PDA

View Full Version : a story of life perhaps???

Robbie11
11-16-2003, 01:05 AM
ive just listened to the whole album straight, and its got me thinking how much it seems (to me anyway) to be about a sort of journey through life. im only 16 so i might be waaaaay off in my idea but anyways....

the first song grudge seems to be about birth, as in you are still in the womb and your trying to 'clutch this cornerstone' for dear life cos its a safe place to be. it goes on and talks about lifting up like a child/drag you down like a stone, as in your not sure whats really going on. at the end you sortof realise that u sorta have to let go to turn these grudges into gold ie have a full meaning ful life maybe?

eon blue/the patient sounds to me like a young child, 6-8 yrs old youre stuck wanting to become an adult i remember when i was that age i always wanted to grow up so id have freedom be able to drive and all that and youre gonna wait it out so u can get there

schism is defined as a 'division into opposed parties' like youre teenage years perhaps?? breakdowns in communications well yeah i have that problem now with my parents 'cold silens has a tendency to atrophy any sense of compassion' i can relate to that sometimes i feel like i really wish my parents would just shut up and i feel like i dont care about em anymore

ok.. now im out of my lifespan so i dont have personal experience to back it up but it still seems to make sense..

parabol/parabola 20-30 you meet that 'special person' and youre really glad uve stuck it out cos it feels wonderful and you feel eternal and all that and its like a holy experience if u get my drift

ticks and leeces i love this song but anyway i think maybe a divorce or something that special person u felt great with mightve i dont know cheated on u been in it for ure money or something u think there just taking all u have to offer and u want em to choke so theyll leave u alone and u can get on with ure life

lateralus middle age 40-50 maybe youre looking back at missed opportunities and stuff what might have been
Black then white are all I see in my infancy.
red and yellow then came to be, reaching out to me.
seems to be talking about how in the early years everything was right or wrong but then other factors started to come into it as you matured and youre not sure what to do with youre life cos it seems its all going past

disposition youre getting old and you can realise it you feel 'displaced' as in everything that was around in youre early years has changed and youre not sure if youre really meant to be here and you know its going to keep on changing

reflection i think is right near death first line
I have come curiously close to the end
and a bit firther
I may find comfort here
I may find peace within the emptiness
you know death is coming and you wonder if it will be better or worse than youre life you come to see that some of the things you did maybe the divorce or something were done by youre ego and you need to reconcile youreself and realise that maybe you werent always right in the things you did

triad the end is coming u know its near and it could end at any moment like the song its got that sorta repetitive riff and youre never really sure if it ends on this bar or the next

faaipe de oiad well yes i know its something they got off the radio or something like that but yeah the song sorta builds up that tension and right at the end cuts completely out just like death i guess

well there u go thats what i think of the album i might be completely off but hey i think this band definately are more about 'what does it mean to you' than 'what does it mean'
ok well thats my 2c great website cant wait for the next album
(i hope there is another)
cya

scummonk
09-23-2004, 02:45 AM
Thats an interesting look at it, and you can probably fit it to life.
I don't think it means that, but it means something different to everyone.
Cool man,

exojjl
09-27-2004, 11:02 PM
ive just listened to the whole album straight, and its got me thinking how much it seems (to me anyway) to be about a sort of journey through life. im only 16 so i might be waaaaay off in my idea but anyways....

the first song grudge seems to be about birth, as in you are still in the womb and your trying to 'clutch this cornerstone' for dear life cos its a safe place to be. it goes on and talks about lifting up like a child/drag you down like a stone, as in your not sure whats really going on. at the end you sortof realise that u sorta have to let go to turn these grudges into gold ie have a full meaning ful life maybe?

eon blue/the patient sounds to me like a young child, 6-8 yrs old youre stuck wanting to become an adult i remember when i was that age i always wanted to grow up so id have freedom be able to drive and all that and youre gonna wait it out so u can get there

schism is defined as a 'division into opposed parties' like youre teenage years perhaps?? breakdowns in communications well yeah i have that problem now with my parents 'cold silens has a tendency to atrophy any sense of compassion' i can relate to that sometimes i feel like i really wish my parents would just shut up and i feel like i dont care about em anymore

ok.. now im out of my lifespan so i dont have personal experience to back it up but it still seems to make sense..

