PDA

View Full Version : General Tool Discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

kanaduh
12-20-2011, 11:03 PM
Time for a new thread.

Going to make a small change starting from now. A lot of people on this site want to keep the setlist a surprise until they get to see their local show.

****DO NOT TALK ABOUT SETLISTS OR SAY ANYTHING THAT WOULD SPOIL A SURPRISE FOR SOMEONE WHO HAS NOT SEEN A SHOW ON THIS TOUR YET****

This thread is meant to be a safe place for people to visit without having to worry about ruining any surprises. You can speculate on what setlist you would prefer, but any leaked information prior to the tour, or any official setlists once the tour starts are NOT to be posted in this thread.

I am updating the old "10k Days Ideal Setlist" thread which everyone can use to post all the spoilers/setlist discussion that your heart desires.

Thanks.

(PS: They will play PUSHIT every show this tour. Confirmed by my source)

Mohandas_Rand
12-21-2011, 12:15 AM
Intronaut is opening on the western dates, Yob is opening on the eastern dates. That's not really a spoiler, is it?

livid star
12-21-2011, 12:50 AM
LOL pushit every show?! You spoiled it for me....now I'm not going

Dylanja
12-21-2011, 08:28 AM
Drunk with power, already?

Selassie
12-21-2011, 08:40 AM
LIVE TOOL MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!

Can ya tell I'm excited lol. Havent seen a tool show since Fairfax VA in 09.

Camden and meadowlands here we cum!

kanaduh
12-21-2011, 11:27 AM
Intronaut is opening on the western dates, Yob is opening on the eastern dates. That's not really a spoiler, is it?

of course not.

also, where did you get that confirmation? are Yob any good?

dave-tx
12-21-2011, 12:39 PM
of course not.

also, where did you get that confirmation? are Yob any good?

Southern Lord is reporting it on their FB page. Yob is outstanding, they released one of the best metal records of 2011. I terribly wish they were playing at the Dallas show.

kanaduh
12-21-2011, 05:33 PM
interesting.

btw, Intronaut seems pretty amazing as well. At least from what I've heard so far, I think I am actually going to really enjoy checking them out.

hellboy1975
12-21-2011, 06:03 PM
I listened to the new Yob album this morning and it's excellent.

mrpresident
12-21-2011, 07:48 PM
Time for a new thread.

Going to make a small change starting from now. A lot of people on this site want to keep the setlist a surprise until they get to see their local show.

****DO NOT TALK ABOUT SETLISTS OR SAY ANYTHING THAT WOULD SPOIL A SURPRISE FOR SOMEONE WHO HAS NOT SEEN A SHOW ON THIS TOUR YET****

Spoiler???

wes
12-21-2011, 09:40 PM
Time for a new thread.

This thread is meant to be a safe place for people to visit without having to worry about ruining any surprises. You can speculate on what setlist you would prefer, but any leaked information prior to the tour, or any official setlists once the tour starts are NOT to be posted in this thread.

I am updating the old "10k Days Ideal Setlist" thread which everyone can use to post all the spoilers/setlist discussion that your heart desires.

Thanks.

what happened to the other thread with 214 pages

wes
12-21-2011, 09:55 PM
what happened to the other thread with 214 pages

Nevermind I found it about midway through the winter 2012 tour dates. Sorry Kanaduh and congrats .

Mohandas_Rand
12-22-2011, 02:52 AM
also, where did you get that confirmation?

Danny revealed it on Children of Saturn the other day.

Also, I'm not a fan of Yob. Good thing I'm going to a western date.

harbabd
12-22-2011, 07:12 AM
I am going to avoid checking setlists this time...Charlotte will be my fourth Tool show and this is my attempt at a setlist. Not an ideal one, just my prediction.

Third Eye
The Pot
Forty Six and 2
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Pushit
Schism
Vicarious
Intolerance
Lateralus
AEnema
Stinkfist

yac03
12-22-2011, 07:15 AM
interesting.

btw, Intronaut seems pretty amazing as well. At least from what I've heard so far, I think I am actually going to really enjoy checking them out.

Intronaut is outstanding. I saw them with Mastodon a couple years ago and they almost stole the show. I immediately thought they would be a great compliment for a Tool show...dare I say in the vain of Isis.

No Denver date has me seriously bummed...would've trecked to KC but can't make it any farther away than that. Stupid adulthood...

damnfool
12-22-2011, 07:26 AM
so who all is going to try an get a deep dicking from the verizon theater site again this morning? I've got a few computers an a couple iPads and two phones ready to go, if I dont get some face value tickets then there is some sort of devil magic going on.

TOOLwrench
12-22-2011, 07:30 AM
I am,trying atleast

Ganjalf
12-22-2011, 07:35 AM
Good luck guys I'm also trying.

damnfool
12-22-2011, 08:08 AM
three computers to ipads still waiting one phone still on hold my sister just got section 205 via phone...use your phonesss!!!!

dave-tx
12-22-2011, 08:27 AM
Got mine...A single in the 200's, pretty much the same location as I got for the first show.

Tmax
12-22-2011, 08:31 AM
three computers to ipads still waiting one phone still on hold my sister just got section 205 via phone...use your phonesss!!!!

Couldn't use phone cause I'm at work. Settled for 411 row H seats 17&18. I guess i'll look forward to the light show!

damnfool
12-22-2011, 09:00 AM
Looks like I might have either a pair or two pair to sell for the 21st show depending on who falls through

Ganjalf
12-22-2011, 09:17 AM
From my source - Looks like Danny will be playing the drums.

TOOLwrench
12-22-2011, 09:55 AM
damnfool u say u were using an ipad,i tried that as well as my pc and the ipad crashes. did yours do that,it doesnt accept or load the page or something. i got section 202 three rows from the floor,way over in a corner

l David l
12-22-2011, 11:01 AM
I am going to avoid checking setlists this time...Charlotte will be my fourth Tool show and this is my attempt at a setlist. Not an ideal one, just my prediction.

Third Eye
The Pot
Forty Six and 2
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Pushit
Schism
Vicarious
Intolerance
Lateralus
AEnema
Stinkfist

I'm in greensboro too. Charlotte will be my 5th. Glad they added that date. I had tickets for Duluth until I messed up my credit card and lost them.

TOOLwrench
12-22-2011, 11:32 AM
intronaut reminds me of baroness or mastodon. better than tweetbird

damnfool
12-22-2011, 01:07 PM
damnfool u say u were using an ipad,i tried that as well as my pc and the ipad crashes. did yours do that,it doesnt accept or load the page or something. i got section 202 three rows from the floor,way over in a corner

yeah both ipads were completely useless they just showed a problem with the waiting room right when the on sale time hit.

kanaduh
12-22-2011, 02:51 PM
From my source - Looks like Danny will be playing the drums.

hellboy, post this shit on fourtheye ASAP.

The Embryo 2
12-22-2011, 04:45 PM
Eye for one think if you are worried about spoilers, you should avoid online forums before your said concert date.

harbabd
12-22-2011, 06:50 PM
I'm in greensboro too. Charlotte will be my 5th. Glad they added that date. I had tickets for Duluth until I messed up my credit card and lost them.

Thought about the show in Atlanta but held out for something closer and got lucky with Charlotte. Not a bad drive on a Saturday night from GSO.

hellboy1975
12-22-2011, 07:02 PM
Hampton, VA should get the show on the 3rd according to Blair

begmetostay
12-22-2011, 08:03 PM
Eye for one think if you are worried about spoilers, you should avoid online forums before your said concert date.

Seriously. Because what else are we going to discuss once the tour starts? This should be called the official set list bitching thread.

hellboy1975
12-22-2011, 08:18 PM
Technically there's nothing to spoil until the first gig of the tour.

wes
12-22-2011, 09:45 PM
[QUOTE=harbabd;3039001]Thought about the show in Atlanta but held out for something closer and got lucky with might do both

wes
12-22-2011, 09:55 PM
Thought about the show in Atlanta but held out for something closer and got lucky with Charlotte. Not a bad drive on a Saturday night from GSO.

I got Atlanta tickets when they started selling and got sec.105 row p . Then the next day they announced charlotte . I might do both . Any word on sale date for charlotte yet ? I saw Tool at bojangles coliseum July 29 2009. You dont want section 112 . I can tell u that much. Its tucked in a corner .

harbabd
12-23-2011, 06:06 AM
I got Atlanta tickets when they started selling and got sec.105 row p . Then the next day they announced charlotte . I might do both . Any word on sale date for charlotte yet ? I saw Tool at bojangles coliseum July 29 2009. You dont want section 112 . I can tell u that much. Its tucked in a corner .

