PDA

View Full Version : orchestral oversight

porcelain anima
12-15-2002, 03:36 PM
Is it just me or is the arrangement of the patient on the string tribute to tool a little …off. I think who ever arranged that one got the wrong idea of the heavier parts.

MushroomStamp
12-18-2002, 05:52 AM
I think the whole string project was ... off. It just didn't feel right. To each his own i guess.

Dionysus
12-21-2002, 11:00 AM
I had the same feeling. I'm sure it's just the arrangemints. I know that Apocalyptica has done well covering metallica stuff with four cellos.

unumveritas
12-21-2002, 09:24 PM
my biggest complaint about the string arrangement is the injustice done to Justin's bass compositions. His part in "The Patient" is more intricate and beautifully melodic than is depicted by the string arrangement. I'd also have to agree with the "off"ness of the heavier parts. Still, I find it interesting and worth listening to. It's different.
It seems to me they concentrate a lot on the melodies weaved by Maynard.

ATG
01-14-2003, 09:37 AM
Basically the string section did their own interpretations of the songs. The most noticeable difference in The Patient is in the refrain, where the they pretty much kept the melody intact, but changed the chords up. My guess is that they found Tool's chord progressions to be a little Spartan (which they are).

MushroomStamp
01-20-2003, 09:25 AM
They also didnt feel like tuning to drop d.

Sora
02-16-2003, 06:11 PM
It definately seems a little mixed up. It is very good, though.