Stinkfist
Sober
Pushit
Schism
Intension
Forty Six & 2
Lateralus
Ænema

Reviews only. No links to bootlegs (http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=123969).

wes
02-04-2012, 08:44 PM
Kick ass show. Maynard and the whole band were spot on tonight. No pot and no signed posters however scored a unsigned poster for 30 . These guys are having fun. Justin was sticking his toungue out at Maynard and Danny during schism. Maynard is sounding strong vocaly. Great visuals. Maynard a little talkative Said tomorrow is Superbowl Sunday how many for new England how many for new york how many could give a fuck less me I. Could care less since the packers are out., Till Atlanta Spiral out.

wes
02-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Sorry about the doublpost guys also Maynard pointed at every section before he fived Danny and left.

sukumade
02-04-2012, 09:58 PM
Great show - was second row right in front of Justin. He was sticking his tongue out and making faces the whole time; it was great!

The light effects were amazing and the audio was much better than the last time they came through Charlotte.

They played a lot of their older songs which I personally prefer. Danny was a beast as usual and everyone was spot-on with everything.

I've been to 5 Tool concerts and this one was my favorite so far.

ShadowDemon420
02-04-2012, 10:11 PM
Great show 3rd time seeing them pushit is not the slow version if you know what I mean awesome sound and great lights had a blast and got cool shirt for 40$ awesome show had a really good time man the lights was so cool but yeah I had a lot of fun anyways hell yeah..

DAB

NCToolfan
02-04-2012, 10:13 PM
4th show and was really glad to get 4 songs I hadn't heard before (Hooker, Sober, Pushit, Intension). Was bummed about the posters not arriving till after 9, so no signed posters available. Man do these posters smell awful! My entire room reeks already.

I was in section 115 in the back and thought it sounded great in there. Maynard was very audible throughout the show as well. Looked like all of them were really enjoying themselves tonight and I did notice Maynard point to each section of the arena before walking off. Last time in Charlotte somebody put a laser pointer on him early in the show and I don't remember him even turning back around until towards the end of the show.

wes
02-04-2012, 10:59 PM
I know my wife said whats that smell on the way home we finally figured out it was the poster . I got # 327/500 gonna try and get a signed one at the Georgia show. Talked to Paul who is over the Posters and they came in on a plane and did not arrive in time for the band to sign . They had some killer drum heads signed and doodled by Adam for 300-600 bucks . They have some kool ass shirts I liked the one with the fish and the one with alex greys blue head .

wes
02-04-2012, 11:03 PM
Sorry about the doublpost guys also Maynard pointed at every section before he fived Danny and left.

I was workin off my droid razr !!! In the car on the way home .

CeePoa
02-04-2012, 11:30 PM
Setlist:
Hooker With A Penis
Jambi
Stinkfist
Sober
Pushit
Schism
Intension
Forty Six & 2
Lateralus
Ænema
(Or at least I'm pretty sure that was it.)

Tonight was a pretty amazing show. Only my second time seeing them, but I think it definitely was better than in '07 when we saw them in SC. I just got back from the drive and I'm still a little pumped up from the show.
We sat in section 124 up on the balcony. We could see and hear everything perfectly, and the people around us mostly kept to themselves. There weren't too many jerk-off drunk people; at least not around me that is. The band sounded fantastic, though I wish that the vocals could have been a little louder. (I do have a little bit of bad hearing so that could have just been me.) I pretty much already knew what songs to expect because I've been lurking on here, but my husband, who hasn't been reading up on the shows, was excited about the setlist. He really loved Pushit, and I was excited about Stinkfist. Maynard wasn't too terribly talkative. He said a few things near the end, but I think it was obvious that they all were having fun. The visuals were WOW. Just WOW. I don't know how many people noticed the things going on in the back of the coliseum, but it was striking. I especially loved the lasers, very cool.
We both ended up getting a shirt a piece. I would have liked to also have bought the hoodie, but I'm on a budget!

Overall, one of the best shows I've seen and the best I've seen from these guys. I didn't get the feeling that it was a farewell tour like some people have. Also, I wasn't a fan of the opening act. I was okay with them until the dude began singing.

(who's Travis(name?) (the guest drummer guy)? Anyone?)

Lotus2thrdeye
02-04-2012, 11:36 PM
Gotta say, best show I have seen these guys play. After reading so many of the reviews on the past few weeks, it would seem that Maynard has hardly been present and he and Adam are acting like 12 year old girls again. From what I saw and heard tonight that is bullshit. Maynard stayed on stage throughout most of the show and was dancing the entire time. He prolonged his screams quite a bit more than what he has done over the past 6 years.
YOB was not my favorite. That poor kid during the drum-off, I felt so bad for him. He was just not able to keep up. Danny even seemed to have slowed down at times just to allow him to keep up. Im beginning to think that your worst fear is getting asked to open for Tool.
The crowd was fantastic. No fighting. Just friendship.
This was by far the best tool show I have been to and probably one of the best on the tour.
(Note that Maynard waved to the crowd for a really long time and then talked to Adam before he left the stage).
Setlist:
HWAP
Jambi
(ions)
Stinkfist
Sober
Pushit
(sexy jam)
Schism
Intention
46&2
Lateralus
(Intermission)
Aenima

Petey Kundalini
02-05-2012, 08:12 AM
The whole band seemed in good spirits this show. Maynard and Justin were joking around quite a bit. Apparently Maynard is a Packers fan.... sigh. Overall, great show. My favorite out of the five I've attended.

benpedro
02-05-2012, 08:15 AM
The whole band seemed in good spirits this show. Maynard and Justin were joking around quite a bit. Apparently Maynard is a Packers fan.... sigh. Overall, great show. My favorite out of the five I've attended.

