PDA

View Full Version : This song is incredible

05-30-2011, 11:24 PM
I'm sorry, but I just have to say it. The Grudge is a really good song, even by Tool's standards. It happens to be one of my favorites by the band... probably in my top 3. Incase anyone cares to know why, it's because I can't imagine anyone else coming up with a song like this. The way it's constructed musically and the message it holds spiritually is more thought provoking than any religion or deity. Yeah, I'm not religious but thats besides the point. Spiritually, this song holds deep meaning for me, especially right now. My Zodiac sign is Libra and right now Saturn is in my sign for these next three years, so when the song says

"Saturn comes back around to show you everything
Let's you choose what you will not see and then
Drags you down like a stone or lifts you up again
Spits you out like a child, light and innocent."

I totally get what this holds for me, I better be ready to face whatever may come otherwise Saturn will wipe its white glove over me and if it finds any dirt then my life will take a turn for the worst. So I must be strong and I must stay true to myself otherwise I may just end up humbled again.

But I'm getting off topic, this song has everything I could ever hope to value in a song, a message that everyone should eventually come to learn and understand at some point in their life, and learn that we are all human and we can't help our past and thats just okay. Forgive, forget, learn from our experiences and carry on.... or allow the world to carry on without us as we dwell on ourselves over unecessary bullshit that holds nothing for our future.

The song also has a very intricate bass/guitar line... I don't even wanna know how Tool came up with all that craziness yet THE WAY THIS SONG WAS CONSTRUCTED SEEMS COMPLETELY NATURAL. I'm sorry if I'm sounding a bit weird with that line, but I'm a bassist and started learning this song the other day. While I'll probably never have the ending down due to all the ridiculous timing at the end with that epic Danny Carey fill, I did learn most of the song and even though the part seems like it would be really obscure and almost IMPOSSIBLE to imagine... it somehow all feels right, and whenever I play it I feel like the song is resonating with me. I've played other Tool songs in the past, but none hit home with me like this one did. I let go of whatever I may be holding on to in my concious and I slip into the music.... physically, mentally, spiritually. Tool is the only band who could make me feel this way, and The Grudge in particular is a very representative song by them that does just that. Free yourself from yourself. Okay, that line was taken from another Tool song but I think everyone gets the idea. Does anyone out there feel like The Grudge has a meaning for them on a deeper level than what the obvious message is suggesting?

I Feed On Life
02-06-2012, 03:10 PM
I agree. I love it how the band sort of trails off in their own direction during the last 30 seconds or so before coming back perfectly in unison. Masterpiece.

THUNDERCHODE
07-25-2014, 08:50 AM
You and I are, in this regard, of like mind. I have found this to be very rare for me. As I've seen thus far in my life, there are not many of us present in this life. I am very happy to know that you exist. I have my feelings on The Grudge, but for now, no time to write them. I will return soon.