PDA

View Full Version : Better than the originals.

max2196
11-19-2002, 11:55 AM
To take Led Zeppelin and make it sound better is a feat that most mainstream musicians couldn't hope to do. The first time I heard Tools cover of No Quarter I was blown away at how much better it sounded than the original. In fact, all the covers that I have heard Tool do (you lied, commando, and I think it was comfortably numb) have all sounded better in my opinion than the originals. Now it could be my biased attitude that Tool is the greatest thing to happen to music in the past 10 years but I've played it for other musicinas who aren't toolheads like me and they agreed that "yeah, that sounds pretty damn good." I don't believe Tool is invincible,(hell, go to www.deadohiosky.net may 4th in austrailia-46&2 and you'll hear maynards voice crack) but their damn near close.

Rajan
11-19-2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by max2196
To take Led Zeppelin and make it sound better is a feat that most mainstream musicians couldn't hope to do. The first time I heard Tools cover of No Quarter I was blown away at how much better it sounded than the original. In fact, all the covers that I have heard Tool do (you lied, commando, and I think it was comfortably numb) have all sounded better in my opinion than the originals. Now it could be my biased attitude that Tool is the greatest thing to happen to music in the past 10 years but I've played it for other musicinas who aren't toolheads like me and they agreed that "yeah, that sounds pretty damn good." I don't believe Tool is invincible,(hell, go to www.deadohiosky.net may 4th in austrailia-46&2 and you'll hear maynards voice crack) but their damn near close.

i think that teh no quarter comparison is difficult consderingthe recording technoloy back then, also as with tool covers they are quite quitre diffrent in style than the orignal songs and even though they are covers, arent really good to compare, i dont really like teh command coverm the you lied cover i perfer, spasm isnt half bad either, i was that at canebrra gig (thast the one i think you are pointng towards) and went to 4 gigs on that tour, they screw up it happens, helps prove they aren't playing from dat

Rajan

Acrylamid
11-20-2002, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by max2196
and I think it was comfortably numb
According to www.tooldiscography.com , this one is a fake:
"Tool has never performed or recorded a cover version of Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb". Versions available are (apparently) a mislabelled demo version of the song by Pink Floyd guitarist David Gilmour."
But I agree, Tool's No Quarter is even better than the original version.

max2196
11-20-2002, 11:40 AM
I agree that the recording equipment is much better now but I think if you gave Limp Bizkit the best equipment in the world they couldn't come close to even doing Zeppelin justice. I just saw tool live last night in phoenix for the 3rd time and I've seen a video of pink floyd live and I have to say that Tool is the pink floyd of our metal generation. No one comes close to what they pull off live. Every single person that goes to a tool concert that's never seen them before always comes away with the same thing, "that was the best fucking concert I've ever been too." Or something along those lines. I've got a friend who's seen just about everyone mainstream comparable to tool (nin, rob zombie, alice in chains, rage, pearl jam, deftones, and bunch of other miscellaneous bands) and he says tool is the best live band he's seen. It's funny trying to explain a concert to someone whos never been. It's kinda like trying to explain an orgasm to someone who's never had one. You can't.

max2196
11-20-2002, 11:40 AM
I agree that the recording equipment is much better now but I think if you gave Limp Bizkit the best equipment in the world they couldn't come close to even doing Zeppelin justice. I just saw tool live last night in phoenix for the 3rd time and I've seen a video of pink floyd live and I have to say that Tool is the pink floyd of our metal generation. No one comes close to what they pull off live. Every single person that goes to a tool concert that's never seen them before always comes away with the same thing, "that was the best fucking concert I've ever been too." Or something along those lines. I've got a friend who's seen just about everyone mainstream comparable to tool (nin, rob zombie, alice in chains, rage, pearl jam, deftones, and bunch of other miscellaneous bands) and he says tool is the best live band he's seen. It's funny trying to explain a concert to someone whos never been. It's kinda like trying to explain an orgasm to someone who's never had one. You can't.