Maynard is a lions fan.

thesheedspot
02-05-2012, 10:44 AM
damn i thought the posters had sold out by the time i got inside. i know this is probably a long shot, but if anyone had an extra one to sell, id be willing to pay top dollar.

as for the show, i mean what can say. any complaints are just nit picking. maynards vocals were much better and clearer than in 09. danny is danny. justin seemed to having fun, drinking his trademark stellas. i really enjoyed the new twist on the guitar during stinkfist and the new intro jam to schism is great. been wating ten years to hear pushit live and it did not dissapoint. would have preferred ticks to sober, but like i said any complaints is just nit picking. lateralus is still one of the best/ most moving songs you cans see live. the visuals were on fire as always. fingers crossed they come back through the southeast in support of a new album within a year!

Icehound
02-05-2012, 10:54 AM
Hi. Longtime listener; first time attender. Wow. Just Wow. Tool RAWKED!! I was beside the stage in 106 C. Third row bay-bee!! Sound was awesome. Maynard's' voice was awesome. Killer visuals.

Only downer was Sober--just a preference. Would have rather heard Ticks and/or Parabola. Oh well.

Maynard made a point to say that he was a Packers fan. Don't know how true that statement is, but he did sound pissed that the Packers were out of it.

Unfortunately, the posters came late, so no signed posters for Charlotte. However, I was able to score 32/500. WOO HOO!!

davepeele
02-05-2012, 12:59 PM
After reading the forums the past few weeks, I was expecting to be let down with a half-hearted show being mailed in. With this being my 7th show since '98, I was really surprised by the show I got last night! I could detect nothing half-hearted from anyone, especially Maynard, and no rifts between the band. Maynard was the most "up-front without being up-front" that I have seen in a long time! He was very into the show and interactive with the crowd IMO. I thought his voice sounded strong! He hit and held alot of parts that I thought he would skip.

Danny is a beast! Simple amazing! Adam was nearly perfect as always. Justin really puts his all into it! He rocks out the whole time and seems to enjoy the opportunity to play as much as anyone!

Highlight of the night for me was Pushit! My favorite song that I have not heard since my first show in '98 at Ozzfest. Loved the slight additional touches during the chorus' by Adam and Maynard sang the last line, which I have been reading that he has skipped at all the other shows! Great song!

New jam before Schism was badass! Jambi and Lateralus were awesome and flawless! And opening with Hooker made me giggle a bit! ;-)

Last of all, I have to give props to the crowd! No normal NC redneck shit to deal with last night! The crowd was very mellow and in good spirits! Everyone really gave their all in the show and I think the band really appreciated that last night! I think that is the reason we got such a great performance! Maybe Maynard just loves NC! ;-)

Left looking forward to seeing them again. Hope they come around soon to promote the next album. They still got it!

allisoncarey
02-05-2012, 02:06 PM
They were soooo amazing! Ænema is the exact mindset that I have right now, so it was so awesome for me to hear it. Of course, the entire show was just out of this world, as I expected. I was on the floor left in the front row, just in front of Adam. This was only my second show and I had pretty much the same spot when I saw them in Milan, Italy in June of 2006. I may be crazy, but I was kinda hoping it would have been louder in the front row. I had a hard time breathing when I saw them in Milan because it was so loud, but I could feel the music and it was mind-blowing. I can't wait for the new album and to see these guys again! I just can't get enough...

bennytude
02-05-2012, 05:27 PM
My 13th Tool show. Tool is exuding some superior vibrations on this tour. They are mega-awesome even by Tool standards. I've never been to a show at the old coliseum that had this much of a buzz around it. Tons of people were looking of tickets. Great mix of humans at this show. Youngsters, grandparents, 30-somethings, punks, hippies, non-caucasions, metalheads, black-widow spiders, hipsters, bikers, skanks, chain-smoking rednecks(in a smoke-free facility), goths, and some suit-and-tie crowd in their starched t-shirt disguises.
First, don't care for Yob. The vocalist kind of kills it for me. Somewhat predictable, dyed-in-the-wool doom metal. I like Tool's slant on merch these days. More autographed material helps counter all the D-bags trying to make a fortune on ebay.
It astonishes me how Tool's live presentation continues to evolve. My brother put it best; "A new word must be coined because 'trippy' is entirely insufficient to express what these guys do." Their show truly plants one in the epicenter of a kaleidoscopic volcano with all the the tectonic rumblings of their precisely tuned cymbal brass drums and expertly tweaked synth madness. Tool creates visions and sounds combined into experiences that defy language and description.
Now, I will attempt to highlight some moments from the experience. I tried to avoid spoilers before the show, but I saw the post on toolarmy that showed Danny playing HWAP. I never thought this song would come back to us in a live format, but they ruled it! What a way to start the show. Maynard's constantly evolving, brilliant use of multiple mics and multilayer harmony and vocal production is criminally underrated by scads of tool fans who nag about the Nard's treatment of older material. I think it's brilliant that they can alternate between major and minor vocal harmonies and stack clean and distorted vocals in ways that mimic album multitracking. This was in full use for HWAP, Jambi, and particularly Intension. Genius, I say! Furthermore, Adam and Danny's synthesizer prowess(Virus for Adam, Oberheim for Danny) has grown from modest experiments on the opening legs of the Lateralus tour to full-blown alien spaceship landings on recent outings. Justin alternates between the rudder and the anchor of the Tool ship. He can take his sound into the heavens or can offer a titanic two-note underpinning to the jam in Lateralus. The new jam that they previewed seemed to be a Justin based riff(awesome).
Speaking of Lateralus, I thought the jam with drummer from Yob was great. Very unselfish on the part of both drummers. Generally, the guest musician leaves after the improv part of Lateralus, but Tool allowed him to play the rest of the song. That seems to indicate that they dig what he has been adding to the jams.
I could go on and on, but suffice to say Tool's enshrinement in the canon of artistic greatness cannot be questioned and the sun is not setting on what they represent. Their shows are not a memorial to great achievements of the past, but instead a living altar that births new beauty constantly, but often in ways that subtly elude the casual or overly expectant fan. Go see this tour to remind you that Tool is awesome and prepare yourself for a the new Tool album.
Much love and cheers to Tool and to Southern Tool fans who represented quite well last night,

Bennytude

kdo615
02-05-2012, 08:25 PM
They were soooo amazing! Ænema is the exact mindset that I have right now, so it was so awesome for me to hear it. Of course, the entire show was just out of this world, as I expected. I was on the floor left in the front row, just in front of Adam. This was only my second show and I had pretty much the same spot when I saw them in Milan, Italy in June of 2006. I may be crazy, but I was kinda hoping it would have been louder in the front row. I had a hard time breathing when I saw them in Milan because it was so loud, but I could feel the music and it was mind-blowing. I can't wait for the new album and to see these guys again! I just can't get enough...

