PDA

View Full Version : Hello, and my thoughts on Parabola

Ness
11-21-2003, 09:57 PM
This is my first post here, but I have been reading these forums from time to time. Before I start, I would like to state my current outlook on life and existance.
For a start, I am 17, turn 18 in 9 days. I was raised catholic and have been catholic until about 2 years ago when i really started reading into the bible. Once i read up on it, i decided that it wasnt what i was looking for. I drifted away from christianity, and kind of stayed nutral and learning. I think i have found somthing that makes sense to me.
My theory of existance and life is a bit messy and pieced together from several different things, but its credible because its not just my theory.

To start, let me state the basics. I think that each of us have a soul/spirit, and once we die, our spirit goes to heaven (providing its a good spirit, not providing how we act on this earth, unless the spirit that we have is a bad one.) I kind of picture heaven as a bus stop. Once we die, our soul leaves us and goes to heaven. It can chose to stay there, or take form in another body to experiance more.
I guess this would be the belief in reincarnation. Yet our spirits dont progress into future bodies. To the spirit, time is nothing. Time is only how you precieve it. A fly only lives 24 hours, but to the fly it is a life time. You are in thouch most with your spirit when you are sleeping or when you are in deep meditation. Astral travel is taking your spirit from your body and allowing it to explore.
To me, the subconcious is the dormant area where your spirit rests. We arent aware of our spirits past lives (which dont take place in any particular time) unless we tap into it by non suggestive hypnosis. Time is only how we precieve it. Think about when you sleep for only 15 minutes, yet your dreams can lasts hours. That being said, it seems we only exist to feed the soul that rests inside us. There is alot more to it that i wish not to type, and cannot sort it all out in my head to type, but thats the basics of it.

Now as for life itself, i believe that we live in a multiverse. An infinate universe, where far beyond there are infinate universes that are exact copies of each other, and the only difference between the universe that we live now, and any other universe out there, is choice. Think of your life as an infinate coil of wire. Each path you take in life represents a wire, and each wire represents an alternate universe where that choice is carried through. When you make a choice, you jump from wire to wire. When you chose to do one thing, there will be a reality somewhere else where you made the other choice. When you experiance deja vu, you are breifly picking up on the other paths that have passed already. In some realitys, a choice you have made might have left you dead. This seems to be how people practicing voodoo curses work. They find the reality where you are dead, and carry it over to this reality. This is the basics of which i follow for this.

Now why was that important to this interpritation of parabol/parabola? I didnt realize this until the other night when i was recalling these thoughts and the connection made.

So familiar and overwhelmingly warm
This one, this form I hold now. (Recognizing that you have had past experiances in other bodily forms)
Embracing you, this reality here,
This one, this form I hold now, so
Wide eyed and hopeful.
Wide eyed and hopefully wild.
(The soul taking in the reality that it is living now, in hope that it is an exciting one)
We barely remember what came before this precious moment,
Choosing to be here right now. (We are not fully aware of our past spirits lives, and its choice to be with us currently)
Hold on, stay inside...
This body holding me, reminding me that I am not alone in
This body makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion.
(Even after death, we are eternal because we return to life again in another form. All the pain we experiance is just a feeling to show that we are alive, yet it does nothing to the soul.)

And it just goes on and on from there.

I love tool. They were the "key to opening my mind" so to speak. I wasnt influenced in any way to start listening to them, and in fact, i bought lateralus without knowing anything of tool, not even what they sang. I knew of about 2 songs, schisim and lateralus that they sang before i bought the cd. I wasnt even sure which cd was their newest. At the store i was presented with opiate, undertow, aenema, and lateralus, and i unknowingly chose lateralus. From there it just flowed to me and opened me up.

