:40 AM
I agree with the overall meaning of the song. But I do not agree that "her" is referring to himself. But I do think all the things he says about "her" he also feels. He feels that same way as her.

ThreeDeviations
08-29-2005, 12:35 PM
She's scared as hell.

I am frightened to.

Wide awake
I am scared like you.

Why would he write "I am frightened to"..... if he wasn't referring to self? Think about that-
It's not "I am frightened too."

He's saying, "I am frightened to" take off my jewelery... (take down my walls)

"I am scared like you." = Him saying he has insecurities TOO.. "like you."

pathological2
08-29-2005, 02:41 PM
I just think it's a grammer error.

ThreeDeviations
08-29-2005, 04:29 PM
Hahahaha.

So now as calculating as Maynard is...

he's going to make a significant "grammar error" posting his lyrics.

I've heard it all now.

bluefire
08-29-2005, 06:40 PM
well since apparently maynard purposesly lies when he posts his lyrics, he might have typed it as "to" and sung "too". I mean you cant trust what he posts....right threedeviations???

ThreeDeviations
08-29-2005, 08:31 PM
Maynard doesn't "lie" when posting the lyrics.

He just doesn't tell you the whole truth.

He wants to see if you're capable of arithmetic.

Maybe he finds it amusing throwing you off the scent by naming a song "Stinkfist" or "Jerk-off"... then maybe he gets on here and reads about how you think it's about him masturbating... or how he "loves cock."

bluefire
09-01-2005, 01:01 PM
Hahahaha.

So now as calculating as Maynard is...

he's going to make a significant "grammar error" posting his lyrics.

I've heard it all now.

Check out pushit (aenima) that he submitted. It says "piece of mind". Now you and I both know that he doesn't mean he wants a piece of your cerebrum, he wants peace of mind. So yes he does make errors, and your flat out wrong. If he does it intentionally, then its only to make people like you think forever on it.

and thats it, your wrong.

edit: im not sure if you can detect sarcasm, but maynard liking the cock falls into that category.

ThreeDeviations
09-01-2005, 04:00 PM
You're vs your. look it up

he intentionally puts "piece" of mind on the lyrics even though he means "peace."

it wasn't a mistake..
you're clueless.

bluefire
09-01-2005, 04:10 PM
why does he intentionally do that then?

ThreeDeviations
05-28-2006, 10:57 PM
because he's frustrated..

Cha
06-23-2006, 05:40 AM
I think Cold and Ugly could be an early less complex (theme) version of the Grudge, or at least can relate to it.

ThreeDeviations
06-23-2006, 07:08 AM
I think Cold and Ugly could be an early less complex (theme) version of the Grudge, or at least can relate to it.

yeah, I agree... good observation.

Grey Skiez
07-11-2006, 08:37 AM
Got some pretentious folks up in here...

ThreeDeviations
07-11-2006, 01:31 PM
haha... anyone have an egg?

guttersnipe
07-19-2006, 05:56 AM
That's some pretty sweet insight TD (reffering to your original post). It makes a lot of sense and they're definetly some of Maynards most potent lyrics.

However I'm confused by the conclusion you draw at the end regarding his reason for wearing female attire. Why would Maynard disguise his own insecurities behind a female protagonist in the lyrics but then come out on stage dressed as a woman in order to express what is usually kept behind 'the wall'. Isn't he using the female identity as a part of his wall in the first place?

ThreeDeviations
08-04-2006, 11:49 PM
Just speculating on why he dresses up like that occasionally..

maybe that female on stage is the same "her" he refers to in the song...

but it's not just about the song "cold and ugly" when he used to dress like that... that sort of persona had multiple purposes.

I do see what you're saying, but like I said, the scope of the female attire goes well beyond how it relates to this particular song.

I agree, pretty potent and telling lyrics...

thank you

Rosenbarger13
08-09-2006, 07:21 PM
[QUOTE=Hidden in her words and eyes- Is a wall that's cold and ugly and she's scared as hell.
[/QUOTE]

If you remember, Maynard did wear a woman suit...

I never thought about that theory. It never occured to me that it could be him.

Alka
09-24-2006, 05:40 AM
Very nice and interesting interpretation! All that you say is reasonable, but I just FEEL another one, much more linear (a person afraid to show off herself 'coz she's scared of other people's thoughs).

Your theory about Maynard's dress-ups on stage can be related to the "Tool Enigma" (Split Personas thread on Opiate section) though.

Anyway, I don't think that the lyrics he submitted are mistakes-free; just take a look at Opiate's one (guide instead of use). But he could mean I'm frightened to penetrate her (not in a sexual way) asd well.

Phorty
09-26-2006, 05:33 AM
Honestly , im all for introspective analysis of TOOL's lyrics , but i think as far as the opiate EP goes , its fairly cut & dry.
Sure, your perspective on the lyrics are refreshing , but i agree with Alka's take on it , being that it might just be about someone afraid of revealing themselves before the judgmental eyes of everyone/anyone , and maynards distaste for her passive nature , and his admittance to harboring the same complex.

The on stage persona can definitely be attributed to Alka's "Tool Enigma" , the female attire i always thought was a reference to the proverbial "Hooker with a Penis" ( someone/something that whores itself out but screws you just as equally).

Forever In Debt
10-17-2006, 04:02 PM
ThreeD is right. That is not some mistake you make. It doesn't keep happening throught the whole song. The song is so much clearer when you think about it in TD's perspective.