I think I may have been standing next to you for the first few songs. I was in seat 9. I've never seen them that close before and it was a mind blowing experience. I thought it was pretty loud, but I have middle aged ears. Every time Danny hit the bass (which happened about 10,000 times), it felt like I was having heart palpitations. It was a good feeling.

I notice you have a very familiar last name. Your not related to the world's greatest drummer are you? If you are, ask him when the next album is coming and post it on the board. If not, just lie to us and tell us it will be here in a few months.

allisoncarey
02-05-2012, 09:21 PM
I think I may have been standing next to you for the first few songs. I was in seat 9. I've never seen them that close before and it was a mind blowing experience. I thought it was pretty loud, but I have middle aged ears. Every time Danny hit the bass (which happened about 10,000 times), it felt like I was having heart palpitations. It was a good feeling.

I notice you have a very familiar last name. Your not related to the world's greatest drummer are you? If you are, ask him when the next album is coming and post it on the board. If not, just lie to us and tell us it will be here in a few months.

Haha... Yep, that was me! And yeah, that feeling that you're talking about was the one I was hoping for and did feel it a couple of times during the show, but I may have been moving too much. I wish I was related and actually my dad's name is Daniel Carey. As for the new album... It is supposedly going to be released either May 15th or May 22nd.

kdo615
02-05-2012, 09:30 PM
Haha... Yep, that was me! And yeah, that feeling that you're talking about was the one I was hoping for and did feel it a couple of times during the show, but I may have been moving too much. I wish I was related and actually my dad's name is Daniel Carey. As for the new album... It is supposedly going to be released either May 15th or May 22nd.

OK. I'm marking my calendar.

harbabd
02-06-2012, 07:47 AM
I have to say how happy I was to be at this show...it was my 5th time seeing Tool and it was the best one.

The setlist was creative and respectful. Two songs I never expected to hear live again...HWAP and Pushit (original version) made the show for me.

I love seeing Tool live but this show has me excited about the direction their live shows might take going forward. Very happy today.

Anon-Imus
02-06-2012, 09:29 AM
I can die happy now I've heard Sober. I was up in Section 108 row OO. I was bummed that I was in the nose bleeds, but I realized quickly it was the best acoustics I have heard in a basketball style auditorium. Also, I was able to stand in my seat and literally hang from the rafters, and it felt like I was above all the lights and lasers. Maynard hit all the high notes that I was listening for, and it was the first time I heard Adam use the voice box on Jambi successfully. Maynard changed the lyrics on the "fret for your ____" part of Aenima, but I couldn't make it out cuz of the extreme rock that was destroying my reality. Best show I've seen since I saw them my first time in 2002!!

Icehound
02-06-2012, 12:29 PM

Were you wearing a black shirt, jeans, and boots. If so, I was right above and to your left.

JRHE
02-06-2012, 01:00 PM
Enjoyed the show but it would have been better if the guy next to me wasn't screaming every song in my ear & he thought stinkfist was about fingering a girl - ha! . Maynard's vocals were stronger then last few tours, till next time. Spiral out

strong_zo
02-06-2012, 03:31 PM
Really I thought he liked the LIONS

JRHE
02-06-2012, 04:48 PM
By the way, did anyone else notice Space Invaders playing on the backdrop during the synthesized intermission?

Ladder Al (US)
02-06-2012, 05:08 PM
Awesome show! 4th Tool show.. I'm not one to complain too much about set list, but definitely glad they changed it up this tour compared to the past couple tours, which were all very similar (except for opening with Third Eye on their last mini-tour). Pushit is my fav Tool song, so I was very glad to get the chance to hear that live. Never was a big fan of Intension, but it came off great in their live show. Maynard sounded great, definitely better than the last 2 times I saw them, and even rivals the sound from Roosevelt Theater in Chicago in '06. I took my wife, who likes a few APC songs but never could get into Tool. I think last night we may have converted her over to our side. She was amazed at the lights and the music... and after my 4th show, I can say this was my favorite. Not sure if Maynard was just having a great day or the crowd put him in a great mood, but he seemed really into it, a lot more than I expected after reading reviews from other shows on the tour.

Johnima
02-06-2012, 05:13 PM
This was my first Tool show. It was very, very awesome! From certain reviews that I've read on this site, I was expecting Maynard's voice to be weaker, and the show to be a bit "phoned in." From what I saw, neither of these were the case. The band sounded extremely tight. Maynard's voice was very strong, hitting and holding notes I didn't expect him to (nailing the end of Pushit!). Maynard faced the audience a majority of the time, and all of the band members seemed to be enjoying themselves. If you like Tool's music, don't hesitate to see them. After seeing them play myself, I believe that most people with negative comments about Tool's performances are being very nit-picky. Either that, or this show was just unusually good! Anyways, a few points...

Traffic around the venue was backed up. The roads around the coliseum don't seem fit to deal with that many people. Also, once inside the venue, the halls were very small and crowded.

Although the show was seated, everyone was standing. Security wasn't strict about recording at all. Lots of people were recording, and I didn't see one person kicked out or even asked to stop.