Talonwulf
02-12-2004, 09:50 AM
Thats a pretty good interpretation. I agree with you with the soul part in a way, but not on the good or bad sould thing. Who is to decide who has a bad or a good spirit? Look at an animal, say a sheep. When you look at a sheep, can you tell if it a bad sheep or a good sheep? Study it for years. You still won't know. Works with any animals, although sometimes there may be circumstances on domesticated animals such as cat or dogs who might seem evil if they bite you a lot. But the point is, who decides whats bad or not? What is bad? What is good? You say good spirits can only enter new hosts. Then why are there still "evil" people around?

I'm not saying your wrong, It's just my opinion on yours. Whats really important is that it has changed your thoughts on something that youve thought yourself.

Sic Aenima
02-26-2004, 02:59 AM
I'm a christian, but sometimes i wonder if all these makes sense to me or not. I'm still looking for what i needed and what i wanted. :)
Your post somehow triggered me to the new world, thanx.

BigCheese
02-26-2004, 09:19 PM
Thats a pretty good interpretation. I agree with you with the soul part in a way, but not on the good or bad sould thing. Who is to decide who has a bad or a good spirit? Look at an animal, say a sheep. When you look at a sheep, can you tell if it a bad sheep or a good sheep? Study it for years. You still won't know.

Yeah, I had the same problem with it also, but it is just my opinion also, not for me to judge what you think.

But when you said the stuff about not everything connecting in your head yet, I just felt like saying something. I've only been alive for 18 years and have just recently (maybe like 2 years) that I've been actually beginning to open my mind. Something I've realize nothing, absolutely nothing can ever be proven. I can't think of one example.

Basically what I'm getting at is don't change your beliefs because of little flaws you see. Just work them out, or research, or whatever until you realize it. I have the same thing, being Christian not all things work out in my head. But, I'm researching, or looking for an understanding instead of when I was 14 or whatever just going along with it. It's really a lot better for me that way, and much more beneficial and fulfilling for me, it's like it's real because I agree with it, not because a lot of kids I hang out with are involved with Wicka and stuff and I felt like being with that crowd (very cliched, but whatever, it's true). I know I sound all preachy and crap, but that's not what I'm trying to get at. I'm just saying it's satisfying to know it's what I believe, and I can honestly say that now, and if I run into a problem, I am developing an ability to figure it out. Very cool.

Luna Galapogos
02-27-2004, 06:26 PM
I am also a christian, I do not find flaws in my faith, and I think about it a lot. I used to find what could be flaws, but study, dedicated thought, and the realization that based on many many studies, what is said in the Bible is true, I have no problems. There are things such as "the burning bush and Moses," you could say that that isn't provable, and you would be right. How can we know for certain that a bush was on fire without burning up, and then on top of that, spoke to Moses? Faith. Based on the fact that we know other things in the Bible are very true, you come to the place where you realize that if everything else is true, then this must be true as well. And I don't believe that we decide who is a "good" spririt and who is a "bad" one. In fact, I wouldn't say it in that way at all. I would say a spirit that has a relationship with God, and one that does not. That is what decides if your going to heaven or not. Take Mother Teresa, she was a great woman, she did many great things for people that really needed it. She lived the life of sacrifice, but that doesn't mean that she went to heaven. If she never established a relationship with God, then she didn't go to heaven. I can say that I believe in God, or that I believe there is a God, but that doesn't mean you have a relationship. You have to actually ask for Jesus to come into your life/spirit/soul/etc... with an open heart that isn't doing it as a safeguard from the possibility of Hell, or for a reason to do whatever you want. Anyway, I'm sure that you have your thoughts/beliefs, and I'm glad you do. I will not tell you who to believe, what to believe, or anything else. You choose what you want to believe.

"If nothing else kills you, breathing will."

Talonwulf
03-11-2004, 04:32 PM
I think the whole point of msot religions was to give order among people. But they use tales and stories that are completely fake cos well, in those days, and even now, people liked stories. Thats the hting i like about religion. It gives us all the way to live in harmony, to feel secure in our society. Without religion there would be even more crime around cos our forefathers passed down teir "learnings" onto us. They believed in god so they behaved, then they taught their childen to behave. Cant be assed explaining in full so im just gonna assume u get my point.

