PDA

View Full Version : odd song out?

mr3rdeye420
04-30-2010, 10:29 AM
Hm.. all of lateralus is fucking epic..

Altho, i always wondered about this song..

Cuz like, pretty much all the other songs on this album, have to do with personal evolution/forgiveness/inner healing...

Cept this song is just plain angry lol..

Like, ticks and leeches is a song you play whilst invading a country imo.

lolz, I actually avoid listening to it cuz like, its just got such a different vibe from the other songs on lateralus..

Any1 else feel that Tool wrote ticks and leeches on a day when they were just plain fucking pissed?

Rolo
04-30-2010, 11:18 AM

Cuz like, pretty much all the other songs on this album, have to do with personal evolution/forgiveness/inner healing...

lolz, I actually avoid listening to it cuz like, its just got such a different vibe from the other songs on lateralus..

Any1 else feel that Tool wrote ticks and leeches on a day when they were just plain fucking pissed?

Even IF they just wrote it on a "pissed off" day, they still decided to place it on the album. So i guess they felt it was needed in the actual concept.

mcnadd
04-30-2010, 12:23 PM
your crazy to skip this song. it was written back in the undertow days, thats why its got its different feel to it

RiseToYourHalo
05-04-2010, 04:20 AM

Stoned musings about this song from years ago:

Ticks and Leeches illustrates a contrast between ego and divine perspectives. The song sounds like an ego temper tantrum and it is placed perfectly before Lateralus. The first words of that divine song are ‘black then white.’

The two states of mind are contrasted musically and emotionally within the song, in the movement from angry notes and screams, to dreamy, relaxing sounds, then - with a pound - screams again.

It also connects to The Grudge. The theme there is giving, in T & L it is taking.

blood-sucking parasitic little tick
taken all you can, taken all you can fuckin' take
got nothing left to give to you.

+

unable to forgive your scarlet lettermen
give away the stone
let go

The ego would rather suck blood from a stone than forgive.

And, you’re missing out if you avoid listening to this masterpiece. Anyone who can maintain calm abiding peace while meditating to this song, while simultaneously feeling every note and scream, is officially riding the spiral of divinity while still a human. That pound makes me flinch every time!

mr3rdeye420
05-04-2010, 09:25 AM

Ticks and Leeches illustrates a contrast between ego and divine perspectives. The song sounds like an ego temper tantrum and it is placed perfectly before Lateralus. The first words of that divine song are ‘black then white.’

The two states of mind are contrasted musically and emotionally within the song, in the movement from angry notes and screams, to dreamy, relaxing sounds, then - with a pound - screams again.

It also connects to The Grudge. The theme there is giving, in T & L it is taking.

+

give away the stone
let go

And, you’re missing out if you avoid listening to this masterpiece. Anyone who can maintain calm abiding peace while meditating to this song, while simultaneously feeling every note and scream, is officially riding the spiral of divinity while still a human. That pound makes me flinch every time!

lol, dude thats actually not a bad way to look at it.

i'm gunna roll a fat 1, hotbox the patio, and attempt this haha...

Inner_Eulogy
05-05-2010, 05:41 PM

+

give away the stone
let go

Actually, that song was written about their previous record company and lawyers that they battled prior to Aenima's release and their "new" record deal at that time.

RiseToYourHalo
05-07-2010, 03:56 PM
lol, dude thats actually not a bad way to look at it.

i'm gunna roll a fat 1, hotbox the patio, and attempt this haha...

Hope that puff plan worked out well fer ya.

RiseToYourHalo
05-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Actually, that song was written about their previous record company and lawyers that they battled prior to Aenima's release and their "new" record deal at that time.

I know, IE. This song just makes me think that Maynard was aware of how his ego was reacting as he was experiencing that. The Grudge may have been written as an acknowledgement that he was able to forgive and move on.