The crowd was great (at least in my section). Nobody screaming the lyrics too loud, nobody dancing too crazy, nobody talking over the music. Most people were quiet, just taking it all in and maybe headbanging. The only thing that bothered me was the girl sitting next to me. She was not interested in the show, and clearly there because her boyfriend drug her there. In my opinion, if you don't like a band, don't see their show just because you want to make someone else happy. Let the ticket go to someone who will watch the show, instead of playing on their cellphone. Regardless, she wasn't loud or obnoxious, so no big deal.

The mix was great. I was in the nosebleeds (although still close to the band, as the venue is rather small), section 124, and each instrument was crisp and clear. None were too loud or overpowering. Even when Maynard used vocal effects, he was still audible.

We didn't get Ticks And Leeches, Parabola, or The Pot which was disappointing. I was hoping (based on previous set lists) that since we got Sober, we'd get Parabola. The show was about an hour and a half, which is standard this tour.

The tour posters arrived late, over halfway through the band's set. They weren't available when I check during Intension. I ended up getting one during the intermission near the end. They were $30, and no signed posters were available. Merchandise, in general, was very expensive. $40-50 shirts and $80 hoodies.

At the end of the show, Maynard came forward a bit, gave a peace sign to each side of the coliseum, talked to Adam, first bumped Danny, then left. The other members stuck around longer and gave each other hugs.

My favorite part had to be the visuals that go along with the show. As the show progressed, they got more and more intense. They started the show with a cloth covering their backdrop and just lights above the stage. Over the course of the show, they brought in several screens, lasers, and smoke. The screens covered more and more area as the show went on. The lasers were being shined both in the air and near their feet onstage. Their light show, just like their music, is an art form.

If I had any complaints, it would be the jam before Schism and the intermission near the end. In my opinion, their show is too short to spend 15 minutes on these. It means that you only hear about 75 minutes of material from their albums. I'd rather hear another song. Also, I don't think that the jam before Schism is new material, I think it is just an intro. In my opinion, it sounds much too similar to their old material to be something they'd put on a new album.

Overall, the show was killer. Some have been speculating recently that Tool may be coming to an end. Based on this show, I feel that Tool has both the interest and physical ability to continue.

SpiralOut67
02-06-2012, 05:34 PM
I was in secrion 109 on the front row. Yep, that was me that the incredibly drunk guy trying to scam box seats fell on and spilled his beer all over(my wife also) before the show even started. I did however keep my cool, realize that he was too drunk to punch, and offer a hand to pull him up and send him on his wasted way. Hell, I didn't want to blow my karma on him before the boys even got started.

As soon as HWAP got cranking I could immediately sense that this show was going to be special. My wife and I looked at each other and smiled. We knew this would be an epic night and it was. This was my 5th Tool show and I have to be honest and say that I wasn't expecting what we got. The last time Tool was in Charlotte in 2009 I thought Maynard seemed like he couldn't care less if he was there or not. The sound was muffled and the whole mood of the show was a drag. This past Saturday night Tool rocked the fucking roof off that old joint! They were amazing...incredible...fantastic...they blew our minds. It was the best concert I will ever see in my life. I know it...I sense it...it was that good. Perfect sound, perfect energy, perfect crowd...perfect.

I was still high off the show this morning at the gym. Hell they couldn't get me to shut up about it...and I dindn't want to. I wanted to spread the gospel Tool and I did spread it, to all that would listen. Fuck almighty they rocked that old coliseum. What an experience, what a special, special memory. I wanted to take my three year old with us, but my wife wouldn't let me. He is named after Maynard(Samuel James), but my wife said it would be too loud for him. She was right, it was fucking loud, but it was fucking incrediible and I will never forget how hard they rocked that night.

Thank you Maynard, Adam, Justin and Danny for bringing the noise, bringing the energy and bringing the roof down. You guys fucking rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blackanus
02-06-2012, 05:44 PM
Did anyone recognize any of the bands/songs that were playing over the PA after Yob but before Tool went on? I thought one sounded like Rammstein, but I can't seem to find the song. Another sounded like Dream Theater, but no such luck finding that one either.

Any help is appreciated!!!

In other news, my seats sucked ass for this show, but the highlight for me was when the Bojangles guy (old man, >60) saw Danny play his solo in 46&2 and said 'I can see why y'all like this. These guys are good!' Fuck yes. It's impossible for anyone to deny liking Tool once they give them a chance!!!

Icehound
02-06-2012, 05:53 PM
There was to be NO pictures or video recording in Section 106. Security, while professional, was extremely militant about no cell phone pics or recording. I don't know if they kicked anyone out, but they sure were threatening it. So, I took my photos during Aenima. ; )

NCToolfan
02-06-2012, 06:18 PM
Looking through youtube videos i've found many that said they were told to quit filming. A lot of the videos on there now are cut short. I was in 115 and nobody was told to put away phones. I was able to get at least one good pic (I only took 3 I think haha). I know in a different section somebody on my friends row got thrown out for texting during Aenima.

justforkicks
02-06-2012, 06:30 PM
4th show and was really glad to get 4 songs I hadn't heard before (Hooker, Sober, Pushit, Intension). Was bummed about the posters not arriving till after 9, so no signed posters available. Man do these posters smell awful! My entire room reeks already.

I was in section 115 in the back and thought it sounded great in there. Maynard was very audible throughout the show as well. Looked like all of them were really enjoying themselves tonight and I did notice Maynard point to each section of the arena before walking off. Last time in Charlotte somebody put a laser pointer on him early in the show and I don't remember him even turning back around until towards the end of the show.

Just wondering around what time Tool got on stage?

Icehound
02-06-2012, 06:51 PM
9:14 pm

sleepyh
02-06-2012, 08:12 PM
Did anyone recognize any of the bands/songs that were playing over the PA after Yob but before Tool went on? I thought one sounded like Rammstein, but I can't seem to find the song. Another sounded like Dream Theater, but no such luck finding that one either.

In other news, my seats sucked ass for this show, but the highlight for me was when the Bojangles guy (old man, >60) saw Danny play his solo in 46&2 and said 'I can see why y'all like this. These guys are good!' Fuck yes. It's impossible for anyone to deny liking Tool once they give them a chance!!!

first song after Yob was King Crimson - Three of a Perfect Pair

blackanus
02-06-2012, 08:38 PM
first song after Yob was King Crimson - Three of a Perfect Pair

Thanks!