What i dont like about it is that its stil la fact people still belive there is a god, and it also makes a lot of people "unsure" if there is a god or not. This makes a lot of people... well pretty much stupid sometimes. They should follow the bible etc. as a rulebook, not a answer to life...

But thats jsut my half assed written down opinion... i would go into further but its too late at night

Suso22
03-12-2004, 07:13 AM
Ness- It is my opinion that you shouldn't abandon your christian religion, although you may have come to a particular conclusion at this point in your life, just remember that there are many positively moral contributions that religion can grant to a society.

AllforUnity
03-12-2004, 09:17 AM
Why do you have to contribute? Religion is about you, not society.

Suso22
03-12-2004, 12:28 PM
Well, I choose to be a part of society...so we are joined together by commonalities such as religion.

ÆnimaticEnigma
04-16-2004, 12:54 PM
Ness- It is my opinion that you shouldn't abandon your christian religion, although you may have come to a particular conclusion at this point in your life, just remember that there are many positively moral contributions that religion can grant to a society.

I agree with what AllforUnity (when don't I?) says. Who are you to say what he should/shouldn't do? If people do what others want them to do, aren't they just tools themselves?

Think for yourself.

ÆnimaticEnigma
04-16-2004, 01:39 PM

I agree with what AllforUnity (when don't I?) says. Who are you to say what he should/shouldn't do? If people do what others want them to do, aren't they just tools themselves?

Think for yourself.

ÆnimaticEnigma
04-16-2004, 01:40 PM
haha oops i posted that one twice.... sorrrrry(my comps being slow and it didnt show the post after i refreshed a billion times)

ÆnimaticEnigma
04-16-2004, 01:40 PM
Well, I choose to be a part of society...so we are joined together by commonalities such as religion.

so, you're saying you are a TOOL...

Ertai
07-16-2004, 03:14 PM
i think everyone has their thoughts on parabol/a and that there are scathered thoughts in these fourms full of meanful explanations. If their is a way for someone to pick the top ideas or concepts of this video and put them all into one thread, i would be gratful....

Parabol/a video is what truly boggles me.....

Mr Omnipotent
07-16-2004, 11:13 PM
fuck your god

Cyanide ChrYst
07-22-2004, 11:05 PM
"holy reality/holy experience" suggest Maynard's deep respect for the ideology of Life itself. Like, if you think about it, Life is a fucking unfathomable concept. How it came about, how it works. I don't believe in god or any of that nonsense but just the idea of Life itself kind of makes my head spin.

This song from an atheist's perspective is literally about being eternal. We are all composed of matter, when we are living, and when we are dead that matter does not die with us but instead transfers into the soil around us and anything else a body decomposes into. Even when cremated the matter transfers to the atmosphere.

Matter cannot be created or destroyed; it always was and always will be; and being composed of this indestructable substance, in that sense...we ARE eternal.

I look at the 'pain is an illusion' thing literally too. Your brain tells you to move your hand when you stick it on a hot stove. But is the reaction THAT necessary? The burn isnt life-threatening; therefore it's not really necessary that your brain over-reacts like that. It's basically when your mom bitches at you to not talk to strangers. You're never going to get raped; it's just something mothers babble about.

"Celebrate this chance to be alive and breathing" could be more directed at the entire concept of life itself. How at some (preordained or not) point in time, when the earth had just enough heat from the sun and water from the ground or whatever, Life was created. Sounds like a thing to be celebrated.

As I see it, Life is the luxurious division of Existence and we're all damned lucky to have Maynard remind us personally. I'm going to go warm up a bagel and have sex with it now.

Cyanide ChrYst
07-22-2004, 11:07 PM
"You wanna know the difference between a republican and a democrate? Republicans blow... democrates suck"
- Lewis Black

It's democrat, poo-toast. What are you, twelve?

