PDA

View Full Version : oh sorry. i'd give you all my spare change, if i had any...

silverysights
11-07-2010, 08:37 PM
there's all sorts of crazy shit going on in a chord analysis of this piece that i can't explain right now because i have no staff paper or attention span. all i can say is that the tonic and dominant have a freaky naughty relationship, and that is what makes this such a good cover.

i just had to replay the intro 3-4 times to work out my frustration and acceptance of my own obliviousness of what is going on harmonically. The redeeming part of this is maynard james kazoo in the background adding that un-uuuusual texture.

they grandly succeed in re-painting, re-creatively evoking cold winter darkness, reminding us of the snowfall flakes of zeppelin's synth, but keeping it thick and shadowy as i'm sure we like it. at least, i like it. you do too, right?

SUDDENLY, we're rising up in some hell-blizzard wave of desperation as they ride the crazy dissidence of that ii chord like your mother, ii-vi-ii, ii-vi-ii, to bring that news that must get through, and rising up to the dominant and crunching out that riff like

3:55 - i simply love the Major 3rd keenan tacks on at the end of that melisma of "ohhhh"; it's lovely and adds a curious angle, escaping plant for something a little different.