PDA

View Full Version : Explicit Lyrics on Lateralus

Fatman
11-01-2003, 02:42 AM
I'm sorry, I just saw a Explicit Lyrics sticker on Lateralus where as to my remembering, their is no swear words on the whole album?

jay-jay
11-01-2003, 03:06 AM
I’d say there’s some swearing going on in ticks and Leeches, if there’s none in there, then there’s none in the album.

Fatman
11-01-2003, 03:57 AM
ah yes there is sorry..

My blood is bruised and borrowed. You thievingp bastards.
You have turned my blood cold and bitter,
beat my compassion black and blue!

48&2
11-01-2003, 04:28 AM
also at the end of ticks and leeches if you turn it up REALLY loud you will hear someone say 'oh you fucking bastards'

jay-jay
11-01-2003, 05:04 AM
But explicit doesn’t necessarily have to be a swear word, the lyrics are harsh and straight forward, angry and what have you, which could be considered explicit.

Are the first words in TandL not “fucken…suuuuuuuuuck!”?

Fatman
11-01-2003, 05:17 AM
Suck and suuuuuuuck.
Suckin up all you can suckin up all you can suck and suck.
Workin up under my patience like a little tick.
Fat little parasite.

alobaraparabola
11-01-2003, 05:22 AM
Is that enough for a explicit lyrics sticker, though?

BackToMyKnees
11-01-2003, 05:39 AM
Plus, Tool has a history of vulgar language, so I wouldn't be surprised if the morons in charge of those ratings took that into acount. I mean, I think I saw a story on TV once where they put one of those stickers on a Frank Zappa album.

An entirely instrumental album.

alobaraparabola
11-01-2003, 05:46 AM
Depending on who's rating it, any occult themes may be "worthy" of a sticker maybe, even though it shouldn't.

jay-jay
11-01-2003, 05:57 AM
Maynards tone of voice is enough to get an explicit label.

Dejanol
11-01-2003, 08:29 AM
Taken all I can, taken all I can, we(?) can take.
Taken all you can, taken all you can fuckin' take

Lyrics section, check it out.

ihatemickjagger
11-01-2003, 08:35 AM
the Foo Fighters' One by One album, track 7 (Halo) "You keep fucking up" is CLEARLY audible, yet the cd has no explicit label on it. maybe tandl was thought to be about oral sex

Fatman
11-01-2003, 09:04 AM
Ah, I was looking from another lyrics page

This is TSD one
Taken all I can, taken all I can, we(?) can take.
Taken all you can, taken all you can fuckin' take
Got nothing left to give to you.
Blood suckin parasitic little tick/blood suckin parasitic little tick
Take what you want and then go.

This is from a tool fan site
Taken all I can taken all I can, we can take. Taken all you can taken all you can, we can take.
Got nothing left to give to you.
Blood suckin parasitic little blood suckin parasitic little blood suckin parasitic little tick!
Take what you want and then go.

Mojo
11-01-2003, 09:10 AM
It's still stupid. One swear word doesn't get an explicit label.

empty_blanket
11-01-2003, 09:24 AM
It's a sticker. Peel it off.

BackToMyKnees
11-01-2003, 09:57 AM
As far as the Toolband lyrics go, they also say "Wear YOUR grudge like a crown" for The Grudge, which is clearly not what he's saying.

Plus they have question marks in their lyrics too, so they could be wrong about the F word in T&L.

eulogy508
11-01-2003, 10:00 AM
I'm sorry, I just saw a Explicit Lyrics sticker on Lateralus where as to my remembering, their is no swear words on the whole album?

I've never seen an Explicit Lyrics sticker on lateralus, but things might be different in Australia

nthistogether
11-01-2003, 10:08 AM
A bowt Lateralus again a few weeks ago, and Lateralus was still misspelled on the back.
Yay for me.
Wasn't it suppossed to changed?

holy reality
11-01-2003, 10:08 AM
We all know the lyrics section is accurate.*

Why don't you LISTEN son, there is no fucking way he's saying fucking unless the entire "fuckign" has been so distorted and garbled and warped that it sounds like "we've taken all we can we can take" or "we've taken all we can we can tick"

because I do not for the life of me, even using my imagination, hear a fuck in that garbled set of words.

