PDA

View Full Version : this song did not leave me unchanged

lifeless·satellite
01-18-2013, 09:40 PM
I'm 16, pretty young, and I've only been listening to Tool for a few years now. So I know being my age I change a lot mentally. But I grew up in my early years with my mom, who didn't spend a whole lot of time teaching me. Then I spent my late kid years with my dad, who had to put up with my shit. I was a manipulative little brat, a little hypocrite and not fully conscious of my actions towards others. Never cared how other people felt. It wasn't until I was about.eleven that I realized there was so much more to everything than just myself. There wasn't really a single click, I just slowly faded into another, more conscious state. I mean I know I'm only 16 and the only drug I regularly do is pot (do you 'do' pot?) so I don't really know much about being a person as adults do. But hearing this song, feeling it and letting it inspire me to fix the awful parts of my young psyche, I mean fuck man. Now that I'm kinda the way I am I'm learning so much from my dad, whom I have the strongest love connection with. (Is that real thing or did I make it up?)

Point being, I know I have so much to go through, and I know where to put my opinions and leave others alone, I know who I am and I think I know who I'm going to be someday. So yeah, I guess this song is really special to me and its cool to think it is to all you people. Hm. Thanks for listening to my tiny, tiny life story lol

03-19-2013, 03:48 PM
Hey, for a 16 year old being that influenced by a Tool song, that's pretty cool man. I started listening to the band when I was 15 or so (21 now) and over the years they have definitely influenced my direction in life and music. I eventually became such a nerd that I had to find out the meanings behind every song (still haven't discovered them all but I've formulated opinions on several now) just so that I could possibly better understand myself for being so drawn to their music. I also read up alot on the band and I couldn't help but be inspired by them for many reasons. Their music has helped me overcome alot of shit in my life and Maynards words on this album in particular are so inspiring! Lot's of good messages to be taken away here. Even when you don't know what he's really talking about it's just amazing to hear and illustrate your own personal meaning.

princesschaos
03-30-2013, 12:59 PM
Well I am glad to see that maynard's lyrics can inspire so many people regardless of age or level of understanding. His lyrics have always provoked me to reevaluate things and also made me feel like someone else could understand me. Never stop questioning things and always search for love and truth.
-

EyesWideOpen
10-31-2013, 11:35 AM
I totally agree with you OP. I'm 17 now. Started listening to Tool when I was 16. My life has changed direction ever since. In a truly positive way.

My mind has been opened to other realities, other things in life that I would normally overlook leave me in awe. I wish words could describe what Tool has changed inside me.