PDA

View Full Version : What I think a 3rd eye is....

Kid B
11-04-2003, 09:34 AM
This is my first post here so hello to everyone. I would like to start off with my favorite Tool song, third eye. I think there are a lot of definitions of a third eye. In psychology, the third eye or inner eye is referred to as the visuo-spatial scratch pad and is the imagination. In his CD 'Rant in E-Minor' Bill Hicks says that his third eye was 'squegeed quite cleanly' with the use of mushrooms. However I don't think this song is entirely about drug use or the imagination. I think its about a return to spirituality. The third eye (symbolic of spirit and conciousness) has been left and is now covered in 'webs' and 'dew', the way that anything left will get covered in dust. It has not been used in a long time and has to be 'pryed' open and with this the ego is sacrificed. Thats what I think this song is about, sacrificing the ego, opening up to love and finding that an old friend (possibly Bill Hicks) is on the other side waiting for you. It is also about putting yourself in the position of 'vulnerable open mindedness' as Tim Leary says on Salival. Just my thoughts, what do you think?

imtheism
11-06-2003, 08:17 PM
i'd say you're definitely on the right track with the spirituality thing. It's not about drugs, I can tell you that much :)

eslupminoyler
11-07-2003, 08:46 AM
a gateway to solace amidst chaos, a door or rift, plane of enlightenement, justification of liberation, emancipation from assimilation, instrument to crucify ego's, obliteration of present comfort in order to achieve comfort anywhere, pyshic source, senile blocked passage, e=mc(c), imagination and creativity enhancer, reason, negating reason, negating virtue and supplementing it, inevitable virtue, spiral, love and warmth indicator, open-minded to realize infancy state ineffectual state interdependent/one-mind state, means to an end to discover the beginning, relevance

Midwinter
11-09-2003, 08:40 AM
The 3rd eye is a chakra inbetween both of your physical eyes and up a bit. Whenever I hear this song it reminds me of an Out of Body experience..it's a very slow, dreamy sort of song. (And I see where you could mistake this for being about drugs..)

Personally my opinion is that the song refers to the loss of spirituality in these modern times - that there is so much out there that we can't touch or feel or see - and because of this, and the fact that we believe that we are the most intelligent thing ever created, we write these things off as not existing.

So open your third eye and take a look around.
You might be surprised.

~Mid.

Kid B
11-09-2003, 02:12 PM
[QUOTE=Midwinter]Personally my opinion is that the song refers to the loss of spirituality in these modern times - that there is so much out there that we can't touch or feel or see - and because of this, and the fact that we believe that we are the most intelligent thing ever created, we write these things off as not existing.

Yes I agree with you there, Mid. I have also read that the third eye is actually the pineal gland, and takes the geometric shape of the vesica piscis, which contains 'all the sacred information of the universe'.

The 'prying open my third eye' bit of the song could mean coming from a state of ignorance ie these 'modern times' that we live in and wanting desperately to sacrifice the ego and to the 'all knowing' part of us. I think this desperation to shed the ego is signified in the lyrics ('prying open....') and the screaming.

Mehhico
11-09-2003, 05:19 PM
Just as a side note, I originally thought Maynard was saying "prana over my third eye", and it seemed to make even more sense as I was reading Frissells book (Nothing in this book is true...............) and researching Sacred geometry. Its no big deal, just a misunderstanding of the lyrics, .............or was it?

Supposedly, we should be breathing in prana, or energy, as well as air when we breathe. Since we have not been breathing with prana, which comes from just above the head, straight down through your body, passing through the chakra points, to just below the feet, our third eye has become withered.

BTW, has anyone else been trying the breathing techniques documented in Frissells book? It seems quite difficult, but I suppose with time, it will become easier. I haven't had much time to really get into meditation, which is kind of a dilemma, eh? Dang our consumer habituals, I got to get out of here.

Regards,
Andy

g-bay-be
11-09-2003, 07:56 PM
Third eye????? hmmm. in world history we were studing hinduism and i believe it was vishnu... her body was blue! and she had a third eye the pointed inward. it is said we all have that third eye that looks at your soul!

eek
11-20-2003, 09:42 PM
Third eye????? hmmm. in world history we were studing hinduism and i believe it was vishnu... her body was blue!

"Bright and blue and shimmering"?

I'd missed that one. Thanks.

uhh...fork?
03-05-2004, 06:31 PM
Third eye????? hmmm. in world history we were studing hinduism and i believe it was vishnu... her body was blue! and she had a third eye the pointed inward. it is said we all have that third eye that looks at your soul!
*Google search, Vishnu*

uhh...fork?
03-05-2004, 06:40 PM
hmm.... you might have hit something there g-bay-be