No onsale yet, I am guessing the 7th like the others...I was on the floor for the show back in 2009 at Bojangles. Thanks for letting me know about 112 though...

smp930
12-23-2011, 06:54 AM
Hampton, VA should get the show on the 3rd according to Blair

arrgggg hampton is like over a 3 hour drive....arggg.at least its a show in va and we aint getting skipped this time.

TurdEye13
12-23-2011, 10:11 AM
arrgggg hampton is like over a 3 hour drive....arggg.at least its a show in va and we aint getting skipped this time.

I'm driving 6 hours.......

smp930
12-23-2011, 10:18 AM

Well it will be more the worth the long drive.

livid star
12-23-2011, 11:47 AM
Iam greyhounding my way to Vegas, 12 hours...this is really the instance in which I will resort to such cost effective matters. Priorities, right?!

Eighteenth Eye
12-23-2011, 11:51 AM
A handful of excellent Toronto lower bowl tickets just went up for sale!

http://www.ticketmaster.ca/event/100047880456CA4E?artistid=720703&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=60

EDIT: Looks like they are all American Express Front of the Line tickets. You may need an AMEX card to purchase the available seats.

Ganjalf
12-23-2011, 02:14 PM
Iam greyhounding my way to Vegas, 12 hours...this is really the instance in which I will resort to such cost effective matters. Priorities, right?!

Right. Have fun and be safe.

TOOLwrench
12-23-2011, 03:12 PM
Driving 5 hours one way

The Embryo 2
12-23-2011, 08:24 PM

I'm flying 45 mins

TurdEye13
12-23-2011, 09:42 PM
I'm flying 45 mins

Vegas I assume?

damnfool
12-23-2011, 10:24 PM
I've drove right at around 8hrs to see tool an puscifer so think that's my limit if any things within an 8hr drive I'm down but since I moved into an actual city finally shouldn't be having to do that to often

damnfool
12-23-2011, 11:32 PM
I really hope they do away with the drum off during the best part of lateralus takes me outta the damn song every time. I mean I like watching Danny do all that but not at that building peaking part of that tune

sonnyboy11
12-24-2011, 12:27 AM

So CA to Vegas? Shouldn't take quite that long. I've banged that 15 drive out in just over 4 hours (coming from LA, granted). You got this.

Shiat dog! Like a redneck at a kissin-cousins dance, I got major wood just thinkin about opening up my 300HP sport hatch to the open road on a pleasant Sunday. Yeeeeeehaaaa!

sonnyboy11
12-24-2011, 01:06 AM
The Lateralus drum-off + guest has rarely worked well. A decent enough idea, since at least one half of it is Danny. But it has not panned out.

damnfool
12-24-2011, 04:48 AM
i elect to move the usual drum circle jerk in lateralus to right in two, where it seems much more appropriate.

in fact i wouldn't even mind not hearing lateralus live, unless it tops the time melt banana featured in the extended drum off. it's not always pulled off so well, and surely there's something else they can play.

... like a new song, perhaps?

Not hear lateralus live?!

Blasphemy!!! I want it I could give a shit about schism but I think everybody here would agree that we're all good on hearing that one. Could prolly do without stinkfist and 46&2 but still don't mind them as much as schism I've just never been that big of fan of it

kanaduh
12-24-2011, 05:20 AM
i'm surprisd at how much negative feedback the extended lateralus drumoff is getting with some of you. although i do agree with aegean_okra - it would seem to be more appropriate for right in two.

new millenium cyanide christ
12-24-2011, 06:00 AM
i'm surprisd at how much negative feedback the extended lateralus drumoff is getting with some of you. although i do agree with aegean_okra - it would seem to be more appropriate for right in two.

why are you surprised? it completely kills the song.

and, although i agree it would "fit" better in right in two, i wouldnt want to see it there either to be honest.

if they wanna drum off, do it during triad or not at all, imo.

dave-tx
12-24-2011, 06:11 AM

I like the drumoff, but don't think it needs to be done every show. Then again, I think the setlist should change - at least a little bit - every night. I honestly don't see how the band doesn't get bored toward the end of a tour.

12-24-2011, 08:35 AM
in other news...

YOB >>>>> intronaut

SO glad i'm gonna be able to catch yob on these east coast dates.

they are going to be epic accompanied with some fat joints.

i'm REALLY hoping they play "prepare the ground". fuck.

dave-tx
12-24-2011, 08:45 AM
SO glad i'm gonna be able to catch yob on these east coast dates.

Me = Jealous. But I'm looking forward to seeing Intronaut. I've only seen one Tool opener that I really didn't like, I think they do a great job of picking tourmates.

12-24-2011, 09:14 AM
Me = Jealous. But I'm looking forward to seeing Intronaut. I've only seen one Tool opener that I really didn't like, I think they do a great job of picking tourmates.

don't be TOO jealous, you get back to back dates over there in texas!

which, for the most part, pretty much guarentees that you will get setlist variation on night number 2.

btw, IF you can only make one of the nights, i whole heartedly suggest going with night number 2. having seen tool play back to back nights (3 seperate times), the 2nd night is ALWAYS "better" and more magical. trust me.

also, which openening band did you not enjoy so much?

dave-tx
12-24-2011, 09:33 AM
also, which openening band did you not enjoy so much?

I kinda didn't want to say...but Tomahawk really didn't do anything for me. On the other side of the spectrum, I absolutely loved Isis, Trans Am, Kinski, and Tweak Bird, the latter three of which I had never heard before their opening slots for Tool - so in that respect, I really enjoy seeing a new band that they've picked for the opening slot.

dave-tx
12-24-2011, 09:34 AM
don't be TOO jealous, you get back to back dates over there in texas!

which, for the most part, pretty much guarentees that you will get setlist variation on night number 2.

btw, IF you can only make one of the nights, i whole heartedly suggest going with night number 2. having seen tool play back to back nights (3 seperate times), the 2nd night is ALWAYS "better" and more magical. trust me.

I've got tickets to both nights, and will probably only go to one of the two. Haven't decided which night, yet - a lot depends on when I can drive up from Austin.

Hell, I might end up going both nights.

12-24-2011, 09:47 AM
I've got tickets to both nights, and will probably only go to one of the two. Haven't decided which night, yet - a lot depends on when I can drive up from Austin.

Hell, I might end up going both nights.

well, if you only go to one of the two, take my advice!! 2nd night dude, 2nd night.

if you go to both, at least you'll have the 1st night to compare how utterly epic the 2nd night wound up being, haha.

whoops. well i didnt want to urge you to say if you didnt want to. but yeah, i enjoyed isis. and i'm a HUGE meshuggah fan as well. very glad i got to see them on the lateralus tour. (and many times after that). if you arent into them, you should give them a good listen.

:)

kanaduh
12-24-2011, 09:52 AM
when isis opened for tool in 2006 i hadn't heard of them and didn't pay too much attention to them. i was waiting for my second ever tool show to start, after all.

(which is why i think it's unfair for a lot of bands to open for tool. most people just dont care/too exicted/dont concentrate on the opening band).

however, i checked them out a few weeks after the show and isis has been my second favourite band ever since.

The Embryo 2
12-24-2011, 10:16 AM
best opening act for Tool = The Melvins

sonnyboy11
12-24-2011, 10:17 AM
Isis grew on me after watching them a few times. I had trouble getting past their approach to the vocals. But no doubt they could all play.

Melt Banana continues to be my favorite Tool opener. But I was already a fan before they took the gig. I thought they sounded great and really enjoyed looking at the faces of all the bewildered Tool fans during their set.

The Embryo 2
12-24-2011, 10:23 AM
Isis grew on me after watching them a few times. I had trouble getting past their approach to the vocals. But no doubt they could all play.

Melt Banana continues to be my favorite Tool opener. But I was already a fan before they took the gig. I thought they sounded great and really enjoyed looking at the faces of all the bewildered Tool fans during their set.

Yeah that was pretty cool.

