PDA

View Full Version : Marx and more

RussianRoot
03-03-2014, 05:43 PM
i think its pretty well know that this song is a play on Marx's quote "religion is the opium of the masses".. i honestly havent spent my time reading much Marx. so, im here to post my interpretation as well.

"Choices always were a problem for you.
What you need is someone strong to guide you.
Deaf and blind and dumb and born to follow,
what you need is someone strong to use you...
like me,
like me."

pretty self-explanatory (with the satirical context in mind). though, something interesting i noticed - the Quran (book of islam) uses "deaf, dumb, and blind" in several occasions:

- "And the parable of those who disbelieve is as the parable of one who calls out to that which hears no more than a call and a cry; Deaf, dumb (and) blind, so they do not understand."

- "Deaf, dumb (and) blind, so they will not turn back."

- "And they who reject Our communications are Deaf and dumb, in utter darkness; whom Allah pleases He causes to err and whom He pleases He puts on the right way."

- "Surely the vilest of animals, in Allah's sight, are the Deaf, the dumb, who do not understand."

back to the song:

"If you want to get your soul to heaven,
trust in me.
Don't judge or question.
You are broken now,
but faith can heal you.
Just do everything I tell you to do.
Deaf and blind and dumb and born to follow.
Let me lay my holy hand upon you."

similar to those excerpts of the Quran i posted above, dont you think??

"Jesus Christ, why don't you come save my life.
Open my eyes and blind me with your light
and your lies."

why doesnt jesus christ come save me? or how about the cliche, why doesnt god save the starving kids in africa?

"My God's will
becomes me.
When he speaks out,
he speaks through me.
He has needs
like I do.
We both want
to rape you."

with this part, i cant help but think of those priests who molested those children.. but i feel that by "rape," maynard doesnt mean sexually.. but that the religious authority in question just wants to steal your innocence in any way, shape, or form.. "convert" you without your consent.. instill fear in you by saying "youre a sinner!" in the hopes that youll devote your life to be a martyr for THEIR cause, and not your own cause.. or make wild claims or displays in the hope that youll eventually believe one of them or be dumbfounded by them and convert to follow their lies.. - and of course, all of this "without question"..