Anon-Imus
02-06-2012, 09:59 PM

They definitely played Spiel Mit Mir by Rammstein after YOB (I took German just to translate that song, kind of creepy, translates to Play with me and he talks about playing with his brother while the adults are away... I recognized only that one. Maybe a Puscifer sounding song, but I stopped paying attention. Hope that helps!

allisoncarey
02-07-2012, 07:16 AM
Were you wearing a black shirt, jeans, and boots. If so, I was right above and to your left.

I was wearing my Tool Army shirt and brown pants.

Icehound
02-07-2012, 08:40 AM
Ok. Were you leaning over the wooden barrier for much of the show?

allisoncarey
02-07-2012, 08:46 AM
Ok. Were you leaning over the wooden barrier for much of the show?

Hmm... No, I was in the front row on the floor, leaning over the fence thing most of the time.

Icehound
02-07-2012, 09:22 AM
That would be the wooden barrier. ; )

allisoncarey
02-07-2012, 09:25 AM
That would be the wooden barrier. ; )

Damn... I was afraid you were going to say that... It didn't look like it was wooden at all to me. I was standing right in front of the fan at first, but moved between a few people further down a few songs in because it was distracting me.

reachinupandreachinout
02-07-2012, 10:11 AM
Sorry for such a late review but man, still trying to recover from the whole thing...

What a phenom that show was....Tenth show and man no dissapointments at all! The band was absolutely on point, no fuck ups that I could hear. Maynard was spot on and seemed to be into the show...Danny, Justin, and Adam were the usual greatness. Seats were in gold circle, 119 row J, very back of the bottom section on Justin's side, the view was astounding...close enough to see the guys AND far enough to miss no visuals. Crowd was pretty awesome except for one drunk fucker who sat in front of us...started to try to talk shit to a little teenager and ended up getting sat down by police over the whole thing. Otherwise, thank you Charlotte for a great show from the crowd.

Highlights were Hooker w A Penis, Pushit, and Intension. Sick sick sick!!! And the new stage set up with another level of the screen grids on top of the original ones is absolutely attention grabbing (even better than NIN Lights in the Sky), and the new imagery on the screens was bad ass...the spinning sound grids that form the human body instead of the crazy spinning flower from three years ago had me losing it!!!!
And I can't believe nobody touched on this on these forums yet.....FUCKING ASTEROIDS!!! HAHAHAHA!!!

Thank you TOOL for everything you are to me, thank you for the performances you've given me over the years, thank you for the inspiration....see you whenever you come back!

CL

Angel on the Sideline
02-07-2012, 11:43 AM

Hey, Alli! I met you and Dave hours before the show. My buddy and I were walking up the street; you were walking back to Dave's house. My buddy (Brian) and Dave live next door to each other. We chatted a bit about our love of Tool and you showed off your new tattoo on the inside of your wrist.

I told you how stoked I was about the setlist. You asked if they were playing Pushit, and you were pretty happy when I said, "Yes."

Anyway, I was wrong about one thing: they swapped Sober out for Ticks & Leeches. I was actually one of the few people who were happy about that. Sober is the song that got me into Tool way back when I was a sophomore in high school, and I had never seen it live before this show.

Sooo ... we came by to pick you up to give you a ride to the gig, but Dave said you freaked out and thought we weren't coming and bolted before we got there. Sorry about that. We got into the venue right as YOB was finishing up.

Hope you enjoyed the show, and maybe I'll see ya the next time I visit Brian in Charlotte.

Angel on the Sideline
02-07-2012, 11:49 AM
Just now getting a chance to post about the show. Drove 8 hours from the Louisville area to see it and hang with my college roomie, and it was definitely worth it. The venue sucked, but this proved to be the best Tool show I have ever seen.

There's not much I can say that everyone else hasn't already covered. So I'll keep it short. The highlights, for me, were Pushit and 46&2. But, really, the entire show rocked start to finish. I wish, however, that some people didn't think Intension isn't a real song. Too many assholes talking around me during that time, apparently thinking it was just a quiet interlude or something. Whatever.

To me, the biggest key of the night was the fact that Maynard's voice wasn't buried in the mix. You could actually hear every single note/word he sang clearly. It was by far the best vocal mix I've been able to enjoy at a Tool show. And, for all those haters out there who relish on picking on Maynard and his voice these days ... the Charlotte show proved you dead wrong. He sounded fantastic!

Anyway, like I said, everyone else has already covered it. So now it's time to wait for May and hope:

A) the album drops then, and;
B) they tour this summer and fall.

M3T4L.wILL
02-07-2012, 12:01 PM
This was my second Tool show and visually they blew my first time seeing them out of the water. I will say the 1st show I saw them on was the 10,000 Days tour in winston Salem, maynard was more vocal. even sang happy birthday to a girl I believe was related somehow to Adam. Song selection wise this tour was better because I got to hear alot of the older songs I really wanted to hear. Though I loved Sober live I really wish we would have gotten ticks & leeches instead but it doesn't take anything away from the experience. Hooker With A Penis was an amazing opener (the 2nd song I was most pumped to hear). The new intro to schism was incredible and I really think we're gonna hear that again on the "new album". Pushit was the highlight for me hands down. When he hit that note in "I must persuade you another waaaaaaaaay!" I literally felt like my heart was going to explode. And to close with Aenima put the icing on the cake for me and I really shed a tear during the "some say a comet will fall from the sky.." my favorite tool lyrics of all time. I had decent seats but sadly had drunk assholes next to me so I ended up in the nosebleed section with my other friends up top where it turned out better!! The sound was superb heard maynard fine the whole time and had a giant lazerbeam hitting me in the face during lateralus. I give this show a 10/10 even though I wished for ticks and leeches. Hope they come back around again this year for a summer tour and play some eulogy and third eye on the east coast. :D

CeePoa
02-07-2012, 12:02 PM
"The crowd was great (at least in my section). Nobody screaming the lyrics too loud, nobody dancing too crazy, nobody talking over the music. Most people were quiet, just taking it all in and maybe headbanging. The only thing that bothered me was the girl sitting next to me. She was not interested in the show, and clearly there because her boyfriend drug her there. In my opinion, if you don't like a band, don't see their show just because you want to make someone else happy. Let the ticket go to someone who will watch the show, instead of playing on their cellphone. Regardless, she wasn't loud or obnoxious, so no big deal.

