PDA

View Full Version : New Tool Album

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Bogart
02-23-2011, 06:37 PM
I remember when I came to this forum years ago as a youngster and there was always some buzz around here regarding Tool- those days are long gone. Anyone excited for some new music? What direction are you hoping they take?

dan
02-23-2011, 06:43 PM
I hope they make a 180 and head back toward Lateralus and Aenema, but don't see that happening.

reign3
02-23-2011, 06:44 PM
I hope they make a 180 and head back toward Lateralus and Aenema, but don't see that happening.

Agreed.

hellboy1975
02-23-2011, 06:53 PM
It's not much more than a 4 degree turn imo

Also, I'm excited as I am about all Tool cd's, but the real excitement won't really set in until we get some indication they are at least recording the album.

Bogart
02-23-2011, 07:00 PM
I feel you guys. I would also like some fucking heavy Undertow era shit too. Sober is still one of my favorite songs from them. That fucking beat is incredible, even if the song is pretty played out.
But yah, I still think they got some good shit up their sleeve even though most people have given up on the gang who got most of us into appreciating music more.

Visceral Primate
02-23-2011, 07:03 PM
On the Puscifer website in early December, this was posted...

I have a feeling 2011 is gonna fly right by. Many plans for Puscifer this coming year. As well as all other projects.

Seems as good an indicator as any.

That being said, I'm really eager to hear some new material. I had a hard time with 10,000 days at first, now I think it's great. Still I can't help but agree with Dan and Reign3 about a similar sound to the old Lateralus and Aenema albums.

reign3
02-23-2011, 07:08 PM
I had to try so hard to like 10,000 Days, then I realized that I really didn't like it at all. That album can't stand on its own, nobody would listen to it were it not for Tool's previous albums.

Visceral Primate
02-23-2011, 07:11 PM
I had to try so hard to like 10,000 Days, then I realized that I really didn't like it at all. That album can't stand on its own, nobody would listen to it were it not for Tool's previous albums.

I'll admit that It's my least favorite. There are some standouts Wings 1 and 2, the songs were very enjoyable live when I went to see them. I enjoy that album in a very fragmented way.

dan
02-23-2011, 07:14 PM
On the Puscifer website in early December, this was posted...

Seems as good an indicator as any.

That being said, I'm really eager to hear some new material. I had a hard time with 10,000 days at first, now I think it's great. Still I can't help but agree with Dan and Reign3 about a similar sound to the old Lateralus and Aenema albums.

Billy Howerdel mentioned APC being pretty active in 2011 as well, so I'm not sure if Puscifer, Tool, AND APC can put out albums all in the same year...

Visceral Primate
02-23-2011, 07:24 PM
Billy Howerdel mentioned APC being pretty active in 2011 as well, so I'm not sure if Puscifer, Tool, AND APC can put out albums all in the same year...

It does seem a little hard to imagine a release from all of them, especially with Maynards wine running parallel. I'm sure the balancing act is pretty rough.

That said, hasn't there been mention of a live dvd release from Tool? For the last 10 years, I'm sure. I'm just trying to generate some ideas of how each band might get a little face time.

Possibly APC will release, Tool will tour, Puscifer will put out an Ep? Maybe throw in a Dvd and some festivals. Maybe even a small solo run with Puscifer.

I agree with you Dan, there's no way we'll get a Cd from each project. We'll be damn lucky if the balancing act doesn't push a staggered release that leaves us waiting for a while longer.

Visceral Primate
02-23-2011, 07:28 PM
Just pulled this from the Puscifer site. It's dated from Valentines Day.

Lot's Brewing behind the curtain. Working on new tunes, new vids, new trinkets, and a new show for the Fall. Updates to follow.

hellboy1975
02-23-2011, 07:52 PM
I think an APC release is much further away than people seem to think. I read an article with Billy where he said he didn't even have anywhere to write music, so I don't imagine there's really all that much going on there. I don't see them recording a full album anyway, at best an EP of some form.

As for Tool, I think it's less about MJK's schedule, and more about Danny, Justin and Adam getting to point where Maynard can join them. I'm actually reasonably confident that when that point is reached, Maynard will be on deck pretty quick (wine harvests pending). I'm going to wait and see what my spies can tell me, but I reckon that dedicated songwriting (sans-Maynard) will start pretty soon, if it hasn't already.

My prediction for this year is we'll see a Tool album, a Puscifer EP (likely to be mainly remixes) and a few dates from both APC and Puscifer, but not a "world tour" or anything like that.

Oh and just to throw something else into the mix, I hear that Volto! should be recording early this year as well, though I don't think this will be a huge imposition on Danny's non-Tool time.

Mosis
02-23-2011, 08:42 PM
i'm hoping for more sweet electronic goodness, in the vein of the intro to intension at the melbourne show and the (extended) intro to vicarious that they've been using for a while - i also like the electronic drums in intension (in fact i'd be happy with half an album's worth of intension-flavoured songs)

also, nothing like wings, at all, please, but softer music a la right in two would be nice

but most of all, i just want maynard to be able to reproduce his vocals live, adam to write inspired riffs again, and for not a single work by alex grey to appear in the album art

dan
02-23-2011, 08:42 PM
I dunno, Billy sounded like he was pretty sure APC would be doing some heavy touring at least in North America in 2011... It can't be easy for Maynard to record Tool songs from the road.

Synergy
02-23-2011, 09:06 PM
I feel you guys. I would also like some fucking heavy Undertow era shit too.

I think I like their Opiate/Undertow stuff the best as well, it's too bad they're probably never going to go in that direction again. I think we'll see a 2012 release, maybe with some fun Mayan stuff thrown in.

dan
02-23-2011, 09:09 PM
Maynard just isn't angry enough for that to happen. And I think he wants to distance himself from his own Tool identity, thus Puscifer (which is 95% merchandising, 5% music), wine making, and 10,000 days...

Mosis
02-23-2011, 09:12 PM
I think I like their Opiate/Undertow stuff the best as well, it's too bad they're probably never going to go in that direction again. I think we'll see a 2012 release, maybe with some fun Mayan stuff thrown in.

i think some of adam's best riffs came from this era

new millenium cyanide christ
02-23-2011, 09:44 PM
i'm hoping for a real decoy album this time around.

Metal Militia
02-23-2011, 10:38 PM
teleincision in 2011

slamminsalmon
02-24-2011, 06:12 AM
im thinking there is a more positive attitude in the air. maynard has been able to do work on his projects. he is in a better emotional space. the other guys seem happy as usual.

looking forward to another positive productive tool album. that sounds shponglized.

Ghadrack
02-24-2011, 06:27 AM
Better no album than a half ass-ed one that leaves you wondering what happened.

I'm fine with waiting, and always have been, if they get whatever inspiration/motiva$ion they need and put out another album I'll certainly check it out.

sianspheric
02-24-2011, 06:34 AM
I'd rather Maynard put APC, Pussyfur and the grapes on the backburner to actually give Danny, Adam and Justin some respect and get his ass into the studio with Tool. It's been 5 years, I'm sure those 3 have written an album full of music, they are probably just waiting on him.

Made even worse that we're been waiting for 5 years to see if Tool could actually make a good album again, because 10,000 Days was pretty staggeringly disappointing and forgetable and the weakest part of their catalog.

just sayin.

crincled
02-24-2011, 06:35 AM
im expecting the unexpected. hopefully they'll manage to surprise us this time around even more than they did with 10000 days.

maynards voice has gone to shit so they need to change the game to make the songs interesting. hopefully they'll become more instrumental. i do miss the good ole days of undertow, but the last thing i want is for them to purposefully bring em back for the fans...

Visceral Primate
02-24-2011, 10:35 AM
im thinking there is a more positive attitude in the air. maynard has been able to do work on his projects. he is in a better emotional space. the other guys seem happy as usual.

I agree, and I think that this will be key in regards to how the new album will come together. 10,000 Days took a step in another direction but ended up in a mudpuddle, imo, maybe this time they will get it right by building from what they learned with 10,000 Days.

Bogart
02-24-2011, 03:05 PM
Why can't the music be heavy and lyrics positive? I would love for them to make a fucking classic going back to their roots.

dan
02-24-2011, 03:12 PM
Why can't the music be heavy and lyrics positive? I would love for them to make a fucking classic going back to their roots.

I'm not saying it can't, just look at lateralus. Heavy and largely positive. But considering the majority of their best works were angry, that's the logic for hoping they return to that.

hellboy1975
02-24-2011, 03:54 PM
If the next album was as good as 10,000 Days I'd be happy. Sure I don't think it's as good as Aenima and Lateralus, but it wasn't a bad album or a disappointment to me.

Oneeye
02-24-2011, 05:57 PM
I'd love to see something even remotely as good as Aenima or close to Lateralus level. I actually like 10,000 days, but only under the influence of psychedelic drugs. Sober I can't really get into it, I can also appreciate it live. But driving down the freeway the last thing I really want to listen to is Wings 1 or 2. The album is good in it's own right, just not in the same way as their previous work. I really think Aenima was the height of their career, and Lateralus was a great followup showing the more positive sides of life. I'm embarrassed to say it, but that album really had a big impact on me in the past. Gave me a lot of positive direction, it's sad that that's what opened me up but hey why lie, it's true.

After so many years, I think I've finally got to the point where more often than not if a Tool song comes on I'll skip it, but Aenima is still one of the most listenable albums start to finish for me out of most the music I like. I burnt myself out on it a long time ago. But the entire thing is good, not a single song I dislike on it.

hushypushy
02-24-2011, 10:02 PM
I'll admit that It's my least favorite. There are some standouts Wings 1 and 2, the songs were very enjoyable live when I went to see them. I enjoy that album in a very fragmented way.

That's funny, because when I listen to the CD, I listen to all the songs except Wings 1+2, and Viginti Tres. Wings was incredibly moving and amazing live...but it's so shitty on the CD for me. I always skip it. Even when I try to listen to it, I usually find myself just giving up and skipping ahead.

10,000 Days hasn't grown on me. I liked it when it first came out, I liked it on tour, I started getting sick of it listening to the same songs on every bootleg for 3 years, but when I put it in my car's CD player the other day, I realized I still really like it. My opinion really hasn't wavered over the years, I think it's a solid album.