ProfoundHaytred
11-21-2002, 10:01 AM
Me and a couple friends had an intersting discussion about this like 3 weeks ago..the basis we were listeing to spasm by peach....then i turned on the tool version, NOW, i think that tool did that song justice in a way that not many band will ever be able to do, even though they've only played it once :(
now onto no quarter, its not as good as the original because its led-zep i mean cmon, how could you say that tool covered a led-zep song better than they coul play it, a little question...have any of you ever heard led-zep's no quarter live?????huh? well until you do dont judge based on only hearing the album version granted it still amazing...as for commando i mean i could cover the ramones but i dont think ANYONE would think that tool would play ramones....its to one dimensional....what else.....hm...what about the lyrics from sispicious minds in the extened version of stinkfist, and the extended version of prison sex's extra lyrics....well thats my honest opinion of things.....so please state how you feel.

"feels like im slippin' into a dream within a dream"

NoQuarter
11-21-2002, 02:19 PM
Led Zepplin's original version is great, but Tool's version is one of my favorite songs ever. They managed to recreate the song, and did so with their own signature flavor.

<marquee>A Beautiuf Song</marquee>.

idiotboy
11-21-2002, 11:53 PM
there's a line somewhere in tool's "no quarter" in which maynard holds the word "you" for a good 10 seconds but bends it to about 15 different notes up and down his range. forgive my ignorance for not knowing where it is. anyway, i must say that smooth shifting of the notes (that maynard seems to be the only man alive capable of) is some of his very best singing, if you ask me.

scorpioali
11-22-2002, 07:42 PM
i always thought that it would be sacrilege to think that the tool version of no quarter was better than led zeppelin's. now i feel better knowing that other people think feel the same way about the song.

Disasterpeice
11-23-2002, 04:38 PM
No Quarter has to be one of my favorite TooL songs of all time. it combines two of my favorite bands - TooL and Led Zeppelin. It's still sort of got it's Led-Zep-esque to it, since Zeppelin was also good adding that atmospheric tone to it, but it's also got that very destinctive TooL flavor to it - it's heavy and melodic, Maynard's vocals are just absolutely amazing, and the way the band works together is just flawless. Zeppelin was one of the biggest bands of their time, just as TooL is one of the biggest bands of our time.

To say that TooL's version is better than Zeppelin's original version isn't exactly fair in my opinion. Someone brought up the advances of recording technology, which would be a huge issue, because it brings up the difference in sound. But Zeppelin's version was different at the time - other bands were rockin' on 'bout sex (which Plant seemed to like to do alot as well) drugs and the such (which, again, Zeppelin also did), but they were also doing something completely different. While bands of their era were sticking with a well used formula, Zeppelin (and Pink Floyd) were exploring new territory. They were going out on a limb and risking their very carrier's as musicians doing this. If the public didn't like it, then they were pretty much SoL and out of the job. Zeppelin would've fizzled out and gotten buried under the rest of the crap that was coming out at the time (forgive me for you 60's-80's fans, but I'm not a huge fan of that era other than Zeppelin and a few other bands).

I feel like I'm just rambling now, so I'll just shut up after saying that both songs are pretty much equal (even tho TooL's sounds better). TooL incorporates the best of both worlds - visual and audio. They sound good, and their concerts look damned good (even tho I've missed them ALL THREE FREAKING TIMES THEY'VE COME TO SEATTLE IN THE PAST YEAR). They sort of mix the visual appeal of Pink Floyd and the mystical aura that surrounded Zeppelin - with their own signature TooL sound.

