PDA

View Full Version : Inconsitant

radmanics
11-19-2003, 03:43 PM
N.B. I did a quick search sorry if this has been answered/discussed

I hope I am not the only one who has realised the inconsitancy in the spelling of this song's title, with the album's title:
Album = Ænima
Song = Ænema

I have searched on dictionary.com and they are not two different words; Ænema (or anema) is not a word on this dictionary site. I was wondering, therefore, if there is any significance in this incositancy?

For reference:

anima (Ænima)
The inner self of an individual; the soul.
In Jungian psychology:
The unconscious or true inner self of an individual, as opposed to the persona, or outer aspect of the personality.
The feminine inner personality, as present in the unconscious of the male. It is in contrast to the animus, which represents masculine characteristics.

anema (Ænema)
No entry found for anema.
Did you mean anemia?

anemia ( a·nae·mi·a Variant of anemia.)
A pathological deficiency in the oxygen-carrying component of the blood, measured in unit volume concentrations of hemoglobin, red blood cell volume, or red blood cell number.

Think about it, I know I will.

Mehhico
11-19-2003, 08:43 PM
My reasoning is basically that Ænima, as you said is related closely to the Jungian term "anima", and I think represents the individual, or personal battles that the album encourages, to understand yourself better.

The song Ænema, is more closely related to the term enema, which is the flushing of the bowels. But I think the band has used this spelling, with the lyrics of the song, to illustrate the more universal, world-wide calling of a flushing of all the shit we (humans; as a race) have produced.

Thats my opinion in a nutshell.

Take care,
Andy

radmanics
11-26-2003, 10:10 AM
That would make perfect sense... especially using the Æ character... not sure which, leaving you with doubt to figure out. heh. thanks. (really like the idea of LA being the bowels of the earth)

Three Libras
12-09-2003, 02:41 PM
I know this really has nothing to do with this particular discussion. But i do know the correct way to say it... it's "ah-nima" "o-nima" kinda like onomotopeia

salival_sty
12-22-2003, 01:19 AM
I know this really has nothing to do with this particular discussion. But i do know the correct way to say it... it's "ah-nima" "o-nima" kinda like onomotopeia

Actually, that depends on just what you determine as the language from which the AE dipthong is derived here. If it's Latinate, the "AE" should be pronounced "eye," as in "Vae." If it's Teutonic or modern Greek, it should be pronounced "ee," as in the "aegis" of Zeus.

As noted in the FAQs (G2), the "official" pronunciation is apparently "ON-ima," though band members have been heard saying, "enema."

Nothing's easy.

umbilicalchemist
01-12-2004, 06:27 AM
Actually, that depends on just what you determine as the language from which the AE dipthong is derived here. If it's Latinate, the "AE" should be pronounced "eye," as in "Vae." If it's Teutonic or modern Greek, it should be pronounced "ee," as in the "aegis" of Zeus.

As noted in the FAQs (G2), the "official" pronunciation is apparently "ON-ima," though band members have been heard saying, "enema."

Nothing's easy.

well it's not modern neither ancient greek.
i think it's a word game with Ænima and enema(enemy)
keeping in thought the wrath in the song..

anna
01-12-2004, 03:10 PM
maynard wants to "flush it all away". i agree with the above posters that this is why the song is called aenema - he wants to give LA a metaphorical enema. seems pretty straight forward, and consistent with the lyrics of the song.