PDA

View Full Version : bound

Lateralareallofus
06-10-2011, 12:56 PM
They are bound to divide it right in two
they are bound to beat a brother down

I think there is supposed to be somewhat of a double meaning with the word, 'bound'. It means that humans are most likely going to act in a violent nature since they always have and always will. but i think it also means 'bound' as in 'tied down' or 'to bind'. we are chained down by ourselves and act in selfish and stupidly violent ways. but we need to break the chain. cut it right in two. I think this song is saying that if we break and divide everything then we might as well break the chain and divide ourselves from that which is wrong and move toward higher ground. Its the tug of war that we all have within ourselves. someones gotta win it.

F1ugtier
07-01-2011, 10:09 AM
I disagree. As the lyrics say "Where there's one they're bound to divide it right in two." it seems to me that "bound" should be used as a synonym for "doomed".
I think the song is more likely suggesting that cutting something in two is always a bad thing, as mankind should be united in "one mind" rather than being individuals following their own needs.
The "Cut it right in two" part, then would just be a massive amount of sarcasm, like Maynard's saying "Come on dumbass cut it right in two like the Neanderthals would do."

InertUniformity
07-01-2011, 11:41 AM
I think the song is more likely suggesting that cutting something in two is always a bad thing, as mankind should be united in "one mind" rather than being individuals following their own needs.

My favorite song from 10kd. And this is basically my interpretation as well.

We all have our own interpretations though. I'm a huge proponent of non-aristotalian logic (that is, systems of logic which permit "gray areas", or uncertainty, more generally) and I always thought that Right in Two pays tribute to the idea of super-determinism or perhaps even indeterminism.

As Alan Watts once pointed out, the human being is inseparble from his environment. Therefore we must consider the human being and his environment to be a single system of energry, an "organism-environment". When the human organism is not conscious of this fact, he exists at variance to his surroundings, splitting himself Right in Two.

And yes, at a fundamental level the same concept can be applied to human consciousness, at least I think.