max2196
11-25-2002, 03:25 PM
I do come back to read what has been posted in view of my comments. Theres no other way to get a different perspective than to interact with others. I'm going to rant and rave so watch out. I believe Tool is THE band of our generation. I find that thier music is incredibly deep and complex, musically and lyrically. In my unimportant opinion I find them to be better than anyone out there right now wheter live or on cd. No other band of musicians makes me feel inspired to do something positve with the menial tedium that is my life. I only wish that I could share this inspiration with others they way they can. I remeber the exact moment I fell in love with the music: It was when I heard stinkfist and the line goes(as Im sure you all know) "how can this mean anything to me, if I don't feel a thing at all" That spoke volumes of what I was about. Together, those guy form a medium with which everyone can identify with : music. Everyone understands they way sound makes them feel. And to experience a tool concert you come away with a sense of holy shit that was fucking awesome! To amaze people into positivity is a unique factor that tool brings to the table. I rarely get very excited but everytime I've gone to see them (3) I always get as giddy as schoolgirl. I can hardly believe I'm going to see the creators of this monster that is Tool. I know someone will come back with other musicians who are better in their opinion or other artists who can pull off live what tool does or that I'm a mindless sheep who follows Reverand Maynard but If I were to meet them all I would say is thanks for the great music and keep it up.....oh and I would see if maynard had baked any of those cookies I keep hearing about.

Valkyrie
11-26-2002, 04:17 AM
I've heard both versions, and even with the vocal effects (which I think work well) Maynard comes out on top compared to Plant here. Plant's style of vocalization (ESPECIALLY when he sings "they chose the path where no one goes" ) Just seems too weakened for my tastes.

Tool's version is incredibly darker and there is a thicker, foggier atmosphere; it's not as light and colourful as LZ's version, but it's still full.

I'll grant the fact that it doesn't move as much as many (if not all) of the other Tool songs, and yes, it's length is seemingly unnecessary at times. Still, I enjoy this version and it remains one of my personal favourites for Tool.

(Also, I found the May 4th audio to be very...interesting. Almost dumbfounding and yet shockingly hilarious and embarrassing (I feel sympathy towards Maynard for that event, as I've shared a similar moment).)

TheHollow
11-26-2002, 05:30 AM
OK I personally think Zep is a bit over hyped. They're alright, but nowhere near Tool as far as musical genius goes. Page is the only Led Zep member that's got something exceptional to say as a musician, but still, I'd pick Adam's guitar playing over his any day. And Plant is NOWHERE near Maynard!

The only vocalist I personally think to be on about an equal basis as Maynard is Mike Patton. Everybody else is toooooooooooo "small".

max2196
11-26-2002, 11:20 AM
Yeah, I remeber when I heard the may 4th audio I couldn't believe it, I was thinking "No way Maynard just fucked up...did he?" I had to go back and listen to it a few times, it was pretty funny. But thats just once out of how many times he's sang that and all the other songs, when your fuck ups are so few and far between to be almost non existent it really dosen't matter all that much

flipmojo
11-29-2002, 07:55 AM
The biggest disadvantage, in comparing the versions, is with the vocals. When someone has a voice like Maynard, they can sing almost any song and make it better. It is because of their extraordinary range. The only way to have a song, that a good voice couldn't improve on, would be to produce vocals from a place where great range doesnt matter. Most fans of Tool seem to be really critical, in producing exact notes and flawless playing, so most may not agree with abstract vocals. Someone did say that Mike Patton may contend with Maynard though and he definitely has abstract vocals.

I prefer Tool's version of No Quarter.

megadan
12-04-2002, 11:00 AM
When I played this song for a friend of mine who's a huge Zeppelin fan, when it was over he said "Wow. I thought Tool was good before, but now i think they're amazing". And it takes a lot to impress this guy, he's pretty picky about his music. (he's a guitarist - the kind who solos for 12 minutes with no regard for the bassist's (my) fingers or any one else in the band)
Needless to say, the Tool version is amazing. It's the added ending that gets me. About 8 or 9 minutes in, when it goes heavy and maynards sings "locked in a place where no one goes" does it for me everytime. To me, they took an amzing song and made it better, and when starting from a song my a band as genious as Led Zep, that's a tough thing to do.

However, the one thing that i always considered was that there was no solo, per say, in the Tool version, not on the level of the Led Zeppeling solo anyway. Adam has never been one for soloing really, it wouldn't really fit with the band. But i wonder, could he have pulled it off?