PDA

View Full Version : possibly floyd?

watchtheweather
12-12-2002, 05:53 PM
The concept of dispostion, reflection, and triad as a whole is a hard one to fathom. Not because the songs do not go good together that is not it at all. But not until you listen to these 3 (except not as three as a whole) will you begin to understand where tool is trying to settle. When Justin chancellor first joined the band in my eyes he brought a new (and much needed element) From the coming of aenima Tool was starting to seperate themselves from any other rock band. Aenima was very meldoic in its own since and was heavier than anything we had ever heard before. In the since of Danny Carry's powerful drumming. But i feel that lateralus is much different form aenima. Though both can be easily sperated as tool albums lateralus brought a new element to music that we havent seen since o i dont know maybe dark side of the moon? So this is were disposition, refelction, and triad come in to play. In my mind these three songs make this whole album (of course not taking anyhting away from the rest of the album) but after listening 2 this album when it comes to disposition it is one of the most beatiful 20 minutes of music ever. So hey tool i wouldnt mind having your next album be 80 minutes of songs that converge like these 3.

josh
12-12-2002, 10:32 PM
Interesting thoughts there.

As well as being a Tool fan, I am also a fan of Pink Floyd. So much so that i went to a Roger Waters concert earlier this year.

I can also see similarities in the music of Tool and Pink Floyd. I was reading a review of Lateralus and it liken the Disposition/Reflection/Triad song cycle to that of Pink Floyd's Echoes from their early album Meddle. When i listened to them closely i found that they had similar characteristic in the way they are constructed but not so much in sound. Both are quite lengthy. But the most major characteristic is the diversity of sound. Both have calming sections, and then a sudden twist into a more dark mood.

As with many bands there is a progression that can be seen when all the albums are listen to in chronological order. This stands out in the case of Tool. So its really no wonder that there is a distinctive different in sound between Aenima and Lateralus.

Well, theres my two cents. Take care of yourselves and each other.

rickiep00h
12-14-2002, 11:25 PM
Well, I agree Floyd and Tool are similar.

Both completed an album (and change) with one member, and then replaced him.

Both had enormous stylistic shifts between albums 2 and 3 (Ænima and Lateralus, Saucerful of Secrets and Atom Heart Mother, as far as pure studio orignal, non-soundtrack albums are concerned).

So they sorta have some more settling to do before they hit stride, a double ablum to do, a movie, and one of the band members has to be convinced that he is Tool, and they'll be one in the same! ;)

aethereddy
12-15-2002, 06:32 PM
as a fan of both pink floyd and tool, i can see the similarities previously mentioned. there is something to be said for bands that can jam for 10+ minutes on albums; most band's ideas are either never fully realized, or are too shallow to spend more than 2:30 on them.

as far as dark side of the moon and disposition/reflection/triad go, they both segue beautifully within themselves, with the exception of the change of sides in dark side of the moon. each song is actually only a movement of the whole piece of music.

similar to these, but in one song are led zeppelin's live versions of dazed and confused, no quarter, and moby dick on the soundtrack from the film the song remains the same.

finally, i may be deluding myself, but i cannot see any member of tool becoming what roger waters was to pink floyd. i cannot recall any instance where any member of pink floyd was involved in a [side] project, whereas both maynard and danny are (apc and zaum, respectivley)

tiki_god7
12-17-2002, 12:07 AM
this is a little off the subject but its something I've noticed recently in tool. I saw my first Tool show last year when they were promoting Lateralus. Then again this year. The styles of the shows seemed to change a little bit. The more recent show has taken on a more psychelic approach almost. The transission from Aenima and Lateralus could be used as evidence. I definatly wouldn't mind if this is the next step in the bands evolution. Anybody else think Tool might be taking a more psychelic approach as apposed to a more rock based?

rickiep00h
12-19-2002, 10:14 AM
I think you mean "psychedelic", and yes. They have gotten quite a bit more "trippy" with lateralus.

But DSOTM is pretty damn trippy, too.

The similarities between the two bands are rather interesting, and I think that the only thing that Tool can do is get better.

And I can't see anyone doing what Roger did, because no one is a concieted asshole, either. Sorry... a WHINY concieted asshole. I don't think Maynard is going to make 2+ albums about how the war took his daddy, and he's not going to elevate HIMSELF to "rock god" status, or question whether it's right or wrong to loathe your fans and then make a WHOLE DOUBLE ALBUM about it. Roger Waters was a self-important pompus ass most of the time, and I don't think anyone in Tool is like that. But I could be wrong, I've never met them, or heard more than interviews from them. Maybe if they try to fuck each other over...

