PDA

View Full Version : C.S. Lewis

dan
11-07-2003, 10:20 AM
The Space Trilogy by C.S. Lewis -- read it, and understand The Grudge.

kthnx.

crow011
11-08-2003, 05:40 AM
wow, thanks for your insightful words of wisdom that you drop down onto us commoners . . .

"further ways for the average tool fan to appreciate their favourite band by doing what people-in-the-know want you to do" . . .

why didnt you just get people to read that before? . . . if you knew it might help the average tool fan with understanding one of their favourite songs more, why didnt you drop this pearl of wisdom earlier? . . .

i hate pretentious shit like this . . .

peace and blessed be . . .

crow011 . . .

RRed
11-08-2003, 07:36 PM

mmm. Ironic...well probably not. Hate to peace and blessed be.....

thats funny

crow011
11-09-2003, 02:41 PM
indeed . . .

crow011 . . .

neochrist
11-09-2003, 05:06 PM
why would i read it, when i can just hook my brain up to the matrix and learn it within seconds.

crow011
11-09-2003, 05:49 PM
you could try eating it, instead . . .

you know, consume knowledge . . .

crow011 . . .

neochrist
11-26-2003, 10:29 AM
actually the grudge is somewhat based on the book of enoch, which there are direct references from the book in the song...so its not entirely about your space trilogy..anyways im out, beam me up scotty.

radmanics
11-26-2003, 10:45 AM
wow, thanks for your insightful words of wisdom that you drop down onto us commoners . . .

"further ways for the average tool fan to appreciate their favourite band by doing what people-in-the-know want you to do" . . .

why didnt you just get people to read that before? . . . if you knew it might help the average tool fan with understanding one of their favourite songs more, why didnt you drop this pearl of wisdom earlier? . . .

crow011 . . .

Maybe he hadn't read it until then... use your logical thought properly. You can have an attitude problems at time.

Windir
11-26-2003, 10:52 AM
I think I won't read it, cause I want my own vision on Tool songs.
That's why they are my favorite band, they keep things a secret, which is cool!

crow011
11-28-2003, 04:51 AM
Maybe he hadn't read it until then... use your logical thought properly. You can have an attitude problems at time.

im sorry* . . .

crow011 . . .

paraflux
12-16-2003, 10:02 AM
Crow, you just for some reason hate mods. Dan could have come up here and said "Crow has the biggest cock of all because my girlfriend told me" and you would argue with him.

toocooltool
07-25-2006, 02:06 PM
lol.

ManicMuppets
02-13-2008, 04:17 AM
I heard the songs disposition, reflection, and triad were loosely based on a cs lewis story, although this is the only meantion of cs lewis i found.

A Tad Bit Catatonic
02-20-2008, 03:49 PM
I think I won't read it, cause I want my own vision on Tool songs.
That's why they are my favorite band, they keep things a secret, which is cool!

Beautiful... as that is the true and intended meaning of "art", anyway.

Did he read the Chronicles of Narnia with it? (great books be they may, but in literary circles they are not taken THAT seriously) haha...

Read Twain, Joyce, and Bill and then you will understand EVERYTHING! ;)

That is actually pretty blatantly pretensious Paraflux (it was the "kthxbye"). I usually agree with you on everything.
Sometimes pretensiousness calls for pretensiousness.

I may read it, but it's not high on my list.

Orbit
02-22-2008, 04:26 PM
Screwtape letters is also very interesting.

ChaseNine
08-03-2009, 01:26 PM
why would i read it, when i can just hook my brain up to the matrix and learn it within seconds.

FUCK YEAH!

emmitsvenson
06-24-2010, 08:42 AM
The Space Trilogy by C.S. Lewis -- read it, and understand The Grudge.

The original poster’s drive-by comment was probably inspired by Lewis’s references to Saturn in his book That Hideous Strength, the third book of his Space Trilogy.

Lewis includes the Greco-Roman gods Mars and Venus in the first two novels of the trilogy, though he calls them Oyéresu (singular Oyarsa) and implies that the pagans who first encountered them mistook them for gods, though they are actually the most powerful members of a race of noncorporeal extraterrestrials called eldila (singular eldil)--basically, angels.

In the third book, Mars and Venus are joined on earth by Mercury, Saturn and Jupiter--incredibly powerful beings who are working to save humanity from the deranged eldil who inhabits earth. Lewis has done his homework, so his description of Saturn fits with classical myth, astrology and the tree of life. And since Maynard has also done his homework, the Saturn in The Grudge fits very well with the Saturn in That Hideous Strength.

There might be some direct connection between the two. I imagine Maynard has read some of Lewis’s work. But I doubt he read That Hideous Strength and thought to himself, “Whoah! This gives me an idea for a song!”

slamminsalmon
06-24-2010, 12:02 PM
ive always linked "saturn ascends" to your saturn return. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_return) more new agey (http://www.newage-directory.com/saturn.html) stuff on it too.

cosmex
06-24-2010, 11:00 PM
To me The Grudge is talking about forgiveness and the dangers of not doing. We must forgive, love, and help each other or what the hell is the point of existing. I think that most of Tools lyrics are pretty straight forward, and if you can't listen to Tool and feel something for humanity, then you miss the whole point.

The Green Mule
07-15-2016, 03:15 AM
I have read The Scarlett Letter, it is also good for understanding The Grudge. Especially the lines -

"Wear the grudge like a crown. Desperate to control.
Unable to forgive. And we're sinking deeper.

Defining, confining, controlling, and we're sinking deeper"

The Green Mule
07-16-2016, 11:34 PM
Where he says your Scarlett letter man. It really unveils the damage one can do follow having had wrong done against them. Touche though. The song really paints the picture itself, but Nathaniel reaches greater