The mix was great. I was in the nosebleeds (although still close to the band, as the venue is rather small), section 124, and each instrument was crisp and clear. None were too loud or overpowering. Even when Maynard used vocal effects, he was still audible."

Were you sitting behind me? I was in 124 (DD) and one of the ladies behind me had a sour look on her face the entire time. She clearly was not into it.

NOYB
02-07-2012, 07:47 PM
This was my 2nd show. 1st one was in Virginia Beach back in '04 or so. Long time Tool fan since '93. My fiance likes Tool, just not as much as I do, and her daughter, who is 15, has only heard what I play in my car. With this in mind I was way more excited for my 2 girls to see the production that Tool displays with the always awesome songs. They were diggin the show and the music. But something bothered me. We sat in row 5 section 114 which faces straight toward the stage, which means that there's no real need to stand to see the show. So before the aisle break there is only one row of seats in front of us. I looked around once in a while never did I see anyone in our section standing. BUT WAIT, there's a douchebag in the seat in front of my 15 year old girl who feels the need to constantly stand without regard to anyone behind him the-whole-damn-show! My fiance and I offered for her to switch seats with us but she didn't want to. I felt compelled plenty of times to ask the guy to please sit. But, I know he paid to see the show too, and there's nothing wrong with feelin the music and having the urge to stand and move with the music. I've always considered myself considerate and rational, but this one time I really just wanted to push the guy over the railing. My apologies for my venting here.
Tool rules

Johnima
02-07-2012, 08:59 PM
"Were you sitting behind me? I was in 124 (DD) and one of the ladies behind me had a sour look on her face the entire time. She clearly was not into it."

Yeah I was definitely sitting behind you! I was in 124 EE. That very well may have been her. She definitely didn't ruin the show or anything... I was just super stoked about seeing them, and it threw me off when I saw someone so... bored. I just couldn't see how she could be so uninterested, given what was going on in front of her! Everyone in front of me seemed to be having a great time! I just might have a shot of the back of your head now :)

organicdestroyer
02-08-2012, 07:45 AM
As soon as I heard Tool was touring and what a short tour and where the dates were I knew that they were going to do something special. When I read the first set list I knew I was right. I never would have guessed they would have brought some of the songs back that they did and hearing them live was great.
We got to the venue about seven and went to a short line got right in. Security was no problem just looking for weapons. Walked around for a while and yob took the stage. We watched the first song from the concourse then went outside for a smoke. People were really cool. My buddy had a WV pullover on and a lot of people from WV came over and talked with us. Got our pregame on and headed for our seats.
We were in 108 row J pretty close and just a bit higher than the stage. Sound was great really loud but you could hear everybody. Maynard was really clear. They all were into it I could see that for sure. I did hear a few mess-ups. Maynard either didn't sing or missed a line at the end of Pushit and Justin kind of screwed up the wah pedal part in Schism. No big deal though. The guest drummer wasn't doing very well after the jam was over in Lateralus. I had a great view and he was trying to find the beat most the time. HWAP and Pushit were the highlights for me. Seeing those songs live was indescribable. I looked for a poster when I went in and was pissed because they were none. During the show I saw people coming back with rolled up posters and knew something was up. As soon as they left the stage I pushed through and got to the merch counter scoring #85.
I must say this was a great show. The feeling in the building and the band being pumped up made for a great night. I can't wait to see whats coming up from these guys.

Heroin
02-08-2012, 09:55 AM
im not one to bitch or complain much but ive been paying good money to see these guys every year since 96 and sometimes two or three times on the same leg of the tour in ga, sc, nc and va once and this is the first time i was disapointed with them. not so much with the prefomance but with the setlist and the waste of time like the drum off with the drumer who couldnt keep up, where we could have got another song or two. ok ill admit that hooker and pushit was a nice treat but i was looking foward to seeing ticks but we got sober. a song hes been singing since the 80's with cad. the past two shows i kind of felt let down even though we got flood last two times, he does not sing on some parts of the song like the end of vicarious and all the song that were played saturday have been played over and over for the past 10 years. and the played intension with no right in two. itl like playing parabol and not parabola. i just wanted something different.

SpiralOut67
02-08-2012, 11:59 AM
This was my 2nd show. 1st one was in Virginia Beach back in '04 or so. Long time Tool fan since '93. My fiance likes Tool, just not as much as I do, and her daughter, who is 15, has only heard what I play in my car. With this in mind I was way more excited for my 2 girls to see the production that Tool displays with the always awesome songs. They were diggin the show and the music. But something bothered me. We sat in row 5 section 114 which faces straight toward the stage, which means that there's no real need to stand to see the show. So before the aisle break there is only one row of seats in front of us. I looked around once in a while never did I see anyone in our section standing. BUT WAIT, there's a douchebag in the seat in front of my 15 year old girl who feels the need to constantly stand without regard to anyone behind him the-whole-damn-show! My fiance and I offered for her to switch seats with us but she didn't want to. I felt compelled plenty of times to ask the guy to please sit. But, I know he paid to see the show too, and there's nothing wrong with feelin the music and having the urge to stand and move with the music. I've always considered myself considerate and rational, but this one time I really just wanted to push the guy over the railing. My apologies for my venting here.
Tool rules

I'm sorry, but WHAT??? You are mad because someone wouldn't sit down at a Tool show? C'mon man, I mean really? If you didn't want anybody in front of you you should have shelled out for front row seats like I did. It's an effing Tool concert and you expect people to stay seated? Ugh...

