PDA

View Full Version : This is Maynards Revenge !

TheDisturbed1
12-15-2002, 02:48 AM
i cam up wid this idea yesterday nite!....how many times have u choked up while singing this song!....?tool toks alot about fans suckin' them dry in many of their songs....this song is a mind game played wid all of us!if u ever noticed u cant sing this song wid maynard as u think its meant to be....thats cuz maynard isn't screaming..me and my friend did a similar thingee...maynards voice is a supressed scream...this wud never hurt is throat or vocals....but when u sing this song...u choke up...and at that time maynard hopes u r chokin'!

....think 4 urself...my idea will definitely change ur theory about this song....

pink gentile
12-18-2002, 04:17 PM
nice theory, i never really "choked" while singing it, although i cant hold a scream as long as maynard. but then my vioce just kind of fades. but altogther, i like it.

nice going

p.s. work on your grammar, i had a hard time understanding.

TheDisturbed1
12-19-2002, 05:14 AM
Thanx for ur apreciation buddy!.....and sorry for the grammatical and spelling errors and i type really fast and usually dunt check what i write....neways...rock on dude....and i have got another evidence that can prove my theory to be correct....the murmuring in the middle of the song is actually something like u hurt me....sell this record to child and in the later part the screams of suck me dry continue.....lissen to it carefully....

apcdc
01-08-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by TheDisturbed1
how many times have u choked up while singing this song!....?

Id have to say I really agree with you. Once again its Tool's twisted humor. Maynard breaks his voice while recording it caouse he works so hard doing it, then at a concert he turns around and he doesnt even really scream.
Ive been off on a Tool spree and this is the last song on Lateralus that I have to be able to do. I can get really loud but my voice doesnt break into a shout that easily. So there I am trying to manage doing this, virtually inhaling water, and pulling off T&L.
I think I manage to do T&L 4 times, it would probably be less if I put more into it. But here come the side effects: I was fine, voice a little scratchy, but really no problem there. But I had excess mucous in my throat for at least a week which kinda threw off some of my vocals occasionally. But I still have a lot of time to be able to shout like that cause im only 13.

animantra
01-08-2003, 09:33 PM
I disagree.

It's not exactly a fact that this song is about ravenous fans harassing the band. It is merely one of several theories. I think it's far more likeley that Maynard is referring to their old label. I mean, some fans may be really annoying but "theiving bastards" seems a little extreme.

Also, I don't think Maynard determines his singing/screaming efforts according to how others will perform his songs in the future in some grand attempt at a practical joke.

Ahnijson_films
01-08-2003, 11:10 PM
I disagree also, because I read in interview (go to the FAQs section, Lateralus, Ticks and Leeches) about why they have never done it live (except for the shows where Maynard's voice was synth), and he says that he threw his voice out during recording and couldn't sing for 3 weeks afterwards. Your theory of a compressed scream that therefore didn't hurt him is incorrect. And also, I do no think Maynard has that much contempt for his fans. I think, for the most part, he realizes his fans are stupid and ignorant and part-time Slipknot fans. However, I also think he realizes not all are obnoxious and not all would rush him to grab a lock of hair (heh) if they saw him in Wal-Mart. Wanting to cause his fans pain is not likely.

i hope

paluka
01-09-2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Ahnijson_films
I disagree also, because I read in interview (go to the FAQs section, Lateralus, Ticks and Leeches) about why they have never done it live (except for the shows where Maynard's voice was synth), and he says that he threw his voice out during recording and couldn't sing for 3 weeks afterwards. Your theory of a compressed scream that therefore didn't hurt him is incorrect. And also, I do no think Maynard has that much contempt for his fans. I think, for the most part, he realizes his fans are stupid and ignorant and part-time Slipknot fans. However, I also think he realizes not all are obnoxious and not all would rush him to grab a lock of hair (heh) if they saw him in Wal-Mart. Wanting to cause his fans pain is not likely.

i hope

You can't judge a persons intelligence by what they listen to. If that was the case the world is in trouble. Add up all the people that listen to very simplistic music like rap and pop and you are in for trouble.

Ahnijson_films
01-09-2003, 12:39 AM
I don't necessarily mean intelligent in the entire world sense, I mean intelligent musically. When I say stupid or ignorant, i don't mean that they have a low IQ or aren't Harvard Law graduates, I mean that they are stupid when it comes to music.

And of course, I say stupid from my perspective. I have friends that are fans of Arab on Radar and Concrete Violin and Melt Banana who say that I am stupid for listening to TooL.... so who knows who is correct. Being a human and therefore narcissistic by nature, I say I am.

theologue
01-09-2003, 07:16 AM
Like Ahnijson_films said..... he didn't use the voice compression stuff or whatever in the recording of the song because he said he couldn't sing for 3 weeks afterwards. Then it would make sense that the few times this song has been played live it uses something to distort his voice so he is able to sing for the next 3 weeks.

I think you are trying to look too deep into it with the theory about revenge on the fans. He screams because it is an angry song.

TheDisturbed1
01-09-2003, 08:19 AM
well that wuz my opinion....and i think i shudn't be believing in wot the FAQ has to say...Maynard is a big joke and i dunt take any of his statements to be neccesarily true!...and u say he screams cuz its an angry song...i can name a thousand other angry songz by Tool....but he doesn't scream this way....when he performed this live...he must have sung it the way he did it while recording...i am not getting too deep into it...i wuz singing this song & i started thinkin'...is this man tryin' 2 drain me off my voice?...and that is the point where this idea came up to me!nonetheless every1 is titled to their opinion....u can take it neway u want it to!.....

i agree wid those who said ppl cant be judged by the music they listen to...some ppl juss go 4 instumental thingz juss to relax their senses....but inside they r aware of every thing that Tool tells us or any other philosiphical rockband tells us!....