PDA

View Full Version : schism

linnyisrael
04-14-2011, 09:34 AM
This song is about how no communication between couples can ruin a relationship. "Cold silence can atrophy any sense of compassion between supposed lovers" the answers are in the songs, you just have to listen.

Ravenpig
05-15-2011, 08:17 PM
I think it's about A Perfect Circle, or rather the problems that arose between Maynard and the guys when APC became an unexpectedly super popular band. I clearly remember reading an article in Spin around the time Lateralus came out where Adam stated that, at first, they had a problem with it. Things are much different now, of course, but not in the beginning.

06-02-2011, 05:31 PM
This song is about how no communication between couples can ruin a relationship. "Cold silence can atrophy any sense of compassion between supposed lovers" the answers are in the songs, you just have to listen.

I'll agree with the lack of communication bit, but this isn't just about couples and relationships, it's about our relationships with our neighbors, peers, and amongst nations. I really like this song because this and "Communication Breakdown" by Zeppelin are the two songs I've heard that really address the issue about humanity needing to hold on to our connections with everyone because that is the only thing we have to unify us as a whole. If we can't communicate to eachother properly then things start to fall apart and it could even mean the end of humanity.

slamminsalmon
06-02-2011, 06:29 PM
linny, i think it says "between supposed lovers, supposed brothers."

like stated above, its much more than a relationship between a couple. but all relationships. my cousins are fighting, and the longer they refuse talk to each other, the angrier and more hostile one speaks about the other.

it means if one has an issue with another dont just passively sit back and think your the victim. relationships with anyone take communication, patience, understanding, empathy, and love.

slamminsalmon
06-03-2011, 03:04 AM
sounds more like a cynical look at someones poor attempt at love to me.

06-04-2011, 06:24 AM
linny, i think it says "between supposed lovers, supposed brothers."

actually thanks to having played Guitar Hero World Tour (it has 3 Tool songs featured on it including Schism) the lyrics do repeat the line "Between supposed lovers" twice and there are no mention of "brothers" anywhere in the song (this surprised me because "brothers" are even in the official lyrics on this site).

slamminsalmon
06-04-2011, 09:33 AM
tool funs love to start sentences with "actually"

06-04-2011, 11:39 AM
tool funs love to start sentences with "actually"

was that supposed to say "tool fans"? and sorry didn't mean to sound like a smart ass, just thought I'd share what I knew heh.

slamminsalmon
06-04-2011, 12:06 PM
touche' douche'

06-06-2011, 11:22 PM
for the past few months i've been demonizing a former friend. he's now with my ex, and we stopped talking after he called me out on some bullshit and walked out with her. i talked to him for the first time in months a few days ago, and so much of the hostility and anger i had been harbouring towards him just faded away. i've always thought this song's message was pretty transparent, but now more than ever i see its relevance in my life.

This is exactly what makes Tool so great, aside from being a very gifted and talented group who are on a whole other level of the music spectrum from the rest of the world, their music can be applied to many circumstances in peoples lives. I too find myself relating themes in my life to the messages in their songs. "The Grudge" is still a big one for me when it comes to letting go of certain people or choices I've made, and this year in particular I feel that the overall message of "The Patient" reflected how I easily could have given up on my academia at the university I'm currently enrolled in and could have chosen to go back home and take my life in another direction with my academics elsewhere, but then something happened along the way and I have to wait only one more week before things are going to drastically change from this "tedious path I've chosen here". So I'm "gonna wait it out" :)

slamminsalmon
06-07-2011, 04:04 AM
yeah and how many levels it works on. you are exactly right by saying that fits your college experience.

where for me it applies to someone choosing to live and be happy. over choosing to end their life. but ive noticed with them its the lyrics you pick up on. one of my friends told me the only word she hears in schism is communication. this was her first tool song, and often would ask me to play it. some people dont tune into lyrics at all, but love a lyrical song.

having said that, communication is a main theme of lateralus. for someone who doesnt listen to the lyrics, the band certainly got their message across to her.

slamminsalmon
06-09-2011, 03:42 AM
i might have it worked out right now, but who knows wut tomorrow brings. love is an appreciation of everything, and everyone. without judgement. its not easy, not always accepted either.

06-09-2011, 12:54 PM
slamminsalmon I couldn't agree more with what you just said about love. Peace and unity can only begin when we learn to let go of our egocentric self so that we may let go of our judgement and criticism towards others. And I agree that can be a very difficult thing to do, but I believe that it all begins with loving and accepting yourself first before you can love and embrace others.