12-24-2011, 10:34 AM
best opening act for a perfect circle = mini kiss

haha.

those asian chicks were pretty bad ass too.

gadzooked1
12-24-2011, 12:09 PM
Mohegan Sun 1/31/12 will hopefully go like this:
Third Eye
Sober
Jambi
Pushit
Intension
Right In Two
Ticks and Leeches
Aenema (Never Gets old live!)
Lateralus
Vicarious

gadzooked1
12-24-2011, 12:11 PM
Seeing ANY Tool song performed live is a gift, accept what you get and cherish it. Merry Christmas you scampy heathens!

gadzooked1
12-24-2011, 12:14 PM
Tomahawk was my favorite Tool opener. Fantomas was awesome, too. Seeing Mike Patton and Dave Lombardo onstage with Tool cannot be topped. (Tom Morello at bonnaroo was close)

sonnyboy11
12-24-2011, 01:37 PM
How bout one-off openers? (Festivals, etc)

I saw NIN open for Tool. That certainly was an amazing coupling. But it was a lousy day for Maynard so doesn't really stick out like it should in my memory (NIN were outta this world great).

My Bloody Valentine was awesome at APW! That one was great just to observe the anger welling up in Tool fans during the Holocaust. I really like that stuff for some reason. :)

damnfool
12-24-2011, 01:44 PM
I always thought nin would be an awesome opener for tool especially during that lights in the sky tour. I saw them open for Jane addiction then left a song or two in Janes it was just Bleh compared to the nin performance before it. I missed woven hand last year got to the venue late both times but I haven't had a tool opener stick with me or that I hate either way. I think like someone said earlier you're just so focused on the tool music that is to come that it's pretty hard to soak in something else right before it.

Edit: iPhone autocorrect James addiction stupid phone

begmetostay
12-24-2011, 01:53 PM
Third Eye
Sober
Jambi
Pushit
Intension
Right In Two
Ticks and Leeches
Lateralus
Vicarious

Ticks and leeches? really? I would love to see it but that's just not possible. Might as well put Reflection in there, lol

The Embryo 2
12-24-2011, 03:15 PM
How bout one-off openers? (Festivals, etc)

I saw NIN open for Tool. That certainly was an amazing coupling. But it was a lousy day for Maynard so doesn't really stick out like it should in my memory (NIN were outta this world great).

My Bloody Valentine was awesome at APW! That one was great just to observe the anger welling up in Tool fans during the Holocaust. I really like that stuff for some reason. :)

Tool opening up for Orbital was pretty dope

kanaduh
12-24-2011, 03:40 PM

I'll never forget that! Plus all the mud in that park... Someone needs to post a story of the My Bloody Valentine experience. EPIC WIN.

jwb
12-24-2011, 08:24 PM
If you haven't checked out YOB yet, get 'Illusion of Motion' THEN 'Atma.'
They are both ridiculously good records.

12-24-2011, 08:46 PM
Third Eye
Sober
Jambi
Pushit
Intension
Right In Two
Ticks and Leeches
Lateralus
Vicarious

i would definitely not mind this, at all. in fact, i'd be pretty fucking happy with this. sign me up for that shit right now.

(except i'd switch lateralus and vicarious. lateralus is a nice way to part ways and say our temporary goodbyes.)

Underalus
12-24-2011, 09:45 PM
JUST PLAY H. GODDAMMIT. Kanaduh, what do your elf eyes see? Any chance?

hellboy1975
12-24-2011, 11:02 PM
how about

H., No Quarter, The Patient

instead of

46 and 2, Lateralus, Schism
I'd genuinely rather hear 46 and 2, Lateralus and Schism than those tracks

sonnyboy11
12-24-2011, 11:11 PM
I'd easily trade Schism for H. Not because I think H. is the better tune (it's still awesome!) but mainly because Schism has earned a time out.

Just finished listening to D/R/T tonight. Man, THAT would be something to see this tour, eh? Not happening, of course. But sure is great stuff.

The Embryo 2
12-26-2011, 01:54 PM
I'd genuinely rather hear 46 and 2, Lateralus and Schism than those tracks

Really?

I gotta admit I find No Quarter a bit boring. (Saw it once live back in the day.)

But "H" would be epic.

begmetostay
12-26-2011, 03:00 PM
46&2 and Schism are like Tool's pop tracks to me. i love 'em, but i've heard enough, and i especially don't like how obnoxiously loud and punchy they sound live nowadays. i guess i don't really want lateralus retired, just... trimmed down a bit: no drum circle jerk over justin hitting one note for 10 minutes, no break in the guitar riff before "with my feet upon the ground..." just a sweet, solid, modest delivery of the crown jewel of the album

besides, i've already heard all three live; was impressed by 46 and 2, mostly bored and turned off by live schism modulo danny's insane drumming in the sped-up section, and lateralus was less than bombastic

i'm not even complaining by the way. i just thought we were talking about setlists.

speaking of which, i have a bad feeling that we may not hear stinkfist this time around. i could listen to stinkfist, especially live versions, all day. definitely my favourite tool song, and was hoping to see it again (with the blotter right on top of me, at that)

I know stinkfist has been at every show i've seen but seriously that's just a great live tune. Will be sad to see it go. Also I would love to hear Lateralus without the drum off . Love Danny but it's a bit much sometimes.

12-26-2011, 08:21 PM
I know stinkfist has been at every show i've seen but seriously that's just a great live tune. Will be sad to see it go. Also I would love to hear Lateralus without the drum off . Love Danny but it's a bit much sometimes.

agreed.

we should sign a petition to get rid of that waste of time fuckin drum off and play H in the time it would have taken up.

hellboy1975
12-26-2011, 08:48 PM
Really?

I gotta admit I find No Quarter a bit boring. (Saw it once live back in the day.)

But "H" would be epic.

Nah, I'd rather hear every other track off Aenima than H.

Underalus
12-26-2011, 09:06 PM
Nah, I'd rather hear every other track off Aenima than H.

absolute blasphemy!

I'd rather hear H. than any song period. If my $90 ticket gets me a perfect performance of that song and nothing else I would honestly deem it worth my money.

damnfool
12-26-2011, 09:33 PM
I'm not a huge fan of jimmy(maybe how hellboy feels about H I feel about it)its good and all I still listen to it but H is fanfuckintastical

kanaduh
12-26-2011, 09:33 PM
H is so good. the climax is balls-to-the-wall awesome. its heaviness contrasts beautifully with the quieter mood of the rest of the song. the lyrics are cryptic and poignant, the drumming is beautifully subtle, and a simple riff is transformed into something really magical.

You sir, need to write more song reviews.

begmetostay
12-26-2011, 11:45 PM
what is this i don't even...

H is so good. the climax is balls-to-the-wall awesome. its heaviness contrasts beautifully with the quieter mood of the rest of the song. the lyrics are cryptic and poignant, the drumming is beautifully subtle, and a simple riff is transformed into something really magical.

Yea a week ago I would have given H. an "eh" because I always forget about it. I actually listened to it a week ago and it's sooo underrated. Quite a lovely song.

Ganjalf
12-27-2011, 07:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A-OdEG6JKY&feature=player_detailpage#t=317s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-uxO7zO2qU&feature=player_detailpage#t=301s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mONH52JZqo4&feature=player_detailpage#t=303s
Three reasons why H. is amazing live.

Dylanja
12-27-2011, 07:55 AM
Radio City just gave me goose bumps from head to toe.

I'm surprised by how many dream setlists are so similar to what they usually play. Don't get me wrong, I love all their songs and enjoy anything they play, but if I had my choice I'd scrap every song from their recent sets in favor of hearing things they never play.

SJC91
12-27-2011, 08:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A-OdEG6JKY&feature=player_detailpage#t=317s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-uxO7zO2qU&feature=player_detailpage#t=301s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mONH52JZqo4&feature=player_detailpage#t=303s
Three reasons why H. is amazing live.

I'd love to see H. live...but I imagine Maynard letting the crowd sing that part, ala-Vicarious. If that were the case, I'd be incredibly disappointed.

When was the last time the played it?

nusense
12-27-2011, 08:04 AM
The tracks I'd kill to hear on this tour (or any forthcoming one, really) that I think fall within some realm of possibility (and haven't been played recently):

-H. (dying to see this live, still haven't.)
-Disposition/Reflection (I'd love to see Triad tacked on, but they've done it with just these two and I'd be more than pleased with that and Adam's droning ending of Reflection trailing off into the Intermission)
-Pushit (granted, saw it during the 2007 tours, but whether Salival or Album version, it's pound for pound the most intense song I've seen them do. Lot of others are close of course.)
-Parabol/Parabola
-Bottom
-Undertow
-Crawl Away
-4 Degrees
-The Grudge

As much as I understand some of the swapping complaints/suggestions, I just love most of the common suggestions too much. Especially Schism. It's so great live, especially where they usually place it in the set. It's a real "gear shifting" moment to me, no matter how many times I hear it. And I don't think I could ever lose Stinkfist either.