SpiralOut67
02-08-2012, 02:49 PM
Just now getting a chance to post about the show. Drove 8 hours from the Louisville area to see it and hang with my college roomie, and it was definitely worth it. The venue sucked, but this proved to be the best Tool show I have ever seen.

There's not much I can say that everyone else hasn't already covered. So I'll keep it short. The highlights, for me, were Pushit and 46&2. But, really, the entire show rocked start to finish. I wish, however, that some people didn't think Intension isn't a real song. Too many assholes talking around me during that time, apparently thinking it was just a quiet interlude or something. Whatever.

To me, the biggest key of the night was the fact that Maynard's voice wasn't buried in the mix. You could actually hear every single note/word he sang clearly. It was by far the best vocal mix I've been able to enjoy at a Tool show. And, for all those haters out there who relish on picking on Maynard and his voice these days ... the Charlotte show proved you dead wrong. He sounded fantastic!

Anyway, like I said, everyone else has already covered it. So now it's time to wait for May and hope:

A) the album drops then, and;
B) they tour this summer and fall.

I Think you are right about Maynard's vocals. He was on top of his game and sounded great. I am a bit confused by the Charlotte concert really though. I mean, the last time they were here in 2009 his vocals were really low and muffled and sounded awful. I remember talking to my wife after the show about it. It made me question whether Maynard was really still into the whole "Tool thing" or not. Then I saw him with APC last summer and his voice was incredible. It made me go "hmmmm". Then when I heard how fantastic he sounded at the Charlotte show this time it blew me away. His vocals were crisp and powerful and he seemed full of himself like old times. His Toolishness was on full display and it made the whole vibe of the show incredible. It gives me great hope that the new album will be better than ever and that theywill tour again soon. It's just kind of confusing as to why the vocals seemed to be so lacking the last few times they have hit the road. I dunno, but I am elated that the old Maynard seems to be back and his voice is amazing. Can't wait to see them again...

thrdeye
02-08-2012, 03:00 PM
Tool is Tool and they are always great. I've seen them 8 times now.

I do have to say that this wasn't the best I've seen, though. Just my opinion of course. I guess the best way to say it is that unlike many of the other shows that I have seen, nothing made me go "wow".

Don't get me wrong, they played and sounded great, but I still have a gut feeling that Maynard isn't really into it anymore.

Pushit was the high point.

NOYB
02-08-2012, 04:40 PM
I'm sorry, but WHAT??? You are mad because someone wouldn't sit down at a Tool show? C'mon man, I mean really? If you didn't want anybody in front of you you should have shelled out for front row seats like I did. It's an effing Tool concert and you expect people to stay seated? Ugh...

I don't think you understood what I said. My little girl could not see even if she stood, and I shelled out a shit ton of money for the whole Tool lovin trip. I love Tool's art, music, and fan base, most of which are considerate. For the record I do not expect people to sit at a Tool concert, I had a hard time staying seated to not block people behind me cause I felt the urge to jump up and groove, but I was being considerate. We were in the back facing the stage, understand?...no need to stand to see over someone.
Tool Rules and I'm deleting account. I thought the Tool fan base here would understand the consideration for other people's highs and lows in life.
Spiraling Out

SpiralOut67
02-08-2012, 04:49 PM
I don't think you understood what I said. My little girl could not see even if she stood, and I shelled out a shit ton of money for the whole Tool lovin trip. I love Tool's art, music, and fan base, most of which are considerate. For the record I do not expect people to sit at a Tool concert, I had a hard time staying seated to not block people behind me cause I felt the urge to jump up and groove, but I was being considerate. We were in the back facing the stage, understand?...no need to stand to see over someone.
Tool Rules and I'm deleting account. I thought the Tool fan base here would understand the consideration for other people's highs and lows in life.
Spiraling Out

Dude, I totally sympathize with your daughter's view being blocked, but all I am saying is that you were going to a Tool concert. Did you really expect everyone to stay seated? I don't care what direction I am viewing the show from I have no choice but to stand and groove, pump my fist and let it all out. Can you really stay seated when Jambi cranks up? Stinkfist? I know I'm not alone in saying that I cannot. That is why I always shell out a few extra bucks for front row seats so I don't have to worry about it. Us Toolies are mostly cool enough. it's just that when you say something about "douchebags at a Tool concert not staying seated" some of us might get a little annoyed. Peace.

shiloh
02-08-2012, 06:08 PM
great show...8th show since 1997. Me and wife had a great time, sat in section 125 right on justins side. band sounded tight as ever...3rd time seen pushit.. loved it ..i wish they would play jimmy one time when i see them, then i would have seen them perform all songs from Æ i got a charlotte show poster, and got one of the richmond VA ones that was sigend.

peace

~S~

trve/kvlt
02-09-2012, 06:07 AM

I'm pretty sure the "rammstein" song you speak of is 'colurblind' from the new skinny puppy album. it was definitely played. i'm not sure what the 'dream theater'-ish song was, but quite possible something robert fripp related.

hope this helps.

trve/kvlt
02-09-2012, 06:10 AM
great show. hadn't seen Tool since 2003(?) so my wife and I were stoked.

I have to say, the band was finding their groove for the first 2-3 songs. I don't see any mention of that here. I honestly felt for a few minutes that tool was quite possibly losing their edge and just plain being lazy/lack of rehearsal.

those concerns subsided, as by the 3rd or 4th song they were firing on all cylinders.

by the end, i was blown away which means something to me these days.

thanks TOOL. hope to see you again soon.

frankiemcd1
02-10-2012, 09:40 AM
The only problem I saw was with the video boards. Did anyone else notice they weren't quite lined up right, so it looked a little off? And during Aenima, what was MJK saying fret for? It sounded like "schlager", but I haven't heard anyone mention it. It was my 6th show, and probably 2nd best to the fall 2002 tour.

allisoncarey
02-10-2012, 02:44 PM
The only problem I saw was with the video boards. Did anyone else notice they weren't quite lined up right, so it looked a little off? And during Aenima, what was MJK saying fret for? It sounded like "schlager", but I haven't heard anyone mention it. It was my 6th show, and probably 2nd best to the fall 2002 tour.

