PDA

View Full Version : Really Disturbing

jeffn9
11-02-2003, 12:13 PM
The sound at the beginning of Intolerance is the sound of someone in one of those old diving suits, you know the ones with the helmets that have the hose attached to them and it's hooked up to a pump to keep the air flwoing to the diver. The sound is someone in one of those suits unerwater and he's breathing and then all of a sudden the pump dies and the diver can't breathe, that's why it sputters at the end. It's, in essence, it's the diver drowning because he can't breathe. When I first heard this explanation and then listened to the song it really kinda freaked me out. Now that you've read this go listen to it and tell me it doesn't scare you!

Drukety Drukety Drunked
11-08-2003, 07:51 AM
I think someone's talked about this before

uhh...fork?
03-07-2004, 06:19 PM
Now that you've read this go listen to it and tell me it doesn't scare you!
It doesn't scare me

AllforUnity
03-08-2004, 12:17 PM
So Jeff, are you some type of diving suit expert or something? Or are you just taking the idea from the FAQ site and claiming it as your own?

Luna Galapogos
03-10-2004, 11:43 AM
I must say, I am not one for taking other people's thoughts and ideas, especially when those named thoughts are easily accessible to the people you are telling them to.
But, I do think that it is an interesting thought to think about. I think that it fits with the rest of the album. I think that water is used by the band on a number of occasions to fit the purpose of cleansing and washing away, that sort of thing. Like Ænima for example, a soul cleanse.
I do think that you should come up with your own ideas however, and that way you can develop, learn, and become a guru of your own mind.

AllforUnity
03-10-2004, 12:25 PM
Yeah...l think it fits the album well also...but, personally, l would have said "l agree with the FAQ site...l think it's a..." blah blah. l dunno. Sometimes it just bothers me when people take ideas and act like it's their own. l wouldn't want them doing that to me.

Undertolerance
03-29-2004, 04:55 PM
That is some interesting insight into the noise. However I have always heard it as a old motor boat that doesn't seem to want to start. Spudder, spudder, putt, putt...

AllforUnity
03-31-2004, 12:15 PM
That's an interesting idea. l don't know what the sound is. l just want to ask Maynard.

Darkest Day 87
04-01-2004, 07:05 AM
That's an interesting idea. l don't know what the sound is. l just want to ask Maynard.

I agree with the last post, he probably would not tell you, but instead give you a verbal run around.. or just look at you.. so it's pointless..

But back to the topic.. I really don't thing this noise is disturbing at all.. it's just weird.. and since it's low, I forget how loud the cd player is, and I usually damn near deafen myself.. the same goes for "Sweat"

AllforUnity
04-01-2004, 04:19 PM
Yeah most likely. Unless l got in drunk or something.

Raev'n
05-30-2004, 03:20 AM
He he... Have you read the Tintin book: red Rackhams treasure or something? Its about that anyways... The same thing happens to him... MAybe tool are closet fans of Tintin?

g-bay-be
06-18-2004, 02:23 PM
Hmmm the drowning idea fits well with the water referance

caught_in_the_undertow
07-27-2004, 12:17 AM
i really don't think it's that disturbing. to me it sounds like someone blowing bubbles in some milk through a straw.

thundergod
07-28-2004, 03:42 PM
it actually sounds like a water pipe kinda which would fit the songs idea of no one is innocent. i dunno just an idea but the bubbles in the milk sounds more plausible.

IC
08-04-2004, 05:40 AM
id rather know how to get that awesome guitareffect???drumsample??? at the begining of Stinkfist

Undertolerance
08-11-2004, 09:47 PM
Yeah as far as the noise being scary, I think not in the slightest. Interesting and intriguing but far from be frightening. It sure as hell peeks my curiousity.

DamianIsMahDream
09-08-2004, 03:06 PM
Or it's just a sound, and no one is meant to discover it's whereabouts!!!!!!! AHAHAHAHA. Or a boat. Sorry.. I don't try to dissect Tool's songs, makes it less enjoyable, especially since Maynard leaves everything up to the listeners to make there own decision... Isn't that what Tool stands for? Isn't that the freaking point???

~Zeratul~

Raev'n
09-09-2004, 02:47 PM
But then again it's also fun...

Machiavelli70
09-16-2004, 06:17 PM
The only tool track that freaks me out is Ceasaro Summability

Ghostwriter
06-20-2007, 05:27 PM
Pretty creepy. The other Tool songs that creep me out are Viginiti Tres, Ceasaro Summability, and especially Faip De Oad...

get_born_again
01-03-2008, 06:12 PM
Yeah, Viginiti Tres freaks me out, big style-y.
Also, there is no sound on the beginning of Intolerance for me, it just starts the song as soon as I hit play. Fuck.

dxs
05-02-2008, 12:15 PM
The sound at the beginning of Intolerance is the sound of someone in one of those old diving suits, you know the ones with the helmets that have the hose attached to them and it's hooked up to a pump to keep the air flwoing to the diver. The sound is someone in one of those suits unerwater and he's breathing and then all of a sudden the pump dies and the diver can't breathe, that's why it sputters at the end. It's, in essence, it's the diver drowning because he can't breathe. When I first heard this explanation and then listened to the song it really kinda freaked me out. Now that you've read this go listen to it and tell me it doesn't scare you!

Huh, that is a good point.
Did you realize that the Undertow album does have repetitive references of water and drowning? That really makes your thoughts possibly right.

And those diving suits that you described---I have a word for it---a scuba suit. :D

Is that what you meant?

Rolo
05-03-2008, 07:11 PM
I think he meant something like this (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/47/Tritonia_Lusitania_1935.jpg)

Rolo
05-03-2008, 07:15 PM
there is no sound on the beginning of Intolerance for me, it just starts the song as soon as I hit play. Fuck.
Didn't you ever wonder why it takes a few seconds before the actual song starts? Turn the volume up and listen again.

On the other hand, you may have downloaded an MP-3 version of which these opening seconds have been cut off.

dxs
05-31-2008, 10:35 AM
I think he meant something like this (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/47/Tritonia_Lusitania_1935.jpg)

I love your links.

Inner_Eulogy
06-02-2008, 05:47 PM
I love your links.

....and he loves mah balls

thesleeper
12-16-2008, 03:21 PM
thats funny, here ive been thinking for years that it was a bong of somekind. guess im just a stoner and identified it with something i can relate with. never been in an old diving suit of anykind, never been diving before for that matter.... on my to do list right after flying a space shuttle.

and no that isnt sarcasm lol

ChaseNine
08-03-2009, 01:53 PM
Haha... Diving suit. Interesting.

Yeah... Maynard wouldn't tell you shit. Why does anyone think he would... :)