gonzo
08-07-2019, 08:32 AM
i liked it's tastiness

lotus.
08-07-2019, 08:43 AM
9/10

Whowatchesthewampas
08-07-2019, 09:09 AM
Pretty great, excited for more! Also, Hello! I'm new!

The Embryo 2
08-07-2019, 09:41 AM
Pretty great, excited for more! Also, Hello! I'm new!

Welcome! You have good timing

Whowatchesthewampas
08-07-2019, 09:47 AM
Welcome! You have good timing

Thanks! I used to lurk here wayyyyyyy back in the day in the early 2000's, but never had an account. I was reminded of Tool Shed today with all the news, and even though I remembered seeing on Reddit back in 2016 that it would no longer be updated, I wanted to check it out to see if there was anything on the new album since I used to come here back in the day. I found the forums still had activity and thought I should probably join!

IC
08-07-2019, 05:13 PM
One particular thing to note - this track has some of the best Danny Carey drumming of their whole body of work.

lotus.
08-07-2019, 05:18 PM
One particular thing to note - this track has some of the best Danny Carey drumming of their whole body of work.

I concur!!

Liam
08-07-2019, 05:24 PM

For sure. The slow swing 3 over 4 feel during the 11/4 guitar riff is delicious. (starting at around 6:17)

UlyssEEEeeeEEEeees
08-07-2019, 05:40 PM

In 2006 SpiralOut987 lamented the politicizing of Tool. Danny Carey had told Kerrang! that they were "products of that fucking Reagan thing, we were pissed off and bummed-out, we had that angst, and now its coming forth again: like it or not were products of our environment. We're pissed off again" I think the drums are saying something.

deppo
08-08-2019, 03:55 AM
Can't wait to hear this in the context of the full record. Still sounds so familiar after so long. I swore I wouldn't over-listen it before the full record is released but failing.... 1:39 when Justin kicks in :-)

dmwc
08-08-2019, 02:11 PM
It's.. just okay. They've repeated so many musical ideas across releases that it tends to be a little like self-cannibalism. Pretty soon there will be nothing left to eat.

It just feels like a few different sections of music slapped together. There are definitely things in it I like, but I'm not boarding the hype train anytime soon.

As far as best drum performance? I'm not even on the same planet as anyone feeling that.

I know. A dissenting opinion. Get the pitchfork.

iAMtheMA!
08-08-2019, 02:41 PM
contrarian cynicism already speaks volumes, pitchforks not required

dmwc
08-08-2019, 04:01 PM
contrarian cynicism already speaks volumes, pitchforks not required

Yes. That's exactly the response I meant by "pitchfork." I obviously wasn't being literal.

I'm disagreeing -- therefore I'm just a contrarian or a cynic (I'm not even sure how that would apply here) and don't have a valid opinion, or at the very least shouldn't express it.

deppo
08-08-2019, 04:53 PM
It's.. just okay. They've repeated so many musical ideas across releases that it tends to be a little like self-cannibalism. Pretty soon there will be nothing left to eat.

It just feels like a few different sections of music slapped together. There are definitely things in it I like, but I'm not boarding the hype train anytime soon.

I agree with this to some degree. There is undoubtedly some very familiar sounds, riffs, scales and structures in there referencing past releases. I'm not bored or disappointed by it though, these are the things I love about Tool's music, so I'm OK with hearing them again; tweaked, refined and wrapped around some new themes and ideas. That's essentially what the band is to me.