PDA

View Full Version : Get out while you can.

PessimisticOptimist
07-31-2010, 05:16 PM
This song has taken on a very personal meaning for me.

I had a friend with whom I was practically brothers with from grade school, all the way up through high school. Over the years, we gradually found our way into the party scene and began to drink and eventually (inevitably) we found drugs too. I began to notice more and more, from the first time we ever drank as kids and on up, that as people, he and I took very different approaches to life. Whereas I usually liked to be informed before making decisions, he would rather dive in head first with reckless abandon. When I would make mistakes, I would strive to learn from them and use them as a frame of reference. While he would repeat them time and time again. (I hope people don't think I'm trying to paint a picture of myself as a saint here, because I was getting in just as much trouble as he was, but like I said. Different approaches.)

His mom didn't have the desire to be a parent and as a result she wasn't much of one. His dad was an alcoholic red neck and was never really a prominent figure in his life. My own parents realized this too and also recognized him as one of the family. He stayed with us quite a bit, especially throughout junior high, and these were good times. We had fun; we got into trouble, nothing too serious. Typical kid stuff, but as we got older so did the kid stuff. Pretty soon I began to notice my friend seeking out things that would lead to bigger and bigger trouble. And for a short time, I reluctantly followed. Not so much in admiration, but more so out of fear of losing a close friend.

Finally, we were arrested together for what eventually became, "burglary" (but that's a story on its own) spent a night in the detention center, and were sentenced to probation. This was the turning point for me. Where I decided I was no longer going to follow my friend into the bog anymore. I hadn't given up on him though. I decided that perhaps I could help my friend see it for what it was. Perhaps I could warn him. I could ask him to get out while he still had a chance.

Just as in lyrics of this song, my warning also meant nothing. I finally had to stop hanging out with him all together because he could never relax and enjoy life. Which I’m fairly sure he took as yet another person in his life just abandoning him, but I tried. I warned. I informed him as much as I could, but I had already made my own decision and I wasn't going to stumble in after him.

Now, I still drink. I smoke a little dope. For a time I had my fun with hallucinogens. Point is, I was never trying to tell him to be a fucking square, or to look to religion, or anything as condescending as that. My warning, and the warning I attribute much of this song to being about, was of the dangers of overindulgence. I have been fortunate enough in this life to have had parents that passed on these warnings to me without misconstruing the intended message. Which is why I felt as his best friend it was up to me to pass along these warnings of which I myself was already benefiting from.

A few years later, save for a few belligerent late night phone calls from him and stories passed on by mutual friends, I had not heard much from my old friend. What I did hear, progressively escalated (as was and has always been his pattern) until one day I read in the local blotter that he had been arrested again, but this time he was being charged with statutory rape. My friend was now lost in the swamp, and it was more than likely that the kid who I once knew so well would never come back again.

There are many meanings that can be taken from (or given to) this song. This is how I relate.

Inner_Eulogy
08-02-2010, 09:30 AM

I had a friend with whom I was practically brothers with from grade school, all the way up through high school. Over the years, we gradually found our way into the party scene and began to drink and eventually (inevitably) we found drugs too. I began to notice more and more, from the first time we ever drank as kids and on up, that as people, he and I took very different approaches to life. Whereas I usually liked to be informed before making decisions, he would rather dive in head first with reckless abandon. When I would make mistakes, I would strive to learn from them and use them as a frame of reference. While he would repeat them time and time again. (I hope people don't think I'm trying to paint a picture of myself as a saint here, because I was getting in just as much trouble as he was, but like I said. Different approaches.)

His mom didn't have the desire to be a parent and as a result she wasn't much of one. His dad was an alcoholic red neck and was never really a prominent figure in his life. My own parents realized this too and also recognized him as one of the family. He stayed with us quite a bit, especially throughout junior high, and these were good times. We had fun; we got into trouble, nothing too serious. Typical kid stuff, but as we got older so did the kid stuff. Pretty soon I began to notice my friend seeking out things that would lead to bigger and bigger trouble. And for a short time, I reluctantly followed. Not so much in admiration, but more so out of fear of losing a close friend.

