PDA

View Full Version : save me so i dont have to save myself

Malaclypse
10-13-2014, 06:56 PM
put simply, i think its about people who don't want the responsibility of taking care of themselves. about the futility of preaching. preaching gets you nowhere. people only hear what they want to hear despite what you mean. and if or when it comes down to it, no one else will willingly take your punishment/pain for you. "You've claimed all this time that you would die for me. Why then are you so surprised to hear your own eulogy?"

essentially, take responsibility and control of your own life. save yourself because no one else can do it for you. no matter how hard any martyr tries, it's always in vain.

Malaclypse
11-10-2014, 12:25 PM
update: just read that the mumbled lyrics at 4:34 might be;

"You / could be / the one / to save / me from / my own / existence."

- basically sums up my interpretation in one line.

Jenadara
02-01-2015, 10:06 PM
I agree with that interpretation. But to be more specific about the second lyric you quoted, it could have something to do with dying for your country in the military - the whole government nanny-state, and their favorite theme of everyone being sheeple.

ReverendMaynard
05-23-2015, 11:16 PM
Fairly certain we're referring to Christ and those who proselytize him when we look at that line.

Malaclypse
05-24-2015, 12:08 AM
Fairly certain we're referring to Christ and those who proselytize him when we look at that line.

first or second line quoted?
Christ is actually the first guy that comes to mind when i hear this song, but i can't help but think that it'd be too limited for Tool to sing about just one character or type of personality, so i figure it's gotta be about the concept/essence behind it instead.

or were you replying to Jenadara?

ReverendMaynard
05-24-2015, 07:55 PM
first or second line quoted?
Christ is actually the first guy that comes to mind when i hear this song, but i can't help but think that it'd be too limited for Tool to sing about just one character or type of personality, so i figure it's gotta be about the concept/essence behind it instead.

or were you replying to Jenadara?

Jendara.

lotus.
05-24-2015, 08:04 PM
Jendara? (http://www.moviexclusive.com/Files/800JDR_Poster_FINAL.jpg)

Malaclypse
02-24-2016, 10:23 AM
was listening to this again today and thought, what if he's writing about his own eulogy? about how he predicts it would appear to himself if he could attend his own eulogy.