And personally I loved the Lateralus drum offs, although I'd trade it for another song (note: just the drum off, not all of Lateralus. They could fit in an Undertow song just by nixing the drum off) most nights I guess. My favorites were always when they did it with just Danny, although all of Kinski playing it with them in Pensacola was a real fucking treat in 07. Still the best one I saw, with Tom Morello at Bonnaroo a close 2nd.

If I were to trade any of the mainstays from the 10K days tours, I would swap Vicarious for something older. Although, my enjoyment of that one live went up 10 fold when they moved it to the front of the set this last time. And I love it live, but I wouldn't lose too much sleep if Jambi was swapped. More often than not, both due to certain gadgets and it's placement at the beginning, it seems to be "Technical Difficulties: The Song." It's the song that sadly, is sacrificed to getting the mix right.

Also praying that Third Eye sticks around.

slamminsalmon
12-27-2011, 08:16 AM
dream setlist if i were to see them today.

the grudge
sober
jambi
third eye(first half)
stinkfist>
third eye (revisited)
lateralus
drt
right in two
the patient
rosetta stoned
H
4degrees
pushit
46&2

encore:
something epic from the new album

12-27-2011, 08:39 AM
i was @ that radio city show where they performed that version of H.

be jealous.

smp930
12-27-2011, 01:17 PM
i was @ that radio city show where they performed that version of H.

be jealous.

That version of H. is just amazing.I did get to see them play it in B-more in 02.Lost my mind when it started. It was great,not as good as the radio city one,but still amazing.And I will join in on this dream set list thing.....

Third Eye
Stinkfist
Jambi
E.B.A/The Patient
Eulogy
H.
Swamp Song
Push It
D/R/T
Intension/Right In Two
Aenma
Lateralus

nusense
12-27-2011, 02:27 PM
Ah, forgot to add Eulogy to my wish list. If we're talking dream setlist, who cares how long/realistic kind of business (but still somewhat realistic, i.e. they can't just play everything), mine would be something like...

Third Eye
The Grudge
Stinkfist
Eulogy
H.
(ambient jam)
Forty Six & 2
EBA/The Patient
Schism
Parabol/Parabola
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
(ambient jam)
Pushit
No Quarter (or something else that's older and play it before Pushit)
<Intermission>
Disposition/Reflection/Triad
Lateralus
Aenema

The Embryo 2
12-27-2011, 03:37 PM
Ah, forgot to add Eulogy to my wish list. If we're talking dream setlist, who cares how long/realistic kind of business (but still somewhat realistic, i.e. they can't just play everything), mine would be something like...

Third Eye
The Grudge
Stinkfist
Eulogy
H.
(ambient jam)
Forty Six & 2
EBA/The Patient
Schism
Parabol/Parabola
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
(ambient jam)
Pushit
No Quarter (or something else that's older and play it before Pushit)
<Intermission>
Disposition/Reflection/Triad
Lateralus
Aenema

what? no Maynard's Dick?

damnfool
12-27-2011, 04:21 PM
guess who listened to H. approximately 6 times in a row today? Now I desperately wanna hear that live. For all of you guys lucky enough to have seen some of the older shows I'm curious as to how eulogy is live. Does it come across well? I assume so since everything else does, it just seems like it'd be a bit odd.

TOOLwrench
12-27-2011, 04:40 PM
Its pretty fuckin awesome,wish theyd bring it back

Underalus
12-27-2011, 07:50 PM
guess who listened to H. approximately 6 times in a row today? Now I desperately wanna hear that live. For all of you guys lucky enough to have seen some of the older shows I'm curious as to how eulogy is live. Does it come across well? I assume so since everything else does, it just seems like it'd be a bit odd.

I often listen to H. for an entire day on repeat. None of their other songs even come close to me.

kanaduh
12-27-2011, 08:34 PM
I am of the opinion that pretty much every Tool song is fair game to possibly be played in an upcoming tour. Especially since they already decided to break out Third Eye.

There are only 2 songs that I can say with almost 100% certainty they will never play again:

Ticks and Leeches, due to the vocals.

Wings/10000 Days, due to the nature of the song and douchebags in the audience.

damnfool
12-27-2011, 10:21 PM
I am of the opinion that pretty much every Tool song is fair game to possibly be played in an upcoming tour. Especially since they already decided to break out Third Eye.

There are only 2 songs that I can say with almost 100% certainty they will never play again:

what about Prison Sex? would you add that to your two?

kanaduh
12-27-2011, 10:49 PM
what about Prison Sex? would you add that to your two?

No, I dont really see a reason why I would?

soreal
12-27-2011, 10:50 PM

u think not even a chance of ticks huh? 100%

hellboy1975
12-27-2011, 11:14 PM
I don't think Ticks & Leeches is so unlikely. Even when they performed it in the past, Maynard has used effects heavily on the track, and I don't see any reason he couldn't employ such tactics on futures tour. Indeed recent performances of Third Eye suggest Maynard is more comfortable with the idea of using effects to enhance screams.

Ganjalf
12-27-2011, 11:56 PM
No, I dont really see a reason why I would?

Prison Sex, Wings for Marie/10,000 Days, Jerk-Off, Jimmy

are the songs that I believe will never be performed live again.

steviet
12-28-2011, 12:51 AM
what? no Maynard's Dick?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3oqFNyC8HM

Who wouldn't want to see this live? Play this instead of schism.

phylleb
12-28-2011, 05:38 AM
can't believe you guys are leaving out right in two...epic live

nusense
12-28-2011, 07:47 AM
Pretty sure Wings and Prison Sex were the two Maynard explicitly said he wouldn't be doing anymore. And by that logic, you could probably throw Jimmy on the pile. But then, APC still plays Judith, right? I guess that one's less "delicate" than Wings. Crowd can't really fuck up Judith.

damnfool
12-28-2011, 08:44 AM
Glad I got to see Wings and 10Kdays a couple times live if they never play it again. Would love to see prison sex especially the alternate one with the extra verse but I thought there was a line from Maynard in that revolver tool mag saying something about not doing it again.

The Embryo 2
12-28-2011, 12:47 PM
still not sure we need this to be two threads..

The Embryo 2
12-28-2011, 01:28 PM
On another note:

I just watched the DVD of Smashinp Pumpkins live that was included in the Siamese Dream remaster boxset..

and low and behold there is a crowd surfer with an old school Tool shirt on.

The show was recorded in 1993, so that makes that dude pretty OGT.

(like me)

Dylanja
12-28-2011, 01:47 PM
Okay okay, I need input.

Would you rather:

A) See two Tool shows with mediocre seats and be broke

or

B) See one Tool show with amazing seats and have some money to spare

begmetostay
12-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Okay okay, I need input.

Would you rather:

or

Option B seems the wiser choice. but I would probably do option A lol

Dylanja
12-28-2011, 02:30 PM
But the thing about Tool is, I'm perfectly okay with dismissing all logic and reason.

Ganjalf
12-28-2011, 02:32 PM
See tool twice.

tooldude
12-28-2011, 02:50 PM
Twice

TOOLwrench
12-28-2011, 03:56 PM
OGT since 93

sonnyboy11
12-28-2011, 04:36 PM
Twice. (but this is TDN... what'd ya expect us to say?)

kanaduh
12-28-2011, 09:30 PM
Okay okay, I need input.

Would you rather:

or

Twice. Easy decision.

Also, from my experience in the past sometimes the shows with "shitty seats" end up being more enjoyable than the ones with better seats.

Occassionaly it can be a good thing to appreciate and observe the visuals/production from a good safe distance... Vicariously.

basie
12-29-2011, 12:10 AM
Good to see Tool touring again. Hopefully they decide to come to Europe again this summer...

hellboy1975
12-29-2011, 01:24 AM
Good to see Tool touring again. Hopefully they decide to come to Europe again this summer...
I hope not. I think at this stage almost everyone would prefer they just recording the fucking album...

And I think that we'll probably see Tool hit the studio in May/June.

The Embryo 2
12-29-2011, 09:24 AM
Twice. Easy decision.

