PDA

View Full Version : Introspective stages of life

firesuite
11-28-2003, 01:36 PM
This is very very abstract so just bear with me. As always, Tool's lyrics are meant to be food for thought and imagination. So here goes:

One way of looking at this is thinking of the three connected to the song "Lateralus" and the stages of life. The theme of the title track (to me) represents re-birth and re-discovering oneself in an ideal light. The end of "Lateralus" is symbolic of the death of the former self. Its almost as if the narrator of the album (Maynard, if you will) becomes aware of what he needs to become (the ideal balance of logic and emotion as represented in "Lateralus") and therefore enters into a deep meditation in which he is "re-born" and analyzes his life. Think of all three tracks together as one long, introspective "trip."

Think of the beginning of "Disposition" as the actual re-birth. The texture of the song is so entrancing and, in a way, very very innocent, much like the mind of a child. One listens to this song with an air of curiosity and hope. We come into life "wide-eyed and hopeful" but upon learning the ways of the world, our innocence is lost: "mention this to me, watch the weather change." The weather changes from innocent and hopeful to loathing, regret, and worry.

The song "Reflection" is very clearly introspective. The narrator looks at his life in this vision (or mediation, trip or whatever you would like to call it) and sees the person he has become. The final lyrics though are parallel to the ideals presented in Lateralus, becoming aware of the changes that must take places in our lives "before we pine away."

If "Lateralus" is a set of instructions for what needs to be, then "Triad" is the actual process. It is the metamorphisis, the purge, the cleansing, the descent or possibly even the ascension. This song represents some kind of change. It is not a suggestion to "spiral out." It is the actual spiraling.

Who knows? We may see a new Tool on their next album. As with all Tool albums, the final tracks are epic and foreshadowing of whats to come. "Third Eye's" curiosity, introspection, and (at times) melody definately point to Lateralus. At the end of Aenima, its almost as if they have discovered a whole new world of thought through the eyes of a new perception (pried open third eyes", and on Lateralus attempt to explore this. Upon their exploration of their opened "doors of perception" they come to somewhat of a temporary conclusion: the ideals of "Lateralus" and then the actual process of "Dis/Ref/Triad."

In addition, (to wrap it up really quickly), the musical structure of these three songs is very repetitive: very hypnotic jams. They are not structured songs like "Schism" or "The Patient". This again points to a meditative state.

So listen to "Lateralus" as a warm-up, followed by these three songs together. We'll meet you on the other side.

"Fear and regret are the twin thieves that rob us of today."

synesthesia
12-27-2003, 09:53 PM
Woah.. Thats very interesting. Ive been thinking of somthing similar to what you have described but i couldnt put it into words. Good posting!

layersbeyondimagination
01-10-2004, 06:37 PM
very interesting way of putting it.. it makes a lotta sense when you put it next to the music and what the music ( not lyrics) tries to correspond. but 90-99% of the time most of us on tdn are wrong in comparison to what the band and maynard with his lyrics were inteding. but then again, isnt it what we derive from it what really matters..

THATS WHAT MAKES TOOL GREAT!!!

Skinshifter01
01-19-2004, 02:30 PM
Awesome. Someone who can finally see some of the picture. In 46&2, MJK described ...well, 46&2, the next level of consciousness. In Third Eye, he described a dream reality that's been calling to him - another life force that's been sending him images in his dreams : "it's bright and blue and shimmerin' grinnin' wide and comforting me with its three wanton wild eyes." This face in his dreams is singing him songs and leading him to the next level.

As you said, Lateralus as a song is in a sence him stepping up to the next level. But I would venture to say that Lateralus as an album is a guide book to HOW to step up to the next level. How to reach 46&2. With the Grudge, MJK points out that you have to let go of your grudges, you have to forgive, or it'll "drag you down like a stone to consume you...". The Patient is MJK's display of patience, his showing that by waiting it out, and keeping our loved ones close to us, we'll survive no matter what. Schism is keeping communication tight, and Parabol/Parabola are loving the moments that are keeping us alive.

Then we get to Ticks and Leeches. T&L is MJK losing it and lashing out at those that he holds his Grudge for, that He has to be The Patient for, that "suck me dry". He just loses it, and it goes to show that you can still be human, you don't have to live perfectly.

Once Lateralus comes around, MJK's all about stepping up again, all about "spiral[ing] out" about feeling the rhythm and letting the waves of eternity wash over his body.

By the time Dis/Ref/Tri come along, as you said, MJK is in a trance-like, meditative state. If you attempt to meditate during these songs, you will have a lot of success. In fact, when I used to do the breathing excercises necissary to finding one's Merkaba, I found my best results during Reflection. This song, if you look at is as one, is just that, a Mantra, it's basically a demonstration of what 46&2 is like, it's Tool, stepping up.

Superfuzz
06-04-2004, 06:16 PM
Yes. Yes. Yes! You're all right! I have always looked the album and d/r/t kind of from all these points of view. This brings them together. I see it now, this gives me a new understanding! Excellent post!

IC
07-11-2004, 07:22 PM
kind of like more of whats going on spiritually rather than emotionally (aenima) in the proccess

Liquid Ashes
07-15-2004, 02:58 PM
Yes.. Dispostion into reflection are two songs that really represent the ideas of spiritual acsension. They show how different steps can be taken to help better a persons life. Its funny how closely TOOLs messages correlate with Carlos Constanadas work IMO.