PDA

View Full Version : The magic words...

Cylith
11-04-2003, 07:13 PM
Keep in mind this is just an opinion...so don't get mad at me and call me an idiot for posting this (input would be nice though).

I think the magic words part of the song is funny...it makes me smile...but it wasn't until I started reading this on this forum that I realized that maybe there is a meaning to the "magic words.”

It seems to me that Maynard is making fun of drugs by putting ridiculous sounding magic words into a recipe for drug-cookies (or whatever it makes).

Keep in mind that I don't do drugs, and consider myself to be against drugs, so that's affecting my opinion considerably.

(Man, I sure like to write "Keep in mind...")

Pyrophoric_yeti
11-14-2003, 04:26 PM
The magic words are funny, i was listening to it and i thought to myself yes this is in german but hes saying lots of numbers and measurements, then i was like hang on what the hell was that? that wasnt german and this motivated me to go and find the words.

But i think they sounds sinister and thus heightening the joke i mean think about it how fun would it be to sing about making a cake in german and sounding all satanic then just making noise into the mic and hearing people cheer?

I don't know what he meant by them but im pretty damn sure he had fun doing it.

Essex
11-17-2003, 01:14 PM
This song is a set of instructions for making cookies with hash and no eggs. In fact the last thing that is said in the song is "And No Eggs." I think the magic words are just meant as a joke and something fun. Hell, if you're making hash cookies you are probably high already. I feel that the overall meaning in this story is about ignorance and context. It sounds like a bunch of nazis. When in fact, it's just a cookie recipie. One could easily snap to a bad judgement because they didn't have all of the facts.

As far as the drugs go, I don't think that the band is making fun of drugs. The track on Aenima with the stand up comedian, I think his name is Bill Hicks, would seem to be in direct contradiction with this. I would also like to say don't knock drugs if you've never tried them. Though you never said that you haven't tried any drugs before. But if you do try drugs, I suggest a bowl of good weed. Preferably nugs, and then throw in Lateralus and listen to Dissposition, Reflections, and Triad. Those have always been some of my favorite high songs.

Cylith
11-18-2003, 12:04 PM
I feel that the overall meaning in this story is about ignorance and context.
This sounds good to me. It's a least on the right track, in my opinion.

I would also like to say don't knock drugs if you've never tried them. Though you never said that you haven't tried any drugs before. But if you do try drugs, I suggest a bowl of good weed. Preferably nugs, and then throw in Lateralus and listen to Dissposition, Reflections, and Triad. Those have always been some of my favorite high songs.
I have indeed never tried drugs, and I don't intend to. I think they're bad for you, and the fact that some people, few as they may be, become reliant on drugs.

I've heard enough facts about drugs (though I'm not saying every bad thing you hear about drugs is true...but much of it is) to be able to form a valid opinion on them. I'll "knock" drugs if I want to, lol.

Essex
12-02-2003, 10:04 AM
This sounds good to me. It's a least on the right track, in my opinion.

I have indeed never tried drugs, and I don't intend to. I think they're bad for you, and the fact that some people, few as they may be, become reliant on drugs.

I've heard enough facts about drugs (though I'm not saying every bad thing you hear about drugs is true...but much of it is) to be able to form a valid opinion on them. I'll "knock" drugs if I want to, lol.

Well if you don't intend to ever try any drugs, that's your choice. I will also admit that drugs can be bad for you, and yes some people become reliant on them, which is a major bummer. I personally am of the mind however that trying most things once is a good thing. Notice I say most. I wouldn't touch cocaine or heroin with a ten foot pole. I pretty much only use weed, shrooms, opium, and hash, and that's occassionally. If you do any drug to often then it isn't a luxury. That takes all of the fun out of it. But whatever, do what you like and what feels right.

neochrist
12-02-2003, 10:31 AM
ive tried a lot of drugs and im doing very well, im in school, i have a nice place with two of my friends, and a good job.

Urei
12-13-2003, 01:02 AM
do the magic words sound familiar to anyone else?

AllforUnity
12-15-2003, 12:53 PM
Just because you're fine now because you do drugs, doesn't mean it won't effect you in the long run.

Cylith
12-15-2003, 10:20 PM

Only a little bit...and I think it's just because I've heard the song a bunch of times.

salival_sty
12-29-2003, 02:47 PM

http://www.magicgallery.com/images/thurdantepanel.jpg

Well, in this connection, they're certainly familiar as magic words. A magician who called himself Dante (real name=Harry Jansen) popularized "sim sala bim" as a magical catch-phrase (a sort of "abracadabra" type of thing. He even went as far as to call his show the Sim Sala Bim review. (The link above is just to a famous poster that I think some member of Tool might have thought cool at some point and might have had some bearing on the choice of magic words in the song.)

Supposedly, Dante got the magic phrase from a Danish fairy tale. (He was born in Denmark.) I can't remember if I ever found/looked for that fairy tale, but I sure don't know what it is now. Maybe the entire phrase appears in said fairy tale?

At any rate, the "magic word" use caught on. It was Hadj's favorite phrase on Jonny Quest, and I've heard it used in all sorts of crappy magic shows and crappy plays. It also seems hugely popular in European techno music right now, but the might be the Tool-effect.

I'm going hunting Danish fairy tales, may have more later. In the meantime, enjoy the poster above, and what the hell, learn a bit more about Dante below.

http://www.magictricks.com/library/programs/progdant.htm