Also, from my experience in the past sometimes the shows with "shitty seats" end up being more enjoyable than the ones with better seats.

Occassionaly it can be a good thing to appreciate and observe the visuals/production from a good safe distance... Vicariously.

I'm going to go the other way and say one epic show. Probably because my show count is getting up there and the shows don't vary much any more.

slamminsalmon
12-29-2011, 10:10 AM
id take quality over quantity. unless your gonna do a sober show, and a tripping show. then i think you should do both.

The Embryo 2
12-29-2011, 10:23 AM
id take quality over quantity. unless your gonna do a sober show, and a tripping show. then i think you should do both.

Good point!

Dylanja
12-29-2011, 11:07 AM
Yeah, as of right now I'm going to go with just the one show. However, if a friend messages me telling me the played Reflection the first show, then I'll hop in a car and start driving toward Vegas.

Next question: will there be a new Alex Grey backdrop???

Underalus
12-29-2011, 12:55 PM
Answer: probably not.

I hope I eat my words though.

Ganjalf
12-29-2011, 01:48 PM
hopefully they drop alex grey's art work for the next album. tired of looking at his art work tbh.

TurdEye13
12-29-2011, 02:01 PM
hopefully they drop alex grey's art work for the next album. tired of looking at his art work tbh.

Really? I've always thought it was a perfect fit.

The Embryo 2
12-29-2011, 02:14 PM

It would be interesting to see them go in another direction.

Don't want to get stuck in a motif.

I suspect we wont know that until next album/tour.

I also suspect that due to the nature of (and the expense of) the last stage and lights set up we will get to see it again. Maybe with some variation.

Only a couple of more weeks!

nusense
12-29-2011, 02:46 PM
Especially since they're hitting up areas not visited really last time. I would say that lends credence to them keeping a similar set up. Maybe a few more LED walls or something, but I wouldn't guess it'd be a big diversion outside of that.

Dylanja
12-29-2011, 03:14 PM
Maybe Maynard will be inside some sort of LED cube.

Only to later find out it was Moby filling in as a stunt double.

Brett Weir
12-29-2011, 06:18 PM
I went the single ticket route for Boston, and am fortunate to be in floor A. I am pretty pumped to see them again. The last two times I caught them were not particularly great shows, so I debated spending the $ this time around. But f-ck it right? They won't be around forever.
Right In Two, and everything of Opiate (except Opiate itself) are songs that I've never heard live. I've given up on the idea of hearing stuff off Opiate (although maybe they still break them out, just not at the shows I've seen).
I'm set with the drumoff, and wouldn't miss Schism if it was left off the set. Regardless, I'll take what they give me.

kanaduh
12-29-2011, 11:40 PM
id take quality over quantity

in my opinion, a "bad day" at a tool concert is still better than the best possible day not being at a tool concert :)

damnfool
12-30-2011, 10:26 AM
I'm starting to get pretty excited now. Not quite a month tool 2days in a row. Definitely gonna have to strap on my boner pants.

The Embryo 2
12-30-2011, 11:22 AM
2 weeks for reno!

damnfool
12-31-2011, 09:54 PM
Happy new year fellow tool peeps may all our soon to come shows be mind blowing an hopefully a new album as well in this next 12months

nrca
01-02-2012, 04:31 PM
2012 also marks 20 years since their first release. Should be an exciting year for Tool. Even if the new stuff wont be finished by the end of the year, the creative process of making that music will continue happen over the next year.

cristane
01-02-2012, 06:35 PM
2012 also marks 20 years since their first release

..and 5 years since I've seen them last :) The Toronto show can't come soon enough.

Emericana
01-02-2012, 07:18 PM
Has anyone ever purchased a "e ticket" from craigslist? i found this dude who said he would sell me a ticket to the camden show at face value (via PayPal) but it is a e-ticket.

Is there anything stopping this guy from selling this e-ticket to multiple people? does paypal stop it? or does the old saying "if it is too good to be true" apply here? anyone have any experience to share?

jwb
01-02-2012, 07:27 PM
Has anyone ever purchased a "e ticket" from craigslist? i found this dude who said he would sell me a ticket to the camden show at face value (via PayPal) but it is a e-ticket.

Is there anything stopping this guy from selling this e-ticket to multiple people? does paypal stop it? or does the old saying "if it is too good to be true" apply here? anyone have any experience to share?

It's a little risky. Whoever shows up first when they (ticket takers) scan the barcode will get in (if he sells multiple copies of the same e-ticket). It was a MAJOR clusterfuck at the Atlanta show back in 2001 when some asshole sold about 100 versions of the same ticket on eBay. I think it ended up delaying the start of the show because there were so many pissed off people thinking they had a ticket.
Personally, I would only buy a "hard" ticket.

The Embryo 2
01-02-2012, 07:32 PM

Paypal purchases from Ebay are guaranteed not sure about CL. The problem is even with a guarantee they have a claims process that wont help you the night of the show.

I would feel the person out to see if they are a fan. I tend to be pretty trusting, and can get a good take on a person after a few conversations.

For example: SonnyBoy is insane.

Dylanja
01-02-2012, 10:38 PM
For example: SonnyBoy is insane.

Seconded.

smp930
01-03-2012, 08:10 AM
Hampton,VA tickets on sale sat. morning. YAY!!!!!!!!!

parables in the world
01-03-2012, 08:40 AM
Has anyone said, this tour is their 20th Anniversary tour.

Dylanja
01-03-2012, 02:11 PM
They're getting up there. DC turned fiddy last year.

Do you ever think that they'll go on a reunion tour and play an album in it's entirety a la Roger Waters?

2026 Tool tours Aenima.

hellboy1975
01-03-2012, 02:36 PM
20th Anniversary of releasing Opiate perhaps.

jwb
01-03-2012, 07:48 PM

Good lord. In five more years they are going to be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

I thought I was old as fuck when I heard G n' R were being inducted. I can still remember seeing the 'Welcome to the Jungle' video on MTV late night when I was in high school and thinking, this is the BEST BAND IN THE WORLD!

... Then I heard Sober on the radio in 92' or 93' and changed my mind.

nrca
01-03-2012, 08:16 PM
Good lord. In five more years they are going to be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

I thought I was old as fuck when I heard G n' R were being inducted. I can still remember seeing the 'Welcome to the Jungle' video on MTV late night when I was in high school and thinking, this is the BEST BAND IN THE WORLD!

... Then I heard Sober on the radio in 92' or 93' and changed my mind.

That would be cool, yet I think unlikely that it will only be 5 years. Even Rush isn't in there yet.

Dylanja
01-03-2012, 08:22 PM
What's the rush?

hellboy1975
01-03-2012, 08:43 PM
The problem with Tool getting into the Hall of Fame, is not so much that they deserve it, it's that during 92 & 93 there are a whole bunch of other bands that are more likely to be inducted, Nirvana and Pearl Jam for instance...

sonnyboy11
01-03-2012, 09:53 PM
Well, ok. But I like to think I am a good kind of insane.

kanaduh
01-04-2012, 01:50 PM
FYI just confirmed i'll be travelling with girlfriend to the NYC and Uncasville shows. Will be staying in NYC for basically that entire week.

If anyone has suggestions for a reasonable and safe hotel, that would be appreciated.

I will also be in need of 2 tickets for both shows.

begmetostay
01-04-2012, 03:24 PM
FYI just confirmed i'll be travelling with girlfriend to the NYC and Uncasville shows. Will be staying in NYC for basically that entire week.

If anyone has suggestions for a reasonable and safe hotel, that would be appreciated.

I will also be in need of 2 tickets for both shows.

Dude you're going to drive from ny to the ct show? That's like 3 hours. I hope you're able to find tickets; that's going to get pricey.

kanaduh
01-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Dude you're going to drive from ny to the ct show? That's like 3 hours. I hope you're able to find tickets; that's going to get pricey.

Nope, taking the train from Toronto to NYC so I will not even have access to a car. The current plan is to take Amtrak from NYC to "New London" station which is apprently somewhat close to the casino.

Honestly, I dont really know if this is realistic or doable just yet.... i'll see what happens?

Edit: WTF. Mohegan Sun hotel at the venue is asking for $409 as the cheapest price for the night of the Tool show. ridiculous. Any other hotel options in that area? because getting back to NYC seems unreasonable after a Tool show.

