PDA

View Full Version : my opinion

zaum
11-19-2002, 12:28 PM
It seems the person referred to, has time and time again ignored the warnings to stop something that will ultimatly destroy themself. Everyone around him can see it, yet he can't or denies it. So, the song is in a way saying "I warned you, but now you get what you deserve". It really sounds more like frustration than hatred.

Also, this song is a perfect intro into the next song, Undertow. Swamp Song deals with the outsider looking into this life being sucked into something such as drugs. Undertow is that person realizing what he's gotten into but it may be too late.

-zaum

grtrthnone
11-19-2002, 01:03 PM
i agree and disagree disagree because i dont see tool using drugs as an example from the many songs that either blatantly state "i think drugs do good things for people" - Bill Hicks - Aenima as well as other references or allusions to drug experiences or even with the use of timothy leary quotes, as well as the overall stance of the band about opening your self up to knew experiences and dont let us forget about prying open our third eye : )

zaum
11-19-2002, 03:33 PM
I was using drugs as an example, it could be a lot of things. But also, I don't think it is saying if drugs are 'good or bad' just that some people can't handle it, and become entangled in it.

Norfleet
11-21-2002, 11:12 AM
Whoa, I just thought of something. Ok, like you said about Swamp Song being a good intro to the next song Undertow. You know how swamps are generally made out to be pretty calm and serene places, yet very dark and murky. I say "made out to be" because I personally have never been to a swamp and do not see myself visiting one in the near future. So anyways, then of course, the undertow, the riptide, the thing that drags you out from shore and nearly kills you...

So putting the two together, Swamp Song is someone taking the first steps into something, like you said maybe drugs, but maybe just some general addiction, but the calmness and serene-ness is really just a facade, then the Undertow rips them away from any sight of shore (getting out of the addiction)

I realized midway through writing this that I was basically just reaffirming what you said about the two songs maybe going together. I think it's neat how the message we take from it, whether it's the intended message or not, can somehow fit into the whole water theme for the album (swamp song, undertow, flood, the motorboat/drowning person sound at the beginning of intolerance...)

zaum
12-01-2002, 05:27 PM
I like the idea of the swamp being a fascade of harmlessness, but you soon find out it's thickand easy to get lost in.