I hope they keep moving in a more eccentric direction. They need to go back to doing psychedelic drugs imo

RocktheVisualArts
02-24-2011, 10:49 PM
Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned was fun to hear live. Looking forward to hearing some new stuff in 5 years. haha

Visceral Primate
02-25-2011, 07:57 AM
That's funny, because when I listen to the CD, I listen to all the songs except Wings 1+2, and Viginti Tres. Wings was incredibly moving and amazing live...but it's so shitty on the CD for me. I always skip it. Even when I try to listen to it, I usually find myself just giving up and skipping ahead.

I agree that it's much better live than on cd. I skip around on that album quite a bit. I'm really unconcerned about the direction they go with their next release I just want to listen to it all the way through without getting bored.

rsh
02-25-2011, 09:14 AM
If the next album was as good as 10,000 Days I'd be happy. Sure I don't think it's as good as Aenima and Lateralus, but it wasn't a bad album or a disappointment to me.

hushypushy
02-25-2011, 11:23 AM
I agree that it's much better live than on cd. I skip around on that album quite a bit. I'm really unconcerned about the direction they go with their next release I just want to listen to it all the way through without getting bored.

I hear you on that one. 10,000 Days is the first Tool album where I don't soak up every single glorious moment from start to finish. Wanting to skip tracks = no bueno.

Tyro
02-25-2011, 12:57 PM
I want the mix to not be so fucking awful. Aenema and Lateralus sound very organic in their own way. 10k Days puts some pretty lame riffs upfront and compressed to fuck whereas the same potentially 'lame' riffs when mixed in the back were incredibly rythmic and additive to the music. (ie: Aenema and Lateralus)

Bogart
02-26-2011, 02:20 PM
I could never fully get into 10K Days. I thought it had some real killer moments, but also a lot of moments I just wish they had taken in a different direction. Its the album I listen to least- even compared to Salival.

Its hard though not to have high expectations for these guys. After Lateralus, I was just like fuck, these guys just keep one upping themselves. So my high expectations for 10K Days is probably a factor in my dissatisfaction for it.

Usually I find my favorite albums are those I discover on my own time rather than anticipating it.

Inner_Eulogy
02-26-2011, 06:41 PM
i'm hoping for more sweet electronic goodness, in the vein of the intro to intension at the melbourne show and the (extended) intro to vicarious that they've been using for a while - i also like the electronic drums in intension (in fact i'd be happy with half an album's worth of intension-flavoured songs)

also, nothing like wings, at all, please, but softer music a la right in two would be nice

but most of all, i just want maynard to be able to reproduce his vocals live, adam to write inspired riffs again, and for not a single work by alex grey to appear in the album art

The LAST thing Tool should be doing is trying to sound like some techno electronic shit...I have to disagree

Inner_Eulogy
02-26-2011, 06:45 PM

This is possible, the Mayan part...would give the record some substance to the unknown of what will happen come 2012. Plus I recall an article that said Danny was taking samples of the rainforest for his mandala pads.

Mosis
02-26-2011, 08:54 PM
The LAST thing Tool should be doing is trying to sound like some techno electronic shit...I have to disagree

who said anything about techno electronic shit? i'm not talking about rave music here, and i'm not even talking about electronically-dominated music; just more electronic "embellishment" and some nice soundscapes to look forward to

jakesstuff_69
02-26-2011, 11:28 PM
I just want to hear them make something evil.

200L
02-27-2011, 04:50 AM
I have full faith in Justin and Danny.

Adam and Maynard, not so much.

You have to admit, that Justin owns 10,000 Days, along with Danny.

Khastra_KSC
02-27-2011, 05:05 AM
T00L can put out what they want. I am just interested in seeing where it goes. If they had pulled an ISIS and said... "Ya know, we're done. We have nothing more to say." I would have been like... I understand that.

As far as I am concerned, anything post-Lateralus is a bonus. And one I will gladly accept.
I liked 10,000 Days and I am excited for the next one.

elusivEuphoria
02-27-2011, 01:00 PM
Robert Fripp is going to be a guest on the title track for the new album.

Mark.

My

Wordies

yo.

Mosis
02-27-2011, 02:04 PM
Robert Fripp is going to be a guest on the title track for the new album.

Mark.

My

Wordies

yo.

okay, i marked them in my calendar - if you're wrong, the world will know.

elusivEuphoria
02-27-2011, 08:59 PM
who is this, "world" you speak of?

/adjusts monocle
/twirls mustache tips

dan
02-27-2011, 09:32 PM
I just put on 10,000 Days. *Travels back in time*

Edit: but not far enough back har har har harharharhrh

lotus.
02-27-2011, 09:40 PM
i listened to 10,000 days yesterday.....and i'm still an avid tool fan (even though i really don't mention it much on here).

i am eagerly awaiting the ne album and would love some live DVD shows to be released.

You believe me, don't you?
Please believe what I've just said!
See the Dead ain't touring
And this wasn't all in my head.

Rubb.
02-27-2011, 09:51 PM
I DON'T KNOW WHAT I BELIEVE ANYMORE

dan
02-27-2011, 09:52 PM
I DON'T KNOW WHAT I BELIEVE ANYMORE

Do you believe that you're not in the bin anymore?

Rubb.
02-27-2011, 10:05 PM
If you say so.

I would like the new album to go in a more Disposition/Reflectiony direction, have good production and for Maynard to write stuff he can sing live.

lotus.
02-27-2011, 10:22 PM
i'm with you on the disposition/reflection direction rubb.

...and instead of pining away, i'd like to see the music/lyrics ascend and venture into immortality or reincarnation. that would be a nice way to have a positive vibe kind of way for them to end their music making career.

elusivEuphoria
02-27-2011, 10:47 PM
More instrumental material would be cool. Always been a huge fan of Triad (edit: and Merkaba for that matter). It'd be hard not to see that as a lack of interest from Maynard, however.

I can't help but feel that Maynard is no more than 5-10 years away from saying, "I'm done, guys. My hearts not in it anymore." And if that's the case, I've always wanted to see Tool release some kind of instrumental album with Adam working up a movie for it..... then call it quits. They did mention that band movie idea, so it's possible. :-/

praefector
02-28-2011, 06:47 PM
i just want to hear it. i can only place expectations based on what ive heard before. something entirely different from their previous work would be cool.

i guess if i had to say, based on their body of work, more eulogy, lateralis, parabol/parabola, pushit, right in two... less wings for marie, etc

hellboy1975
02-28-2011, 06:52 PM
From the latest newsletter:

Having returned from their recent tour Down Under, after taking a few days to recover from any jet-lag, and to take care of personal affairs, starting last Monday, members of the band returned to their studio/loft to continue writing and arranging new material. According to one band member, although Tool has received numerous lucrative offers to perform live (summer tours both here and abroad), they have (unanimously) decided to focus their creative energy on producing a new album. As a matter of fact, the all-important dry-erase board has been brought out and is, with each passing day, becoming filled with colorful scrawls relating to the various arrangements that are only decipherable to the band.
Looking good for a late 2011 release imo....

Visceral Primate
02-28-2011, 07:23 PM
Looking good for a late 2011 release imo....

It sounds like you might be right. If they're serious enough to pass up tour opportunities it's likely that they're at a point where they are bursting at their creative seams. Not to mention with so many outlets demanding time and attention they have to allocate their focus when the timing is right. Hopefully the recording process goes smoothly, they've had a good amount of time to figure some stuff out. I'm sure they've had some solid ideas for some time now.

hellboy1975
02-28-2011, 07:42 PM
It sounds like you might be right. If they're serious enough to pass up tour opportunities it's likely that they're at a point where they are bursting at their creative seams. Not to mention with so many outlets demanding time and attention they have to allocate their focus when the timing is right. Hopefully the recording process goes smoothly, they've had a good amount of time to figure some stuff out. I'm sure they've had some solid ideas for some time now.
Could easily slide to 2012, but I'll stay optimistic for now and say they'll hit the studio sometime before June...

elusivEuphoria
02-28-2011, 07:51 PM
ohhhh, hellboy got the plug and tdn didn't.

I can see a soap opera being spun from this...

hah.

kidding aside, much more satisfying newsletter this time around. Although he doesn't say it specifically... my feeling was that ALL of them are writing together now. Whether that means maynard is sitting in the loft absorbing the jams, and/or dropping ideas here and there, or actually attempting any vocal melodies is anybody's guess. I'd doubt the latter, but I like thinking that Maynard with with them.

Visceral Primate
02-28-2011, 07:57 PM
Could easily slide to 2012, but I'll stay optimistic for now and say they'll hit the studio sometime before June...

I had that thought but I also took the optimistic approach. I sort of alluded to it by saying that I hoped things went smoothly in the studio, but let's be realistic 2012 is probably what everyone reading this will expect.

dan
02-28-2011, 07:59 PM
ohhhh, hellboy got the plug and tdn didn't.

I can see a soap opera being spun from this...

hah.

kidding aside, much more satisfying newsletter this time around. Although he doesn't say it specifically... my feeling was that ALL of them are writing together now. Whether that means maynard is sitting in the loft absorbing the jams, and/or dropping ideas here and there, or actually attempting any vocal melodies is anybody's guess. I'd doubt the latter, but I like thinking that Maynard with with them.

It read to me like BMB was hinting that Maynard wasn't in the loft with em.

elusivEuphoria
02-28-2011, 08:02 PM
Could be, I was actually just checking maynard's 9000 twitter accounts to see if there was any indication I was wrong on that and all i came across of interest was this. http://twitpic.com/42ewzw

hellboy1975
02-28-2011, 08:06 PM
It read to me like BMB was hinting that Maynard wasn't in the loft with em.
I didn't read it that way, but I doubt Maynard is there just yet.

dan
02-28-2011, 08:33 PM
I didn't read it that way, but I doubt Maynard is there just yet.

So go back and read it, and then you will read it that way.

crincled
03-01-2011, 01:46 AM
"In checking with several of the fan sites out there (www.fourtheye.net, etc), there doesn’t seem to be any other pressing news concerning Tool at this time. However, if something should come up, I will promptly see that it gets posted in the news section on this site."

lol blair.

this is great news. hopefully it comes out this year!

Neel
03-01-2011, 06:53 AM
I felt that 10,000 days would have been killer if the title track(s) had been replaced by something that I actually enjoyed listening to.

For a new album, I would like to hear anything. It would be cool if the electronic elements that they have worked into some of their live shows would function as segues, but I am undecided about how they would sound if they were really strongly incorporated into a track. I love electronic music, and I love tool, so I'm sure they would figure it out.