TOOLwrench
01-05-2012, 01:35 PM
Anyone here receive the night two jan21st TOOL tix in the mail yet?
I still dont have my tix yet! Customer service sux too. They cant even track what day they shipped.

01-05-2012, 02:30 PM
Kanadah check out the mohegan thread at fourtheye...there are cheap hotel options listed there

Willyfrazier
01-05-2012, 02:39 PM
Folks ... Quick question for anyone ... My 13 year old daughter loves Tool (as do I) and I want to take her to the Atlanta concert. Thoughts on taking her at that age? I've never seen them and am dying to go. Would love to take her as well, but curious about thoughts on their behavior when live.

livid star
01-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Folks ... Quick question for anyone ... My 13 year old daughter loves Tool (as do I) and I want to take her to the Atlanta concert. Thoughts on taking her at that age? I've never seen them and am dying to go. Would love to take her as well, but curious about thoughts on their behavior when live.

That's the age I was when I saw them for the first time. Maynard was in his drag stage, whilst being painted half red, half blue. The only worry to have is the fragrant aromas of multiple ganja smokers.

damnfool
01-05-2012, 02:50 PM
A 13yr old is plenty old enough to enjoy a tool show. Won't be anything at the show any worse then they would experience at school with peers.

3hird EyE
01-05-2012, 03:23 PM
That's an ok age for a Tool show as long as you don't mind a rather generous amount of smoke.

Dylanja
01-05-2012, 03:51 PM
Take her, it's a memory you'll share forever.

Matthew77
01-05-2012, 04:31 PM
She is definitely old enough for a Tool show. Take her. You both will have a great time.

jwb
01-05-2012, 05:01 PM
Ya'll be fine. TOOL shows these days are about as tame as going to the Ice-capades. Not knockin' 'em, just sayin.

begmetostay
01-05-2012, 05:25 PM

It should definitely be fine. You might have had something to worry about if you saw them in the 90's. MJK is pretty tame these days

EDIT: Damn where did all these other responses come from lol

Willyfrazier
01-05-2012, 05:48 PM
Thanks everyone. Makes me feel better. We'll definitely go. Can't wait.

jwb
01-05-2012, 06:22 PM
Maybe I'm just old and cynical, but shows these days aren't shit to worry about. I recently went to a GA Lamb of God show with a friend of mine and his 13yo daughter and aside from some funny looks from security on our way in, there was nothing out of control.

Contrast that with when I was 22 and went to a FILTER (short bus tour) show and Richard Patrick got pissed off and started throwing water bottles at security (who said, fuck it and left). The place went absolutely crazy. I got the fuck out of the pit as quickly as possible. I swear it was mayhem in there.

01-05-2012, 09:21 PM
The only worry to have is the fragrant aromas of multiple ganja smokers.

this.

other than that, good times to be had all around!!! enjoy!!!

kanaduh
01-05-2012, 10:09 PM

You need to keep in mind that there will be plenty of weed floating around the air in the venue. Besides that ------ TAKE HER!

TurdEye13
01-05-2012, 10:16 PM
Thanks everyone. Makes me feel better. We'll definitely go. Can't wait.

Go for it! Have fun!

Underalus
01-05-2012, 11:02 PM
Maynard will not say anything worse than he does on Opiate or Undertow. If she's heard those songs and gets what those lyrics refer to the worst you'll have to deal with is a cringe-moment here or there where he mentions something sexual. He used to encourage the crowd to strip down and fuck or jerk off when they got home or something but lately he's been pretty calm. He does curse though. The rest of the band is statuesque and totally silent.

Ganjalf
01-06-2012, 12:24 AM

You definitely have to go see them live.

parables in the world
01-06-2012, 06:49 AM
Bet you anything younger kids are going to go.

Ganjalf
01-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Bet you anything younger kids are going to go.

I've seen 6 year olds at Tool shows.

Matthew77
01-06-2012, 03:20 PM
i wouldn't say the stinkfist video is tame. i wouldn't say tool is music for kids, anyway (not that they should be barred from listening to it, but they certainly lack the life experience to even begin to appreciate the depth of their art)

then again, f she already loves tool, i see no good reason not to take her, irrespective of era. what's so bad about a 13 year old seeing someone in drag? painted? they might not understand, but they won't be traumatized.

if she "loves" tool, you think she hasn't read the lyrics to stinkfist, sober, prison sex...?

My 4 year old daughter loves Tool and she definitley doesn't understand the depth of their art. It is just music that sounds good to her. When she was 2 she would mimic the screaching sound in Stinkfist, it was pretty cool.

Matthew77
01-06-2012, 03:24 PM
Maybe I'm just old and cynical, but shows these days aren't shit to worry about. I recently went to a GA Lamb of God show with a friend of mine and his 13yo daughter and aside from some funny looks from security on our way in, there was nothing out of control.

Contrast that with when I was 22 and went to a FILTER (short bus tour) show and Richard Patrick got pissed off and started throwing water bottles at security (who said, fuck it and left). The place went absolutely crazy. I got the fuck out of the pit as quickly as possible. I swear it was mayhem in there.

Slipknot would be questionable for a young kid. When I saw Slipknot a couple of years ago Clown and other members were very vulgar (the guy with the long nose was stroking the nose like it was a cock and clown was flipping off the crowd and making jerking off motions) and Corey Taylor said fuck alot.

I do have to agree with you that today's shows are milder. I remembver going to see Pantera and Phil throwing cups of beer in the crowd and telling everyone to smoke pot and eat acid. Pantera was great live!

Matthew77
01-06-2012, 04:02 PM
As I was thinking about what Tool is going to play on this tour I thought about the first time I saw them live and found the set list for that show. Here is what Tool play the first time I saw them on 10/24/1996:

Stinkfist
46 and 2
Intolerance
Eulogy
Hooker with a Penis
Prison Sex
Jimmy
Undertow
Pushit
Sober
Opiate
Aenima

This was an Awesome show and I would love to see all those Aenima songs today.

ironchefchris
01-07-2012, 07:41 AM
why isn't there a hampton thread?...

01-07-2012, 08:15 AM
because hampton doesnt exist.

wes
01-07-2012, 08:32 AM
Hello Tool fans got my charlotte tix today section 107 mezzanine . Also going to the Atlanta show section 105 . And jan 25 going to see the red hot chili peckers . I am very happy right now . Got a question . While getting my charlotte tix it spit out sec. 106 but it had a warning that said beside the stage . I gave them up with hesitation and searched again and got the section 107 without the warning . Did I screw up guys ? Has anyone ever sat beside the stage ?

tooldude
01-07-2012, 08:54 AM
No, you did good. Those seats suck.

parables in the world
01-07-2012, 09:31 AM
They do. My first tool show the speakers blocked,my view of Danny

wes
01-07-2012, 09:49 AM
Thanks guys . I saw them at this same venue july 29,2009 and I sat in section 112 and sec 107 is 5 sections closer so Im glad now that i gave the seats beside the stage up in sec 106 for 107 .

kanaduh
01-07-2012, 01:55 PM
considering Blair posted this on toolband i dont really consider it a spoiler anymore. wtf is with his reference to Triad/Ticks/Jerk Off. Is this a joke? Thoughts?

3hird EyE
01-07-2012, 02:07 PM
I can see them playing Ticks on this tour. Triad without D/R would be kinda odd but cool. Jerk-Off... ehhh. I can't see them playing that.

SJC91
01-07-2012, 02:18 PM
Considering its Blair, I'd say he's just trying to rustle some feathers before the tour.

kanaduh
01-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Considering its Blair, I'd say he's just trying to rustle some feathers before the tour.

on the day of the NOLA show in 2010 (first show of the tour), Blair hinted that they would play 3 songs they havent played in a while "one from lateralus, one from aenema, and one older one".

Sure enough, Third Eye/The Patient/Intolerance were played that tour.

He may not be full of shit.

SJC91
01-07-2012, 02:39 PM
Very good point. Well, one can only hope. I'm hoping for Triad or Ticks. I wouldn't mind Jerk-Off but I'm kind of indifferent towards it. With all due respect though, can Maynard sing Ticks anymore?

3hird EyE
01-07-2012, 03:19 PM
He never really sang it live (without help) on the Lateralus tour anyway. Tons of vocal effects and seeing as he used a lot of distortion of Third Eye on the last tours, I don't see why he couldn't or wouldn't want to do the same with Ticks.

