PDA

View Full Version : just a maybe

reroute2remain
12-13-2002, 12:35 AM
hey, this is my first post, and i've spent a lot of time reading a lot of things here with my friend. He personally hates this song, but i like it just as much as any tool song. His complaint is with the lyrics. i personally don't think it matters much about what he says. i think it may reflect text painting, when an artist uses the words to illustrate an action (i.e., if it's autumn and the leaves are falling, they may state "look at the leaves" while singing in descending intervals, or singing in stacatto, increasing in tempo, steadily crescendoing patterns to demonstrate a storm coming). Maynards voice starts out moderately strong, then by the second verse you can here it become weaker, and eventually into a completely soft part. Then a metaphysical second wind comes at the end when he becomes loud and firm again. I take it to mean personally (so what i let it mean to me i guess) is that there are things pecking away at the person singing (big surprise there, and who says maynards singing as himself?), until the essence of whatever kept him alive (blood, karma, semen) has been extracted completely. it's slightly vampiric (i think their are hints to this in the patient, and possibly a correlation). Then at the end, the person either becomes what's attacking him or is reborn (a pheonix "or some other city in arizona"-death to smoochy), letting the ticks and leeches know he's back, and either he's been released by the action to come back and challenge what made him (or her, i'm terrible about that) what he/she is now, or has been turned into the same thing, but is also in turn stronger.

these may not be original ideas on here, but i like them, and they're mine... so feedback is mucho cool. if it sounds similar to anything anyone else has said, please direct me to them.

also, if you're in to metal, i just picked up in flames's reroute to remain, and (as it's probably obvious) it grew on me instantly.

so thanks

r2r