My primary concern would probably be lyrics, though. Their lyrics have been a bit more esoteric and less straight forward on a lot of their previous albums. 10,000 days, which still featured great lyrics for the most part, almost seemed superficial by comparison. Vicarious, 10,000 days/wings, and perhaps even the pot (still one of my favorite tracks) were not exactly cryptic.

T-13h
03-01-2011, 08:56 AM
Cryptic and superficial are not antonyms.

Neel
03-01-2011, 10:12 AM
Cryptic and superficial are not antonyms.

So I described a single thing as "almost superficial" and "not exactly cryptic." They don't have to be antonyms.

T-13h
03-01-2011, 11:12 AM
So I described a single thing as "almost superficial" and "not exactly cryptic." They don't have to be antonyms.

The implication in your post is clearly that you see a transition from the esoteric and cryptic to the more "superficial" when you look at the difference between earlier Tool albums and their most recent, as if they were inherently related values. Of course, that's just the implication I read. I suppose I commented because I don't consider a lot of their more esoteric stuff particularly deep (as opposed to superficial) however interesting it might be.

Then again, I always took Tool in more of an emotional resonance kind of way with freedom to reflect through one's own prism, and I can see how more literal lyrics might take someone out of that.

Neel
03-01-2011, 12:38 PM
The implication in your post is clearly that you see a transition from the esoteric and cryptic to the more "superficial" when you look at the difference between earlier Tool albums and their most recent, as if they were inherently related values. Of course, that's just the implication I read. I suppose I commented because I don't consider a lot of their more esoteric stuff particularly deep (as opposed to superficial) however interesting it might be.

Then again, I always took Tool in more of an emotional resonance kind of way with freedom to reflect through one's own prism, and I can see how more literal lyrics might take someone out of that.

What I meant to describe is how the lyrics on their last album seem to differ in two ways from previous albums (mostly Lateralus). Lyrics from Lateralus and Aenima do seem a bit deeper to me. The primary culprit on 10,000 days here is "Vicarious." I was never too thrilled about a song that, to me, seemed to be self explanatory and about people enjoying violence (from a distance, etc.). This struck me as a rather mundane and cliched observation. 10,000 days and wings also rub me the wrong way for this reason. I understand that the events that inspired the tracks are very significant to the lyricist, but they are not the type of lyrics that made me love Tool. When it comes to Tool lyrics, I have always loved them because they were often vaguely and cryptically about subjects which I had never heard brought up in rock music. These two songs are by no means superficial, but relative to what I expect from Tool, they did not strike me as profound. I was certainly not inspired to think about anything in a deep manner by these songs.

Vicarious, 10,000 days, and wings also share the quality of being much less cryptic than most Tool lyrics, in my opinion. I'm not the type of person who obsesses over finding the meanings of Tool songs. What I actually enjoy about songs like those that Tool put out on Aenima/Lateralus is that they are typically not clearly about a specific thing. They are a little more abstract at times and can be interpreted many ways. This allows me to listen to the song and paint a general sort of picture with selected words, phrases, vocal style, instrumentation, etc. With some of the tracks on 10,000 days, the meaning was kind of out in the open, and I enjoyed the songs much less as a result of this.

In a way, lyrics are probably the part of the song that can be most hit-or-miss for me. I thoroughly enjoy a good singer, but self explanatory lyrics or lyrics that make a very clear message can force me to feel a certain way about a song and it's message. For that reason, I prefer lyrics that have a loose theme that works with the song, but do not make a very direct point. Tool has almost always done this for me, but they failed to do so on a few songs from 10,000 days. Even when you can get a very strong idea about what a song is about (for example, eulogy), it is still vague enough to let the listener fill in the gaps with their own experiences, and even interpret the song as having a number of different tones. With Vicarious and 10k/wings, there is not a whole lot that is open for interpretation. You could pretty much read the lyrics and be filled in on the entire story that inspired them and what the singer wants you to feel. It makes the songs less personal to me.

If my explanation of why I disliked the lyrics was a bit confusing, I apologize. I didn't quite figure out where I was going with my comment until I had almost finished typing it, at which point I was really hitting on a different subject. I didn't really feel the urge to go back and make a more cohesive statement.

T-13h
03-01-2011, 01:42 PM
That makes perfect sense and I had the same reactions to Aenima and Lateralus, but for me the difference is that 10k Days also fits in that same regard. At that time in my life I could take the lyrics and apply/re-interpret them for my mindscape and worldview as easily as I could for Aenima in high school and Lateralus in college. While academically and as a fan I have an interest in "what this song is about," I ultimately don't care as a human being exactly what the songwriter was thinking when he wrote it. I had no problems internalizing the messages of Vicarious or Rosetta Stoned for my life and they were just as cathartic as the other music Tool produced. With a track like 10k days where we've heard the basic outline of the story on toolband or whatever, and the admittedly less esoteric lyrics on all the tracks, I can see how a person would more easily view the album as James Keenan talking about specific persons, incidents, and his own opinions. That, however, is not my relationship to the album and I think a lot is lost if one doesn't at least try to come at 10k Days with the same sense of vulnerability and personal sacredness as some of the other stuff.

Bogart
03-01-2011, 04:47 PM

I'm thinking a summer time release. Fall tour.

Also, pretty sweet BMB mentioned the site Hellboy.

mcnadd
03-01-2011, 07:10 PM
no way we'll get a summer time release

10000 days was great but needed one more heavy hitting song

ide love to see them write songs that they can improv a bit more live

hellboy1975
03-01-2011, 07:18 PM
no way we'll get a summer time release
Southern Hemisphere summer perhaps!

begmetostay
03-01-2011, 08:48 PM
Could easily slide to 2012,

I'm thinking this too, but mostly so I don't get my hopes up too high.

Also about 10,000 Days, I used to not understand why everyone was so down on it. But after 5 years it really doesn't hold up like the other albums. Though it does still have a few tracks that i consider among their best.

Volrath
03-02-2011, 07:31 AM
Remember when 10kdays was leaked and everybody thought it was a decoy album because it was, well, shit. And then turned out that it wasn't? Good times.

Neel
03-02-2011, 07:45 AM
Remember when 10kdays was leaked and everybody thought it was a decoy album because it was, well, shit. And then turned out that it wasn't? Good times.

Well, I'll go on the record as saying that anybody who actually thought that the band released a decoy album was delusional.

T-13h
03-02-2011, 09:35 AM
Well, I'll go on the record as saying that anybody who actually thought that the band released a decoy album was delusional.

That decoy album shit was amazing. People who seemed reasonable in other areas discussed on this board just completely lost their minds.

What the fuck does a studio recorded, nationally distributed "decoy" album even mean?

Good times.

crincled
03-02-2011, 11:53 AM

I remember the exact moment i thought it was a decoy. suspicions arose with the pot and then they were confirmed with lipan conjuring.

then, on may 2, 2006: de-confirmed. :(

dan
03-02-2011, 01:47 PM
"Was auto tune used on The Pot's intro vocals? Or what the fuck happened there?"

The name of my forthcoming memoirs, to be published by Fourth Eye Corp.

Hodge
03-02-2011, 01:55 PM
I hope the next album saves my life

gonzo
03-02-2011, 02:14 PM
/listens to Our Lady Peace

Neel
03-02-2011, 03:47 PM
I wonder what the odds are that any sort of live material would be released during the next album cycle. It seems as though they have been capturing it for quite a while now, given the rumors of live dvd's, the release of salival, the cameras at some recent concerts. A live collection spanning several albums would make me jizz.

I only mention this idea in this thread because Tool seems to unload anything it has on us within the span of a year or two, then disappear for years.

slamminsalmon
03-02-2011, 03:51 PM
I hope the next album saves my life

i asked for that with 10,000 days and look wut we got.

Bogart
03-02-2011, 05:05 PM
i asked for that with 10,000 days and look wut we got.

You're still alive, right?

slamminsalmon
03-02-2011, 05:22 PM
fair enough! haha

hushypushy
03-02-2011, 09:05 PM
So go back and read it, and then you will read it that way.

dammit Dan, after your post, I can't read "members of the band returned to their studio/loft" any other way...

Underalus
03-03-2011, 11:48 PM
This thread makes my balls ache. Makes me reminisce about the days before 10kD info dropped. All that Teleincision bullshit. Waiting is almost the best part.

jakesstuff_69
03-04-2011, 12:00 AM
i'm fast reading everything, and it looked like you said your balls dropped and that wasnt even the best part.

idk, I gotta get high before I come here.

also, as much as I'd like to think the next album will kick ass, I'm betting it will be just OK 10kdays comparable material, if even that good.

Underalus
03-04-2011, 08:22 AM
I see what you did there

crincled
03-04-2011, 08:26 AM
next tool album title: BALLS DROPPING

Michał
03-04-2011, 04:12 PM
Balldropalus, or Ball Dropping Days.

praefector
03-05-2011, 12:45 PM

d00d just listen to it... right in two and rosetta stoned were obviously just cut and paste mixes of previous tracks. THAT ONE PART SOUNDED LIKE H AND THAT OTHER PART SOUNDED LIKE THIRD EYE = DECOY

Underalus
03-05-2011, 07:23 PM
or just shitty writing. Stay on topic, we were talking about my ballsack.

crincled
03-06-2011, 03:40 AM
is it hairy? can i use it as a wig?

Underalus
03-06-2011, 09:28 AM
I shave an awesome mohawk into it, like right down the seam of the sack. You could use it as a pushbroom or a speedbag, alternately.

crincled
03-06-2011, 09:40 AM
mohawks are so last millenium

Khastra_KSC
03-06-2011, 04:53 PM
I am still waiting for 10,000 Days vinyl...

Me and my roommate had a Lateralus listening party yesterday. Good stuff.

Mosis
03-06-2011, 05:30 PM

you want to give them more money for 10k days? don't encourage them

Underalus
03-06-2011, 06:49 PM

Was Lateralus on vinyl? If so, does it sound markedly better than the CD?

kanaduh
03-07-2011, 06:08 AM
LOL i remember after 10kd came out some douches actually thought that sound near the end of Right in Two was a clip from south park yelling "TIMMMMEH!" and therefore the entire album was a hoax.

good times.

Underalus
03-07-2011, 10:32 AM
hahahaahaahahahahah jesus I forgot about that.