Rhymeandreason
09-03-2004, 12:00 AM
Good and Evil, in realitity, it's just words we use to descibe certain actions. But in truth they have certain unlying effects, if something hurts you, affects you in a negative way or even if it's something you see as undesirable, it could be considered "evil".

aenigma
09-03-2004, 04:08 PM
I noticed that others in this thread (and there are most likely others on this board) have an ex-christian story. If you are interested in sharing your story, or if you are questioning your own faith and want to read other's, you should check out http://www.exchristian.net

Pharmaecopia_stinkfist
09-03-2004, 07:21 PM
Keep in mind, thease are just thoughts.
What if religion (christianity) was made to control people.
EX: Death isn't a bad thing. The point of life is to be positive and live a long full life, die, then start a new life. How "good", or enjoyable you'r next life is, is determined on how you lived your last one. Like being respectful, not ending lives that have no reason to be ended, things like that.

Now think about this;
There are two types of people.
1 - thinks independently, generally believes in everything i'm saying now.
2- Christian fundamentalist. Believes if you say "fuck jesus" (and dont mean it, your just saying something which in reality has no effect one anything in our past life. well, thats what i believe anyway) that you'r going straight to hell.

Now think about this, Type two has created the thought of hell (with satan and fire and stuff) to prevent people from turning into type one people, and thinking for them selves and opening their minds to knew perspectives on life. They try and make you think that if you do certain things or rebel that your going to hell. This allows them to control you.

A more realistic version of hell, would be that your next life sucks, or maybe that your suspended from life, and your a ghost (and that could be where ghosts come from....)
So you do need to be "good" to avoid hell, but hell isn't what christianity has tought you to believe...
Think about how many people are afraid of the fact that there goign to die someday, when really they should embrace it, because death is a good thing. It's a new life. It's just another experience, like having an orgasm, or taking a shit.

Now, if you think this is shit, keep in mind that i'm 14. And if you think this is good, and maybe if your against drugs, guess what? i was stoned out of my mind when i wrote this down. Maybe it doesn't make as much sense now, and maybe i dont have as much faith in thease thoughts, but when i was high, it was like this was the answer to life. It was amazing.

Pharmaecopia_stinkfist
09-09-2004, 05:23 PM
no one has anything to say?

Lackymacky
09-10-2004, 02:16 PM
*raises hand*

Cyanide ChrYst
09-17-2004, 08:57 AM
I have something to say.

You've all got this stuff down, man! I agree with everything.

tcM_Emperor
09-28-2004, 10:28 AM
What I found works best for me is taking a step back from reality and contimplating every religion/belief system/science there is. After years of doing this I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to keep myself open minded to the idea that any religion/belief system is POSSIBLE to be true, but I never conclude nor do I exclude. Do I think science is more plausible then mormonism? Yes, do I think Mormonism isn't possible? Not at all, I think as with everything else it's a possibility.

If you take a step back and analyze all the different ways to explain/believe in this reality, you can find one that truely makes you feel mentally and spirtually whole. I myself feel comfortable with the possibility perspective. The next person may find Buddism as the religion/belief system that makes them feel complete so to speak. The fact of the matter is, there may be an after-life or re-incarnation, or there may not be. As Parabola states you should celebrate this chance to be alive and breathing while you have the chance.

Cyanide ChrYst
09-28-2004, 01:04 PM
I'm not spiritual at all, so that doesnt work for me.

My mom's all into powercrystals and stuff..its ridiculous.

Triangular_Vision
09-29-2004, 06:03 PM
well said emperor.

scummonk
10-06-2004, 05:49 AM
I'm not spiritual at all, so that doesnt work for me.

My mom's all into powercrystals and stuff..its ridiculous.

I have no problem with religion and stuff if you believe in something because my spirtuality i find in music.
I don't like people who try and inflict their beliefs on me.