PDA

View Full Version : Symbols in the song

Nivool
12-13-2002, 04:21 AM
Well, I've thinking these days about this song, and it seems to me that most of the interpretations I've read in this forum are partly true.
However, I'd like just to make a few comments, and let's begin by refering to the snake: in lot of cultures the snake has been a symbol of what's cyclical...in fact, there is an ancient greek symbol, used in treaties about alchemy (III - IV B.C.) that consits of a snake eating its own tail...a kind of perfect circle, where the end is also the (new) beginning.The symbol's name is OUROBOROS, and tries to represent the different process that al matter undergoes, the change from something impure to a new state of purity undergoing a kind of alchemic process. this could be related with what someone said, that the song makes reference to Heroin...how a substance can make you change your present state.
Also, we should take into account that the sense of repetition is present all along the song: "..coming over like a storm again...", "...all the times I've died...", and so on, so the cyclical aspect is clear.
And that leads us to the question of love relations. In some way, they also move in cycles: one of the two tries to capture the essence of the other, ant then the other way around, with no end, as you never can make the other completely your own.
Maynard also mentions the storm, which could also be seen as a symbol of change ( literature is full of examples, probably King Lear is the most obvious), a situation of uncertanty where some forces struggle just to reach again to the same point, the calm ( before and after ) the storm.
Well, this is all I wanted to say. My apologies to all of you; I'm aware of the fact that my written english is quite bad, but I'm trying to improve it.