Dylanja
01-07-2012, 03:33 PM
I get that Blair built himself a reputation of a world class bull shitter, but for the past few years, I think he's been more truthful than not. Especially when he talks directly about the band.

nrca
01-07-2012, 04:03 PM
We will just have to wait and see of it's true or not. I honestly thought the whole winter tour thing that was hinted was gonna be nothing, but then it happened. I noticed in the newsletter before the official announcement (November I think) when it is hinted where they would play "a date or two in LA " was said. I don't know if that will happen, but hearing the Coachella rumor going around, could be referring to that, since it will be the same festival two weekends in a row this year. Yet also blair mentions something about Australia, so who knows.

wes
01-07-2012, 06:54 PM
Have we heard from Junior lately ?

damnfool
01-07-2012, 06:56 PM
Blair teased triad in a news post during the 2006/2007 tour for I believes either a Wichita or Okc date an it never happened

kanaduh
01-07-2012, 07:32 PM
Have we heard from Junior lately ?

He stopped coming here after the 2009 tour.

I talked to him last month and he said the negativity around the tour (setlists/bitching/etc) made it difficult to keep coming back, unfortunately.

He also toured and did lighting for both Puscifer and System of a Down last year.

nusense
01-07-2012, 07:52 PM
I'm pretty sure those track hints are just jokes relating to the fact that he's drumming on her tits.

wes
01-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Thanks kanaduh . Do u think he will still do the lighting for the 2012 TOOL winter tour ? I hope thats not a dumb question .

SJC91
01-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Regarding Junior...Ill be sitting RIGHT behind him in Vegas...would it be weird to say hi? haha

kanaduh
01-07-2012, 09:39 PM
Thanks kanaduh . Do u think he will still do the lighting for the 2012 TOOL winter tour ? I hope thats not a dumb question .

Pretty much 100% sure he will be there!

begmetostay
01-07-2012, 10:10 PM
considering Blair posted this on toolband i dont really consider it a spoiler anymore. wtf is with his reference to Triad/Ticks/Jerk Off. Is this a joke? Thoughts?

lol Kanaduh is breaking his own rules!

Edit: and I find that picture hilarious.

sonnyboy11
01-08-2012, 01:17 AM
Regarding Junior...Ill be sitting RIGHT behind him in Vegas...would it be weird to say hi? haha

Dude, it won't. Just walk up to the sound area, and ask "which one o ya'll is junior?" and say hello. You might have a beer in hand for him if you're feeling generous. He's a good guy, but remember he is working.

I still think he lurks here, btw. Hopefully he'll post up. There are plenty of us who'd welcome his insight.

hellboy1975
01-08-2012, 03:38 AM
Junior is pretty friendly, I've chatted to him at a show before, though only briefly as he usually tends to be a little busy. He also normally has a setlist in the booth with him...

livid star
01-08-2012, 10:49 AM
Currently listening to The Grudge transports me to the time and place of absorbing Lateralus for the first time. The unfamiliar landscapes to explore quickly awaken the senses and leave you craving more with every note. I so badly need to feel that again and wouldn't it be swell to hear something like that during this tour? New material!!!!!

wes
01-08-2012, 11:22 AM
Guys I am so excited !!!!! I get to see Tool twice in February on the 4th and the 8th . And I feel like I got really good seats 16 and 19 rows up from the floor and I get to see from both sides of the stage. The charlotte show I will be facing the left side of the stage in sec. 107 . And the Duluth Georgia show I will be facing the right side of the stage in sec. 105 . Can u believe it ? These are the best seats I have ever gotten . The July 29,2009 show at bojangles coliseum in charlotte n.c. I sat in sec. 112 and this time I scored sec. 107 which is much closer . I am a happy Tool Fan .

livid star
01-08-2012, 01:15 PM
starting to get ridiculously excited as well. just got wind that some blotter will be making its way down here soon enough. the evening of the 25th is gonna be positively divine.

is anyone purposefully abstaining from tool before the concert? i haven't listened to them in about 2 weeks and don't intend to until the 25th for that added element of freshness (but i'm seriously jonesing for my daily stinkfisting)

Actually quite the opposite response for me. I am totally craving tool's tunes therefore I'm satiating my hunger

merkaboy
01-08-2012, 03:13 PM

I talked to him last month and he said the negativity around the tour (setlists/bitching/etc) made it difficult to keep coming back, unfortunately.

He also toured and did lighting for both Puscifer and System of a Down last year.

figured that would happen

TurdEye13
01-08-2012, 03:24 PM
figured that would happen

Gotta admit we are a bitchy bunch

merkaboy
01-08-2012, 03:25 PM
i could see them playing the long version of jerk off

merkaboy
01-08-2012, 03:26 PM
i really want opiate in its entirety

3hird EyE
01-08-2012, 04:01 PM
i really want opiate in its entirety

I was just thinking about that last night. It would be pretty cool for them to open the show with all of Opiate for the 20 year anniversary.

The Embryo 2
01-08-2012, 04:18 PM
I was just thinking about that last night. It would be pretty cool for them to open the show with all of Opiate for the 20 year anniversary.

It certainly wont take too long...

wes
01-08-2012, 04:48 PM
This thread is slowly building into a TOOL FRENZY . I literaly get goose bumps thinkin about this shit .

begmetostay
01-08-2012, 05:53 PM

They were really playing the same 8 songs for like 3 years. Neglecting a huge portion of their catalog. I feel that setlist bitching was a bit justified. Funny though, cause people were soo happy with the 2010 changes.

The Embryo 2
01-08-2012, 07:02 PM
They were really playing the same 8 songs for like 3 years. Neglecting a huge portion of their catalog. I feel that setlist bitching was a bit justified. Funny though, cause people were soo happy with the 2010 changes.

I think you gotta get kind of a thick skin if you are going to visit fan sites.

Fans is the craziest of peoples.

01-08-2012, 09:38 PM
i'd shit out my heart if they played cold and ugly

they opened with it on halloween back when i saw them on the lateralus tour.

needless to say, epic opener.

wes
01-08-2012, 09:39 PM
Hey aegean_okra put your other photo back up your beard is much cooler .

hellboy1975
01-08-2012, 10:16 PM
Personally if I were in a band I'd be much more interested in playing new stuff rather than old stuff.

01-08-2012, 10:34 PM
Hey aegean_okra put your other photo back up your beard is much cooler .

this.

01-08-2012, 10:35 PM
Personally if I were in a band I'd be much more interested in playing new stuff rather than old stuff.

personally, if i were in a band i'd be gettin a lot more pussy.

dan
01-08-2012, 11:09 PM

When you have a stadium full of people who paid $100 a ticket to see you, it's less about what you want and more about putting on a good show.

In Tool's case, I think that means playing older stuff.

dan
01-08-2012, 11:28 PM
I'm glad you recognize who is in your avatar! Man that island was a fucking puzzler.

When I go to see a band I love, I'm going to experience that love. That means a cross section of all albums, not just a bunch of songs from the recent album and a few historical selections. Particularly with Tool, where I enjoy their previous albums much more than their latest. They seem to do a decent job of blending their setlists though, even if said setlist remains more or less static throughout a given tour.

sonnyboy11
01-09-2012, 12:01 AM
When you have a stadium full of people who paid $100 a ticket to see you, it's less about what you want and more about putting on a good show.

In Tool's case, I think that means playing older stuff.

In Tool's case, they have made it clear it's as much about them as the fans. Just saying what they're doing musically is apparently working for them.

dan
01-09-2012, 12:09 AM
In Tool's case, they have made it clear it's as much about them as the fans. Just saying what they're doing musically is apparently working for them.

That's true. Perhaps, in Tool's case, it's first and foremost about the band.

sonnyboy11
01-09-2012, 12:12 AM
I think so. Makes them sound selfish, I guess. But didn't MJK once profess they'd always make music together as band? I think it has always been their top priority. Maynard, at least, has made it pretty clear he doesn't care what songs the fans want to hear.

That said, Puscifer was amazing a few weeks ago here in LA and he sounded great. What're ya gonna do?

dan
01-09-2012, 12:21 AM
I used to like when bands would play what they wanted to play and said fuck everyone else. But then I grew a little and wanted more of a two way relationship...

Which makes me happy that Pearl Jam got out of its "say no to everything, including fans" phase and started being really happy that they have tons of fans who love their music and give them the chance to play it all over the world. It makes each show that much better and more special when they are tailoring the setlist for that venue and for those fans. You can feel the happiness and love in the air.