Finally, we were arrested together for what eventually became, "burglary" (but that's a story on its own) spent a night in the detention center, and were sentenced to probation. This was the turning point for me. Where I decided I was no longer going to follow my friend into the bog anymore. I hadn't given up on him though. I decided that perhaps I could help my friend see it for what it was. Perhaps I could warn him. I could ask him to get out while he still had a chance.

Just as in lyrics of this song, my warning also meant nothing. I finally had to stop hanging out with him all together because he could never relax and enjoy life. Which I’m fairly sure he took as yet another person in his life just abandoning him, but I tried. I warned. I informed him as much as I could, but I had already made my own decision and I wasn't going to stumble in after him.

Now, I still drink. I smoke a little dope. For a time I had my fun with hallucinogens. Point is, I was never trying to tell him to be a fucking square, or to look to religion, or anything as condescending as that. My warning, and the warning I attribute much of this song to being about, was of the dangers of overindulgence. I have been fortunate enough in this life to have had parents that passed on these warnings to me without misconstruing the intended message. Which is why I felt as his best friend it was up to me to pass along these warnings of which I myself was already benefiting from.

A few years later, save for a few belligerent late night phone calls from him and stories passed on by mutual friends, I had not heard much from my old friend. What I did hear, progressively escalated (as was and has always been his pattern) until one day I read in the local blotter that he had been arrested again, but this time he was being charged with statutory rape. My friend was now lost in the swamp, and it was more than likely that the kid who I once knew so well would never come back again.

There are many meanings that can be taken from (or given to) this song. This is how I relate.

Well that sucks....good for you to take yourself out of that situation though...as much as it sucks to lose a friend, he only would've dragged you under with him had you stayed

PessimisticOptimist
08-02-2010, 10:43 AM
Not gonna lie. I thought it would be quite awhile (perhaps never) before you and I found something that we agree on. I suppose I should thank you for reading my whole post this time instead of focusing on a single line from it... Wait. No I shouldn't.

Inner_Eulogy
08-03-2010, 09:48 AM
Not gonna lie. I thought it would be quite awhile (perhaps never) before you and I found something that we agree on. I suppose I should thank you for reading my whole post this time instead of focusing on a single line from it... Wait. No I shouldn't.

To be honest, I don't have the slightest memory of talking to, with or about you ever before...then again, I have a crap memory.

In my defense, if you could call it that, I usually don't rip on anyone these days much anymore unless it's utter nonsense they're talking or stating something that just isn't factual.

Oh well...you still made the right decision whether you want to thank me or not...not that it affects me one way or another.

PessimisticOptimist
08-12-2010, 03:38 AM
I believe you referred to me as an, "obsessive fanboy." Which made me chuckle a bit. Considering your 6,000 something posts. If someone presents opinion as fact its one thing to point it out. However, when that opinion is stated as such from beginning to end. I find it hypocritical to cut and paste a single line from it, out of context, in order to suite your opinion of them. An opinion which was quite premature to begin with apparently.

Inner_Eulogy
08-13-2010, 09:18 AM
I believe you referred to me as an, "obsessive fanboy." Which made me chuckle a bit. Considering your 6,000 something posts. If someone presents opinion as fact its one thing to point it out. However, when that opinion is stated as such from beginning to end. I find it hypocritical to cut and paste a single line from it, out of context, in order to suite your opinion of them. An opinion which was quite premature to begin with apparently.

If you say so...now for here's Tom with the weather

04-27-2011, 02:06 PM

Hey man thats a really sad story... I wish Maynard could have read this, I bet even he would have gone out of his way to say something about it and how it gives meaning to a song he wrote, I bet he'd be touched by it too, but in an apathetic way. Atleast whenever I listen to this song from now on its going to bring out a different emotion in me. I can't say I've had a very close friend I knew who ignored my warning per say, but I've seen what being reckless can do to people, including myself. I feel like this song really should be a metaphor for making wise decisions (or a lack thereof).