PDA

View Full Version : a new opinion

xoanon
05-30-2011, 10:50 AM
This track seems to be the most contentious so this is the only track ill post for now. I wont post an entire dissection, just some key observations.

The transition from Parabola to T&L, with the drumming, is like an alarm clock, forcing "you", the conscious self, awake. The aggression and lyrics launch an attack on our ego/conscious self - "Hope this is what you wanted, Cos this is what youre getting". I heard the lyrics as "my FRIEND bruised and borrowed", and i feel this relates to the unconscious self. The soft interlude brings back the unconscious self. The unconscious says "you hurt me" to the conscious self. The almost inaudible yelling nonsense is the unconscious hearing the conscious self's aggression (not sure if this is a reply to the unconscious' "..hurt me", suppressing it, or just witnessing the external aggression). The throbbing drum beat toward the end symbolizes the battle, killing of the ego, driving it away.

But this is just my observation and i may be wrong ...

Lateralareallofus
05-30-2011, 09:47 PM
No i like this interpretation. I totally feel this same message and meaning after relistening. The soft part has a reflective and withdrawing feel to it. The aggression in this song is an assault on the evil, the draining negative aspects of oursleves.

06-02-2011, 05:15 PM
I always thought this song was directed at the lawyers and at Tool's record label (at the time) back when the whole lawsuit ordeal was taking place between AEnima and Lateralus which lead to the five year gap between the two albums. It took up so much time and drained the charisma of the band to the point where fans feared they were going to break up. If you read the lyrics it is very believable that the "Ticks and Leeches" are the people who were responsible for "sucking [the band] dry"

xoanon
07-15-2011, 08:45 PM
I always thought this song was directed at the lawyers and at Tool's record label (at the time) back when the whole lawsuit ordeal was taking place between AEnima and Lateralus which lead to the five year gap between the two albums. It took up so much time and drained the charisma of the band to the point where fans feared they were going to break up. If you read the lyrics it is very believable that the "Ticks and Leeches" are the people who were responsible for "sucking [the band] dry"

i can understand where youre coming from, but tool tend to leave significant gaps between albums. id believe it to be about a failed relationship before i submit to the idea of a song about jerks suing the band making its way on this album.

only my opinion though!