PDA

View Full Version : The Patient

JustJames
01-16-2013, 07:24 PM
This is my first post. I've been coming to this website since probably 2001 and have really enjoyed readying every ones comments. I am going to make this pretty short as I'm sure this has been posted a millions times.

I think this song, "The Patient" is simply Maynard speaking to the band about his frustrations with them. If you remember Lateralus came out a year after Mer de norms and I remember watching and interview with Maynard were he mentioned that the other band members were either jealous of APC or just not happy that he wasn't around to write lyrics, etc. Don't remember the exact quote but that's what I got from it.

I'm not going to go through each stanza and explain, but if you have that thought in your mind the lyrics are pretty self explanatory. At least to me they are.

Cheers- JustJames

hellboy1975
01-16-2013, 10:20 PM
If you remember Lateralus came out a year after Mer de norms and I remember watching and interview with Maynard were he mentioned that the other band members were either jealous of APC or just not happy that he wasn't around to write lyrics, etc. Don't remember the exact quote but that's what I got from it.

I don't remember anything like that being said at all, but would be interested in reading it if true.

JustJames
03-31-2013, 07:43 AM
Yea, I was trying to find an interview that I remember seeing with him. I failed, however I can't help but to think that the band wouldn't feel jealous and or annoyed by his wanting to do other projects. Even with the album name Lateralus. I know it's ambiguous as hell, but Maynard doing a "side" project could have something to do with title. And maybe he felt he needed to do APC in order to move forward with TooL as a way of exploring his feminine side. I started listening to TooL right aroudn 2002 or so, so I'm not as OG as most of the people on here. But, I will say that I have thought about the lyrics more so than any of their other albums for over a decade now. I also feel like many of the songs are just part of Maynard and the band dealing with the lack of communicaton (Schism), Grudges(duh), Parabola (to me that is Maynard explaining in the only way he can what it feels like to be on stage and one with all that is....Most likely way off, but this was just a thought i had a month ago or so and figured I would share it...Cheers!

miss.ari
04-20-2013, 04:05 PM
I remember a few interviews maynard did when apc released mer de noms. It was a long time ago but I didnt interpret him as having any "frustrations" or hostility... well none more than the usual lol. He seemed content.. I remember him saying something like tool being his left brain and apc being the right.. coexisting to form A Perfect Circle. Interesting though. We'll never know :)
That's why they're amazing, right?