Mosis
03-07-2011, 10:43 AM
LOL i remember after 10kd came out some douches actually thought that sound near the end of Right in Two was a clip from south park yelling "TIMMMMEH!" and therefore the entire album was a hoax.

good times.

i still can't help but hear "TIMMEH!!" because of this, lol

Inner_Eulogy
03-07-2011, 12:30 PM
who said anything about techno electronic shit? i'm not talking about rave music here, and i'm not even talking about electronically-dominated music; just more electronic "embellishment" and some nice soundscapes to look forward to

Well, the thought of "electronic embellishment" doesn't sound good either...but I suppose it all depends on what they do and how they incorporate it

Hodge
03-07-2011, 03:43 PM
i still can't help but hear "TIMMEH!!" because of this, lol

ditto

Inner_Eulogy
03-07-2011, 04:28 PM
What I meant to describe is how the lyrics on their last album seem to differ in two ways from previous albums (mostly Lateralus). Lyrics from Lateralus and Aenima do seem a bit deeper to me. The primary culprit on 10,000 days here is "Vicarious." I was never too thrilled about a song that, to me, seemed to be self explanatory and about people enjoying violence (from a distance, etc.). This struck me as a rather mundane and cliched observation. 10,000 days and wings also rub me the wrong way for this reason. I understand that the events that inspired the tracks are very significant to the lyricist, but they are not the type of lyrics that made me love Tool. When it comes to Tool lyrics, I have always loved them because they were often vaguely and cryptically about subjects which I had never heard brought up in rock music. These two songs are by no means superficial, but relative to what I expect from Tool, they did not strike me as profound. I was certainly not inspired to think about anything in a deep manner by these songs.

Vicarious, 10,000 days, and wings also share the quality of being much less cryptic than most Tool lyrics, in my opinion. I'm not the type of person who obsesses over finding the meanings of Tool songs. What I actually enjoy about songs like those that Tool put out on Aenima/Lateralus is that they are typically not clearly about a specific thing. They are a little more abstract at times and can be interpreted many ways. This allows me to listen to the song and paint a general sort of picture with selected words, phrases, vocal style, instrumentation, etc. With some of the tracks on 10,000 days, the meaning was kind of out in the open, and I enjoyed the songs much less as a result of this.

In a way, lyrics are probably the part of the song that can be most hit-or-miss for me. I thoroughly enjoy a good singer, but self explanatory lyrics or lyrics that make a very clear message can force me to feel a certain way about a song and it's message. For that reason, I prefer lyrics that have a loose theme that works with the song, but do not make a very direct point. Tool has almost always done this for me, but they failed to do so on a few songs from 10,000 days. Even when you can get a very strong idea about what a song is about (for example, eulogy), it is still vague enough to let the listener fill in the gaps with their own experiences, and even interpret the song as having a number of different tones. With Vicarious and 10k/wings, there is not a whole lot that is open for interpretation. You could pretty much read the lyrics and be filled in on the entire story that inspired them and what the singer wants you to feel. It makes the songs less personal to me.

If my explanation of why I disliked the lyrics was a bit confusing, I apologize. I didn't quite figure out where I was going with my comment until I had almost finished typing it, at which point I was really hitting on a different subject. I didn't really feel the urge to go back and make a more cohesive statement.

THIS...was very well put and I wholeheartedly agree...even though I still like 10,000 Days

Mosis
03-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Well, the thought of "electronic embellishment" doesn't sound good either...but I suppose it all depends on what they do and how they incorporate it

what did you think of the synths in third eye, grudge, reflection, rosetta and the electronic drums in intension?

crincled
03-08-2011, 02:48 AM
i like 10000 days :/

i witcha, partner.

Inner_Eulogy
03-08-2011, 11:02 AM
what did you think of the synths in third eye, grudge, reflection, rosetta and the electronic drums in intension?

Well, I guess to be honest I didn't realize they were in any song other than Intension...or at least it's definitely a much less subtle approach. In short, it sounds fine in all except Intension...I thought it sounded cheap and too far from who they are...this is Tool, not Aphex Twin

bogsnarth
03-08-2011, 11:25 AM
intension doesn't sound a fucking thing like an aphex twin song

Inner_Eulogy
03-08-2011, 01:03 PM

To me, the electonica aspect of it does and that's my opinion...no differently than you having your own opinion. All I'm saying is I don't like it mixed into a Tool song...you do like it, so what? They're just opinions, get over it.

elusivEuphoria
03-08-2011, 03:02 PM

ehhh, I wouldn't go that far. The song as a whole, no. But I can hear some similarities, as IE said, in the electronic percussion toward the end. Although I never thought that before.... Just really listening for it now.

:-/

Mosis
03-08-2011, 03:04 PM
ehhh, I wouldn't go that far. The song as a whole, no. But I can hear some similarities, as IE said, in the electronic percussion toward the end. Although I never thought that before.... Just really listening for it now.

have you noticed the similar use of electronic drums in TMV's "copernicus?"

theamazingtool
03-08-2011, 03:47 PM
i like 10000 days :/

Yep. Screw all you haters.

On topic of 10,000 Days and its lyrical content:

I know this will stir some shit up but, I find the album and its lyrics to be very deep, possibly the band's heaviest material. Seems like a lot of folks on this forum like previous album's because of their mysterious/thought provoking lyrics (and I agree), but I think a lot of these songs make the most sense to Maynard in his own drug-induced mind.

10,000 Days may come across a little more direct, but I think the think the topics of human intent, emotion and behavior leave your mind a little more to think about than buttfucking and "opening your third eye".

Nothing against Opiate, Undertow, Aenima, or Lateralus, but I hope the band keeps moving in the 10,000 Day direction. I like it, a lot.

theamazingtool
03-08-2011, 03:51 PM
Oh, and I think Justin should be voted as the band's captain. He's on a fucking roll and only building momentum. Not to mention seems like he gives "the most shit" about Tool in recent.

Go Justin, lead the way now

Mosis
03-08-2011, 03:57 PM
i don't have much of a problem with the lyrics on 10, 000 days. the lyrics to jambi are beautiful, and rosetta stoned is brilliant in a way only tool can deliver.

i do have a problem with how stale 10,000 days sounds, how i end up skipping wings i and ii and the pot most listens, how rosetta is 2/3 dull and 1/3 fucking incredible, and how right in two's lyrics just sound silly now.

10, 000 days is like a typical alex grey painting - a lot of fluff that's fun at first, but when the fluff wears off you realize there's not a whole lot of substance underneath

jambi and intension are among the best songs in tool's catalogue, though

Inner_Eulogy
03-08-2011, 09:12 PM

Agreed, that was my point...not the song as a whole by all means...but definitely the electronica part of it made me think of Aphex Twin...which is possibly also my only personal reference to electronica type stuff....which, I would NOT like Tool to emulate

Inner_Eulogy
03-08-2011, 09:17 PM

I know this will stir some shit up but, I find the album and its lyrics to be very deep, possibly the band's heaviest material. Seems like a lot of folks on this forum like previous album's because of their mysterious/thought provoking lyrics (and I agree), but I think a lot of these songs make the most sense to Maynard in his own drug-induced mind.

10,000 Days may come across a little more direct, but I think the think the topics of human intent, emotion and behavior leave your mind a little more to think about than buttfucking and "opening your third eye".

Nothing against Opiate, Undertow, Aenima, or Lateralus, but I hope the band keeps moving in the 10,000 Day direction. I like it, a lot.

It goes both ways, it truly does...and you're right....but I think their strongest suit IS in keeping that open ended multi layered artistic direction. I also like 10k Days but I also agree that it just felt like something was missing. It's like buying a brand new Ferrari but not washing it for 6mos...sure, it's a fucking Ferrari...but it's lost it's shine.

bogsnarth
03-08-2011, 11:04 PM
have you noticed the similar use of electronic drums in TMV's "copernicus?"

the reason these drums and the drums in intension and something you may have heard in an aphex twin song sound similar is because that's just how drum synth hi hats sound.. if you listen to some squarepusher or autechre or even my music (*shameless self promotion* (http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=106927)) you'll probably hear similar things..

that part of intension always sounds to me like someone is playing a drum pad like a tabla.. so i guess i hear more tabla than electronic influence..

crincled
03-09-2011, 02:41 AM

10,000 days is their most sincere album, I think. In previous ones they were just too angry (not a gripe, just sayin'), too conceited, or too goddamn spiritual - and the mood was determined by maynardo, me thinks. hence, this post:

Oh, and I think Justin should be voted as the band's captain. He's on a fucking roll and only building momentum. Not to mention seems like he gives "the most shit" about Tool in recent.

makes me grin. (in a good way of course)

how do you figure he's "on a roll" and "building momentum"?

Michał
03-09-2011, 04:41 AM
Justin is the man! On AEnima you can hear him experimenting, on Lateralus he's the author of some of the coolest riffs on the album (most notably, "Schism") and on 10.000 Days the man rules the groove absolutely! Along with Danny they build a great foundation, their lines fit each other so nicely. He is getting more and more powerful when it comes to rhythmic nuances (the 5 over 6 groove around 7th minute from Rosetta Stoned is mostly his idea) and he does magic collaborating with Adam and Danny (intro to "Vicarious", all the riffs from "The Pot"). He continues his research in weird guitar FX hardware.. I definitely believe in his creativity, he's definitely, like someone here said "a star on strings". In his playing one can hear that he's not afraid to face and cross his limits.

crincled
03-09-2011, 04:52 AM
i didnt know all these things. most i had noticed was how he worked his ass off on wings for marie... :-o

thanks for the heads up

elusivEuphoria
03-09-2011, 08:48 AM
the reason these drums and the drums in intension and something you may have heard in an aphex twin song sound similar is because that's just how drum synth hi hats sound.. if you listen to some squarepusher or autechre or even my music (*shameless self promotion* (http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=106927)) you'll probably hear similar things..

that part of intension always sounds to me like someone is playing a drum pad like a tabla.. so i guess i hear more tabla than electronic influence..

After giving Copernicus a listen, I kind of started to feel like its all a matter of perspective. Certainly Aphex Twin, Tool and Mars Volta sound nothing alike. While the use of synth drums sounds 'similar', if given context, it fits the situation.