BackToMyKnees
11-01-2003, 10:15 AM
We all know the lyrics section is accurate.*

Why don't you LISTEN son, there is no fucking way he's saying fucking unless the entire "fuckign" has been so distorted and garbled and warped that it sounds like "we've taken all we can we can take" or "we've taken all we can we can tick"

because I do not for the life of me, even using my imagination, hear a fuck in that garbled set of words.

I heard and could tell he was saying fuckin' long before I read any lyrics anywhere. Maybe you should take your own advice and LISTEN "son".

I think this:
"Taken all we can, taken all we can, we can take."

Doesn't make nearly as much sense as this:

"Taken all we can, taken all we can fuckin' take.

Chuckie
11-01-2003, 10:22 AM
The lateralus I bought and the lateralus cd's around the one I bought didnt have a sticker.

hmmmm.

kinda shitty when they all of a sudden decide to put the stickers on the cd well after it's release

holy reality
11-01-2003, 10:29 AM
I heard and could tell he was saying fuckin' long before I read any lyrics anywhere. Maybe you should take your own advice and LISTEN "son".

I think this:
"Taken all we can, taken all we can, we can take."

Doesn't make nearly as much sense as this:

"Taken all we can, taken all we can fuckin' take.
when is maynard required to make sense?

unless i have a magic version of lateralus there is no fuck in there, i'll go rip the thing off my cd and slow that part down and mess with it one day if i want to.

and they didn't just start putting stickers on it, there have been a few threads about this a long time ago, i guess it just depends on where you get them from.....

Penguin
11-01-2003, 10:41 AM
also at the end of ticks and leeches if you turn it up REALLY loud you will hear someone say 'oh you fucking bastards'

I don't think that's true. I've turned it up extremely loud AND checked it out in an audio editor... and nothing's there...

BackToMyKnees
11-01-2003, 10:44 AM
when is maynard required to make sense?

I guess you don't understand anything I say unless I ramble on about for 5 minutes without actually saying anything (not to make accusations or anything).

It doesn't make as much grammatical sense.

UncnciousShadow
11-11-2003, 01:46 PM
I dont think saying fuck a few times and singing in an angry tone can get an explicit lyrics sticker. I have plenty of cds that say fuck more and dont have one. I dont know why this would.

crow011
11-11-2003, 04:19 PM
is metal, is explicit . . .

thats how cencors work . . .

peace and blessed be . . .

crow011 . . .

Mehhico
11-11-2003, 10:19 PM
Yeah, the record store probably just read that Anti-Tool site and..............bam...........put a sticker on the album.

faceless other
11-21-2003, 09:08 PM
I got the album from wal-mart (ya, uber cencor store, didnt want to get it there). And I did not get the "parental advisory" (they dont sell albums that have that slaped on it, damn cencors).
As for the elusive "fuck", I can hear a distorted sound where the suposid "fuck" should be, it could be there, but cencored.
Has tool ever played Ticks & Leaches live? If so, it could be figured out that way.
As for content, Rage against the machine's battle of LA album was not PA:EL, and it had by far "explicit" lyrics, anti government, religious insults, and a lot of "bad" words.
But then an album gets slaped with that "warning" for having "mother fucker" and the only "bad" word in it. Fickled cencores.
I will think we will never know.

Cheesebodia
01-22-2011, 12:02 PM

I realize that this question was asked 8 YEARS ago, but I actually have the definitive answer.
I have a supreme quality copy of Lateralus. I also have in my possession a piece of technology which wasn't around in 2003: Bose 5.1 Acoustic Noise-Cancelling headphones. These are the very top-of-the-line, and are known for having the best audio quality yet invented. I listened through "Ticks and Leeches", and can say without a doubt that it doesn't swear. I can hear the words plain as day, and I'm not mistaken.

I'm glad we finally have the means to discern this.
The explicit label should be removed.