Headmusic
12-23-2002, 10:47 AM
It's cool to see others making the connection between Tool and Floyd. I grew up on Floyd. They were the only true band in my opinion. There were others that I liked, others that inspired me, but none that were even in the same league as far as I was concerned.
That is, until I found Tool. Tool was the first big money band I've found since to carry the same spirit. You know with each new album that you're going to experience something new and thought/emotion prevoking.
On this last leg of the tour I caught Tool in Ft. Worth, TX. A friend of mine that was originally supposed to go was the one that first introduced me to Tool. The guy that ended up taking his ticket liked Tool, but was unwilling to accept anyone other than Floyd as the quenicential band. Now I had caught a couple of shows during the first leg of the Laturalus Tour so I had an idea of what to expect, while my friend had not seen them since Lollapalooza. Needless to say we were both blown away.
I was fortunate enough to see 'Pink Floyd' (in quotes because of the lack of Roger) in '94, which of course is the last time they have toured. So I know what a real visual display at a concert can be like. My Floyd-freak friend was not so lucky. We've often talked about how cool it would have been to catch them in their prime. Of course, that time is gone.
After the show, this friend, this diehard, make no exception Floyd fan, turned to me and said that Tool has officially taken the torch that Floyd left when they split. I know that was hard for him to say. We spent hours that night discussing how lucky we were to see Tool in their prime, here and now, and how this makes up for all of the Floyd shows that we didn't get to see before.
Tool is officially the Pink Floyd of our generation. A group of extremely talented, like-minded musicians who constantly resist the status quo and push the boundaries of music and art. Many bands have tried, but none have been able to carry on this long this successfully. Yet while we know how Floyd's final days played out, Tool's future is still unwritten. I'm excited to see where they go from here.
I'm also excited to see a rise in understanding from those around me that it's not necessary to conform to the accepted ways of doing things, whether it be writing music, making movies, writing books, painting, whatever... Pink Floyd was the band that inspired me to start writing music. More specifically, David Gilmore was my inspiration to play guitar. Now Tool continues to inspire me in my writings. I can only hope that some kid out there somewhere is taking all of this in so that maybe they'll be the next one to carry that torch. Somebody needs to be that outlet of true art that manages to break through this endless barrage of crap that we're saturated with on a daily basis.
The tide is slowly turning. You can feel it. You see it in the massive independent film industry. You see it in the .com music production companies. The signs are out there. A new generation of artists are waking up to this world that we've been hanging on to for so long, and they're emerging. The fact that Tool is as big and successful as they are is proof of that. Keep it going. Spiral out.

elevated
12-27-2002, 01:21 PM
great post headmusic! i only had the chance to see tool once on the lateralus tour in houston.great show but maynard must not have had a good night because he walked off stage halfway through the patient (but the boys finished the rest)and they didnt play reflection all together.and on the way there my friends and me took x and this one guy really tripped out (i guess because it was his first time) but shit x is just fun.anyway, we didnt see the first half of the show walked in right when the patient was playing. i still loved every minute of it, the crowd was great beautiful experience nontheless.

George Bush Sr.
12-28-2002, 09:48 AM
the odd sound at the beginning of lateralus and the end is probably inspired by the very same sound on floyd's wish you were here album

rickiep00h
01-06-2003, 06:14 PM
I'm not sure exactly what sound you're going for, as there really isn't a sound at the end of Lateralus. The sound of the call ending is as I assume the actual call ended (I don't know, I haven't heard the original), as it sounds like a satellite cutting out.

The one at the beginning also sounds like the machines in "Welcome to the Machine", but I'm guessing both the reasoning behind the sound, and the sounds themselves are different.

Interesting point though.

George Bush Sr.
01-06-2003, 09:52 PM
I know there isn't a sound like the one on the beginning after the art bell clip but it's on the cd again. you have to excuse my mistake, after all i am an ex-president

Valkyrie
01-11-2003, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by rickiep00h
[SNIP]
So they sorta have some more settling to do before they hit stride, a double ablum to do, a movie, and one of the band members has to be convinced that he is Tool, and they'll be one in the same! ;)

Don't fucking say that. You're scaring me. First off you tempt me with an excitingly hopeful double album [I can't even fathom if Tool would do that. I sense a wall they may hit creatively in terms of carrying the album progression (Aenima jumping to Salival to Lateralus) into higher ascensions] A movie? Egh...that would push it. And finally, I kind of could see Maynard stating something quasi-deitic and claim that he is the spine of Tool. Consequently all other band members are regarded "tittius" and a solo album is created (feat. R.Waters)

[shudder]

kcweed420
04-19-2003, 09:50 AM
Pink Floyd and Tool r very much alike i think........i love them both equally and i think that tool is influenced by Floyd......I also compare Lateralus to Dark Side of The Moon........if u were going to own n e two albums in the world those would b the two that u must have to buy

aeonblue
04-19-2003, 10:11 AM
It's very funny that many people like both Pink Floyd and Tool, because my father is a big fan of Pink Floyd and he also likes a lot of Tool, I played Schism to him last year and he really loved it. These bands have a lot in common.