I guess that'd be like saying, this guitarist sounds like that guitarist because they both use LPs with marshall amp/cabs and play with a lot of unison bends. They might both have a similar playing style, yet their composition could be wholly different.

elusivEuphoria
03-09-2011, 09:25 AM
Also i'm now listening to Octahedron... blamin you dads...

edit: in a good way tho

Mosis
03-09-2011, 09:40 AM
After giving Copernicus a listen, I kind of started to feel like its all a matter of perspective. Certainly Aphex Twin, Tool and Mars Volta sound nothing alike. While the use of synth drums sounds 'similar', if given context, it fits the situation.

i was just pointing out that a similar electronic drum motif is in intension and copernicus. i haven't really listened to any idm so the "electronic hi hat" was a novel sound for me, and i thought it was cute coincidence that i heard it in new tool and new tmv. of course i wouldn't say that tool, or tmv, or aphex twin sound anything alike, stylistically, just because they use the same samples

and i like octahedron. i think it's their most consistent album since deloused, and a welcome follow-up to bedlam, half of which i never listen to.

crincled
03-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Also i'm now listening to Octahedron... blamin you dads...

edit: in a good way tho

ok ill listen to it too

/eyes sparkle

elusivEuphoria
03-09-2011, 10:02 AM
i was just pointing out that a similar electronic drum motif is in intension and copernicus. i haven't really listened to any idm so the "electronic hi hat" was a novel sound for me, and i thought it was cute coincidence that i heard it in new tool and new tmv. of course i wouldn't say that tool, or tmv, or aphex twin sound anything alike, stylistically, just because they use the same samples

Totally.

and i like octahedron. i think it's their most consistent album since deloused, and a welcome follow-up to bedlam, half of which i never listen to.

Totally. Although I like most of bedlam.

theamazingtool
03-09-2011, 03:31 PM
how do you figure he's "on a roll" and "building momentum"?

The past(only) 2 times I've seen them live, (10,000 Day tour and 2009 Summer Tour) Justin notably more than the rest of the band, looked like he was having fun on stage and giving it his all.

I feel like he's coming out of his shell more and more as time progresses... building momentum, if you will. Personal opinion, of course

*again*

Hodge
03-09-2011, 03:36 PM
Justin should be replaced with a token black guy or hot chick

Inner_Eulogy
03-09-2011, 06:36 PM

I guess that'd be like saying, this guitarist sounds like that guitarist because they both use LPs with marshall amp/cabs and play with a lot of unison bends. They might both have a similar playing style, yet their composition could be wholly different.

Just to clarify my previous point...what I meant to say was not that Tool sounds like Aphex Twin during the synth on Intension, simply that the synth made me think of them...and in my preference I would hope Tool doesn't steer in that direction with their music. Perhaps something more ambient, jungle like maybe.

elusivEuphoria
03-09-2011, 06:49 PM
I think we're on the same page.

a useful idiot
03-11-2011, 02:35 PM
i vote for 180, last album was HIGHly disappointing.

Bogart
03-11-2011, 02:37 PM
I hope they pull a Radiohead and just give 1 weeks notice and release it

elusivEuphoria
03-11-2011, 03:04 PM
^yo, dat

Bogart
03-11-2011, 05:37 PM
They're a pretty big band- that's all they need and it would still sell well.

jakesstuff_69
03-13-2011, 07:45 PM
Justin should be replaced with a token black guy or hot chick

definitely needs to be a hot chick who likes to dress in revealing outfits.

and I gotta be honest, i think justin has turned tool into more of a prog rock sound than they were before. while thats OK, its not great. As I've said before Evil fucking shit needs to come back. They used to have dark music and since justin has been in the band its taken a rather stale turn. boot justin and get a crazy hot chick that drives the rest of the band insane so we can get at least one more good album before they retire.

mcnadd
03-14-2011, 10:20 PM
hahaha wtf

Michał
03-15-2011, 01:37 AM
Agreed, Jakesstuff - Recently I realized, how influential Justin is on the others he plays with. He joined the band "Intronaut" on the title track from their album "Valley of Smoke", and see what happened: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFYGL5qOt70
It's kinda lengthy piece, but you can jump straight to 3:20 and.. seems familiar :)
Great dual bass performance isn't it?

Perseensilmä
03-15-2011, 02:27 AM
I hope this time they will put the actual album out too, not just the decoy one like last time.

T-13h
03-15-2011, 04:48 AM
definitely needs to be a hot chick who likes to dress in revealing outfits.

and I gotta be honest, i think justin has turned tool into more of a prog rock sound than they were before. while thats OK, its not great. As I've said before Evil fucking shit needs to come back. They used to have dark music and since justin has been in the band its taken a rather stale turn. boot justin and get a crazy hot chick that drives the rest of the band insane so we can get at least one more good album before they retire.

I think that's completely insane, and yet... a compelling argument.

sianspheric
03-15-2011, 05:00 AM
I hope they pull a Radiohead and just give 1 weeks notice and release it

that's a good idea, as long as the new album isnt 8 tracks and an utter fucking bore like the new Radiohead album.

Underalus
03-15-2011, 05:56 AM
that's a good idea, as long as the new album isnt 8 tracks and an utter fucking bore like the new Radiohead album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w02QpqbCksU

mcnadd
03-15-2011, 03:52 PM
intronaut with justin is brilliant

Khastra_KSC
03-15-2011, 04:09 PM
Was Lateralus on vinyl? If so, does it sound markedly better than the CD?

In my opinion, yes. I could really hear the guitar layering better. The pitch shifter that Adam uses jumped out a bit more.

The drums sound (the cymbals speciffically) sound more alive.

I dunno. I am probably being too picky. I heard details that I have never heard before though and that is my favorite album of all time...

So yeah. I thought it sounded better.

I also have Undertow on vinyl and it sounds way better in my opinion as well.

Underalus
03-15-2011, 05:48 PM
My step-dad's got a very nice vinyl setup. I wonder how much it would cost to get Lateralus nowadays. I'm dying to find Panopticon but I think it's out of print.

5th Eye
03-15-2011, 05:52 PM
I wonder how much it would cost to get Lateralus nowadays.

I saw one at Best Buy I think a while ago. If I recall correctly, it's still about $40.

base metal
03-16-2011, 10:51 AM
world tour's already sold out whether or not we like the new album

troof

futant55
03-16-2011, 11:16 AM
I saw one at Best Buy I think a while ago. If I recall correctly, it's still about $40.
Yeah thats right, There is a music store I go to and they have it for $39.99

5th Eye
03-16-2011, 11:22 AM
Which is utterly ridiculous, especially for a 10-year-old album (yeah I know the vinyl edition is newer).

For comparison: I got Liars' new album the day it came out. Not only was it less than half as much, but it has equally-cool packaging AND two CDs to go along with the two LPs. $40 for two LPs is a complete ripoff.

dan
03-16-2011, 11:23 AM
Which is utterly ridiculous, especially for a 10-year-old album (yeah I know the vinyl edition is newer).

For comparison: I got Liars' new album the day it came out. Not only was it less than half as much, but it has equally-cool packaging AND two CDs to go along with the two LPs. $40 for two LPs is a complete ripoff.

Liars isn't exactly a Grade A name in the music industry though.

5th Eye
03-16-2011, 11:23 AM
depends who you ask, dad

egatimra
03-21-2011, 03:31 PM
I joke about it, but I still get this feeling Tool will throw down a new album without much hype at all. That's probably not going to happen, but I guess it's wishful thinking that one day I'll find a brand spankin' new Tool album floating down the street heading for the gutter, and I'll save it from disappearing forever and Tool will respond with some sort of terrible Britney Spears euphemism.

Bogart
03-21-2011, 04:12 PM
I dont think bands need to promote albums months before release nowadays. I really don't know if promotion is determined by the band or record label, but I would think in today's information age, the album would still sell well with 1 or 2 weeks notice. I think that would be pretty epic on their part.

mcnadd
03-21-2011, 06:55 PM
fucking apc cockblocking on my tool. ive always felt that maynard can do whatever he wants whenever he wants as long as the love is spread around, but damn dude that changed this morning with the announcement of apc touring north america for the whole summer. ive got a blue ball the size of saturn for anything new from this band and now it looks like i have to amputate

lotus.
03-21-2011, 07:30 PM
fucking apc cockblocking on my tool. ive always felt that maynard can do whatever he wants whenever he wants as long as the love is spread around, but damn dude that changed this morning with the announcement of apc touring north america for the whole summer. ive got a blue ball the size of saturn for anything new from this band and now it looks like i have to amputate

im with yuh mcnadd

asymptotic
03-21-2011, 08:49 PM
I don't think Maynard and APC are stalling Tool's new album. It's pretty much understood that the other 3 band members write the music and then Maynard strolls in towards the end and writes the lyrics, right? I'm pretty sure the band is still very much so in the process of writing the music. Also, I know I heard/read an interview with Maynard once where he talked about being on tour with APC and how he was sent the music of what the Tool boys were working on for him to ponder over.

90hoursleep
03-21-2011, 09:58 PM
Fuck, is there a lesser productive band then Tool? It's a wonder that I keep up with them at all. I don't get the general arguments from Tool fans along the lines of "Let them take their time, it's gonna be totally worth it!!!" and "if they need to take as long as they take to write the next masterpiece, im cool with that". Nah....part of being a great band requires putting out music on a regular basis. Look at Devin Townsend...with the 2 albums due in June he will have had put out 6 albums since Tool released 10,000 days. Even Radiohead has released 3 albums post-2001, Tool has 1. And 10K days wasnt THAT great either...

hellboy1975
03-21-2011, 10:10 PM
part of being a great band requires putting out music on a regular basis.
That statement is complete bullshit tbh

90hoursleep
03-21-2011, 10:10 PM
Less productive...I mean. I need sleep.

90hoursleep
03-21-2011, 10:12 PM

part, not all of it.

Obviously putting shit out consistently doesn't make one great.

Meh you're probably right, I'm just frustrated, want a new Tool album and it's been too long.

bogsnarth
03-21-2011, 10:18 PM

agreed

for example, the band bark psychosis more or less (depending on whose account you listen to) pioneered the genre of post-rock.. or at least, they were among the first bands to be given the label by the music press.. they were and are hugely influential in the post-rock sound.. their first album came out in 1994, their second in 2004.

it takes as long as it takes. and lol @ using devin townsend as an example of a "good" prolific artist.

base metal
03-22-2011, 07:37 AM
I'm gonna crack up when the next tour sports the same set.

elusivEuphoria
03-22-2011, 08:20 AM
stage or songs? or both? lol!

sianspheric
03-22-2011, 01:48 PM
Tool hasn't released an album in 5 years, Maynard goes touring with his other band that has not released a new album in 8 years.