It would be great to see Tool move toward something like that, but given the fanbase (angry meatheads fill up a lot of every show) and the band I don't know that this will ever happen.

sonnyboy11
01-09-2012, 12:51 AM
Pearl Jam are a great example of that attitude. I'd also have to give props to U2. Both deliver amazing live shows and have a firm understanding of how to please their fans. Are they pleased as musicians with the path they're on? From everything I have read, it seems like it. I just don't see Tool going down that same path. They want to be different.

I've said this in the past, but I sometimes wonder why Tool is so popular. They dabble in a niche genre (progressive rock), the lyrics aren't exactly easy to relate to, and, like we're talking about here, they don't look to make fans happy with their approach to the whole thing. They don't even have any new music out to promote... yet they can launch an "out of the blue" arena tour in smaller markets and know it will be profitable. Go figure.

merkaboy
01-09-2012, 01:45 AM

true dat

SilverGrudge
01-09-2012, 08:38 AM

IMO I think that's perfectly fine. Their shows now (compared to the 90's early 2k) are far more docile and a complete work of art. Tool shows are rarely brutal, and are quiet beautiful. It would be a great for a parent and daughter to experience together.

Aside from that, maybe some ear protection for the young ears?

dan
01-09-2012, 09:51 AM
I'd get seats away from any GA area. Too many idiots trying to mosh and start fights.

dan
01-09-2012, 09:53 AM

Interesting that he didn't even try to take set list complaints as constructive criticism. Nah, all the fans are wrong and should be happy with the same show over and over.

nusense
01-09-2012, 02:31 PM
Pretty sure it has a hell of a lot more to do with the tone and wording of the complaints than the complaints themselves existing.

At times this can be one of the whiniest fanbases I've seen. At least, the vocal contingent that goes on messageboards. The reception when they play live is obviously overwhelmingly positive.

hellboy1975
01-09-2012, 02:35 PM
Interesting that he didn't even try to take set list complaints as constructive criticism. Nah, all the fans are wrong and should be happy with the same show over and over.
Well to be fair, Junior really doesn't have anything to do with setlist choice.

Dylanja
01-09-2012, 03:35 PM
IT'S ALL JUNIOR'S FAULT! ALWAYS!!

kanaduh
01-09-2012, 03:40 PM

I would bet that Junior more than anyone else would have wanted a setlist change.

As Hellboy said, he probably has zero say in the matter.

nrca
01-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Well the Coachella rumor was all BS, line-up just got announced, no Tool (or any Maynard project). I'm not surprised at all, but do admit I was hopeful.

sonnyboy11
01-09-2012, 06:03 PM
IT'S ALL JUNIOR'S FAULT! ALWAYS!!

Seconded. Get it together Junior!

Well the Coachella rumor was all BS, line-up just got announced, no Tool (or any Maynard project). I'm not surprised at all, but do admit I was hopeful.

They ain't done with line up yet, that's for sure. Is Black Keys really a headliner at this point? No matter. The farkin undercard is a damn monster. Look at night two! Holy...

The Embryo 2
01-09-2012, 08:15 PM
Seconded. Get it together Junior!

They ain't done with line up yet, that's for sure. Is Black Keys really a headliner at this point? No matter. The farkin undercard is a damn monster. Look at night two! Holy...

fireHOSE, fireHOSE, fireHOSE, fireHOSE, fireHOSE, fireHOSE, fireHOSE,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YTbn8sEIQ0&feature=related

The Embryo 2
01-10-2012, 03:26 PM
I hope I don't accidentally post the set list in this thread rather than the other..

:)

jwb
01-10-2012, 08:02 PM
Hey,
Need a favor. If anyone here has skills (prior experience) with the Live Nation App, please PM me. I need to get a ticket for the Myrtle Beach Janes Addiction show. They go on sale this Saturday at 11am (EST), while I'm flying to Vegas for the TOOL show.
Shoot me a PM if you can help.
I thank you.

nrca
01-10-2012, 09:33 PM
I feel you, I'm gonna be on the train on my way From San Francisco to Reno when Puscifer SF date goes on sale. My friend's gonna get them for me, which is cool. That train doesn't have wireless. Some do, but not the one I'm on. Cant order over the phone cuz I'd have to say my phone number outloud, with everyone able to hear. Cool that planes are starting to have wireless so you can get those tix while flying to Vegas.

Ganjalf
01-11-2012, 12:14 AM
Not going to lie I'm glad I'm not going to the 14th/15th shows. Playoff time :D.

kanaduh
01-11-2012, 01:51 AM
Not going to lie I'm glad I'm not going to the 14th/15th shows. Playoff time :D.

ahhhh, the never ending struggle between sports and tool...

jwb
01-11-2012, 05:45 AM

It's doable...
SATURDAY
Arrive in Vegas: 12 noon (PST)
Taxi to hotel: 1pm
Run down to the Caesars sportsbook in time to put wager in: 1:20
Kickoff for early game: 1:30 (PST)
Chase early game loss at Caesars Sportsbook: 4:30
Kickoff for late game: 5:00 (PST)

SUNDAY
Hit buffet: 9am
Put a parlay in at Caesars because money is getting low from Saturday's losses: 9:45am
Kick-off for early game: 10am (PST)
Put final wager in for the weekend (NYG+8): 1pm (PST)
Pre-show drinking / drowning sorrows: 5:30pm
TOOL: 8pm

sonnyboy11
01-11-2012, 08:27 AM
Is there a better place to watch the playoffs than Vegas?? Not that I am aware of. Unless you are actually going to the game. In which case I understand completely.

The Embryo 2
01-11-2012, 09:30 AM
Hey,
Need a favor. If anyone here has skills (prior experience) with the Live Nation App, please PM me. I need to get a ticket for the Myrtle Beach Janes Addiction show. They go on sale this Saturday at 11am (EST), while I'm flying to Vegas for the TOOL show.
Shoot me a PM if you can help.
I thank you.

Just sent a PM - HOT!!

jwb
01-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Just sent a PM - HOT!!

Thanks bud. It worked perfectly, I think.
Put 3 tickets in my cart and got a confirmation email. I can't believe they are playing such a small place only an hour from my house.

Ganjalf
01-11-2012, 10:33 AM

I don't even remember anyone being brutal to Junior. I'm pretty sure everyone was pretty kind to the man.

Dylanja
01-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Pretty sure 200L is primarily guilty for throwing the thread into a tizzy.

Dude's been dodging my PM's for over a year now. Like he has a life or something....

begmetostay
01-11-2012, 11:24 AM
Pretty sure 200L is primarily guilty for throwing the thread into a tizzy.

Dude's been dodging my PM's for over a year now. Like he has a life or something....

LOL 2ool was definitely bringing the hate, but Ganjalf is right. nothing was really geared toward JR.

The Embryo 2
01-11-2012, 11:43 AM
Thanks bud. It worked perfectly, I think.
Put 3 tickets in my cart and got a confirmation email. I can't believe they are playing such a small place only an hour from my house.

awesome. I used to hang with Perry back in the day, I'm glad he is back on the scene but I'm not sure what to think about this new album.

as far as Junior goes, there was some serious slamming of MJK (some of it well deserved) in addition to the setlist complaints. He may have gotten tired of seeing his friends getting dumped on.

but like i said, if you come to a fan forum (one with an especially passionate and loyal fanbase) you gotta develop kind of a thick skin.

The Embryo 2
01-11-2012, 01:10 PM
Is there a better place to watch the playoffs than Vegas?? Not that I am aware of. Unless you are actually going to the game. In which case I understand completely.

RENO!!

JK

Gnosis Ordo
01-11-2012, 01:17 PM
I'll be at the Feb 3 Hampton show , I hope to get my money's worth. I have seen Tool 4 other times and have never been disappointed , but this one was by far the most I have spent. And yeah I'm a fanboy for seein them what will 5 times and seeing APC twice.

hellboy1975
01-11-2012, 02:33 PM
I don't even remember anyone being brutal to Junior. I'm pretty sure everyone was pretty kind to the man.
I don't think it was people being direct upset with Junior that was the issue. He just got sick of the complaints about Tool, and decided he had better things to do than log in and read them.

ScubaTwinn
01-12-2012, 01:15 PM
Hello. This 51 year old girl has been a Tool fan forever but this will be my first time seeing them. I'll be going to the Orlando show and cannot wait!