PDA

View Full Version : Source for speculations?

nobody_
11-30-2003, 01:19 AM
Judging not only from this song, but tendencies displayed in other songs and interviews, it seems Maynard experienced some kind of abuse by an authority figure that really traumatized him. It's obvious that a stint in the military would allow plenty of opportunities for physical, mental, or even sexual abuse. Yet I've read that he has hinted at, if not flat out admitted to, being sexually abused by his stepfather. I've seen this mentioned in Tool bios and descriptions, but I have yet to find a direct quote where Maynard mentions his stepfather. Does anyone know of a source, namely an interview, in which he does?

I'm drawn to examining this because I have a lot of respect and feeling for those who have survived trauma and who have worked through the process of coming to terms with it. I'm moved by the passion and anguish Maynard shares and am curious what he's chosen to reveal about some of the sources of these feelings.

AllforUnity
12-04-2003, 08:00 AM
Well you're obvious to get "abused" in the military and such...but I don't know if it's totally traumatized Maynard...I think it's something to write about and sing about, so he chooses to do so.