Sounds very productive.

base metal
03-22-2011, 02:10 PM
stage or songs? or both? lol!

Jambi
Stinkfist
46&2

you get the idea...

mcnadd
03-22-2011, 06:04 PM
april 1st release
alex greys thing at cosm on april 1st is a release party
no one will believe it so the jokes on you.

elusivEuphoria
03-22-2011, 06:14 PM
Tool hasn't released an album in 5 years, Maynard goes touring with his other band that has not released a new album in 8 years.

Sounds very productive.

This arguement doesn't make sense, tool has been touring plenty lately and ~5 years is the norm. O_o

phylleb
03-23-2011, 07:48 AM
I was hoping for some kind of release of a DVD or complilation like before lateralus and 10k days...this worries me that nothing is in the works, but it's TOOL so they are probably spending more time on the decoy album this time around.

sianspheric
03-23-2011, 09:17 AM
This arguement doesn't make sense, tool has been touring plenty lately and ~5 years is the norm. O_o

the 2 years of touring after a 1 year removed from the 10,000 Days touring is odd for Tool - yes

BUT the previous pace was 5 years. With Maynard touring all summer with APC, and Tool's tendancy to release albums in the spring, we will likely only see the album hit in spring 2012, IMO which makes it 6 years since the last one.

I'm saying they are not very productive when it comes to making new albums. 4 albums in like 19 years? Almost at a Massive Attack pace (5 albums in 20 years)

theamazingtool
03-23-2011, 04:09 PM
april 1st release
alex greys thing at cosm on april 1st is a release party
no one will believe it so the jokes on you.

This is what I've been thinking(wishing).

But I know it won't come true.

iknowmaynard
03-23-2011, 04:13 PM
yea bro i hate alex grey too

elusivEuphoria
03-23-2011, 05:43 PM
the 2 years of touring after a 1 year removed from the 10,000 Days touring is odd for Tool - yes

BUT the previous pace was 5 years. With Maynard touring all summer with APC, and Tool's tendancy to release albums in the spring, we will likely only see the album hit in spring 2012, IMO which makes it 6 years since the last one.

I'm saying they are not very productive when it comes to making new albums. 4 albums in like 19 years? Almost at a Massive Attack pace (5 albums in 20 years)

Not trying to be a dick, but that's tool. Just gotta deal.

mcnadd
03-23-2011, 06:47 PM
well ill be at the alex grey thing so ill let you all know whats good with that.

elusivEuphoria
03-24-2011, 03:10 PM
No sense, this makes. Hmmm.

Mosis
03-24-2011, 03:40 PM
From FInland he is, yes.

Carny_Handles
03-24-2011, 03:59 PM
No sense, this makes. Hmmm.

too much whiskey and weed imo.

elusivEuphoria
03-24-2011, 04:25 PM
From FInland he is, yes.

And he's made understandable posts before.

I'm gonna go with carny's theory.

Hmmm, sounds like a cool TV drama...

"Tonight! On Carny's Theory!"

Underalus
03-25-2011, 01:01 PM
"I toldjyew I jus' grow sorghum here..."

MobiusSpin
03-25-2011, 01:45 PM

Sounds very productive.

Farmin' and suckin' teeth aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, son.

lotus.
03-26-2011, 01:37 PM
/maynards wine enema

Carny_Handles
03-26-2011, 07:36 PM
all i tried to point out was, that somebody must die, before another album comes out... maybe somebody as meaningfull as Dimebag.
And other thing
it was suppose to be funny and sarcastic.

i got it, hence the whiskey and weed reference..

hellboy1975
03-27-2011, 04:35 AM
lol @ dimebag being considered meaningful

Neel
03-27-2011, 10:09 AM
By the way, in may of this year, Lateralus will be 10 years old. This seems like as good a place as any to bring that up. It doesn't really seem like it has been around that long, but that's probably because there has only been one other release since then.

Bogart
03-27-2011, 10:19 AM
That is pretty crazy man. I listened to it yesterday- still love it!

Neel
03-27-2011, 10:57 AM
That is pretty crazy man. I listened to it yesterday- still love it!

I listen to it more now than I did when it first came out, but that's just because it took some time for the band to sink in (Lateralus was the first cd of theirs I bought). Needless to say, they have sunk in quite deeply and left a mark.

Underalus
03-27-2011, 02:09 PM
When I first listened to Tool, they were nearly the only band I listened to and as such waiting for 10,000 Days was torture. Even during that wait, towards 2004 I started expanding significantly in what I listened to, growing year by year. Even still, waiting for this new one is like having my balls in a vice which I guess is a testament to Tool's importance to me. I remember there was a huge lull in my affection for them after the disappointment of 10K days and I wondered if I'd still care about them in five years time. I'm glad I still do.

sianspheric
03-28-2011, 01:27 PM
still remember the day Lateralus came out.

I was in grade 12, walked over to my local HMV, got the CD, came back to school, smoked a joint with friends, listened to the CD on my discman (lol) and sat in the back of some class zoning out staring at the artwork for a long ass time.

That was a glorious time to be a Tool fan. 2001-2002, those couple of years was the band at the peak of their popularity IMO. Saw them twice in 2001, then went to see the band with about 15 friends the next summer, they were that big. Graduated from High School a few months prior, the Tool show was like a high school reunion.

blair's man sausage
04-01-2011, 10:52 AM
lol @ dimebag being considered meaningful

getcha pull?

Grimface
04-01-2011, 11:11 AM
have you all missed this interview with Danny???

“and we’re still at the point where we’re just jamming and logging ideas. There hasn’t been a lot of writing and arranging going on; it’s more just in the development, research stages. We’ve got three or four great frameworks that we’re having a lot of fun with, that’s for sure.”

“That’s like the norm, isn’t it? Usually the first two or three songs are the hardest ones, and every once and a while we can get stuck and we’re working on one song for two months or something. I’m hoping it’ll be out... definitely before the end of 2011.”

http://www.beat.com.au/music/2011/01/19/tool/andrew-wk-angus-amp-julia-stone-big-day-out-crystal-castles-deftones-grinderman-iggy-amp-stooges-joh

TOD
04-01-2011, 12:44 PM
I was in my friends 1970's Volvo the first time I heard The Grudge. I remember thinking that it was really strange music. I remarked,"This sounds like metal Pink Floyd." I arrogantly dismissed it a new music striving to be as good as the old. I really liked the packaging, but thought it was a gimmick to sell shitty new music. I was in 9th grade and really hung up on the original prog rock bands and jazz fusion. I didn't accept much of anything that was played on MTV as "real" music. I later became obsessed with this album (as well as there others) and the sounds took on new dimensions, as well as meanings I began to associate with he lyrical content. I am still a little embarrassed to this day to be a Tool fan. I used to like "good" music like Coltrane and Miles. I loved the Flecktones and "accomplished" guitarists like Trey Anistasio and Steve Howe. I was even a Jazz studies major that had given up bar chords, not to mention how infantile I thought it was to play in drop D if it were not for the sake of the unattainable extensions in E. What the fuck happened to me? I was even into Jung and Art and Philosophy and Spirituality before Tool. Then I realized they were into everything I was into. I became more and more obsessed. I began playing in Drop D. I started using feedback for meditation, and then...

The New Album Better Be A Double Disc with a Full length Film on DVD that I can watch as I listen. I'm not waiting 6 years for another 10,000 days!

Bogart
04-01-2011, 02:19 PM

http://www.beat.com.au/music/2011/01/19/tool/andrew-wk-angus-amp-julia-stone-big-day-out-crystal-castles-deftones-grinderman-iggy-amp-stooges-joh

Pretty good interview, really.

hellboy1975
04-01-2011, 02:39 PM

Nope, I published that email on Fourtheye 3 months ago when it was originally posted. Tool are significantly further down the road of album writing now...

Underalus
04-01-2011, 05:51 PM
More than anything I hope the release doesn't overshoot the mark. Maynard's voice is still the topic of much debate every time they tour, and justifiably so because it can't stand up to the old songs. As much as I want to hear H. the way I think it's meant to be sung, I know I won't and I hope they don't try and pull out Maynard's aggressive voice anymore. His dulcet, subdued stuff like on Disposition, Intension, even the soft bridge in H., are all wonderful and suit Tool fine. Maynard's voice, the timbre and vibrato of it are still beautiful and I hope they focus on that instead of pushing "I don't mind" kind of moments out of him.

Rubb.
04-01-2011, 07:56 PM
My eyes went all weird and I read your name as Dinoralus.

I hope the new album is about dinosaurs!

elusivEuphoria
04-01-2011, 08:25 PM
I was in my friends 1970's Volvo the first time I heard The Grudge. I remember thinking that it was really strange music. I remarked,"This sounds like metal Pink Floyd." I arrogantly dismissed it a new music striving to be as good as the old. I really liked the packaging, but thought it was a gimmick to sell shitty new music. I was in 9th grade and really hung up on the original prog rock bands and jazz fusion. I didn't accept much of anything that was played on MTV as "real" music. I later became obsessed with this album (as well as there others) and the sounds took on new dimensions, as well as meanings I began to associate with he lyrical content. I am still a little embarrassed to this day to be a Tool fan. I used to like "good" music like Coltrane and Miles. I loved the Flecktones and "accomplished" guitarists like Trey Anistasio and Steve Howe. I was even a Jazz studies major that had given up bar chords, not to mention how infantile I thought it was to play in drop D if it were not for the sake of the unattainable extensions in E. What the fuck happened to me? I was even into Jung and Art and Philosophy and Spirituality before Tool. Then I realized they were into everything I was into. I became more and more obsessed. I began playing in Drop D. I started using feedback for meditation, and then...

The New Album Better Be A Double Disc with a Full length Film on DVD that I can watch as I listen. I'm not waiting 6 years for another 10,000 days!

I feel like your opposite. Tool essentially was a gateway to more accomplished musicians and artists. Tool allowed me to give King Crimson a second chance after loathing my Dads obsession with them. Then from Crimson, I rediscovered my love for Primus and Pearl Jam... then evolved new found admiration for Zappa, Trey Anistasio, Buckethead, and a variety of others.

But of course, I wasn't playing any instruments before I started listening to Tool. So maybe thats the difference. I hadn't yet developed any musical pretentiousness yet.

