PDA

View Full Version : COME ON MAN!!!

redlightdistrict
11-16-2003, 07:27 AM
Come on man... Everyone knows the song is about the bass-player - who left!! read the lyrics!!!

Thrakandor
11-16-2003, 07:53 AM
Wasn't he actually involved with recording Eulogy? I'm pretty sure they had that one down before he left. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Mehhico
11-16-2003, 08:06 PM
Hhmmm, thats an interesting look at it. I don't think I have heard of that before, which doesn't say much.

So, let me get this straight, Paul was acting like a martyr for Tool? Did he supposedly leave the band for the greater good of the band? If he had a difference of opinions (which I believe he did, and was the reason for him leaving), I can see how you could get that reasoning.

When you think about it, he could probably see where Tool were going, ie- more of a spiritual outlook (which I think is evident in Ænima, well, some songs anyway), and decided that he didn't want to go that way, and staying with the band would only deny them of the full energy their music deserves.

Now I am going off on a tangent, so why don't you tell me/us how you and "everyone" else came to this absolute definition. I mean, COME ON MAN!!!.

Kind regards,
Andy

p.s. You might want to construct your ideas as just that.........ideas. No-one, especially us consumers, knows for sure what Tools songs are about, and you my friend are no different. Why not take other peoples ideas and see what you get out of them. One road to take a look at is the possibility that the song may relate to the continued cycle of the ego coming up and overpowering our True Selves. This happens to everyone, and the thing which we should do is to crucify these feelings of elitism and all-knowing. They are not constructive and can disturb the relationship between both sides of our brain, and also between other people.

redlightdistrict
11-17-2003, 01:38 AM
Well - in the lyric he says: Will you - would you die for me... Dont you fucking lie.. Dont you step out of line. Dont you fucking lie...

Paul left because he wanted to play more heavy music - more experimental.
Of course the text could be about anything else, but i just think it´s pretty obvious what i read. But maybe you´re right...

Im not ´smacking´ other opinions down...

imtheism
11-17-2003, 11:22 AM
paul left cuz he wanted to play softer/shittier music i thought? Also, I have a live video of them in like 95, playing eulogy with paul on bass. doubt its about him.

redlightdistrict
11-17-2003, 11:08 PM
well that settles is - the song aint about Paul then...

Luna Galapogos
11-17-2003, 11:16 PM
Your first post seems purely based on your personal belief about what the song is about. I say BELIEF on purpose so that you will go and read that interesting little paragraph in the book for Ænima and see what it has to say about beliefs.

Not to say that beliefs are bad, they are natural, but you must be careful with your beliefs.

redlightdistrict
11-18-2003, 02:18 AM
I believe whatever i want?!?

Thrakandor
11-18-2003, 03:01 AM
Not to say that beliefs are bad, they are natural, but you must be careful with your beliefs.
There are two beliefs in that sentence. Better be careful, or Maynard might smell belief on you and eat you in the night.

Although if I believe that then he might eat me as well. Hmm.

The 'believe nothing' line seems to be more of a caution against dogmatising ideas within yourself. I think he's advocating an objective stance, a middle position whereby you can hopefully cast away something when it no longer seems to work. And if Maynard one day says that it's nothing to do with that, then I will be able to set that belief aside. Things like that.