Yeah, I noticed that about Aenema too, but I couldn't understand him. One other person on here mentioned it, but also couldn't tell what it was he was saying.

Angel on the Sideline
02-14-2012, 06:58 AM
I Think you are right about Maynard's vocals. He was on top of his game and sounded great. I am a bit confused by the Charlotte concert really though. I mean, the last time they were here in 2009 his vocals were really low and muffled and sounded awful. I remember talking to my wife after the show about it. It made me question whether Maynard was really still into the whole "Tool thing" or not. Then I saw him with APC last summer and his voice was incredible. It made me go "hmmmm". Then when I heard how fantastic he sounded at the Charlotte show this time it blew me away. His vocals were crisp and powerful and he seemed full of himself like old times. His Toolishness was on full display and it made the whole vibe of the show incredible. It gives me great hope that the new album will be better than ever and that theywill tour again soon. It's just kind of confusing as to why the vocals seemed to be so lacking the last few times they have hit the road. I dunno, but I am elated that the old Maynard seems to be back and his voice is amazing. Can't wait to see them again...

Agree 100%. I really think it has everything to do with the sound board mix.

Angel on the Sideline
02-14-2012, 07:02 AM
Dude, I totally sympathize with your daughter's view being blocked, but all I am saying is that you were going to a Tool concert. Did you really expect everyone to stay seated? I don't care what direction I am viewing the show from I have no choice but to stand and groove, pump my fist and let it all out. Can you really stay seated when Jambi cranks up? Stinkfist? I know I'm not alone in saying that I cannot. That is why I always shell out a few extra bucks for front row seats so I don't have to worry about it. Us Toolies are mostly cool enough. it's just that when you say something about "douchebags at a Tool concert not staying seated" some of us might get a little annoyed. Peace.

Yep, I'm going to stand the entire time and rock my ass off. I'm going to headbang at times, sway at others, pump my fist at others. But I am going to stand, I am going to move and I am going to take part in a very cathartic experience. All the while attempting to be considerate of others. If there's a child behind me who cannot see ... I would probably offer to trade seats with her so that she could be in front of me. But I'm going to rock out nonetheless.

Angel on the Sideline
02-14-2012, 07:05 AM

That caught my attention, too, but I couldn't make it out. I really thought that by now some caring soul would have cleared this matter up for us.

The things that amuse us ...

Anyone?

Mohandas_Rand
02-14-2012, 07:24 AM
That caught my attention, too, but I couldn't make it out. I really thought that by now some caring soul would have cleared this matter up for us.

The things that amuse us ...

Anyone?

Schleyer. Justin's bass tech. Maynard has some weird infatuation where he randomly replaces words with 'Schleyer'.

toolphishdhs
02-15-2012, 04:57 PM
well, its taken awhile but i am finally getting around to posting. I wont comment on specific songs but i must say i was expecting way less than what i got. I had heard how they were phoning it in and maynard sounded like shit and blah blah blah, but they sounded soooo good. It was the best they have sounded since my first show in 2001 in raleigh. Maynard sounded great, very clear and very powerful. Visually stunning, of course. Funny/awesome side note. When i went on ticketmaster, i threw away the first ticket that i pulled, and then it gave me 12th row dead center. I had the best visuals and sound in the house!! i am soo thankful i got to go to that show. It was my 4th, and then Duluth was my 5th show. I will keep going as long as they keep playing. I think the near future for Tool is looking very very bright

also the visuals matched up perfectly but only from a straight on view. had a kinda side view at duluth and noticed the visuals didnt line up. not a big deal though

Keithio46and2
02-25-2012, 07:52 AM
By the way, did anyone else notice Space Invaders playing on the backdrop during the synthesized intermission?

I think it was Asteroids :)

Keithio46and2
02-25-2012, 08:47 AM
Just Joined the Forum So Hey Tooliens...this was the 5th show that my brother and I have gone to and we took a couple of fans who had never seen a Show... Man did they get a Treat for their De-virginizing...This was by far my Favorite time seeing them...our seats weren't as good as I would have liked (section 124 row OO, The Very Top and left side of Stage) but in my Tool experiences it never mattered where I sat it always sounds Great!!! I Loved the set list and thought 46 and 2 was spot on being my favorite Tool Song... Great Crowd, Really got into it with cheering and Singing when Maynard let Us, seemed everyone was in time with the music and that much devotion from fans gives me Chills :) My Only Peeve was after the show when some dude, who was obviously drunk and looked like he may have been tripping as well, bullied his way in line at the Merchandise Table trying to cut everyone, but that was halted quickly by a fellow who straight told him to F**k Off...lol...Our First timers really had an awesome time seeing Danny Jammin away!! The Visuals by far have improved with the addition of more screens and the movement and placing of them and with the lasers and timely spotlight flashes just phenomenal...I think I'm gonna start a savings account for the next time they come just to get a more frontal seating arrangement...It'll be worth it :) Let's Hope there is plenty left in the Tank from Tool cause believe it or not there are still fans that haven't truly gotten the Tool Experience...besides this is 2012 and Mom's Coming back to Flush it All Away...Til Then, Pushit!!

Aezarien
06-21-2012, 11:15 PM

Right. It's a concert not tea with grandma. We were on the floor and had people singing loudly to the music, people taller than us standing in front of us, and the people next to us were dry humping half the time and the dude was yelling, "Fuck you Maynard" the other half. Let's not forget the amazing contact buzz I got from whoever fired up near us. Fuck it. They were having fun, I was having fun, and It was fun and I was into it. As long as people aren't standing on chairs, don't try to start fights, and don't spill their beer on me, I consider it a success. And for me, this was the best of three.