PDA

View Full Version : Re-birth

YURAKAPTIV
12-14-2002, 09:39 AM
I think this song is about the moment that we enter into our next body.the line,we barely remember who or what came before this precious moment,he's speaking on how so many of us never realize that we have lived many lives,we think of death as the end,instead of a begining.I've read about some studies this psychologist(sorry can't remember his name) did where he interviewed children as soon as they could talk,and found they could remember there past lives simply because they haven't been tainted by all this pain and tourment we face in this capatalist,materialistic society.We worry so much about these materials that we covet so,that we forget about the important stuff,like finding who we really are and where we're headed.When I tried to look up Parabol I couldn't find a definition,but it did refer me to Parabola and Parable.The word parabola is some sorta joining of two lines(don't know anything about geomotry),the meaning for parable was a simple story illustrating a moral or religous lesson.The main focal point in the Buddhist religion is reincarnation.So,Parabol is the story or lesson and Parabola is the actual joining of the spirit and body.I think this is also why the song kicks in so hard,its representing the moment of impact when we enter the body.Have any of you got Alex Greys, Transfigurations,if not you should,it has alot to do with this album and may give you a new outlook on life,and death.It has a 9 or 10 page layout of the conception of life and the varios stages of the soul forming inside the womb.Its possible this peice of art is partly responsible for these songs,since Tools so much into Alex Greys art.YURAKAPTIV

animantra
01-08-2003, 10:09 PM
Having read Transfigurations, I can definatley say that a new light has been shed on Parabola for me. However, I don't think it really has too much to do with rebirth so much as appreciating the life you've been given. Alex Grey's section on mysticism really puts this song into perspective and i highly recommend it to all tool fans.