PDA

View Full Version : Is picking behind the bridge bad for strings?

holy reality
11-08-2003, 03:10 PM
This is the second time I've broken a string while picking behind the bridge... first time was the b string, now this time the e string broke....

Now my strings had been like a month or so old each time this has happened and such, so maybe it's just bad for old strings.... but still....

is this normal to be breaking strings regularly when picking behind the bridge?????

Also... all of a sudden my low E started buzzing like mega crazy at the nut, just all of a sudden, one second it sounded great, the next second, horrible buzzing.... is something wrong with it? Or would new strings remedy this? I do have a replacement nut but I'm not sure how to put it in yet.... and I'm not sure if I need it, but if this keeps up when I put new strings on I'm going to be concerned.....

Also, listen to my lateralus clip I just made, I got the tone ALMOST perfect.......... god... it sounds so damn good....
www.angelfire.com/hiphop3/holyreality/goodlat.mp3

It's weird that I'm playing it at such a low volume, I can't try it loud but I hope those settings sound even better loud, all I know is they sound terrific at low volume.

also just thought I'd let you know I've found the heavy part sounds best if you start with an up pick, rather than down...

Matteran
11-08-2003, 06:00 PM
I play an acoustic guitar, so i'm not so sure about the behind the bridge thing. But I'm pretty sure that the buzzing on the low E string is happening because you have two broken strings (or at least one, from the sound of it), and without the tension from the strings that are broken your neck isn't being forced to bend enough to get the right action. So, if you replace your broken strings then the buzzing should go away. I hope that made sense.

holy reality
11-08-2003, 07:09 PM
I play an acoustic guitar, so i'm not so sure about the behind the bridge thing. But I'm pretty sure that the buzzing on the low E string is happening because you have two broken strings (or at least one, from the sound of it), and without the tension from the strings that are broken your neck isn't being forced to bend enough to get the right action. So, if you replace your broken strings then the buzzing should go away. I hope that made sense.
ahh

yes it does make sense.....

it isn't bad to leave it with a broken string for a day or two is it? I'll probably get some new strings tomorrow or something.

Matteran
11-09-2003, 07:42 PM
no it's perfectly fine. Once you get the new strings the neck will bend again, and you're action will be just like it was.