parabol/parabola 20-30 you meet that 'special person' and youre really glad uve stuck it out cos it feels wonderful and you feel eternal and all that and its like a holy experience if u get my drift

ticks and leeces i love this song but anyway i think maybe a divorce or something that special person u felt great with mightve i dont know cheated on u been in it for ure money or something u think there just taking all u have to offer and u want em to choke so theyll leave u alone and u can get on with ure life

lateralus middle age 40-50 maybe youre looking back at missed opportunities and stuff what might have been
Black then white are all I see in my infancy.
red and yellow then came to be, reaching out to me.
seems to be talking about how in the early years everything was right or wrong but then other factors started to come into it as you matured and youre not sure what to do with youre life cos it seems its all going past

disposition youre getting old and you can realise it you feel 'displaced' as in everything that was around in youre early years has changed and youre not sure if youre really meant to be here and you know its going to keep on changing

reflection i think is right near death first line
I have come curiously close to the end
and a bit firther
I may find comfort here
I may find peace within the emptiness
you know death is coming and you wonder if it will be better or worse than youre life you come to see that some of the things you did maybe the divorce or something were done by youre ego and you need to reconcile youreself and realise that maybe you werent always right in the things you did

triad the end is coming u know its near and it could end at any moment like the song its got that sorta repetitive riff and youre never really sure if it ends on this bar or the next

faaipe de oiad well yes i know its something they got off the radio or something like that but yeah the song sorta builds up that tension and right at the end cuts completely out just like death i guess

well there u go thats what i think of the album i might be completely off but hey i think this band definately are more about 'what does it mean to you' than 'what does it mean'
ok well thats my 2c great website cant wait for the next album
(i hope there is another)
cya

Hey. thats very interesting you thought about that. I came up with a similar idea about a month back and didnt post much about it.
Thats cool doood, and what i think about it is that depending on how you look at it, or under a different light (qoute), that it could mean whatever you see, or feel, or hear, dream, and sense.

Another interpretation i came up with is that the album is on a large scale, about these three things: Communication, inspiration, change.

The direction is heading this way, (9)Lateral in this certain way

Taking action, motivation, the (10)Disposition.
The ability, or will to change, (11)Reflection
(12)To have good communication, to be successful.

I was just thinking about a new tool album.
I was thinking about lateralus.
As it is, and what it is.
That something they do in the future could be a dream outside of a dream, or a surreal vision or trip.

TheHolyGift
10-12-2004, 07:58 AM
It's a good theory and it makes a lot of sense, but it needs to be explained a bit more in depth. And you need to not say 'u' or 'ur' in my presence.

exojjl
10-30-2004, 12:00 AM
It's a good theory and it makes a lot of sense, but it needs to be explained a bit more in depth. And you need to not say 'u' or 'ur' in my presence.
sorry, its my bad internet spelling habits.

TheHolyGift
10-31-2004, 09:48 AM
actually, I was talking about Robbie11.

Lateral Us
11-02-2004, 11:32 PM
That is your opinion and i respect, but it is far from the truth in my opinion. Look at one of my posts:

http://toolshed.down.net/opinion/forum/showthread.php?t=23062

I dont know how you can say they created the visual art, which is WITHOUT A DOUBT extremely spiritual and philosophical, and then the meaning of the lyrics has nothing to do with it, look at this album as ONE piece of art, dont just analyse the lyrics without looking into the artwork. Have a look at Danny's website, full of Occult information, he has a fascination with Crowley, he plays on stage with a Enochian Talisman (Symbol) behind him, he sets his kit up utilizing the circle and square of the New Jerusalem, Look at the news posts on the Tool site (usually contain occult, paranormal, spiritual articles etc etc), look at Alex Grey's artwork and the meanings behind them (he created the Tool artwork btw, for those few who might not know), Tool and Alex Grey have done spiritual Rituals together and there are photos of it below, see what i mean, i just dont understand why some people still cant see these baltantly obvious connections. sorry if i sound like im bashing your post and lashing out at you and people who dont agree with me, i didnt mean to give that impression, so take this as my opinion, but take it with an open mind aswell.

Ritual:
http://alexgrey.net/2l/20.html