Hmm.

I'm boring myself. Time for booze.

edit: also, I second Rubbs notion. New album definitely needs more dinosaurs. I AM A DINOSAUR!!! Somebody is diggin my bones!

TOD
04-01-2011, 09:36 PM
Yeah I was on the Zappa early, and my band director had a little picture of him on his wall. He also liked me sometimes and encouraged to not go to college for music and just play on the streets, something I still don't have the balls for... Also, more dinosaurs would be a nice addition to all the esoteric stuff. Roarrrrrr!

Bogart
04-06-2011, 03:03 PM
It's funny how after reading the last six pages I have managed to listen to three Tool songs simply because they were talked about in the previous posts.
Whatever direction they take in the future, I am sure it will be better than 95% of the swill that is pumped out by recording companies on a daily basis.

True dat

slamminsalmon
04-06-2011, 03:13 PM
bravo quantum

InertUniformity
04-06-2011, 04:16 PM
Can anyone out there name a band which produced a "classic" 7th album? "Classic" is a subjective term I guess... My point is, I can't think of any band (with all its members over age 40) that has only ever had an upwards trajectory (by this I mean to say each album is considered "better" than the last). Having to outdo yourself every time you write an album has to get tiresome after a while.

Bogart
04-06-2011, 04:39 PM
Can anyone out there name a band which produced a "classic" 7th album? "Classic" is a subjective term I guess... My point is, I can't think of any band (with all its members over age 40) that has only ever had an upwards trajectory (by this I mean to say each album is considered "better" than the last). Having to outdo yourself every time you write an album has to get tiresome after a while.
A lot of people state 10 K Days is their best. Honestly, who can say what's better than what, it's just up to the individual. I just want some new music from them that i'll be listening to years from now just like their previous releases.

slamminsalmon
04-06-2011, 04:39 PM
how old were the guys from rush?

elusivEuphoria
04-06-2011, 04:54 PM
how old are the guys in king crimson?

Shit... Red was their 7th album and everything after that (Discipline included btw) has been pretty fucking rock solid prog godliness.

elusivEuphoria
04-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Of course, King Crimson had put out 7 albums in their first 5 years of existence... Tool has yet to release their 5th after almost 20 years.

Neel
04-06-2011, 05:04 PM
I don't think they really have to top themselves. They can produce an amazing album album and rejuvenate themselves. That seems hard to imagine happening, but that's the way music is. If a band is coming out and I can predict what their album is going to sound like, it probably won't be that exciting. I can't even predict what a new tool song would sound like if the band didn't change their style at all. That's a good sign.

I also thought about bringing up King Crimson, but there are so many differences between the two bands that might explain KC's changes in style. The group would hibernate every so many years and come back with a very different lineup and into a very different music scene. It's not to say that Tool couldn't change their sound like that, but that seems unlikely.

mcnadd
04-06-2011, 07:28 PM
tool will pull it off.

they created 10k the way they did to test us and themselves, to create that "blues" record, to do what they want, putting off a certain percentage of thier audience.

they created room for them to top themselves with this album

Hodge
04-07-2011, 01:27 AM

The Beatles - Revolver

Semi-Fiction
04-07-2011, 11:57 AM
I think Tool should re-issue/remaster Undertow to make some money while their busy with their other shitty projects... Help us to rediscover their music.

...they could probably even remaster Aenima, even though I can't say that any album of theirs sounds better than it already. They might ruin it.

Neel
04-07-2011, 12:19 PM
I think Tool should re-issue/remaster Undertow to make some money while their busy with their other shitty projects... Help us to rediscover their music.

...they could probably even remaster Aenima, even though I can't say that any album of theirs sounds better than it already. They might ruin it.

Personally, I hope they never reissue any of their albums. It's not like they have any b-sides to attach to them. I just hope they release a damn lived dvd. It seems like they record so much of their material. It would be unbelievable if they one day released a career spanning live dvd boxed set that contained live material from each of the tours they did to showcase the evolution of their live show. That's wishful thinking, though.

dan
04-07-2011, 12:23 PM
Personally, I hope they never reissue any of their albums. It's not like they have any b-sides to attach to them. I just hope they release a damn lived dvd. It seems like they record so much of their material. It would be unbelievable if they one day released a career spanning live dvd boxed set that contained live material from each of the tours they did to showcase the evolution of their live show. That's wishful thinking, though.

I dunno, with the way "premium" sets are getting so popular lately, and with their recent pricing of Salival...I think it might be possible for a premium live box set to come out, and at the most premium of prices.

Anybody want to pay a few grand for a career-spanning live dvd set?

elusivEuphoria
04-07-2011, 12:42 PM
I saw Undertow in vinyl around xmas time at frys. think it was $40. Didn't get it.

mcnadd
04-07-2011, 12:51 PM
nothing needs to be reissued are you crazy

Neel
04-07-2011, 12:59 PM
I dunno, with the way "premium" sets are getting so popular lately, and with their recent pricing of Salival...I think it might be possible for a premium live box set to come out, and at the most premium of prices.

Anybody want to pay a few grand for a career-spanning live dvd set?

At that price, I will be stealing it. If they have an entire show from every tour that they went on plus an additional disc or two of interesting deviations from the norm (one-offs, songs that were brought out on other dates from that tour), I would pay quite a bit. I don't think it would even approach a few grand, but I would definitely be into it.

Semi-Fiction
04-07-2011, 01:31 PM
I saw Undertow in vinyl around xmas time at frys. think it was $40. Didn't get it.

$40 is absurd. I got Lateralus for $30, brand new.

Why does no one like the idea of remastering Undertow? BTW, "remaster" doesn't mean "release with b-sides".

5th Eye
04-07-2011, 02:11 PM

I think they have em at Hot Topic still, for like $15? I dunno

Bogart
04-07-2011, 02:16 PM
I think a live DVD spanning their career is a definite possibility. I'm getting hard just thinking about it. They've recorded so many concerts and I think they will put it out at the right time.

InertUniformity
04-07-2011, 02:24 PM
I don't think they really have to top themselves. They can produce an amazing album album and rejuvenate themselves. That seems hard to imagine happening, but that's the way music is. If a band is coming out and I can predict what their album is going to sound like, it probably won't be that exciting. I can't even predict what a new tool song would sound like if the band didn't change their style at all. That's a good sign.

I also thought about bringing up King Crimson, but there are so many differences between the two bands that might explain KC's changes in style. The group would hibernate every so many years and come back with a very different lineup and into a very different music scene. It's not to say that Tool couldn't change their sound like that, but that seems unlikely.

I agree that the Tool is still capable of putting out a great record - they are all talented enough, no doubt about it. Its just that I see Tool as a band that is really at their best when the music is angst-driven. In fact, I kind of see that as part of their identity, no?

People may disagree and point to Lateralus as a counterpoint, but I think Lateralus was something of an anomoly, that is to say, I believe Lateralus was a watershed record for the the band, especially MJK in that it had a real coming-of-age feel to it - the lyrical content really made it seems like MJK was tired of the negative, satirical approach to making music, or even living life (ie "give away the stone"). I think it would be probably be difficult for the band to re-capture that vibe again, and really would they even want to? It would seem kind of disingenous. I guess I'm assuming that people only come of age once in their life...

I guess what it comes down to, for me, is MJKs role in the band. Because when I say that Tool's music is agnst driven, I'm primarily talking about him. I just get the feeling that he has gotten everything he can out of Tool, maybe its been a cathartic experience, maybe not. In either case you just have to wonder what he is going to be angry about on the next record, and if he isn't angry, and he isn't spiritual (a la Lateralus) then what role will he play?

The other side of Tools identity (that being the percussive, precise, psychedelic, jam band) can easily thrive w or w/o MJK. More than anything else I'm really curious as to how Maynard will approach the next Tool record.

tooldude
04-07-2011, 03:36 PM

melvins - stoner witch ?

5th Eye
04-07-2011, 03:43 PM
boredoms - vision creation newsun, if you count wow2 as an album; if not, seadrum/house of sun is still a classic imo.

Neel
04-07-2011, 03:49 PM
I agree that the Tool is still capable of putting out a great record - they are all talented enough, no doubt about it. Its just that I see Tool as a band that is really at their best when the music is angst-driven. In fact, I kind of see that as part of their identity, no?

People may disagree and point to Lateralus as a counterpoint, but I think Lateralus was something of an anomoly, that is to say, I believe Lateralus was a watershed record for the the band, especially MJK in that it had a real coming-of-age feel to it - the lyrical content really made it seems like MJK was tired of the negative, satirical approach to making music, or even living life (ie "give away the stone"). I think it would be probably be difficult for the band to re-capture that vibe again, and really would they even want to? It would seem kind of disingenous. I guess I'm assuming that people only come of age once in their life...

I guess what it comes down to, for me, is MJKs role in the band. Because when I say that Tool's music is agnst driven, I'm primarily talking about him. I just get the feeling that he has gotten everything he can out of Tool, maybe its been a cathartic experience, maybe not. In either case you just have to wonder what he is going to be angry about on the next record, and if he isn't angry, and he isn't spiritual (a la Lateralus) then what role will he play?

The other side of Tools identity (that being the percussive, precise, psychedelic, jam band) can easily thrive w or w/o MJK. More than anything else I'm really curious as to how Maynard will approach the next Tool record.

I would probably agree with you in a sense. I would definitely think of Lateralus as a profoundly positive album overall, and I would agree that they should not just attempt to make another lateralus. They have probably moved past that. Still, I don't think aging and learning stops once you "come of age," and I think that Maynard has a very strong ability to write about the human experience as he and many of his fans see it. I think that songs like Jambi, Intension, and to an extent, Right in Two still have that vibe. To expect an entire album of that sort of material might be a stretch at this point. I also don't think that songs of that nature are mutually exclusive from angry songs.

Whatever it is that they put out, I'm sure I will like it. I can't say that enough. I would hope that they continue to evolve without losing the sense of mystery and profundity that I feel is the prmary factors of Aenima and Lateralus that drew me to them. These factors are not quite as present in their other works, but they are not absent either.

InertUniformity
04-07-2011, 04:09 PM
The Beatles - Revolver

Haha, I stand corrected, but really, how good would Tool's next record have to be in order for it be considered their "Revolver"? I suppose it IS possible, though.

