PDA

View Full Version : Different point of view

Mslash68
11-11-2003, 06:21 PM
I have been thinking about this album lately. I just listened to it after a long break. The whole album feels like the process of the band trying to get back together after their struggles.
This is just my opinion:
The grudge
The band as a whole and their control of the music, and their struggles with the record companies; ie.. the lawsuit.
Their need to keep in complete control artistically for the sake of the music and how they have to struggle with the record company to maintain this, for to lose this is to lose everything that is the band.
How if you stick by your guns and don't cave in, the end product will be better than you can imagine.

The patient
This song seems to me to be about the bands feeling about being in the band, and how they went thru the lawsuit, and had to try and get back together. How if there was no reward in the music; from the other members and the fans they would have quit already. How they struggled to get back together and deal with their side issues and still be able to come together for this band as the end definately justifies the means.

Schism
The building back of the bonds of the band members. How they were huge friends, but the time and circumstances drove them apart. The lawsuit, the side projects, their families.
The struggle to come back together as a band and friends, to be able to fight during the madness and still be able to be brothers. Or any relationship for that matter.

Parabol/a
Seems to be like a new beginning, the birth from the womb. How the process of this album
was like starting over, except knowing how to do everything, Were as before they were stumbling in the dark. How creating this music was something special to cherish and be amaed at its beauty. How the pain of the process/past disappears when looking at the end results.

ticks and leeches
how the everyone tries to use the band for their own ends. The suits, the press, the fans.
This seems to take shots at everyone. How the band put so much of themselves into the music, and they feel less than appreciated sometimes,

Lateralus
the learning process of music, the more you learn, the more you find out about yourself and the music, and are able to create something more from the growing. Trying to create more than the past, push the boundaries of their music, how the fans need to also grow and learn from this different music, to just relax and let the music take you on a journey.

Disposition
I already know about the music, i created it. I do get bored with the same old questions.
Talk to me about something I haven't already mentioned. Something you think I don't already know. I will become less standoffish, more personable.

Reflection
This music that we create, though ours, is still but a filter for everything we have already heard, in that it is not as original as we may think. So we need to keep in mind that we are not all that great, just a part of the whole. wake up and realize we are all together
here, and without the fans, there would be no music, without the past musicians we would not have created this. don't get a big head. Don't forget this, or this may be the end.
or
We are a voice of a higher presence, remember we are just the conduit, not the creater, we need to keep that in mind. We must continue on to share our gift being a light for others to see, and be reborn togther.