Also, someone mentioned the Melvins - Stoner Witch as a good 7th album. So I guess it is possible for a band to stay motivated and excited through 7 albums, still though, weren't the Melvins and the Beatles both pretty young when those albums were released, respectively?

-EDIT-

I don't want to give people the impression that I'm not excited for the next record, I really am, I'm just the type of person who gets pleasure out of looking at discographies (in this case Tools) and kind of "studying" the overall trajectory from one album to the next. In other words, I am an over-analytical jack-ass....

dan
04-07-2011, 04:45 PM
I am an over-analytical jack-ass....

You are in the right place, and among friends.

Neel
04-07-2011, 06:06 PM
You are in the right place, and among friends.

Tell me about it. I'm pretty sure that's why tool fans like the band. It gives them something to read into.

base metal
04-07-2011, 06:30 PM
I think a live DVD spanning their career is a definite possibility. I'm getting hard just thinking about it. They've recorded so many concerts and I think they will put it out at the right time.

I think a live DVD will be their farewell.

Neel
04-07-2011, 07:09 PM

I have thought of that as well. If that was the case, it would be even better if it was career-spanning.

Underalus
04-07-2011, 08:04 PM
I have a really good bootleg compilation DVD called 4 Degrees. It has their JC Dobbs show from '92, their London show from '94, and a New York show each for '98 and '02. I wonder if it's floating around the net. Anyone else have it?

InertUniformity
04-08-2011, 09:36 AM

I tend to agree with this.

Something that should also be considered: given the extent of time that the band has been recording live performances, it is very possible that they will release multiple live DVDs over the course of 3 or 4 years. At first some people may think this is a good thing (and maybe it is), but personally I would be annoyed. Its a marketing trend, like the Starcraft 2 not featuring every campaign in the original product (yeah I went there) - or DLC in general. Commodities tend to get split up like that now-a-days.

With that being said, I highly doubt the band will want to water-down their swan song, if thats what it turns out to be.

CrownOfNegativity
04-08-2011, 09:43 AM
Eh, Tool touring a couple years without an album to promote was pretty great. Saw the inclusion of Third Eye and Intolerance, which was great. With a new album, I don't think those songs get played. Who knows.

If Tool are going to keep at their pace anyway, I'd rather see APC tours/album and Tool mini tours than hearing random news of a potential new album every 4 months for 3 years. Yo.

elusivEuphoria
04-08-2011, 10:05 AM
I tend to agree with this.

Something that should also be considered: given the extent of time that the band has been recording live performances, it is very possible that they will release multiple live DVDs over the course of 3 or 4 years. At first some people may think this is a good thing (and maybe it is), but personally I would be annoyed. Its a marketing trend, like the Starcraft 2 not featuring every campaign in the original product (yeah I went there) - or DLC in general. Commodities tend to get split up like that now-a-days.

My Thoughts, they are these.

Neel
04-08-2011, 10:23 AM
I can definitely feel you guys on the live dvd thing, but I wouldn't have that much of a problem with it. These days, there are bands who are selling downloads of every single show they go to, which takes it to the extreme. I think releasing several live dvd's over the course of a few years would be amazing and, frankly, unprecedented. They could be out there, but I have never heard of a band that releases live videos of their performances that frequently. There are few bands that warrant it.

All in all, I mostly just think it would be much cooler if they released a single career spanning live package. Hopefully it was just be their career up until that point, if you catch my drift.

InertUniformity
04-08-2011, 01:23 PM
Regarding the next album, does anyone agree with me that Alex Grey should play a smaller role in the art direction?

dan
04-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Regarding the next album, does anyone agree with me that Alex Grey should play a smaller role in the art direction?

But then he wouldnt be able to milk his association with Tool! The dude has got to eat.

slamminsalmon
04-08-2011, 03:05 PM
i wouldnt mind seeing another artist they find inspiring, and not as dark as chet zar.

@dan ill cut you.

InertUniformity
04-08-2011, 04:11 PM
As far as the packaging goes, I'm hoping for a totally new and unexpected color palate for the next album. They don't need to reinvent the wheel as far as packaging goes, it might even be nice them to see them do something minimalistic, relatively speaking.

I would be fine with that as long as the music content is up to par.

As an alternative the band could release the first Nano album. It comes in the mail in the form of a pill, which you then consume, and voila! the album begins to play in your head! I suppose there would be issues if you wanted to listen to the album twice. Perhaps the pill would also put the listener in a coma. Wow what an album that would be!

hellboy1975
04-08-2011, 05:52 PM
Just read an interview with Danny in a recent Australian drum magazine DRUMscene. He talks pretty extensively about the album, live DVD and more. Check out the highlights here:

http://www.fourtheye.net/2011/04/danny-carey-interview-in-drumscene/

/plug

Mosis
04-08-2011, 06:23 PM
that makes my giney tingle

thanks mang

edit: what's this about a lambourghini?

Bogart
04-08-2011, 06:42 PM
edit: what's this about a lambourghini?

Danny rolls in a Lambo mang

elusivEuphoria
04-08-2011, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the detailed summary hellboy. Any idea what the aus dollar equates to in USD? I'm thinking of snagging a copy.

Neel
04-08-2011, 07:24 PM
Just read an interview with Danny in a recent Australian drum magazine DRUMscene. He talks pretty extensively about the album, live DVD and more. Check out the highlights here:

/plug

Man, I really want to read that interview. Sounds like it was more informative than anything else they put out. A DC dvd and a live dvd are both things I would eat up.

tooldude
04-08-2011, 09:54 PM

agree. i'm over alex grey

T-13h
04-08-2011, 10:35 PM
As an alternative the band could release the first Nano album. It comes in the mail in the form of a pill, which you then consume, and voila! the album begins to play in your head! I suppose there would be issues if you wanted to listen to the album twice. Perhaps the pill would also put the listener in a coma. Wow what an album that would be!

I have my suspicions, but I see no particular reason not to embrace that opinion.

hellboy1975
04-09-2011, 02:58 AM
Man, I really want to read that interview. Sounds like it was more informative than anything else they put out. A DC dvd and a live dvd are both things I would eat up.

I will scan the interview at a future point, especially for non-Australian fans. But in fairness to the magazine I won't do so straight away.

hellboy1975
04-09-2011, 02:59 AM
Thanks for the detailed summary hellboy. Any idea what the aus dollar equates to in USD? I'm thinking of snagging a copy.
The Aussie dollar and US dollar are roughly the same at the moment (I think the Aussie dollar is worth a couple more right now).

Neel
04-09-2011, 06:23 AM
I will scan the interview at a future point, especially for non-Australian fans. But in fairness to the magazine I won't do so straight away.

That's respectable. Thanks!

Michał
04-11-2011, 08:15 AM
Somebody has already posted the photos of that interview on Fourtheye:
http://img858.imageshack.us/img858/9580/dsc2319a.jpg
http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/1836/dsc2320a.jpg
http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/7624/dsc2321a.jpg
Quality is not so-so, but definitely readable.

Neel
04-11-2011, 09:45 AM
Somebody has already posted the photos of that interview on Fourtheye:
http://img858.imageshack.us/img858/9580/dsc2319a.jpg
http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/1836/dsc2320a.jpg
http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/7624/dsc2321a.jpg
Quality is not so-so, but definitely readable.

Yeah, I read the first page or so. It got to the point where I decided I could wait for a better scan, but it was cool of him to post them.

Disappointingly, I got a different vibe from Danny about a drumming dvd when I actually read the text. It seems like he was more inclined to do a video for drumchannel, which really does short clips of drum solos. I had interpreted the original news post as him already wanting to do a full length drumming dvd, which seemed like something he was receptive to, but not necessarily thinking about doing this year.

InertUniformity
04-11-2011, 10:58 AM

/plug

So, should I be happy that the first four songs are similar to Jambi in that they utilize "polyrythyms?" And Danny wants the band to write "shorter songs", and wants the album to have 8 tracks? Hmm, sounds like Tool is cooking up their own version of King of Limbs...

hellboy1975
04-11-2011, 03:35 PM
So, should I be happy that the first four songs are similar to Jambi in that they utilize "polyrythyms?" And Danny wants the band to write "shorter songs", and wants the album to have 8 tracks? Hmm, sounds like Tool is cooking up their own version of King of Limbs...
I doubt Danny was including segues when he mentioned 4 songs was about half way.

Neel
04-11-2011, 05:37 PM
I doubt Danny was including segues when he mentioned 4 songs was about half way.

It would be super lame if he did. "We're about halfway done with this clip of a lightbulb turning on slowed down and out of phase. It's really going to tie the album together."

InertUniformity
04-12-2011, 07:47 AM
And lets be honest, segues are probably a "final touch" to be added after the meat and potatoes has already been taken care of. How retarded would it be if Useful Idiot was the first song that the band wrote for Aenima.

4 songs sounds like what I would expect at this point, I just wonder what he means when he compares the new stuff to jambi. Dont we all though.

hushypushy
04-14-2011, 08:39 PM
It would be super lame if he did. "We're about halfway done with this clip of a lightbulb turning on slowed down and out of phase. It's really going to tie the album together."

Well, they recorded the cat, now just to slow it way down....give them some time

Neel
04-25-2011, 06:54 PM
The tool news page has a bit about Aloke Dutta that was put up today. At the end of the bit, Blair says "Also, be looking for a possible tabla performance by Aloke on a future recording..."

Knowing his track record, he is probably talking about a future recording of Volto at the baked potato. Still, it could be tool related.

hellboy1975
04-25-2011, 07:54 PM
The tool news page has a bit about Aloke Dutta that was put up today. At the end of the bit, Blair says "Also, be looking for a possible tabla performance by Aloke on a future recording..."

Knowing his track record, he is probably talking about a future recording of Volto at the baked potato. Still, it could be tool related.
Yeah, I noticed that as well. I've been told somewhat reliably that Volto have recorded recently, though I don't think that Aloke is really a good fit for a Volto record.

Also interesting though possibly not related was a post from Aaron Harris just today:

Did some top secret experiments today at Joe Barresi's studio. Got to play Joe's Vistalite kit http://t.co/BJiHZ1a
Given that Aaron is Danny's drum tech at the moment, and Joe might be recording the new Tool album, this may have some significance, though it's vague enough it could be anything...

Mosis
04-25-2011, 08:58 PM
it doesn't really make sense for tool to feature aloke dutta (again), especially on a studio recording, given how far danny's come on the tabla.